HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
It will be close, but with a nice evening... the walk up will beat that regardless of the quality on the field. Embarassing to say the least, but these are the cards we have been dealt. No wins at home by September, no fans in the stands. Pretty simple math.
more than just this year. I know a lot of people that are sick of the past 7 years of paying for mostly crap football and went form season ticket holders to walk up games and now don't even bother.
this year is just the straw that broke their backs, so to speak.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
more than just this year. I know a lot of people that are sick of the past 7 years of paying for mostly crap football and went form season ticket holders to walk up games and now don't even bother.
this year is just the straw that broke their backs, so to speak.
I'm finding it harder to even post on the subject now. As you know my hope and enthusiasm in this club was entirely shot before the lead up to this season. To say this years events have dampened my spirit in the club is understatement.

Funny thing is I would attend virtually anything at Commonwealth Stadium and love the facility. But the thought of paying to watch this club causes bile to rise up in my throat.

Which leads to a little frustration that not one other high profile event has taken place at Commonwealth all summer. Not one concert, Not one LA Galaxy type exhibition game, not one National side soccer game, nothing, nada. The best stadium in the country and it just sits empty virtually all the time..
I'm basically looking for any way other than the eskimos to go there and see the new seats up close.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
This organization must think that we are all idiots and will continue to buy tickets and show up regardless of what they do or say.

Unbelievable.
Judging by the comments here they may not be all that wrong.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:11 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 36s
In 24 years of Labour Day double dips, Calgary has never outdrawn Edmonton. Stamps drew 32,217. Esks at 31,007 this afternoon.
I posted last week that the Eskimos wouldn't draw 35,000 for tomorrow's game which shows how far they've fallen from the days when they'd always get over 50,000 for the Labor Day rematch. Maybe Rhodes will take money out of the football ops budget to purchase enough tickets so they can still outdraw Calgary's crowd. That'll prove to everybody that everything's AOK.

Old
09-06-2013, 05:53 AM
AJGass4

If these players have one ounce of pride, this will be a different game tonight.

I don't care how they do it but they damn well better give Bo a taste of what Reilly received last week. If we are going down, go down with a little nastiness.

What's the worst that happens? We take a few penalties and lose? That'd be a shocker. But for once, I'd like to see this team leave every ounce of skin on their body on the field.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 36s
In 24 years of Labour Day double dips, Calgary has never outdrawn Edmonton. Stamps drew 32,217. Esks at 31,007 this afternoon.
Do they not do the back to school thing anymore?

Old
09-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
no. they stopped that about 3 years ago, I believe.

anyway, I didn't find a link yet, but I read a column by Gerry Moddejonge in the Sun today which states that Hervey should look in the mirror as he also is an architect of the eskimo problems.
Hopefully someone can post a link. it's a decent read.

basically says hervey gutted some needed talent to make it his team.
mentions a couple of questionable deals he made and reminds us that hervey was the head scout since 2009. so a lot of the problems with talent are at his feet.

There is blame to go around for everyone.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:05 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

anyway, I didn't find a link yet, but I read a column by Gerry Moddejonge in the Sun today which states that Hervey should look in the mirror as he also is an architect of the eskimo problems.

mentions a couple of questionable deals he made and reminds us that hervey was the head scout since 2009. so a lot of the problems with talent are at his feet.

Again why they calling him out now? What is with this city and waiting way too long?

I know you can't just start ripping on a guy before you see what he has, as it's a good way to screw your career up, but come on what is with waiting until things are more than obvious to make your point.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Stoneman89

IF...and that's a big if, the attendance starts to drop significantly, then, and only then will you see significant change. And it will happen at the very top, the BOD's and then downward. But attendance, or lack thereof, will be the only thing to change the ship, not ""Eskimo pride", or the "Eskimo way" or whatever cliche's are trotted out to try to make us feel better. And maybe the attendance for Friday might be the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Once we're 1-10 and getting blown out, it will be interesting to see what kind of crowds they get when the Oilers get going and the temperatures start dropping.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
IF...and that's a big if, the attendance starts to drop significantly, then, and only then will you see significant change. And it will happen at the very top, the BOD's and then downward. But attendance, or lack thereof, will be the only thing to change the ship, not ""Eskimo pride", or the "Eskimo way" or whatever cliche's are trotted out to try to make us feel better. And maybe the attendance for Friday might be the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Once we're 1-10 and getting blown out, it will be interesting to see what kind of crowds they get when the Oilers get going and the temperatures start dropping.
Agreed although I am not quite as optimistic as you are regarding changes at the top. Rhodes is a large part of this problem and I have trouble believing any turnaround happens with him guiding the ship...regardless of who else gets sent packing.
Having said that the members who hired Rhodes should be accountable as well.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

If attendance here slips under 30K I wouldn't be surprised if the Esks adopt a plan similar to what the Oilers had for years with the Molsons game day seats promotion where many of them were sold half price and whatever were not sold were deemed sold as part of that arrangement with Molsons afaik eating some of that cost. This served the Oilers being able to post a "consecutive sell out" fallacy for years which I exposed on this board several times as hundreds of tickets for games were available minutes before drop of puck in games which of course were deemed "sold out".

Most people didn't know about the Molsons ticket arrangement. That fostered the "sellouts".

