HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2013, 02:18 PM
  #426
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,925
vCash: 500
After watching Rottier act like a turnstile yesterday, you'd have to think his time was coming. Never thought the guy was nearly aggressive enough on the O-line and got worked over like no ones business. We need some nasty there.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #427
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Mark Spector forgot to take his meds again today. He wrote another "City of Losers" article.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
  #428
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Who did our fearless leaders bring in to replace Rottier? Wish Hervey would shut up if that's what he has to say. Should get us a lot of FAs with that professional statement. Be quiet and get a returner, couple of dbs, any olineman,

Show some leadership and do your job, Ed

timekeep is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:19 PM
  #429
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Rottier is a scapegoat and is not the problem. He's having a poor year but improve the line and he'd be a better player for us.

The rot on this team starts at the top, with Hervey and the coaching staff. We can't adjust to what the other teams are doing. We're making many coaching errors, especially on defence and special teams. The schemes are brutal. We have no LBs coach, which is killing the play of our front seven. Poor coaching is also severely hampering our defensive backfield. The players aren't as bad as their record, but coaching is killing us. No way do Sherritt and Burnett turn to crap in one season.

I think Hervey is safe but we could see an entirely new coaching staff next year.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:21 PM
  #430
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,881
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Not true. They played on Sunday but they were in Arizona yesterday. How long does it take to change the carpet?
My bad, not sure how I missed that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
If they're going to make a change, they should do so right now, so that somebody like LaPolice can come in and start introducing his system, and figuring out who he wants to keep for next year.

I'd like to see us scoop Dave Dickenson from Calgary as well during the offseason.
I agree. Unless of course Hervey doesn't think he has the players.

Another issue is what Spec said about how we can't expect Hervey to come in and fix everything in one year. Well the fact is this team is god ****ing awful, worse than it ever was with DM or ET. So not exactly sure how this can even be brought up.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  #431
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Mark Spector forgot to take his meds again today. He wrote another "City of Losers" article.
Spector thinks they should just leave everything alone in the name of stability. Unfortunately this team is stable only in the garbage that they possess. I like Spector, but he is way off base on this.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:42 PM
  #432
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
I didn't hear Spec but I agree with him. You don't change coaches in the middle of a season. Wait until the end of the season and your pool is much larger. The next coach already has a job anyway.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  #433
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Rottier is a scapegoat and is not the problem. He's having a poor year but improve the line and he'd be a better player for us.

The rot on this team starts at the top, with Hervey and the coaching staff. We can't adjust to what the other teams are doing. We're making many coaching errors, especially on defence and special teams. The schemes are brutal. We have no LBs coach, which is killing the play of our front seven. Poor coaching is also severely hampering our defensive backfield. The players aren't as bad as their record, but coaching is killing us. No way do Sherritt and Burnett turn to crap in one season.

I think Hervey is safe but we could see an entirely new coaching staff next year.
Rottiers useless. Good for Hervey for finally detecting this. I can't remember when the guy did play well.

Glad to see him get singled out. Time for him to get the punt.

Replacement is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #434
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I didn't hear Spec but I agree with him. You don't change coaches in the middle of a season. Wait until the end of the season and your pool is much larger. The next coach already has a job anyway.
I agree with waiting till the end of the season part. Just that from listening to Spector, it sounded more long term than that.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  #435
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
As long as 'wait till the end of the season' means firing Reed one day after the year and then getting at the head of the line for top coaching prospects. I heard the words I dread from the gm 'we will be evaluating everything at years end'. As far as the head coach goes the evaluation should all but be done and we should be looking at guys as soon as the year ends.

Winnipeg, Montreal and Ottawa will be looking for coaches most likely so we can't screw around for a month before going after a new coach.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:11 PM
  #436
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,881
vCash: 0
Maybe you don't fire Reed or hire a new coach, but why couldn't you bring in a former RC/OC/HC to help out with the knowledge that he could very well get the job at the end of the year?

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  #437
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
This "you don't change coaches in mid-season" thing doesn't make one lick of sense to me. Newsflash boys and girls, this season is toast. There are only two possible trains of thought here:

1) Reed is the right man for the job, and we think he can go 7-2 in the second half to have us possibly in the playoffs, in which case we won't fire him.

2) Reed is getting fired after we finish 2-16. In which case, there is nothing to lose by firing him right now.

So unless you think he's a good coach, and I don't think even one single person in here does, you cut bait and move on. Get Paul LaPolice in here for an audition. Hell, get somebody that can do basic arithmetic and knows the rules of CFL football to run the sideline for the rest of the year.

In the last calendar year we are 3-17. Find me one other coach that has survived a 20-game stretch of .150 football. Enough is enough already. Two other teams have made significant organizational changes already this year, and here we sit at 1-8 talking about "evaluating the situation" after the season. This is beyond a farce.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #438
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Do you think we will actually win another game this season Kyle?

