HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Vancouver - Philadelphia

Old
08-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Bankerguy

vCash: 500
This is how it is.

There are a bunch of homers in this thread... homers from both teams...thinking Edler/Voracek has MORE value than the other.

then there are a bunch of fans from both teams, and 3rd party people who dont care for either team who say "its about fair value"

SO...i think its safe to assume, that these guys have SIMILAR VALUE based on what the MAJORITY of ppl say....the average voice here is that they're pretty much equal.

With that being said.
Edler / Voracek swap makes sense

I also like the Edler + Higgins + pick for Coburn + Voracek
Higgins in Phillys top 9 would put up close to 20 goals and solid two way play....

Bankerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
McNasty

Edler isn't a #1, hes a good defenseman, but the Flyers already have a collection of #2-#4 defenders and they don't have the depth to trade their best winger to acquire another one.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:56 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
Jones is immediately a top 4 d-man on almost every team. And has the potential to win many norris trophies. While Edler is pretty far from even being in contention for one. Edler is not going to get much better if at all for that matter. If you would give me Seth Jones in a trade for Edler I would really consider it. Since, I am accounting the whole package, and that includes potential. And if you see, what is after Jones you will see I would also take many of the top defensive prospects before Edler.

And for Shattenkirk, he is quite underrated I have heard a few blues fans argue that they think Shattenkirk is better than Pietrangelo overall.
Buy into all the hype about Jones. Norris trophies seem to be only on points anymore to me honestly.

I had Ristolainen ahead of jones at start of year and honestly feel he winds up better overall player. He was 4th best prospect to start this season. Rasmus dropped and was no reason for it he added minutes into a mens league and actually played better so really didnt make a lot of sense for him to fall like he did. I think he has style like a lidstrom. Jones is a scorer who will never be physical that is my take on him. Maybe he surprises me but I think he was overhyped. I would also take Nurse over Jones for careers.

I look at defense first and maybe Edler is not ideal defender but if you put him with an adequate shut down he will get you close to 50 points and play very solidly on first line. I think Torts working with Edler this year you will see a big improvement on his own end or on the concerns people may have.

I am redwings and tampa fan so actually see a lot of blues posts and even though they overvalue shattenkirk I dont see them saying he is better than Pietrangelo.

If tampa wasnt getting Drouin I wanted them to drop back and get Ristolainen and Zadorov to be honest. With adding another pick in like second or late first round.

I want Edler and Pietrangelo but the cost would be too much so is better just to wait on some of our defensive prospects to develop.
Voracek is unproven to me yep he almost did a point a game with giroux last year and hartnell and schenn did nothing basically so was those two guys becoming special together. Yet is he really a 40 goal scorer? and 80 point man? I would have to see him do that a couple of times to believe it.

I get a lot of people see a kid do a shortened season kadri voracek etc.. and just automatically think that is gonna make them the next kane's and toews and sedins etc..

I do not buy that though until you prove to me in full seasons a couple times in a row your a point a game guy one of the best in the league I do not put you there.

I have been watching hockey for 36 years now. One year guys are not that special have seen it a ton of times where GM's made moves and than the guy just SUCKS I am talking 100's of times. Happens more often than not to be honest.

So if your going to make some drastic change with a number one player you do not do that with a kid whose best year is a weird shortened season where a lot of guys came into the year out of shape or not at their best?

So Voracek best year ever 50 point guy now all of a sudden he is gonna move up 30 points and 25 goals? He is going to become a 40 goal guy and 80 point guy? I dont buy it. Good luck to philly on that one honestly.

Guy proves himself over 2-3 years than yep anything is on table. Hartnell has only had two good years.

Dealing with Voracek I dont see him shooting 17 % (is probably about 5 guys a year that hit that number )and keeping that up either. He is a - 7 last year and 5 on 5 he only scored 26 points which sure as hell doesnt make him all of a sudden elite when people like galenchyuk playing third line and really no power play got 25 points.

