HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
I'm one of the many that think Reed should have been fired a few games ago. what good does it do to have a lousy coach keep infecting the team for the rest of the year?
He should have been gone by game 5.

It's like Sams. We all know he's done as a coach, so why not let him go? instead they take away his job and leave him on the staff. that's more bush league than firing a coach in the middle of the season. it shows a lack of respect to a guy to take away his job but make him come to work everyday.

but when you have Rhodes in charge, there should be no surprise as to the state of the eskimos.

Old
09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
Listened to the whole press conference and I don't know what to think.

One thing that stuck out was Hervey's rationale behind Sams. Basically he said he'll no longer call the plays but he isn't fired. Why not? Why keep him around when not only do the fans think he is an idiot, apparently Hervey does as well. I don't care who they fire but I'd like to know why Hervey let this last game be the one that got to him. For F sakes, we've been watching stupid play calling from game one.

Not impressed with his tirade on Rottier. Yeah he sucks, but so does the whole damn line and for some reason he calls one guy out. He won't can him because of the ratio? Someone want to explain to me why we keep a guy that was told he won't play? Sorry, but there was better ways to do it than that.

Finally, I bet him and Reed had a freaking screaming match in the office. Reed comes out and says Rottier is a proud young man, blah, blah and blah? Obviously they have different opinions on this and it makes me think these two may be friends but they sure have different takes on certain players.

What a gong show, it's almost more embarrassing than the product this group of idiots have put on the football field. At this rate, anyone who is any good is going to be asked if they can walk at the end of the season.

Old
09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm one of the many that think Reed should have been fired a few games ago. what good does it do to have a lousy coach keep infecting the team for the rest of the year?
He should have been gone by game 5.

It's like Sams. We all know he's done as a coach, so why not let him go? instead they take away his job and leave him on the staff. that's more bush league than firing a coach in the middle of the season. it shows a lack of respect to a guy to take away his job but make him come to work everyday.

but when you have Rhodes in charge, there should be no surprise as to the state of the eskimos.
First, how many texts of yours did Gregor read? Or was it a different Gord

Second, I agree. I just wonder if Hervey doesn't have confidence in the players he selected because it would look real awful on him if he brought in a new coaching staff and they were just as bad. Otherwise there is no reason to start cleaning house.

Finally, did they ever announce who is calling the offense now?

Old
09-04-2013, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Listened to the whole press conference and I don't know what to think.

One thing that stuck out was Hervey's rationale behind Sams. Basically he said he'll no longer call the plays but he isn't fired. Why not? Why keep him around when not only do the fans think he is an idiot, apparently Hervey does as well. I don't care who they fire but I'd like to know why Hervey let this last game be the one that got to him. For F sakes, we've been watching stupid play calling from game one.

Not impressed with his tirade on Rottier. Yeah he sucks, but so does the whole damn line and for some reason he calls one guy out. He won't can him because of the ratio? Someone want to explain to me why we keep a guy that was told he won't play? Sorry, but there was better ways to do it than that.

Finally, I bet him and Reed had a freaking screaming match in the office. Reed comes out and says Rottier is a proud young man, blah, blah and blah? Obviously they have different opinions on this and it makes me think these two may be friends but they sure have different takes on certain players.

What a gong show, it's almost more embarrassing than the product this group of idiots have put on the football field. At this rate, anyone who is any good is going to be asked if they can walk at the end of the season.
After hearing everything I don't think it would be good to get rid of Rottier just yet. I suspect he gets another chance before being let go. This is a last ditch effort to get something out of a guy that has more, but is giving you nothing.

As for him being singled out. You aren't going to call out guys that are rookies or playing a position for the first time in a young career. O-Line was called out, so it's not like the rest got a glowing review.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
^ I think we are definitely seeing different things. Theres an ongoing notion in football that you should be able to run it in from a few yds out. If you're talking 70's, 80's, 90's teams would say things like if you can't run that sucker in with 2 or 3 tries you don't deserve the TD. Go big or go home being the motto. You're correct there.

But for around the last dozen or more years I've seen more of an acknowledgement that theres some monster defenders in the CFL that make a living stuffing things like this out. Starting with a guy like Montford the tables really did change where teams would opt to around, or pass, rather than trying to go through the pretty quick monsters.

