HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The contending teams of the near future are....?

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
The contending teams of the near future are....?

I just did a quick scan of the team salaries from last season with the free agent list and came up with this:

Most teams have question marks. Depends on when players are going to be eligible for UFA status (the age could be lowered) as well as the actual structure of the cap. That would change a lot of things.

Calgary: Iginla and Kipper have to be resigned, but dropping Turek from the payroll will help a lot. They're gonna be tough, and they might be able to pick up another scorer, which would be huge for them. The year off will do them good after working their butts off through all those playoff rounds.

Ottawa will lose Hasek and Bondra most likely and have to resign Hossa and Havlat, but they are still loaded and should be able to bring it all in under $38 mil. Scary. They still need a goalie, unless Hasek comes back ... again. Same old story.

Minnesota Wild are cheap and have a couple budding stars, a great defensive system and Roloson in nets. They also might have some money to sign a Modano or something. Imagine Modano and Gaborik together....yikes.

Montreal has had a very strong farm system and several players should be ready this year. They'll have three scoring lines essentially with Bonk anchoring a checking line with two skill guys. They also have Theodore coming into his prime. If they resign Kovalev and sign a solid UFA defenseman, they'll be in position for a Cup run in a weak Eastern Division.

Jersey has to chop $10 mil from last year's budget and also resign Stevens, Neidermayer, Rafalski, Elias, Friesen, Gomez, Langenbrunner, etc. Good luck.

Rangers have Jagr, Tjutin, Nylander and kids and will probably buy out Holik. They'll have money for free agents, but what else is new.

Boston has some money for free agents, but essentially have to build an entire team from scratch around Thornton, Samsonov and Raycroft (which could be a good thing).

The Sharkies will be tough. They have to resign all their young stars, but they are Group II and Jamison is cheap, so they'll be ok.

Tampa is in trouble. They have St-Louis, Lecavalier and Khabibulin as free agents....and they were already on the bubble at $34 mil.

Vancouver will have to cut down a bit, but they'll be roughly the same. Still with goalie problems tho.

Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nashville, Edmonton and the Rangers all have solid farm systems.

The Rangers and Caps also have extra dough, if there is a luxury tax.

That looks like the near future. And there undoubtedly will be holdouts.

Detroit will be decent too, but they are going to have to cut down on their role players in a big way and go with Legace in nets. They'll probably contend tho.

The rest of the big money teams are in deep doo-doo.

And then there's Crosby, the X-Factor.

Old
06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
otto1219

i think it will be a lot a like 04, i just think certain teams are gonna drop lower in the standings, new jersey is a perfect example of this, they cant keep all their talent and elias and stevens are still question marks whether they will be 100%, and that is if they sign them. tampa will definitely be up there along with detroit, and i think ottawa will be much better. didnt hasek only sign a 1,000,000 deal? so that shouldnt be a big problem if they can renegotiate. i also see minnesota and san jose having a good years. im still keeping my fingers crossed about the rangers....

Old
06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
i think it will be a lot a like 04, i just think certain teams are gonna drop lower in the standings, new jersey is a perfect example of this, they cant keep all their talent and elias and stevens are still question marks whether they will be 100%, and that is if they sign them. tampa will definitely be up there along with detroit, and i think ottawa will be much better. didnt hasek only sign a 1,000,000 deal? so that shouldnt be a big problem if they can renegotiate. i also see minnesota and san jose having a good years. im still keeping my fingers crossed about the rangers....
Tampa's gonna have a lot of trouble getting under the cap. They probably won't be able to sign Khabibulin. St-Louis and Lecavalier are due for big pay hikes. And Khabi ain't cheap. They probably have to go with Grahame in nets.

Old
06-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Smelco

Atlanta should be interesting with a line of Kovalchuck-Savard-Heatley

Old
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves

The rest of the big money teams are in deep doo-doo.
The Flyers are very well positioned.

Old
06-28-2005, 05:07 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The Flyers are very well positioned.
How so?

Old
06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
How so?
Good young cheap talent, combined with the ability to buyout the bloated contracts (LeClair, Amonte, perhaps Roenick and Brashear) will leave this team in very good shape.

Old
06-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Balej20*

I like Nashvilles core with Nash, Zherdev, a top pick in the next draft, Klesla and Denis in net.

I also like Atlanta a whole lot, they will be a serious force...Heatley, Kovalchuk, Kloucek, Savard, Stefan, and Lehtonen in net (Pasi Nurminen is no slouch himself)

Old
06-28-2005, 05:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I like Nashvilles core with Nash, Zherdev, a top pick in the next draft, Klesla and Denis in net.
I like Columbus' better!

Old
06-28-2005, 06:21 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

I also like Atlanta a whole lot, they will be a serious force...Heatley, Kovalchuk, Kloucek, Savard, Stefan, and Lehtonen in net (Pasi Nurminen is no slouch himself)
And Cobourn.

