HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 09:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2548
Have we added any new faces to this lineup? Seemed to me that last year every week TSN had an article about us bringing guys in. Not that it always worked, but at least Tillman was making changes trying to fix things. This year not so much.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

Bit off topic and I do feel dirty for asking this, but who are these "pundits" that are suggesting Tebow to the CFL? Everything I read on twitter has been that he can't throw the ball so he wouldn't work in the CFL.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Reilly did have a sub-par game up until the 4th quarter, but these things will happen. I've played QB at a much lower level, and I can tell you that getting constantly hit early in a game has a big effect mentally on you. Even when it doesn't happen, you assume it will, and start hurrying throws and lose track of your mechanics, the safe thing that got you there. And when that happens, the timing with your receivers goes to hell. As it has for most of the season, this starts with the O-line and finishes there. A complete lack of a run game (no blocking) and then the Stamps can pin their ears back. Reilly was getting hit nearly every single play, whether he completed the pass or not. As a rookie QB, it is going to take more time to go through reads, etc, but there were just too many plays where someone came free immediately. He didn't forget how to throw a ball. Reilly's performance had much more to do with the heat he was getting than anything else.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:50 AM
joestevens29

Tuesday night game featuring two backup Qb's, should be good for yet another piss poor crowd in Toronto.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Tuesday night game featuring two backup Qb's, should be good for yet another piss poor crowd in Toronto.
I think with certainty will be under 20K. I wonder what major event was going on all weekend to prevent the Argos from playing at Rogers.

Once when I investigated that it turned out to be the "Wiggles" bunkered down on a week long stay in a stadium..

I wish I was kidding.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM
MoneyGuy

Losing Messam and Wojt has hurt us a lot, I think; those are bad moves. Messam is a very good blocker and with our poor line that big blocking back is very important. White is a mediocre blocker. I was willing to give Hervey time, but it's looking more and more like he isn't the answer. He's spending his time doing the wrong things.

I think this management group should be torn down and rebuilt. I don't see that happening, although I expect that Kavis will be fired after the season. I think most or all of his coaching staff will also be shown the road. I don't see Hervey being fired. He's in tight with those who make those decisions. So, those who want Hervey and Rhodes gone, don't hold your breath.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I think with certainty will be under 20K. I wonder what major event was going on all weekend to prevent the Argos from playing at Rogers.

Once when I investigated that it turned out to be the "Wiggles" bunkered down on a week long stay in a stadium..

I wish I was kidding.
I doubt there was anything going on. Esks and Argos earlier this year was under 20k. And the Grey Cup rematch the following week was just over 20k. Toronto is disappointing in its attempts to draw a CFL audience. It doesn't help that Rogers Centre is a **** venue for football (but even baseball these days) and the Argos are the only sports team in Toronto not owned by MLSE.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSNRyanRishaug
Kavis stays until end of the season - Hervey.
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/s...42099411456000

Old
09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I doubt there was anything going on. Esks and Argos earlier this year was under 20k. And the Grey Cup rematch the following week was just over 20k. Toronto is disappointing in its attempts to draw a CFL audience. It doesn't help that Rogers Centre is a **** venue for football (but even baseball these days) and the Argos are the only sports team in Toronto not owned by MLSE.
Jays played everyday this weekend.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I wonder what his exact words were? Because the first response of "then what" on that twitter post is going to be the question going forward.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
joestevens29

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 20m
"With nine games left the season is not lost". - Hervey

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 19m
Reed will coach the rest of the season. Then assess things..

"We have to protect our QB" Hervey. Promises changes on the offensive line.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 16m
Simeon Rottier will not start Friday.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 15m
Hervey says it would not disappoint him if Rottier didn't play another down this year.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 4m
"Everyone's on notice" - Hervey

John MacKinnon ‏@rjmackinnon 1m
#Esks GM Ed Hervey says no one's job is safe. . . once season is over.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Not an event in my opinion. They play 160 games a year. Though, Toronto is easily more of a baseball town than a CFL town.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:40 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Not an event in my opinion. They play 160 games a year. Though, Toronto is easily more of a baseball town than a CFL town.
Event or no event, they run the Skydome and it's been an issue that the Argos have had to deal with.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
joestevens29

Well I guess Hervey at least is being vocal, now lets see if he can make the changes/additions to improve this team.