I get being high on the kid for philly fans but your jumping the gun in my opinion. If he does become Giroux who is a proven superstar good for you If not and he drops off at 60 some points you still have a good player.

But based on one very weird NHL season you cant hand the keys to this kid yet and say he is the man.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Buy into all the hype about Jones. Norris trophies seem to be only on points anymore to me honestly.

I had Ristolainen ahead of jones at start of year and honestly feel he winds up better overall player. He was 4th best prospect to start this season. Rasmus dropped and was no reason for it he added minutes into a mens league and actually played better so really didnt make a lot of sense for him to fall like he did. I think he has style like a lidstrom. Jones is a scorer who will never be physical that is my take on him. Maybe he surprises me but I think he was overhyped. I would also take Nurse over Jones for careers.

I look at defense first and maybe Edler is not ideal defender but if you put him with an adequate shut down he will get you close to 50 points and play very solidly on first line. I think Torts working with Edler this year you will see a big improvement on his own end or on the concerns people may have.

I am redwings and tampa fan so actually see a lot of blues posts and even though they overvalue shattenkirk I dont see them saying he is better than Pietrangelo.

If tampa wasnt getting Drouin I wanted them to drop back and get Ristolainen and Zadorov to be honest. With adding another pick in like second or late first round.

I want Edler and Pietrangelo but the cost would be too much so is better just to wait on some of our defensive prospects to develop.
Voracek is unproven to me yep he almost did a point a game with giroux last year and hartnell and schenn did nothing basically so was those two guys becoming special together. Yet is he really a 40 goal scorer? and 80 point man? I would have to see him do that a couple of times to believe it.

I get a lot of people see a kid do a shortened season kadri voracek etc.. and just automatically think that is gonna make them the next kane's and toews and sedins etc..

I do not buy that though until you prove to me in full seasons a couple times in a row your a point a game guy one of the best in the league I do not put you there.

I have been watching hockey for 36 years now. One year guys are not that special have seen it a ton of times where GM's made moves and than the guy just SUCKS I am talking 100's of times. Happens more often than not to be honest.

So if your going to make some drastic change with a number one player you do not do that with a kid whose best year is a weird shortened season where a lot of guys came into the year out of shape or not at their best?

So Voracek best year ever 50 point guy now all of a sudden he is gonna move up 30 points and 25 goals? He is going to become a 40 goal guy and 80 point guy? I dont buy it. Good luck to philly on that one honestly.

Guy proves himself over 2-3 years than yep anything is on table. Hartnell has only had two good years.

Dealing with Voracek I dont see him shooting 17 % (is probably about 5 guys a year that hit that number )and keeping that up either. He is a - 7 last year and 5 on 5 he only scored 26 points which sure as hell doesnt make him all of a sudden elite when people like galenchyuk playing third line and really no power play got 25 points.

I get being high on the kid for philly fans but your jumping the gun in my opinion. If he does become Giroux who is a proven superstar good for you If not and he drops off at 60 some points you still have a good player.

But based on one very weird NHL season you cant hand the keys to this kid yet and say he is the man.
You just don't want to understand that this is the first year he had a chance to play in the top line and guess what all good players put a lot of points in the PP.

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
Did you see a Flyers fan putting Voracek in Trade proposal this season?
Did you see a cancuks fan putting Edler in Trade proposal this season?
A: No.
B: Every 20 minutes. That oughta tell you something.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
You just don't want to understand that this is the first year he had a chance to play in the top line and guess what all good players put a lot of points in the PP.
Not trying to make anyone on philly mad. Just stating how I think. Will schenn and hartnell have better years this year? I say 100% yes. Is 17% attainable? Is only a few who do that year in and out. Maybe he is one of them?

I get was first year with Giroux but he also had time with nash etc.. His best year was 50 points. So to all of a sudden put him in class of elite is crazy to me.

Last year was a ton of guys who had bad years mostly older who will play better this year and was a ton of kids who exceled who will level out or down or off based on others playing better. I truly believe this is going to be the case.