I don't.

AJGass4 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
  #439
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Do you think we will actually win another game this season Kyle?

I don't.
We should beat winnipeg. but thats about it.

flashy is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  #440
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
I want the Eskimos to sign Matt Leinart

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:03 PM
  #441
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,213
vCash: 50
Calgary Edmonton-Loss
Winnipeg Edmonton-Win
Edmonton Winnipeg-Loss
Toronto Edmonton-Loss
Montreal Edmonton-Loss
Edmonton Saskatchewan-Loss
Calgary Edmonton-Loss
Edmonton BC-Loss
Edmonton Saskatchewan-Loss


2-16.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
  #442
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Do you think we will actually win another game this season Kyle?

I don't.
I'm thinking 3-15, maybe 4-14. We should beat Winnipeg at home, and also host the Als and potentially Ray-less Argos. We'll probably have a few more losses like we've been having, close games where Reed makes some idiotic decision to turn the tide. Eventually we will end up winning one of those. There's enough talent on the roster to overcome the stupidity from the coaching staff here and there. The refs will blow a call in our favour sooner or later as well.

This is probably what pisses me off the most. This is far from a terrible roster. This roster is better than Winnipeg, better than a Calvillo-less Montreal, probably better than Hamilton too. The O-line sucks as we all know, although they get absolutely no help by our bizarre and constant reluctance to run the football. The secondary isn't great, but they also get asked to play 8 yards off the receiver in pretty much every situation so they're going to give up chunks of yardage regardless. Beyond those two areas, we're not worse than average in terms of personnel anywhere else.

I think I said this about a month ago, but this is a 9-9 roster being coached to a 3-15 record. I can't think of any other situations where coaching decisions have had that large of a negative effect on a team's record. Even when Maciocia was coaching, and Maciocia was a bad coach. But DM the GM was worse than DM the coach, so those 7-11 records were pretty much indicative of the rosters he assembled.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:42 PM
  #443
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
This "you don't change coaches in mid-season" thing doesn't make one lick of sense to me. Newsflash boys and girls, this season is toast. There are only two possible trains of thought here:

So unless you think he's a good coach, and I don't think even one single person in here does, you cut bait and move on. Get Paul LaPolice in here for an audition. Hell, get somebody that can do basic arithmetic and knows the rules of CFL football to run the sideline for the rest of the year.
You're reacting with your emotion, not with your head.

Wait until the offseason and you might have more coaching options to select from.

hire Paul Lapolice now, and you're stuck with him. If you're not convinced he's the best choice in the summer, then the esks might as well wait.

It's not going to make a difference either way to this season's standings.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:55 PM
  #444
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
You're reacting with your emotion, not with your head.

Wait until the offseason and you might have more coaching options to select from.

hire Paul Lapolice now, and you're stuck with him. If you're not convinced he's the best choice in the summer, then the esks might as well wait.

It's not going to make a difference either way to this season's standings.
This. Totally, absolutely correct.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 06:03 PM
  #445
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
You're reacting with your emotion, not with your head.

Wait until the offseason and you might have more coaching options to select from.

hire Paul Lapolice now, and you're stuck with him. If you're not convinced he's the best choice in the summer, then the esks might as well wait.

It's not going to make a difference either way to this season's standings.
Disagree.

In what way would more options be available in the offseason? Who would be available then that isn't now?

I don't see either how we are "stuck" with any coach we hire now. In fact this is a perfect tryout period for a new head coach to see if he can bring some change in the remainder of the season. If not you bring somebody else in or see if theres any promise.

Kyle was right to point out this club is 3-17 over the last calendar year. This is perfect indication that this club is flatlined under Reed. With no pulse.

A game like yesterday is very misleading. While our opponent was playing and interested we were down 30pts. This club has no faith in itself under Reed, zero, and is playing like it. In Reillys own words to a man the Stamps played better for 3.5 quarters.

In this situation you pull the plug a month ago already. With each week of waiting being wasted time. You put in a new headcoach to inspire some kind of hope, change, new focus on a club that has entirely lost it and has been in freefall for an entire calendar year now.

How long should the team, the players, or the fans, in no particular order, have to wait?

Reed is a complete and utter bust of a headcoach. Get rid of him, sooner the better.

Replacement is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 06:38 PM
  #446
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
You're reacting with your emotion, not with your head.

Wait until the offseason and you might have more coaching options to select from.

hire Paul Lapolice now, and you're stuck with him. If you're not convinced he's the best choice in the summer, then the esks might as well wait.

It's not going to make a difference either way to this season's standings.
Montreal and probably Winnipeg will be looking for new coaches. Why wait for competition in hiring a new one?

You're not stuck with LaPolice at all. I said in my post, bring him in for an audition. If the team turns things around, great. If not, go find someone else. I'm not saying hand him a 5 year deal.

