HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pronger to the Kings rumor again...

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
fortunately, most of us still don't believe it. there's just a reputable source that suggests the POSSIBILITY. some of you get way too excited about rumors.
I'm not excited. I'm more int he believe it when I see it. It's just when there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Explain how it is unfair for a team that has concentrated on bringin in veteran players for the better part of ten years now to be treated unfairly when they were also one of those teams givin exorbant contracts out to players and out pricing others in the league? The small markey teams have taken control of the NHL power it seems and are not much concerned about fairness to those teams who didn't seem to give a rat's ass about them previously. Its something called karma.
ClashCiti, not sure which ugly stepchild of a team you root for, don't really care, my point is that I don't think either the NHL or the NHLPA want a scenario where all of a sudden there are 100-150 more free agents out there, and fans will be even more alienated from there favorite teams due to a lack of familiar faces than they already are. That is my point.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:05 PM
WC Handy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Frenzy, you're assuming the new CBA will be the same as the last CBA. Most reports suggest the new CBA's UFA age will be 30 years old. So, if 2004-05 contracts are not honored, Pronger hits the UFA market...along with hundreds more players.
The Toronto Star, Larry Brooks, and Eklund all reported today that the UFA age would remain 31 years this summer.

That would make him an RFA and Blues property unless they don't give him his $7.22M qualifying offer. They will.

Mile Millbury reported today that 04-05 contracts would be honored.

That would make him under contract with the Blues.

The Galley report which came out before July 1st (that's today), suggested that the deal was already done and would be signed as soon as the CBA was complete. At the very least, Pronger was Blues property until midnight June 30th (last night). So, if the Galley report is true, the Kings will be getting investigated for tampering and be ready to send a 1st round pick plus a bunch of other stuff to the Blues for tampering.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I'm not excited. I'm more int he believe it when I see it. It's just when there's smoke, there's usually fire.

over the past year, i think if there's anything we've learned, it's just the opposite. if there's smoke..it's because someone's blowing it.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Handy
The Toronto Star, Larry Brooks, and Eklund all reported today that the UFA age would remain 31 years this summer.

That would make him an RFA and Blues property unless they don't give him his $7.22M qualifying offer. They will.

Mile Millbury reported today that 04-05 contracts would be honored.

That would make him under contract with the Blues.

The Galley report which came out before July 1st (that's today), suggested that the deal was already done and would be signed as soon as the CBA was complete. At the very least, Pronger was Blues property until midnight June 30th (last night). So, if the Galley report is true, the Kings will be getting investigated for tampering and be ready to send a 1st round pick plus a bunch of other stuff to the Blues for tampering.
And what if it's a trade?

Old
07-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Jag68Sid87

With ownership being in a state of flux right now, I'm not convinced that the Blues would qualify Pronger at $7.22 million. And I am also not certain that they'd be keen on buying out either Tkachuk or Weight. And I am also skeptical that ANY NHL club would want to saddle their team payroll with three humongous contracts like Tkachuk, Weight and Pronger.

If Pronger was one of the two Blues with the long-term deal, this wouldn't even be an issue. But he's the one closest to UFA status among the three. So, there is still a chance that he'll be the first to go. When new owners come in, there will be precious few allegiances and the main priority will be the bottom line.

AND, let's not forget Pronger's desires in this whole situation. If he wants out, it'll all come out in the end.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
over the past year, i think if there's anything we've learned, it's just the opposite. if there's smoke..it's because someone's blowing it.
Indeed, this could the case as well.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:15 PM
WC Handy*

Quote:
With ownership being in a state of flux right now, I'm not convinced that the Blues would qualify Pronger at $7.22 million. And I am also not certain that they'd be keen on buying out either Tkachuk or Weight. And I am also skeptical that ANY NHL club would want to saddle their team payroll with three humongous contracts like Tkachuk, Weight and Pronger.

If Pronger was one of the two Blues with the long-term deal, this wouldn't even be an issue. But he's the one closest to UFA status among the three. So, there is still a chance that he'll be the first to go. When new owners come in, there will be precious few allegiances and the main priority will be the bottom line.

AND, let's not forget Pronger's desires in this whole situation. If he wants out, it'll all come out in the end.
THE BLUES WILL QUALIFY CHRIS PRONGER.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:17 PM
WC Handy*

Quote:
And what if it's a trade?
Do you honestly think the Kings and the Blues are on the phone talking about a trade that would involve a player that could be a UFA, could be an RFA, or could be under contract for $7.22M? Maybe they'd send feelers out, but they're not going to get very deep into the conversation when the status of the player is up in the air.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Do you honestly think the Kings and the Blues are on the phone talking about a trade that would involve a player that could be a UFA, could be an RFA, or could be under contract for $7.22M? Maybe they'd send feelers out, but they're not going to get very deep into the conversation when the status of the player is up in the air.
No but if the CBA is settled, or the major parts that would be obstacles to a trade are, then I could see it happening.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
WC Handy*

Quote:
No but if the CBA is settled, or the major parts that would be obstacles to a trade are, then I could see it happening.
I'd live with it if the Blues traded Pronger... although, I doubt any Kings fan would as I dont see Pleau trading Pronger unless the return is ridiculous. I'm talking start with Brown & Grebeshkov...

Old
07-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
I'd live with it if the Blues traded Pronger... although, I doubt any Kings fan would as I dont see Pleau trading Pronger unless the return is ridiculous. I'm talking start with Brown & Grebeshkov...
Aren't the Blues due to be over the proposed cap, and in desperate need of shedding some salary? Pronger would be a good start....

