HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
my dream....."the Edmonton Eskimos have just announced that Kavis Reed" and his coaching staff have been fired"....problem is, how do we replace them mid season? with whom and where do we find them?
Highly unlikely Reed or anyone on this staff gets replaced during a season that is pretty much lost. However, if Hervey doesn't sit down at the end of this year and seriously assess what has happened with his coaching staff this year, then there is no hope.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
How can any sane person keep this coaching staff?

I have never witnessed such inept coaching in all the years I've been a fan. It has been nothing short of disastrous.

I hope Reilly knows how much the fans appreciate his heart. He's about the only one that I'm proud of at the moment.

How do you not come up with some sort of play to get the league's best receiver open?
Or perhaps assume that the opposition will be throwing a 3 man cover blanket over your best receiver, meaning other guys must have a more than reasonable chance of being open in a short, higher percentage short yardage play to get a necessary first down.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:34 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ooh, timing post. First catch in 3 games and you think you got a ringer here? lol Coehoorn was solely responsible for the interception that led to a TD against early in the game.

Desperate.

Go back to sleep.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Tough one, but we certainly didn't deserve to win by playing good football for half of a quarter and not showing up for the rest. This team was not ready to play from the opening whistle onward. Gutsy effort by Reilly once again, after getting pummelled repeatedly by a non-existent offensive line. Another "moral" victory for the team.
exactly.

now Reed will put lipstick on this pig of a ballclub and tell us how close they were and some bad luck prevented a win. how proud he is of the compete level.

the team played like garbage for the majority of the game and deserved to lose.
especially the O line.
I will give credit to the defense. a few brain farts, but in the first half I thought they played very well, despite the hole the offense kept putting them into.

the esks are a reflection of the coaching.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
Gotta give the Stamps credit. Their defence is really good and they had an excellent game plan. They were all over Rielly and completely neutralized the Eskimo receivers for three quarters.

Enough complaining about the coaches already. The players need to make plays and they didn't do that until the Stamps took their foot of the gas. I think the criticism needs to be focused on the lack of talent on this team in key positions. The Esks need to do everything in the realm of possibility this off season to improve the Oline and secondary. The Oline especially is as bad as I have seen in 20+ years of watching CFL football. The secondary isn't far behind.
there could be improvements in the players but the coaches have such a crap gameplan and keep making stupid decisions. at least half of the esks losses are because of coaching, not the players on the field.

I don't understand how you can think the coaching isn't a problem. you think they've done that good of a job?

Old
09-02-2013, 09:25 PM
AJGass4

Good point Stoneman.

Nothing in our offensive plays shows any sign of a capable OC. Week after week it's the same crap and what's worse is the fact that our defense seems to not be ready to play and we have the softest secondary in the league. I'm beginning to think they are all blind.

This sit back and watch the other team's receivers have 10 yards open on each possible side of them, along with front and back is somewhat amazing.i

Old
09-02-2013, 09:34 PM
MoneyGuy

I think the rot on this team is primarily with the coaches. Particularly the head coach and the defensive coaches. Marshall can't get it done - that's clear. We have no linebackers coach, and it shows in their play. I love Kavis and he's a very smart man, but he isn't a head coach. I didn't think this three weeks ago, but you can expect him to be gone at season's end, barring a major reversal of fortunes.

Exciting end to the game and we had a chance to pull it out, but alas. Close again, but close only counts in hand grenades and hugging.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Feel free to elaborate then.

Coehoorn is useless. Play after play he gets reps where he has weak coverage. One on one coverage if that. Despite that he fails to run effective patterns, fails to get open, fails to get separation. Chronically. So the Eskimos get him deep on an iso on weakside coverage. But instead of using the advantage on that play and being in position to catch a ball he gets absolutely owned inside by the defender. Which happens time and time again with still learning Nate. Not only does Coehoorn allow the pick on that play he commits the cardinal error of neglecting to even haul the guy down. Because Coehoorn is too busy flying through the air after the slightest of touches.

A good reciever makes a living on 50-50 balls. If you believe anything else maybe you should start paying attention. The offensive club has the overwhelming advantage in one on one of knowing where the ball is going to go, knowing what the pattern is, and being able to have initiative on the play. Vast majority of times in one on one its a completion. Its what you WANT to generate as a football team. These are the situations that are meant to lead to success.