Giroux is elite is either last 3 or 5 years he is 3rd best scorer. Sedins are in that list so moving him to work with them he should still maintain a high level. Do I put him in 80 points NO not a chance not till he does it 2 years in a row.

You know how many guys came on scored close to seventy one year in the past than never made 50 again? Is just too much to digest with last years weird season.

So hope you guys have a great player yet he has proven nothing to me yet. I throw out last year honestly as a basis for new guys till see what everyone does after a full couple of years.

I really believe we will find out a lot of last year will change back to normal with full camps and older players getting what they need to be impact players again.

Last year was simply harder on older players. They came to camp in shape but than went through months waiting and when they showed up it showed up for a lot of very good players.

A lot of younger players therefore had inflated statistics which I think will wind up being unrealistic when the very good players get full offseasons this year to prepare etc..

So like I said is not a bad trade str8 up if wasnt the best winger on one team and that is debatable at this point cause think hartnell probably comes back and has comparable numbers to voracek with this full season. Also the other team losing a number one defender and not having one come back.

Both are playoff teams doesnt make a huge amount of sense to me.

Now the coburn higgins part of this does kinda make a lot more sense.

The original proposal was horrendous to me. Straight up before free agency this deal would have probably been very close even with my concerns. I figure voracek is close to 70 point player. With giroux hartnell or the sedins and if you can get edler with a shut down you have a close to high 40 point defender who is getting better whether people believe that or not. I use the eye test to say that.

Edler is even hitting more even though that was something he didnt do a lot of in past and think he will become even more aggressive with Torts manning the ship.

Since Vancouver cannot get a puck moving scoring D who is top line capable in free agency something would have to change for this deal to make sense.

This is their time for a cup run yep they could use a top 6 forward but cannot trade their most valuable d man with nothing coming back in regards to that to make something like that happen.

Old
08-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
A: No.
B: Every 20 minutes. That oughta tell you something.
It tells you that the Canucks fans think they have two or three guys that can be considered #1 dman, not franchise guys, in Hamhuis, Edler, and Garrison (with even Bieksa being borderline) so they feel that they can move one to help them with their need at forward while PHI does not have anyone who can fill Voracek's role.

Also, Edler was an upcoming UFA, so there were more proposals for him previously.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Last year was a ton of guys who had bad years mostly older who will play better this year and was a ton of kids who exceled who will level out or down or off based on others playing better. I truly believe this is going to be the case.
You may be right generally. But in Voracek's case he began his PPG pace the last 30 or so games of the previous regular season, then continued it during that years playoffs and then into the following strike shortened season. So his production has been over the course of two seasons which leads me to believe that last year wasn't a fluke.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
It tells you that the Canucks fans think they have two or three guys that can be considered #1 dman, not franchise guys, in Hamhuis, Edler, and Garrison (with even Bieksa being borderline) so they feel that they can move one to help them with their need at forward while PHI does not have anyone who can fill Voracek's role.

Also, Edler was an upcoming UFA, so there were more proposals for him previously.
The Flyers aren't trading Voracek because he's a keeper.

If you think Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa can be considered #1 Dmen, you just enjoy the kool aid and good luck.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:27 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
You may be right generally. But in Voracek's case he began his PPG pace the last 30 or so games of the previous regular season, then continued it during that years playoffs and then into the following strike shortened season. So his production has been over the course of two seasons which leads me to believe that last year wasn't a fluke.
No I said I doubt his numbers are a fluke so to speak he is probably a 70 point guy yet till he hits 80 for 2 years I dont buy he is a point a game guy. I do not think 17 % is attainable and think he is more like a 13 percent shoot guy. He also has tendency to pass at times. He needs to pick up the shooting. Or keep up last years etc..

I was just explaining why value of edler is more at this point. Straight up at right time this was probably a good deal. He works with giroux he would work fine with sedins. Think scoring over last three years is marty stamkos sedins than giroux. So is good fit.

Said is about equal if had free agency ahead would be good deal. Philly is playoff contender and if can get solid play goaltending and defense wise they have a shot. Vancouver is not getting any younger. They are set for cup runs maybe for 2-3 years. They need to win now. So this deal just made no sense.