Old
07-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Aren't the Blues due to be over the proposed cap, and in desperate need of shedding some salary? Pronger would be a good start....
Pronger would eat all of our cap room too-depending on how low the final cap is, and if contracts are honored.

07-01-2005, 11:41 PM
WC Handy*

Quote:
Aren't the Blues due to be over the proposed cap, and in desperate need of shedding some salary?
NO!

Old
07-01-2005, 11:54 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
I think the Blues have Tkachuk at $9M (before rollback) and Doug Weight at $7M (before rollback).

I wonder if they're off the books now... if not, they won't qualify Pronger.

Old
07-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Tonight on FOX:

When Christian Scientists Invade HFBoards!
I'm no Christian Scientist. I'm just a Protestant who's almost been killed or irreversibly damaged so many times by medical incompetence that I can't believe in that profession anymore.

Pronger would be a great catch for the Kings, if he'll take a lot less money to play for them.

Old
07-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Explain how it is unfair for a team that has concentrated on bringin in veteran players for the better part of ten years now to be treated unfairly when they were also one of those teams givin exorbant contracts out to players and out pricing others in the league? The small markey teams have taken control of the NHL power it seems and are not much concerned about fairness to those teams who didn't seem to give a rat's ass about them previously. Its something called karma.
And your description is called overly simplistic. As if money alone is why some (not all, it should be noted) small market teams failed.

Ever think that your small market team simply had inferior management?

You want karma? It will be hilarious to watch the best and brightest minds in the NHL continue to lead their organizations to success, while amazingly , the sudden rise of the "have not" teams predicted by some wishful fans here will be slow in coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
People are worth whatever they are paid if they make an honest living.
Good to see at least one person stayed awake in his Economics 101 class. Thank you for "getting it".

Last edited by Trottier: 07-02-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old
07-02-2005, 06:51 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_leaf_guy
I think the Blues have Tkachuk at $9M (before rollback) and Doug Weight at $7M (before rollback).

I wonder if they're off the books now... if not, they won't qualify Pronger.

1) Yes, the Blues do have Tkachuk and Weight under contract for next year and

2) We would still have plenty of room(regardless of whether he is a UFA or RFA) to qualify/resign Pronger.

Look at the link WC provided, it is a fairly good overview of the Blues Cap situation. The Blues will have a minimum of 3 mil in Cap space(with 4 roster spots left to fill) and a Max of nearly 15 mil(with 9 spots to fill). The only way Pronger is leaving St. Louis is if he wants to leave(meaning he asks for a trade or refuses to sign our offers as a UFA, if he is an RFA he WILL be qualified) and he has already gone on record(multiple times) as saying he wants a long term deal with the Blues. Really people, all of these Pronger rumors are pipe dreams created by the media and have zero substance to them.

Old
07-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Why the Kings?

Old
07-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
With the ownership in a state of flux, you would want to have your franchise player signed. Let me ask you a question, are the Blues more valueable as a franchise with Pronger in the line up or not? A team with 3rd liners, though cheap has lesser value then a team that can compete and has one of the top 3 dmen in the league and is still 30.

1st as a new owner you want to keep your fan support and 2nd you want to corporate support. Especially after a season with out hockey. You need to put a product on the ice that can compete. Now next season you can start the rebuilding process, trade Pronger (if he is not in the long term plans) trade KT and trade Weight (all at the deadline). Get younger if that is the plan.

If there is a trade, I think LA would be a good trading partner and so would Phili provided the rumors of buying out Leclaire and Amonte are true. I could see Florida and maybe even Atlanta - not sure they have the pieces though - being in the mix.

Old
07-02-2005, 10:31 AM
AH

The Blues will have to re-tool / rebuild over the next couple of years. Even if they have a top heavy payroll in Tkatchuk, Weight, and Pronger, all three are in the last year of their respective deals. The Blues can trade each one of those guys at the deadline for young assets when most of the salary has already been dispensed at that point in the season.

If the blues are ding well, they will keep them. If not, they will trade them.

When it comes to the one time buyouts, I will be very surprised if any player in the last year of their deal is bought out. Why would any ownership want to spend 2/3 of a salary on a buyout and get nothing for them in the end, when they can just keep them, pay 2/3 of their salary for the year until the trade deadline and get something for them in a trade ?

Old
07-02-2005, 12:03 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Why the Kings?
Because we are a young team on the rise. He will be able to take #1 defenseman spot and play with Norstrom allowing him to be more risky in the offense zone knowing he has Norstrom behind him. We have the money to sign him plus we have the money to sign quite a few more players and signing those with our upcoming players (The Monarchs who were #1 in the AHL) we will have quite a good team in the near future

Old
07-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
First off no sports player is worth 2 million. No sports player should be making more than any type of doctor. Doctors underpaid, sports players way over paid. Just had to throw my 2cents in.
Unfortunately your point of view flies out the window seeing that 20,000 people a night dont pay to watch operations.

Old
07-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert
No doctor is worth two million bucks, or even a million. The medical profession is the largest and most elaborate con in the history of man.
As a physician I care about my patients and try to do what is best for them. I am sorry you fell that you have been treated poorly. However, to judge an entire profession shows a lack of insight on your part. I hope you stay healthy but if not, find a doctor you can talk to and trust - most of us care what happens to our patients.

Old
07-02-2005, 09:16 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Because we are a young team on the rise. He will be able to take #1 defenseman spot and play with Norstrom allowing him to be more risky in the offense zone knowing he has Norstrom behind him. We have the money to sign him plus we have the money to sign quite a few more players and signing those with our upcoming players (The Monarchs who were #1 in the AHL) we will have quite a good team in the near future
As well as the city itself. Pronger is a snob who will love all that LA has to offer.

Closed Thread