Not sure if Coehoorn was trying for a P I call on the play or what the hell he was doing. But as he was diving in the dirt once again the Stamps D was running it for a big and dangerous return.

Coehoorn has one catch in the last 3 games playing with a QB that is having little trouble getting completions. Although, yeah, I know, somehow in your view Reilly is at fault..

Last edited by Replacement: 09-02-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old
09-02-2013, 10:37 PM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
there could be improvements in the players but the coaches have such a crap gameplan and keep making stupid decisions. at least half of the esks losses are because of coaching, not the players on the field.

I don't understand how you can think the coaching isn't a problem. you think they've done that good of a job?
Believe me, I'm as unhappy with the coaching as every other fan. However, I think that if players are making plays...the coaching errors are going to be mimimalized. I agree that the game plans are ill prepared and some of the game time strategies are questionable, but if the players execute their positions the coaches don't become as involved in the outcome of games.

Our Oline needs to perform..so the offence can execute. The play calling is limited by the lack of performance. Same can be said for the secondary. If the players can't cover, can't tackle, and can't antticipate the play...then what is the coach to do on the sidelines.

Hervey brought in Willis and let Brown walk. Hervey underestimated the talent on the Oline. Hervey failed to bring in a kick returner. Hervey resigned an aging and out of date Chris Thompson(although he was good today). The list goes on.

The only good moves he made are the Rielly trade(a big plus) and re-upping Fred Stamps and Sherrit.

I want changes to the player personnel as a priority in the off season.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
What a dog-**** team.

Straight up embarrassing.

Where are all the Hervey fans now?

Old
09-02-2013, 11:58 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Feel free to elaborate then.

Coehoorn is useless. Play after play he gets reps where he has weak coverage. One on one coverage if that. Despite that he fails to run effective patterns, fails to get open, fails to get separation. Chronically. So the Eskimos get him deep on an iso on weakside coverage. But instead of using the advantage on that play and being in position to catch a ball he gets absolutely owned inside by the defender. Which happens time and time again with still learning Nate. Not only does Coehoorn allow the pick on that play he commits the cardinal error of neglecting to even haul the guy down. Because Coehoorn is too busy flying through the air after the slightest of touches.

A good reciever makes a living on 50-50 balls. If you believe anything else maybe you should start paying attention. The offensive club has the overwhelming advantage in one on one of knowing where the ball is going to go, knowing what the pattern is, and being able to have initiative on the play. Vast majority of times in one on one its a completion. Its what you WANT to generate as a football team. These are the situations that are meant to lead to success.

Not sure if Coehoorn was trying for a P I call on the play or what the hell he was doing. But as he was diving in the dirt once again the Stamps D was running it for a big and dangerous return.

Coehoorn has one catch in the last 3 games playing with a QB that is having little trouble getting completions. Although, yeah, I know, somehow in your view Reilly is at fault..
It was a terrible thow...period

Reilly was rolling out and the edge collapsed on him forcing him bascially to backstep and throw while he was on one foot. Terrible mechanics, your basically giving up several degrees of control and are taking alot off of a ball throwing this way

To a WR who wasn't getting seperation and who had terrible positioning on the DB

I don't disagree Coehorn was having trouble getting open, he fell trying to get positioned properly and the momentum from some hand fighting. There was no diving

You can't make that throw..especially in the 1st qrt

Basically the 4th game this year where Reilly has been inaccurate, sailed balls, threw timely picks and then turned on the gas when the opposition went prevent and put no pressure on him

How many minutes has he had this offence in the lead this year??

Old
09-03-2013, 12:00 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Have you seen our defense?

You lay the blame at the feet of our rookie starting qb?

Now Ive seen everything.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Reilly was rolling out and the edge collapsed on him forcing him bascially to backstep and throw while he was on one foot. Terrible mechanics, your basically giving up several degrees of control and are taking alot off of a ball throwing this way

To a WR who wasn't getting seperation and who had terrible positioning on the DB

I don't disagree Coehorn was having trouble getting open, he fell trying to get positioned properly and the momentum from some hand fighting. There was no diving

Basically the 4th game this year where Reilly has been inaccurate, sailed balls, threw timely picks and then turned on the gas when the opposition went prevent and put no pressure on him

It was a terrible throw that was around 40-50yds... lol, sure..

jebus.