Some creative sponsorship and handshakes would allow the Eskimos to foist a similar lie to the community to disguise what years of losing does to the ticket buying fanbase. I could see them wanting to stay the line of bleeding north of 30K.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think they still have it but not for the Labor day rematch. They were already getting 50k + to the game so the only thing it did was push the numbers up into 60k and made it a sell out.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Six in O6

Quote:

This is correct. About ten years ago, the back to school game was a given for the rematch. Now they put it on a lower attendance game, usually vs an Eastern team. And I think they have a separate night for University students. It seems they're spreading out the "wealth" so to speak towards games with a less appealing draw than the Stamps.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/09/0...-in-the-mirror

The knives are out at the Sun. Good reading here.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/football/eskimos

Old
09-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Rottier is reminding me a whole lot of Gilbert Brule tbh.

All the quotes coming out from the team, from the player, indicate a guy thats having some considerable problems believing in himself, in his ability, and in applying that. This is a guy with all the tools that isn't putting it together and hasn't either last season or this. At what point can we expect him to play to expectation?

The team has been patient with this guy, thats the whole point. At some time you want to stop listening to all the excuses, to the silly quotes and just have the guy damn well play football and be a leader and experienced vet on a young line.

This guy would drive me nuts as well.

Could do without the quote of him saying the players have stuck behind him and didn't throw me under the bus. Really Rottier? You actually state that?

After what Hervey stated and Rottier now offhand referencing that I would be pulling his sorry ass into the office pronto for a long chat.

I like this one too; from Rottier:

Quote:
“From the O-line perspective, I feel like this is a chance for me to step up and be a leader and I’d rather it be me than someone else because I know more is expected of me,” Rottier said. “It hasn’t always been easy this year necessarily believing in myself coming off of the way things went last year.

“But I know I can do it and when they call on me, I’ll be there.”
[/QUOTE]

So why haven't you been there Rottier? Need a special invite. Ongoing special attention?

Rottier is not steering clear of blaming himself(with ample reason) which is fine. But words being only words.

Another meathead.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old
09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
MoneyGuy

I canít attend tonight but am recording the game to (possibly) watch later. I have a friend who will text me after with a recommendation to either watch the game or delete it, based on the result.

Iíve now written off this season. Sure, we have a mathematical chance, but Iíve given up. I grew up in the nasty Ď60s when our team was horrible, but this season is worse for me than those years.

I feel like Iíve wasted my money on seasonís tickets this year. If management doesnít fix this, theyíll see a significant drop in attendance next year, and this yearís attendance is way down anyway.

Iím glum. I may not renew next year, although I hate to end my string as a seasonís ticket holder. Heck, I canít even give tickets away for some games. I'm a die-hard and if they lose people like me, they have huge problems. I know the president and a board member and I think I'll compose an email to both outlining my frustrations. It may make me feel better, if nothing else.

One of the most frustrating things for me is I believe the on-field talent is good, but we've been let down in a huge way by coaching. Then the GM trashes a good, decent man like Sim Rottier when there are so many other things wrong with this team (COACHING!!!).

/rant

Old
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I canít attend tonight but am recording the game to (possibly) watch later. I have a friend who will text me after with a recommendation to either watch the game or delete it, based on the result.

Iíve now written off this season. Sure, we have a mathematical chance, but Iíve given up. I grew up in the nasty Ď60s when our team was horrible, but this season is worse for me than those years.

I feel like Iíve wasted my money on seasonís tickets this year. If management doesnít fix this, theyíll see a significant drop in attendance next year, and this yearís attendance is way down anyway.

Iím glum. I may not renew next year, although I hate to end my string as a seasonís ticket holder. Heck, I canít even give tickets away for some games. I'm a die-hard and if they lose people like me, they have huge problems. I know the president and a board member and I think I'll compose an email to both outlining my frustrations. It may make me feel better, if nothing else.

One of the most frustrating things for me is I believe the on-field talent is good, but we've been let down in a huge way by coaching. Then the GM trashes a good, decent man like Sim Rottier when there are so many other things wrong with this team (COACHING!!!).

/rant
Not good if you are giving up

Old
09-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I think they still have it but not for the Labor day rematch. They were already getting 50k + to the game so the only thing it did was push the numbers up into 60k and made it a sell out.
Yeah I think they make it some game at the end of September now, which ensures less people will take advantage of it. More greed from the organization, which has become par for the course over the last few years.

For years they drew around 45,000 for the Rematch, it spiked to 60,000 for two years when the team was enjoying their best stretch out of the last two decades, so quick, we better change it, that back to school thing might have cost us 1000 tickets sold to beer-buying adults and we let a bunch of kids in for free instead! The humanity!

Used to get a lot of Stampeder fans come up for the game as well, that hasn't happened in a long time either. They can't even sell out their own Labour Day game, which is beyond pathetic considering their place in the standings. The popularity of CFL football, or at least attending games in person, seems to have declined noticeably in this province over the last decade.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Judging by the comments here they may not be all that wrong.
For the sake of all those diehards at the game tonight here's hoping that this sad sack franchise can win their first home game since 2012.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:16 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Ahahahahahahahaha!

Oh this team!

Old
09-06-2013, 08:16 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 860
Lol...

Old
09-06-2013, 08:24 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Reilly is a warrior

Old
09-06-2013, 08:55 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Can anybody on this team kick field goals?

Old
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'm thinking of trying out for the Esks next season as a kicker. That was brutal.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
Reilly is a warrior
This team doesn't deserve Mike Reilly.

Closed Thread