What is there to lose by firing Reed? It can't get worse. This isn't the NHL where there is an advantage to be had by finishing dead last. I would rather bring in an interim guy and maybe go 6-12 than stick with the status quo and end up 3-15.

Maybe there's no difference to some people, but as a season ticket holder who has to suffer through 5 more evenings at Commonwealth, I would at least appreciate the team give the appearance that they're attempting to win games. We're only half way through the season, as painful as that sounds. You can't just wave the white flag after 9 games, which is exactly what Hervey has done.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 06:43 PM
  #447
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Agreed Replacement.

This gong show started long before the kick off of this season. 3-17 is absolutely proof in numbers.

I'm not exactly sure what Hervey was doing today when he went all bat **** crazy, but it's a little late for me. Reed should have been given 5 games at the most. When the horror show continued game after game, it's pretty simple. Our coaching staff has no brains. Not Reed and most certainly not Sams. If I'm him, I put my resignation on the desk now.

It's amazing that this organization has such disrespect for the paying customer. Thank god I don't live in Edmonton because I know I would have season tickets and would be hammered after every game. I do enough yelling at the TV as it is.

At least with the Oilers there is promise. The young kids are fun to watch win or lose. This bunch on the Eskimos I almost feel sorry for. They have a coaching staff that sets them up for failure play after play and when you are 3rd and 3 and you have so little faith in your running game, you throw the damn ball away.

This one would have sat better with me had the blow out remained.

AJGass4 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 06:46 PM
  #448
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Montreal and probably Winnipeg will be looking for new coaches. Why wait for competition in hiring a new one?

You're not stuck with LaPolice at all. I said in my post, bring him in for an audition. If the team turns things around, great. If not, go find someone else. I'm not saying hand him a 5 year deal.

What is there to lose by firing Reed? It can't get worse. This isn't the NHL where there is an advantage to be had by finishing dead last. I would rather bring in an interim guy and maybe go 6-12 than stick with the status quo and end up 3-15.

Maybe there's no difference to some people, but as a season ticket holder who has to suffer through 5 more evenings at Commonwealth, I would at least appreciate the team give the appearance that they're attempting to win games. We're only half way through the season, as painful as that sounds. You can't just wave the white flag after 9 games, which is exactly what Hervey has done.
Tell it.

Exactly.

I'm on the fence right now. If no changes are made the likelihood is I'm not going to attend.

I'm a walkup fan at this point only and due to what the org has done through the years. Its beyond show me time. That was last year, or this year to the extremely patient. To suggest that its now next year is beyond the pale. This org has had ample time to get its **** in gear for once. They've been a wreck since 2005.

But as I stated before its not just the need of the fans to see a team with a chance of winning. Its incumbent to make a headcoaching change for the PLAYERS to have a hope of winning. They clearly approach games now not thinking that they have a chance. Thusly they fall behind in EVERY game played. A pro club axes a coach at this point to provide impetus for change. A move that has to be made when the club is flatlined.

Its a results based business. The result over the last calendar year has been a legendary disaster.

Replacement is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
  #449
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
How long should the team, the players, or the fans, in no particular order, have to wait?

Reed is a complete and utter bust of a headcoach. Get rid of him, sooner the better.
I mean really. Are you going to drive around on a flat tire for 6 months just because you plan on taking the car to the junkyard eventually? No. You change the ****ing tire. Lets not pretend this organization isn't swimming in money and couldn't afford to pay LaPolice whatever he's still owed by Winnipeg to come in here for a 9-game trial run. This is the NY Yankees of Canadian football, stop acting like the Florida Marlins.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  #450
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Agreed Replacement.

This gong show started long before the kick off of this season. 3-17 is absolutely proof in numbers.

I'm not exactly sure what Hervey was doing today when he went all bat **** crazy, but it's a little late for me. Reed should have been given 5 games at the most. When the horror show continued game after game, it's pretty simple. Our coaching staff has no brains. Not Reed and most certainly not Sams. If I'm him, I put my resignation on the desk now.

It's amazing that this organization has such disrespect for the paying customer. Thank god I don't live in Edmonton because I know I would have season tickets and would be hammered after every game. I do enough yelling at the TV as it is.

At least with the Oilers there is promise. The young kids are fun to watch win or lose. This bunch on the Eskimos I almost feel sorry for. They have a coaching staff that sets them up for failure play after play and when you are 3rd and 3 and you have so little faith in your running game, you throw the damn ball away.

This one would have sat better with me had the blow out remained.
Pretty much what everyone except Hervey and Rhodes were thinking. Even the people under some bizarre illusion that Reed's wretched game management last year was a result of Tillman living in Saskatchewan had him on a short leash.

So we get our doors blown off in the season opener and extend him right then and there. Absolutely one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.