Try throwing a ball that distance sometime. It is literally impossible to get that kind of distance on a ball by missthrowing it or bad mechanics. Not sure what you're saying anyway.

Reilly got that ball there. Right where Coehoorn should've been. One fatal thing happened on that play. The reciever lost inside position to the ball. Elementary. Next thing having done that he inexplicably falls down instead of even trying to interfere with the play. Just got owned like he wasn't even there. Having guys like this is like playing short one man on every down.

ps The Eskimos had the lead 3 different times in the game just last week. If the D didn't keep destructing we would've won the game.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-03-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old
09-03-2013, 12:40 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
It was a terrible throw that was around 40-50yds... lol, sure..

jebus.

Try throwing a ball that distance sometime. It is literally impossible to get that kind of distance on a ball by missthrowing it or bad mechanics. Not sure what you're saying anyway.

Reilly got that ball there. Right where Coehoorn should've been. One fatal thing happened on that play. The reciever lost inside position to the ball. Elementary. Next thing having done that he inexplicably falls down instead of even trying to interfere with the play. Just got owned like he wasn't even there. Having guys like this is like playing short one man on every down.

ps The Eskimos had the lead 3 different times in the game just last week. If the D didn't keep destructing we would've won the game.
I'm not got to argue with you all day about a QB with terrible throwing flaws, tossing contested balls up to unopen WR's

Here's Reilly's 2nd Qrt

1st pass - 2nd down and six he throws a 1 yrd checkdown to Koch that luckily we get a roughing penalty on

2nd pass - short underthrow to Henry that is dropped

3rd pass - drastically overthrows Fred Stamps

4th pass - throws a TERRIBLE ball to Marcus Henry that luckily goes threw the CB's hands, should have been an Int

5th pass - throws and endzone corner route to Stamps and misses him so bad Andre the Giant couldn't have gotten a hand on it

6th pass - throws a comeback to Henry that should have been a 1st down, got a bad spot IMO

7th pass - thows a pass to Koch wide that he has to lay out on and doesn't get

8th pass - A terrible ball to Stamps that is intercepted, just a #$#$ awful miss

9th pass - 8 yard pass to Chambers

10th pass -incomplete to Coehoorn who fails to get seperation again

11th pass - into the feet of McCarty, incomplete

So 3 for 11 and an Int

I get that he's getting hit alot and I also think someone (maybe the coaches, maybe Reilly) needs to audible off shotgun when the D has 7 on the line

But he was unbelievably bad in the 1st half and the main reason the Esks were losing

Outside of 77 yard punt return and a fumbled intereception it should have been 20-0

Every game he's sailing balls, making bad decisions at key times and throwing the ball when he doesn't have good foot work or body position

Old
09-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

That's a borderline magic trick with this defense. They give up points almost every time they take the field. How many times have they yielded a first drive touchdown?

Old
09-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Tyrolean

Esks are the least innovative team in the league and have been for many years. Their GM's fail to recruit enough quality players and the coaches are very poor at evaluating the talent they do have resulting in questionable trades and cuts.

It will continue for sure until everything is overhauled. This begins at the top where the directors firmly are in the status quo.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:53 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I think the rot on this team is primarily with the coaches. Particularly the head coach and the defensive coaches. Marshall can't get it done - that's clear. We have no linebackers coach, and it shows in their play. I love Kavis and he's a very smart man, but he isn't a head coach. I didn't think this three weeks ago, but you can expect him to be gone at season's end, barring a major reversal of fortunes.

Exciting end to the game and we had a chance to pull it out, but alas. Close again, but close only counts in hand grenades and hugging.
It was only close at the end of the game, they have to start keeping it close earlier in the game and not let it get out of hand. There was a lot of garbage time completions and points late in the 4th quarter.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I never watched the 4th until the end, but this loss is on Reilly. Even with a great 4th quarter he had Tim Tebow numbers. Over threw and under threw a lot of passes when the game was still in reach.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:35 AM
AJGass4

I guess getting steam rolled by Calgary's defence might have made Reilly a little gun shy.

Shocker!

