HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Early 90's expansion, where are they now?

Old
08-27-2013, 12:44 PM
IranCondraAffair

vCash: 500

Things haven't always been pretty for the 90's expansion teams. In fact, they were so bad that the rules had to be amended so that future expansion teams could be more initially successful.

With that in mind, I thought I'd do a checkup to see how all the teams were doing and provide some comparative perspective on each team's status when compared to their peers....

Ottawa, 55 games under .500 (OTL included) 0 cups, 1 cup finals, 2 conference finals, 6 semi finals, 14 playoff appearances.

San Jose, 54 games under .500 (OTL included) 0 cups, 0 cup finals, 3 conference finals, 11 semi finals, 16 playoffs appearances.

Anaheim, 38 games under .500 (OTL included) 1 cup, 2 cup finals, 3 conference finals, 5 semi finals, 9 playoff appearances.

Tampa Bay, 252 games under .500 (OTL included) 1 cup, 1 cup finals, 2 conference finals, 3 semi finals, 6 playoffs appearances.

Flordia, 156 games under .500 (OTL included) 0 cups, 1 cup finals, 1 conference finals, 1 semi finals, 4 playoffs appearances.

As much as it pains me, I think the Ducks have this on lockdown. They're probably only 3-4 good seasons away from becoming a winning franchise. They're won the cup and they've go deep in the playoffs three times. Interestingly enough, our Murray has been the GM of three of the five franchises (Florida, Anaheim, and Ottawa)

Thoughts?

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
I'd root for Ottawa to win a Cup in a second if Boston wasn't there. Side note I think it's pathetic SJ has been to the semi-finals 11 times and not even 1 Cup appearance...

Bruinswillwin77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
I'd root for Ottawa to win a Cup in a second if Boston wasn't there. Side note I think it's pathetic SJ has been to the semi-finals 11 times and not even 1 Cup appearance...
assuming the stats are correct, kind of shocking when you think about it.

Last edited by Upgrayedd: 08-27-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: nm, semi finals in conference...not as shocked
Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
costermonger
sans classe

Yeah, the San Jose line is just weird. They've made the playoffs about 70% of time, they're victorious in the first round about 70% of the time, and then the wheels fall off - they lose about 70% of their second round matchups, and obviously the conference finals is 0-2 at this point. They're consistent.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by costermonger View Post
Yeah, the San Jose line is just weird. They've made the playoffs about 70% of time, they're victorious in the first round about 70% of the time, and then the wheels fall off - they lose about 70% of their second round matchups, and obviously the conference finals is 0-2 at this point. They're consistent.
Maybe it's the curse of Big Joe.

Bruinswillwin77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Same city they started in!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

The Sharks can't finish. They're one of the few Western teams I'd love to watch win the Cup.

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Tampa and Anaheim are the only successful ones. Tampa may finally be on their way if Bishop keeps up the good work. San Jose is trapped in mediocrity, need a new GM there as Wilson has never won and Thornton? Good player but not going to take you to a Cup. Florida a perpetual mess. We look like we're on the way up but with the cap constraints we may never take that next step. We could also use a new voice at the top that puts the focus uniquely on the NHL playoffs...

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
I find it odd how both Tampa and Florida have 1 cup and 2 finals appearances combined with only 10 playoff spots and a combined 400+ games under .500

Then Ottawa and San Jose have only one finals, and 30 playoff spots at only 100 games under.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
moral victories

vCash: 0
Poor San Jose

08-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Inkling
Habs Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pelton View Post
Poor San Jose
Poor Florida. Despite no Cup Final appearances, I think San Jose fans have had a lot more to cheer for than Panthers fans.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:44 AM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
I'm half surprised at Anaheim's regular season W%, mostly because of their inconsistency at making the playoffs.

At any rate, I'd say Anaheim is most successful by virtue of Cup + multiple Finals + best W%, followed by San Jose and us in a dead heat (SJ has been more consistent in the playoffs, but we had the better playoff peak with a Cup Finals appearance).

08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I'm half surprised at Anaheim's regular season W%, mostly because of their inconsistency at making the playoffs.

At any rate, I'd say Anaheim is most successful by virtue of Cup + multiple Finals + best W%, followed by San Jose and us in a dead heat (SJ has been more consistent in the playoffs, but we had the better playoff peak with a Cup Finals appearance).
I'd have to rate TB second. They've been inconsistent but a cup trumps everything else.

Lenny the Lynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
tony d
The man

I'd rank the teams as follows:

1) Anaheim
2) San Jose
3) Ottawa
4) Tampa Bay
5) Florida

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

I still can't believe Florida made the finals so early in their existence.

swiftwin is online now   Reply With Quote