What you say is conventional wisdom and I can certainly see how you would get the impression. But I think a lot of clubs are mixing it up more and more and looking for the easy score with a guy thats not covered in the endzone. Good teams seem to pick that out these days.

That said we're not a good team so what am I talking about.
Kind of looks like the Esk GM disagrees with you on this.

"Hervey said he was beyond being frustrated with the play calling of Sams and suggested putting in Kerry Joseph to run a quarterback sweep on a third and one-half yard situation on Labour Day was the final straw.

“I’ve been very disappointed in our play calling. We’ll see a different person calling our plays,” is how he phrased it, never mentioning Sams’s name.

“When we’re third and half a yard I don’t want to see anything other than a quarterback sneak. When we’re third and half a yard I don’t want to be seeing a quarterback sweep.""

Old
09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Valhallis

I also question the reasoning behind calling Rottier out. I'm in agreement with others that, yeah, he has been crap but there's maybe a handleful of guys of the team that haven't been. That O-line has been putrid, which we've been saying for years. In fact I'm going to single out Matt O'Donnell. I know he's not a vet but I personally think he's comically awful. I watched a play on Monday where he wasn't paying attention, the ball was snapped and the D-Line basically just touched him and he fell back on his ass. But I know he's not the only one on that line or on the team that is bad so I digress.

I'm not usually an angry person but this team makes me want to punch puppies.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
He is a professional football player, I agree with him btw, doubt we have a chance at getting him as a FA ever with Hervey as GM. Sure there are many more that aren't going to twitter.

Hervey said today he has been too busy scouting for NFL cuts to watch the team closely. Has he picked anyone up yet?
Who gives a rats behind what Jason Clermont says. Rottier has been garbage this year. Adam Karausik is already a better lineman, and young inexperienced Matt O'Donnell is at least improving as the season goes on. It's about time some of these clowns got called out.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Who gives a rats behind what Jason Clermont says. Rottier has been garbage this year. Adam Karausik is already a better lineman, and young inexperienced Matt O'Donnell is at least improving as the season goes on. It's about time some of these clowns got called out.
That and how do blame a guy that had one start going into the year and gets switched between guard and tackle and to the other side?

Old
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Stoneman89

Doug Sams should go room with Marcus Crandall so they can devise plays on how to screw up 2nd and long situations. Honestly, if the guy isn't allowed to call plays anymore, why is he even on the payroll? To devise stupid game plans? Just bizarre.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Beerfish

Re Sams: I honestly think it is not all on him for some of these things. The head coach is the one that has a love affair with joseph and it would not surprise me at all if he prodded the offense to have a joseph package and use it.

He also declared a few weeks ago that no matter what they were going to have a certain number of running plays a game, no matter what.

Blame Sams or Marshall or whoever but the guys who deep sixed all of our coaches last year and hired these guys are Reed and Hervey.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 2m
#Eskimos sign imp. WR Jamal Miles. Played 4 seasons at Arizona St. and recorded the most KR yards in school history. #CFL #yeg

Old
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Halibut

I have a problem with some of the media I've heard saying this should have been taken care of behind doors first rather than out in the open. Do they think this hasnt been talked about behind closed doors for months? Do you think they didnt say anything after the "there has to be consequences" speech?

I'm pretty sure this isnt out of the blue and maybe naming Rottier specifically wasnt such a good idea, he didnt name Sams either for the play calling but it's pretty clear who he was talking about and if Rottier isnt in the game Friday or the rest of the way this season I think it would be pretty clear who the guilty party was.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
First, how many texts of yours did Gregor read? Or was it a different Gord

Second, I agree. I just wonder if Hervey doesn't have confidence in the players he selected because it would look real awful on him if he brought in a new coaching staff and they were just as bad. Otherwise there is no reason to start cleaning house.

Finally, did they ever announce who is calling the offense now?
Sams should have seen it coming. you know your head coach and the team have no confidence in you when they say a rookie QB is going to be calling some of his own plays. how bad does a team have to be and how bad does a coach have to be when that happens?

speaking of Gregor, here's a couple of old tweets of his:

CFL_News
Kavis Reed:"(Sams) works with a lot of the spread offences. He's a master strategist." via @jasongregor #CFL #Esks

CFL_News
Kavis Reed:"Doug Sams (new OC) process to QB development was so scientific it left me breathless." via @jasongregor #CFL #Esks

great hire, Kavis. I'm scared to look up and see what he said about Sweet and Marshall.

breathless.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I have a problem with some of the media I've heard saying this should have been taken care of behind doors first rather than out in the open. Do they think this hasnt been talked about behind closed doors for months? Do you think they didnt say anything after the "there has to be consequences" speech?