I get why made sense when edler was unsigned etc.. His contract is pretty good though now. And to me he is their best d man.

Was a lot of guys saying value was higher for voracek and I am a bystander so figured to say why dont agree with that at all. If anyone is worth more for right now is Edler.

I think a defender is most valuable at 27-32 and a forward 24-30 Those to me are their prime years. Most people on this board will say he is younger blah blah blah. I think both have very good contracts or fair ones.

If you can fit around a deal where philly somehow gets at least a top 6 forward back and vancouver gets a top four d man than think this deal could get done. It would actually make sense.

I just think it makes more sense for teams like philly and vancouver to deal with teams say like florida? Why not go after fleischmann? Give up some picks or and asset or two. They are going to be terrible so dont see why they wouldnt add some more youth.

Same can be said to philly go after new jersey or someone with a bunch of d prospects some that are ready and give some youth or picks?

So philly goes after a number one you give up one of your d guys a good prospect and a first? Go after phaneuf? you give up meszaros or schenn and a top prospect and number one pick? I cant see him costing much more than that based on they cant pay their guys as is now. Understand fans will say no but GM's?

I do get Toronto might consider itself a cup contender even though no one else does. Just wait till trade deadline

Old
08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Bankerguy

Edler is EASILY a top pairing Dman.

He's probably 12-16th best Dman in the league.

40-45ish points...he still has potential to hit 50.
He's got GREAT mobility
Exccellent size and he hits. Sometimes his hits are absolutely devastating.
Great contract
Low maintenance.
He's very good in his own zone...

Is he Shea Weber, or Keith, or Karlsson or Chara... no he's not...but he's still a top pairing guy

Top line winger for top pairing Dman... thats pretty close to fair value. TAke off the homer glasses guys

Old
08-29-2013, 02:46 PM
JayB

I would be interestin about Zach Kassian. What we need to give up to land him to Philly? Or Edler+Kassian?

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
Edler is EASILY a top pairing Dman.

He's probably 12-16th best Dman in the league.

40-45ish points...he still has potential to hit 50.
He's got GREAT mobility
Exccellent size and he hits. Sometimes his hits are absolutely devastating.
Great contract
Low maintenance.
He's very good in his own zone...

Is he Shea Weber, or Keith, or Karlsson or Chara... no he's not...but he's still a top pairing guy

Top line winger for top pairing Dman... thats pretty close to fair value. TAke off the homer glasses guys
For me at least, Voracek has only had half a season of top line production. In general, defensemen have more value than wingers as well, which is why I'd be averse to trading Edler for Voracek straight up.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 03:12 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

If you think Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa can be considered #1 Dmen, you just enjoy the kool aid and good luck.
Hamhuis is better than Edler and is the closest thing to a #1 on the Canucks.

08-29-2013, 04:38 PM
ARSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Hamhuis is better than Edler and is the closest thing to a #1 on the Canucks.
He's not just the closest thing, he IS a number 1 defenseman. He's a top 20 D in the NHL, which makes him a #1 guy by default. Edler is also in and around the top 30, so he would qualify as at least borderline.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Hamhuis has been top 10 in Norris voting.

Edler is an all-star.

Garrison outplayed both last year and has some of the best advanced stats in the league while playing against to competition.

Bieksa really isn't but has received Norris votes.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
The Flyers are good on Defense right now, unless we're acquiring a proven #1 which Edler most certainly is not. He's good, but not worth us losing even more offense for. Especially Voracek who is our second best forward after Giroux.

We traded Carter for Voracek and a 1st, and we recently signed Mark Streit. I don't think it makes sense to move Voracek for defense.

Furthermore, Voracek is an excellent 1st line winger to play with Giroux, which is hard to find. It took Pitt years to acquire a winger like Neal to play with their centers.

And honestly, I like the defensemen we drafted this year and feel that Morin/Hagg are the future of our defense. No need to trade our 24 year old scoring winger who just broke out for a 27 year old #2 defenseman

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 04:48 PM
ARSix

^Uh, Morin and Hagg won't be productive members of the flyers for probably 5 years, if they ever are.