I just can't understand how they couldn't find a returner from NFL cuts or a back that can block.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 20m
"With nine games left the season is not lost". - Hervey

Reed will coach the rest of the season. Then assess things..

"We have to protect our QB" Hervey. Promises changes on the offensive line.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 16m
Simeon Rottier will not start Friday.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 15m
Hervey says it would not disappoint him if Rottier didn't play another down this year.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260 4m
"Everyone's on notice" - Hervey

John MacKinnon ‏@rjmackinnon 1m
#Esks GM Ed Hervey says no one's job is safe. . . once season is over.
Good on him for final talking. If they up and Cut Rottier now, that will say something, imo.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Good on him for final talking. If they up and Cut Rottier now, that will say something, imo.
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 4m
You have to think now the next news we hear about Simeon Rottier is his release. Can't see how he can remain with the #Eskimos now.#CFL #yeg

Old
09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
joestevens29

adam cook ‏@adamcookCTV 21m
Hervey also says there will be a new play-caller on offence. Adds everyone on notice and will be reassessed after season including HC. #yeg

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 23m
Hervey says changes will be made in personnel but Reed stays, will be evaluated at the end of the season. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

Old
09-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
I asked this morning where the heck Hervey was and why has he been silent all year.

I'm glad he finally came out of hiding. he must have also seen his shadow because he said something, too.

Sams is a dead man walking. there are a lot of other coaches that should be on the firing line, too.
starting with Kris Sweet, considering how weak the O-line has been and especially after yesterday.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

It's great and all that there's going to be all of this assessing and reassessing in the offseason, but I doubt Hervey will be under a similar microscope.

At the end of the day, the buck has to stop with him and the people HE hired or recruited.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
It's great and all that there's going to be all of this assessing and reassessing in the offseason, but I doubt Hervey will be under a similar microscope.

At the end of the day, the buck has to stop with him and the people HE hired or recruited.
If Hervey thinks that the players we have here are good enough to win then I don't understand why changing a coach would be a bad thing? I mean what good is keeping the guy that isn't getting the most out of the players you brought in and thought would compete?

If Hervey doesn't think he has the players then he should be under a microscope.

Either way this is on Hervey at this point. It's clear that things aren't working and not making any major changes in such a horrid year seems like incompetence.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:37 PM
AJGass4

Well why did it take 8 *** games for Hervey to state what we've known since week 3?

Harsh words, let's see if he follows up. I can't believe he called out Simeon when the whole line is ****.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:44 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 71
Quote:
Bit off topic and I do feel dirty for asking this, but who are these "pundits" that are suggesting Tebow to the CFL? Everything I read on twitter has been that he can't throw the ball so he wouldn't work in the CFL.
Obviously they are people who have never watched a CFL game in their lives. Tebow would be a bigger disaster up here than he is in the NFL. He can't throw which is an absolute must in 3 down football.

I remember how those "pundits" predicted Ricky Williams was going to rush for 3000 yards up here and he only got about 800. Those guys no absolutely nothing about the CFL.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Losing Messam and Wojt has hurt us a lot, I think; those are bad moves. Messam is a very good blocker and with our poor line that big blocking back is very important. White is a mediocre blocker. I was willing to give Hervey time, but it's looking more and more like he isn't the answer. He's spending his time doing the wrong things.

I think this management group should be torn down and rebuilt. I don't see that happening, although I expect that Kavis will be fired after the season. I think most or all of his coaching staff will also be shown the road. I don't see Hervey being fired. He's in tight with those who make those decisions. So, those who want Hervey and Rhodes gone, don't hold your breath.
I can't see Hervey being gone either and I'm not convinced Reed will be shown the door either unless he steps down on his own. Firing people is an admission that either wrong or at the very least poor decisions were made by the people high up in the organization (Rhodes or the board of directors). They will take their cue from the way the Oilers have conducted business over the past several seasons and just blame the poor results on the rebuild process that was necessary after the fiasco they inherited from the last regime. There is absolutely no accountability left anywhere in Edmonton's sports teams.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Not true. They played on Sunday but they were in Arizona yesterday. How long does it take to change the carpet?

Old
09-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

If they're going to make a change, they should do so right now, so that somebody like LaPolice can come in and start introducing his system, and figuring out who he wants to keep for next year.

I'd like to see us scoop Dave Dickenson from Calgary as well during the offseason.

Closed Thread