Old
09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
joestevens29

We almost would've been better of to listen to Suitor and play Crompton in the 4th. Now CGY will make adjustments so that what happened in the 4th quarter doesn't happen next week.

Now not only will CGY figure out a way to get Cornish going, but they will find a way to shutdown Reilly.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

unrelated to the game, but can anyone tell me why hervey so far appears to refuse to speak to the media?
what could be the worst team in Eskimo history and the GM doesn't feel the need to address any of the issues surrounding the team? I would love to know what this man actually has done during the season.

Reed has been awful but Hervey leaves him out to take the bullets. hervey brought in the players in the offseason, hired the coaches, gave reed an extension, and then runs and hides.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
unrelated to the game, but can anyone tell me why hervey so far appears to refuse to speak to the media?
what could be the worst team in Eskimo history and the GM doesn't feel the need to address any of the issues surrounding the team? I would love to know what this man actually has done during the season.

Reed has been awful but Hervey leaves him out to take the bullets. hervey brought in the players in the offseason, hired the coaches, gave reed an extension, and then runs and hides.
My only hope is that he has been in the US watching various games looking for some help.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Halibut

Quote:
I get that he's getting hit alot and I also think someone (maybe the coaches, maybe Reilly) needs to audible off shotgun when the D has 7 on the line

But he was unbelievably bad in the 1st half and the main reason the Esks were losing

Outside of 77 yard punt return and a fumbled intereception it should have been 20-0

Every game he's sailing balls, making bad decisions at key times and throwing the ball when he doesn't have good foot work or body position
Blaming the loses on Reilly? Really? That's about the most idiotic thing I've heard on here. This is exactly the same thing that happened with Ray by the end, he was taking flack for the rest of the teams failures and that's the only way to pin this on Reilly.

Our problems start with the O-line. It's not just when the D has 7 on the line that they were getting pressure. Reilly was regularly taking hits when the D really only had 3 or 4 guys coming. Our o-line is so bad that even when they out man the opposition they are barely holding back the rush at all. Reilly took a hit on almost every play, he was probably the safest when he ran it himself since then at least he had the option to slide.

Our defence hasnt been able to stop anyone. They gave up 17 points in the first quarter, took horrendous penalties all game including the pass interference calls and only started to actually stop the Stamps once a fluke injury took Glenn out of the game for Calgary.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What a dog-**** team.

Straight up embarrassing.

Where are all the Hervey fans now?
I won't duck from you on this one, Liquor. I was all in when he was hired and thought he could turn this thing around. I realize it's only the first year, but his failure to bring in a bonafide return man has already cost us Hugh Charles for at least one game, not to mention having to utilize other players that should be concentrating on their own positions. He spoke of getting bigger, faster, tougher, yet when I look at little Chris Rwabukamba getting lit up lit a Christmas tree play after play, it makes me wonder who the hell he's bringing in. As was mentioned, he totally over-estimated his Oline and a couple individuals in particular. IMO, he is on the clock with the coaching staff, as well as too many areas of the team to mention. Unless there is a dramatic turnaround,(and I'm not talking about winning 2 or 3 to end the season - I mean a complete change in how we win those games), I can't see how this coaching staff survives the off-season. I realize stability is key in any organization, but stability also assumes you have the right people in the first place.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I won't duck from you on this one, Liquor. I was all in when he was hired and thought he could turn this thing around. I realize it's only the first year, but his failure to bring in a bonafide return man has already cost us Hugh Charles for at least one game, not to mention having to utilize other players that should be concentrating on their own positions. He spoke of getting bigger, faster, tougher, yet when I look at little Chris Rwabukamba getting lit up lit a Christmas tree play after play, it makes me wonder who the hell he's bringing in. As was mentioned, he totally over-estimated his Oline and a couple individuals in particular. IMO, he is on the clock with the coaching staff, as well as too many areas of the team to mention. Unless there is a dramatic turnaround,(and I'm not talking about winning 2 or 3 to end the season - I mean a complete change in how we win those games), I can't see how this coaching staff survives the off-season. I realize stability is key in any organization, but stability also assumes you have the right people in the first place.
I think winning 3 games at the end of the regardless how it's done would equal no major changes. Not that I agree with it.

Closed Thread