HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Bad news for this game then because Bo Levi Mitchell is the best of the Qb's the Stamps have if you ask me.

Old
09-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Kind of looks like the Esk GM disagrees with you on this.

"Hervey said he was beyond being frustrated with the play calling of Sams and suggested putting in Kerry Joseph to run a quarterback sweep on a third and one-half yard situation on Labour Day was the final straw.

“I’ve been very disappointed in our play calling. We’ll see a different person calling our plays,” is how he phrased it, never mentioning Sams’s name.

“When we’re third and half a yard I don’t want to see anything other than a quarterback sneak. When we’re third and half a yard I don’t want to be seeing a quarterback sweep.""
But tbh this is conflicting. Hervey on one hand saying that Rottier sucks, Oline sucks, but he wants the team to use that oline that sucks(the heavy hoggys are essentially already out there) to depend on them to make a push to get a yard off a QB sneak.

Hervey was basically venting and ranting yesterday and not making total sense.

The thing is when the line has held, Reilly and the offense, and even the play calling have been pretty good.

In anycase for Hervey to blame Sams on some of the short yards play calls and Joseph insertions is just silly. We pretty much know thats Reed finding his friend some reps so he can feel like he's doing something.,

Old
09-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I believe Hervey said yesterday, that he doesn't care if it takes 4 imports on the offensive line, he's prepared to do it to save Reilly's life. If we have 4 imports, we should have the best offensive line in the league, in theory. I suspect we'd be pretty lousy in other areas though. At any rate, until they draft/sign decent FA's to help out, they may have to go this way, or Reed will get his wish and have his buddy Kerry Joseph start all the rest of the games after Reilly is placed in a wheelchair.
The imports Hervey has already brought in for the O-line have been failures for the most part, I have no faith that he's going to airlift any good ones in.

I don't think 4 import O-lineman can possibly work, we don't have enough Canadian talent in other areas. Is Matt Carter going to take Fred Stamps' spot to balance the ratio?

Old
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
BleedingOil

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Bad news for this game then because Bo Levi Mitchell is the best of the Qb's the Stamps have if you ask me.
Best potential maybe

Old
09-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Sams should have seen it coming. you know your head coach and the team have no confidence in you when they say a rookie QB is going to be calling some of his own plays. how bad does a team have to be and how bad does a coach have to be when that happens?

speaking of Gregor, here's a couple of old tweets of his:

CFL_News
Kavis Reed:"(Sams) works with a lot of the spread offences. He's a master strategist." via @jasongregor #CFL #Esks

CFL_News
Kavis Reed:"Doug Sams (new OC) process to QB development was so scientific it left me breathless." via @jasongregor #CFL #Esks

great hire, Kavis. I'm scared to look up and see what he said about Sweet and Marshall.

breathless.
He did hire Stubler we mustn't forget. So what if they disagree, he did pick a good one so it is hit and miss at times.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
He did hire Stubler we mustn't forget. So what if they disagree, he did pick a good one so it is hit and miss at times.
and where is stubler now, and why did he leave?
I'm guessing he wanted to be part of a professional and well managed team, and ran like heck from the esks as soon as he could.

are you trying to say getting a successful assistant is just luck of the draw?
win some lose some? pick a guy and hope for the best?

you're helping make my point about the esks disfunctional organization.
if that's how the esks do things, than Rhodes, Hervey and Reed better be shown the door.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
and where is stubler now, and why did he leave?
I'm guessing he wanted to be part of a professional and well managed team, and ran like heck from the esks as soon as he could.

are you trying to say getting a successful assistant is just luck of the draw?
win some lose some? pick a guy and hope for the best?

you're helping make my point about the esks disfunctional organization.
if that's how the esks do things, than Rhodes, Hervey and Reed better be shown the door.
Stubler was happier to be in BC and near his home. yes picking the right assistant coach is a matter of getting the right guy at the right time. No one complained too much when the Esks were having initial success in Reeds first year. The fact fans were proclaiming how well he had recruited his assistants.

Never said this was a good organization in any event.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Stubler was happier to be in BC and near his home. yes picking the right assistant coach is a matter of getting the right guy at the right time. No one complained too much when the Esks were having initial success in Reeds first year. The fact fans were proclaiming how well he had recruited his assistants.

maybe someone can let us know what is considered to be the actual reason, as I remember reading that he and Reed ended up with "philosophical coaching differences", and he rejected the esks contract offer.

I guess we'll have to disagree in regards to a teams hiring plan for assistants. As I do think there should be more to it than picking someone and hoping he's the right guy at the right time.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
maybe someone can let us know what is considered to be the actual reason, as I remember reading that he and Reed ended up with "philosophical coaching differences", and he rejected the esks contract offer.