I'm pretty sure this isnt out of the blue and maybe naming Rottier specifically wasnt such a good idea, he didnt name Sams either for the play calling but it's pretty clear who he was talking about and if Rottier isnt in the game Friday or the rest of the way this season I think it would be pretty clear who the guilty party was.
Not sure what Reed's plan for the personnel on the O-line for Friday and the rest of the season are, but with Hervey's comments, he has definitely been boxed in now. If he plays Rottier at any time the rest of this season, it will appear he is snubbing his GM. He really has no choice now, no matter what he says in public about Rottier.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Sams should have seen it coming. you know your head coach and the team have no confidence in you when they say a rookie QB is going to be calling some of his own plays. how bad does a team have to be and how bad does a coach have to be when that happens?

speaking of Gregor, here's a couple of old tweets of his:

CFL_News
Kavis Reed:"(Sams) works with a lot of the spread offences. He's a master strategist." via @jasongregor #CFL #Esks

CFL_News
Kavis Reed:"Doug Sams (new OC) process to QB development was so scientific it left me breathless." via @jasongregor #CFL #Esks

great hire, Kavis. I'm scared to look up and see what he said about Sweet and Marshall.

breathless.
Breathless is what happens to Reed when he makes an in game decision, then realizes it's the wrong one, and races on to the field to try to get guys off it and get the attention of the refs for time outs.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:18 PM
joestevens29

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 47s
Adarius Bowman practicing with first unit...Looks like he'll play his first game of the season on Friday. #Esks

Old
09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 34s
Looks like Miles Mason moves to RG, O'Donnell to LG, Cliff Louis to RT. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

Old
09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 34s
Looks like Miles Mason moves to RG, O'Donnell to LG, Cliff Louis to RT. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg
So we are now using 3 imports on the oline? Sheesh.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I don't really care at this point, they have to do something different because what they were doing wasn't working.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
joestevens29

Didier Orméjuste ‏@DidierRDS 2m
It has been confirmed QB Anthony Calvillo (concussion) has been placed on the 9-game injury list. #Alouettes #CFL
Retweeted by David William Naylor

Old
09-04-2013, 04:40 PM
joestevens29

The QB carousel continues to spin in Calgary. But with the success all three signal callers have had, it's not all that concerning and in fact, some Stamps fans may be excited about the latest turn of events.

Bo Levi Mitchell is expected to get another start when Calgary visits the Edmonton Eskimos to finish up their home and home series on Friday.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=431174

Old
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Kind of looks like the Esk GM disagrees with you on this.

"Hervey said he was beyond being frustrated with the play calling of Sams and suggested putting in Kerry Joseph to run a quarterback sweep on a third and one-half yard situation on Labour Day was the final straw.

“I’ve been very disappointed in our play calling. We’ll see a different person calling our plays,” is how he phrased it, never mentioning Sams’s name.

“When we’re third and half a yard I don’t want to see anything other than a quarterback sneak. When we’re third and half a yard I don’t want to be seeing a quarterback sweep.""
Who's this "other person" going to be? Kavis? I expect we see the exact same garbage we've seen all season on Friday.

Old
09-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Matt Leinart? Anybody?
Can he play offensive line? Or defensive halfback? I don't think bringing in a new QB solves anything, Reilly hasn't been the problem.

Old
09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Who's this "other person" going to be? Kavis? I expect we see the exact same garbage we've seen all season on Friday.
I guess if we see the same old crap with Joseph on Friday if the opportunity presents itself, Hervey should have confirmation that Reed is the main problem on this team. If that's the case, maybe in future Ed can phone in his own plays from the upstairs booth.

Old
09-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I believe Hervey said yesterday, that he doesn't care if it takes 4 imports on the offensive line, he's prepared to do it to save Reilly's life. If we have 4 imports, we should have the best offensive line in the league, in theory. I suspect we'd be pretty lousy in other areas though. At any rate, until they draft/sign decent FA's to help out, they may have to go this way, or Reed will get his wish and have his buddy Kerry Joseph start all the rest of the games after Reilly is placed in a wheelchair.

Closed Thread