Re: above, Garrison's performance in a shortened season shouldn't really put him in the #1D discussion any more than Edler's performance should take him out of that discussion. Garrison has been "good top 4" status for three years running now, but I still say a strong season this year is necessary before judging his value in Van.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Bankerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
For me at least, Voracek has only had half a season of top line production. In general, defensemen have more value than wingers as well, which is why I'd be averse to trading Edler for Voracek straight up.
I think that if you consider the fact Voracek is trending up... (quickly) ..it could mean he has more value... UNLESS you think its a bit of an anomoly....which i do not think it is...
regardless... to say that one of these guys has SUBSTANTIALLY more value than the other means you're a homer..or you simply dont know hockey.
I wish they made people take hockeyiq tests before giving out accounts on HF. i would say 60% of comments on here are people who know hockey explaining things to people who dont know hockey *see this thread
20% is straight trolling...
and 20% is actual constructive conversation/arguments.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
^Uh, Morin and Hagg won't be productive members of the flyers for probably 5 years, if they ever are.

Re: above, Garrison's performance in a shortened season shouldn't really put him in the #1D discussion any more than Edler's performance should take him out of that discussion. Garrison has been "good top 4" status for three years running now, but I still say a strong season this year is necessary before judging his value in Van.
Well we also have Gustafsson and L.Schenn. Schenn already played big minutes for us last season and did well and Gus is ready for a bigger role on the team. We still have guys like Coburn and Streit signed for at least 4 years as well.

I think our defense is fine until Morin/Hagg.

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Bankerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
And honestly, I like the defensemen we drafted this year and feel that Morin/Hagg are the future of our defense. No need to trade our 24 year old scoring winger who just broke out for a 27 year old #2 defenseman
Labels can sometimes make things confusing on HF boards.
.... by your definition, there's probably about 12 "NO.1" in the entire league. Edler IS in that 12-16 range.. so if you think a player like that is a "NO.2" then i'd say Streit and Timonen are no.3's since Edler is definitely a step better than both of them currently.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:12 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
He's not just the closest thing, he IS a number 1 defenseman. He's a top 20 D in the NHL, which makes him a #1 guy by default. Edler is also in and around the top 30, so he would qualify as at least borderline.
I agree with the top 20 D-Man part but I disagree with your criteria of a #1 D-Man IMO Chara, Suter, Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, OEL and Subban are the only #1's in the league while guys like Hamhuis, Edlr, Phaneuf, McDoangh, Seabrook ETC are 1 B's or very, very solid #2's.

K2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Hamhuis has been top 10 in Norris voting.

Edler is an all-star.

Garrison outplayed both last year and has some of the best advanced stats in the league while playing against to competition.

Bieksa really isn't but has received Norris votes.
Wow, why didn't they win the Cup with a D that great?

Old
08-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Wow, why didn't they win the Cup with a D that great?
They didn't win the Cup but did win two Presidents trophies and made a finals appearance with the guys.

It's not like they have been a crapy team that misses the playoffs.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:27 PM
KevinChurch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
This is how it is.

There are a bunch of homers in this thread... homers from both teams...thinking Edler/Voracek has MORE value than the other.

then there are a bunch of fans from both teams, and 3rd party people who dont care for either team who say "its about fair value"

SO...i think its safe to assume, that these guys have SIMILAR VALUE based on what the MAJORITY of ppl say....the average voice here is that they're pretty much equal.

With that being said.
Edler / Voracek swap makes sense

I also like the Edler + Higgins + pick for Coburn + Voracek
Higgins in Phillys top 9 would put up close to 20 goals and solid two way play....
I don't know where you're getting that from, I don't see a majority saying that they're equal in value,
Id' say that the majority opinion among of neutral fans is that Voracek has significantly more value

Last edited by KevinChurch*: 08-29-2013 at 05:34 PM.
KevinChurch* is offline   Reply With Quote