Old
06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Tampa's gonna have a lot of trouble getting under the cap. They probably won't be able to sign Khabibulin. St-Louis and Lecavalier are due for big pay hikes. And Khabi ain't cheap. They probably have to go with Grahame in nets.
Scratch that. I'm an idiot. I forgot to factor in the 24% cut. Duh.

Old
06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:

Nashville?? Trade or something? okay i'm so out..

Old
06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Colorado Avalanche

I think best teams will be Ottawa,Atlanta,Philadelphia(if they buyout those leclair etc..), Columbus(if they sign some ufas),nashville..

Old
06-28-2005, 06:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Good young cheap talent, combined with the ability to buyout the bloated contracts (LeClair, Amonte, perhaps Roenick and Brashear) will leave this team in very good shape.
In a year or two maybe, but you can't expect Carter, Richards and Pitkaanen to step it up immediately. Not to mention Nittymaki.....

Old
06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
In a year or two maybe, but you can't expect Carter, Richards and Pitkaanen to step it up immediately. Not to mention Nittymaki.....
Esche brought us withint ine goal of the Finals, no pressure on Niittymaki.

Pitkanen will absolutely be counted on heavily, as he should. Richards will likely start out as the 4th line center. Carter will be counted on to produce and will be a top 2 center for the Flyers next year. He was the best skater in the the AHL playoffs, and would have been an NHLer last year if there was a season.

Old
06-28-2005, 08:18 PM
DARKSIDE

Like San Jose to win the next cup. Goaltending and defense being their strong point. As a longshot, Nashville.

Old
06-28-2005, 08:45 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Calgary: Iginla and Kipper have to be resigned, but dropping Turek from the payroll will help a lot. They're gonna be tough, and they might be able to pick up another scorer, which would be huge for them. The year off will do them good after working their butts off through all those playoff rounds.
Turek isn't making a whole lot. He is making between 1-1.5 million. Last season, he was due around 4.5-5 million but Turek redid his final year on the contract to be done over 3 years. So he is scheduled to make something like 1.5 for the next 3 years or something, not the big bucks he was before. It was a very classy move by Turek last offseason.

Old
06-28-2005, 09:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Turek isn't making a whole lot. He is making between 1-1.5 million. Last season, he was due around 4.5-5 million but Turek redid his final year on the contract to be done over 3 years. So he is scheduled to make something like 1.5 for the next 3 years or something, not the big bucks he was before. It was a very classy move by Turek last offseason.
I thought he was a UFA?

Old
06-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
I thought he was a UFA?
he restructured his contract

Old
06-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Minnesota Wild are cheap and have a couple budding stars, a great defensive system and Roloson in nets. They also might have some money to sign a Modano or something. Imagine Modano and Gaborik together....yikes.
I NEVER ONCE THOUGHT OF MODANO SIGNING WITH MINNESOTA

OMG, that would be nuts! i love this idea! we all know Mo needs some cash, Minny has money to spend and is in need of a strong presence like him....and add Gaborik to his side and christ......BRING BACK MODANO!!11

Old
06-28-2005, 11:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Flyers are not well positioned. They will be at $23.4MM even if they buy out LeClair and Amonte and that's before signing/qualifying Esch, Johnsson, Gagne, Seidenberg, Sharp and any rookies. Not sure how they can pull off Neidemeyer. One assumption lots of people are making is that teams will all spend at the ceiling. That may be true for the Flyers, Red Wings, Avs and Rangers but there will be more teams at the floor than at the maximum.

Old
06-29-2005, 12:27 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
You combined CBJ and NSH into one team by the way...

Old
06-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Trottier
Very Random

I personally love these HF threads whereby the "haves" of the world are assuredly going down the drain ("...in big trouble!" ), while the "have nots" are just as assuredly headed toward success.

Contending teams of the near future? Well, the near future means the next three to five seasons, no?

For that time period, I'll put my money on the Avs, Devils, Flyers, Sens, Lightning and Wings (read: current, proven winners). You can take Florida, Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix, etc. (Read: teams with younnnnng talent, cap room and, up to this point, no indication whatsoever that they possess the management acumen required to build a serious contender.)

Wanna guess which group will render more Cups, 2005-2010? Surely, there will be a changing of the guard, it's only natural. But it won't be nearly as swift and dramatic as suggested by some.

Under the next CBA, the best teams of the last decade will likely be losing a degree of payroll maneuverability. Far as I can tell, however, the next CBA will not stipulate that the best teams will be forced to lose their single strongest advantage over all others - the best management.

Translation: post CBA, Lou Lamariello will still be Lou Lamariello....and David Poile will still be David Poile. And so on.

Old
06-29-2005, 05:16 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelco
Atlanta should be interesting with a line of Kovalchuck-Savard-Heatley
Agree. They could be very interesting.

Old
06-29-2005, 09:37 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Calgary, Tampa and Ottawa for next year.

The year after... Atlanta (I think) will be a power house in the near future. If their kids pan out they'll be a force. Columbus also looks good as well.

Closed Thread