I guess we'll have to disagree in regards to a teams hiring plan for assistants. As I do think there should be more to it than picking someone and hoping he's the right guy at the right time.
Hopefully when Reed is gone next year we pick a HC with actual HC experience. No more rookies like Hall and Reed. Or at least proven good assistants like Dickensen.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:48 AM
AJGass4

Let me get this straight. Both Reed and Sams are saying nothings changed after that tirade by Hervey?

I would suggest neither should have a job after tomorrow's game. I really don't see how they can defy the GM like that with no consequences.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Let me get this straight. Both Reed and Sams are saying nothings changed after that tirade by Hervey?

I would suggest neither should have a job after tomorrow's game. I really don't see how they can defy the GM like that with no consequences.
I read that this morning in the paper, too.
got a love it. GM throws a fit, says Sams won't be calling plays any longer and Rottier is NOT going to play Friday (if ever again)

So Reed and Sams are still preparing as if Sams is going to call plays, and Reed is also playing games with the media about it.
Reed also might play rottier despite what his GM said.

This is the "new" esks. joke of the CFL. there are never any consequences. only talk that there will be.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:23 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post

What really are the consequences? They both get fired with pay?

Old
09-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Best potential maybe
Best right now.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Gord
Tesla

time to say something nice about the esks.

I think last game was the best the defense played this year.

They had an excellent first half of the game despite where Calgary kept getting the ball,
only giving up 126 yards offense, and they made some good plays. (and the first PI penalty was a very bad call)

I agree with Hervey that they should be more aggressive, especially in the secondary.
but I really hope that they can build off it.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

The bolded part is incorrect. He was making the same bone headed in game moves from year one to now. some saw it much earlier than others.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Best right now.
He was worse then Glenn, holds onto the ball way too long.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
time to say something nice about the esks.

I think last game was the best the defense played this year.

They had an excellent first half of the game despite where Calgary kept getting the ball,
only giving up 126 yards offense, and they made some good plays. (and the first PI penalty was a very bad call)

I agree with Hervey that they should be more aggressive, especially in the secondary.
but I really hope that they can build off it.
Marshall was suppose to be on Gregor's show and I missed it, or maybe it's today. Either way the one thing Gregor wanted to ask is why they aren't showing more movement on the line like other teams.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
The bolded part is incorrect. He was making the same bone headed in game moves from year one to now. some saw it much earlier than others.
that is true. There were more than a few who saw the esks for what they were. it helped that the esks caught every single break and lucky bounce that season.

I wasn't one of the ones that knew the esks were far worse than their record, but I remember people trying to caution fans that the season was an aberration.

oh well. at least going to the game Friday I won't have to be on the LRT with Rider fans.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Best right now.
Definitely wasnt the best on Monday, but since Glenn got his foot tromped on best right now might be right given the other two are out with injuries.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
This is very true. Reed was given the benefit of the doubt his first year as he was a rookie. RR and team managed to overcome them to secure a playoff spot. Last year, he was given the benefit of the doubt due to Tillman's absence and incompetence. This year? Same old, same old. I'm thinking if it walks like a dog, barks like a dog........you know the rest.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I don't agree with this. Glenn has proven to be a very capable veteran who chalked up a couple TD's before suffering a freak injury. I thought Mitchell floated the ball a few times, and he was dammed lucky our D didn't move quicker or hang on to some of those. Can't speak for the offensive line or game plan, or all the other crap that's happened, but I will say, if Mitchell puts that ball out there like that, there will be some picks. The guy is still a rook, and at some point, he is going to be exposed as such, bad as our D has been.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He was worse then Glenn, holds onto the ball way too long.
We will agree to disagree on that.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
I don't agree with this. Glenn has proven to be a very capable veteran who chalked up a couple TD's before suffering a freak injury. I thought Mitchell floated the ball a few times, and he was dammed lucky our D didn't move quicker or hang on to some of those. Can't speak for the offensive line or game plan, or all the other crap that's happened, but I will say, if Mitchell puts that ball out there like that, there will be some picks. The guy is still a rook, and at some point, he is going to be exposed as such, bad as our D has been.
I think what hurt Mitchell is that he didnt get any first string reps at all in practice. Although it is a short week that will be different prior to Fridays game.

If I am Ottawa and Calgary doesn't protect Mitchell he would be my first pick overall.

I think he has the potential to be a star in this League.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:57 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Best right now.
you mustve missed mondays game

Old
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
joestevens29

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 56s
The #Esks starting O-line will be from LT to RT: Coleman, O'Donnell, Krausnick,Mason, Louis. Pretty sure 1st time in Esks' history 3 imports

Closed Thread