HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2013, 10:37 AM
  #451
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I have to defend gagner. so many people are trying to make him sound like he isn't even qualified to be a 4th line benchwarmer playing two minutes a night.

ok so maybe he doesn't have the same compete level Smyth had in his prime, but he has a heck of a lot more "try" than the majority of the oilers in the last 5 years.
I dont think anyone is saying that. They are saying that his effort level and how he "never takes a night off", his continued improvement in every aspect of his game, his great leadership qualities, his standing up for teammates is all greatly exaggerated.

Sure he a lot of try on most nights. Gagner is an above average 2nd line centre in terms of the points he puts up every season. He just can't play defense. Part of the reason for that is that he hasn't the strength to win puck battles. The rest is that he doesn't seem to know where to go in his own end. Gagner is gritty - just that he has the grit of a mosquito. He battles. He just always loses.

nabob is online now  
Old
09-02-2013, 11:02 AM
  #452
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Sam Tebow for Edmonton Mayor and Team Captain. he will skirt around issues like he skirts around dirty areas. then will sweep in like a vulture for the heroic moment. Taylor Hall isnt ready for that type of pressure.

the "dressing room" argument for a captain is so hilarious.

just hire Tony Robbins to be the captain-of-the-locker-room with Katz's sick drug-bucks.
he can run the boom box and pick up coffee too.
What in the flying **** is this?

What is your point? I don't think you have one.

This is the pinnacle of Sam Gagner posts here folks.

Tad Mikowsky is online now  
Old
09-02-2013, 11:02 AM
  #453
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,652
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I dont think anyone is saying that. They are saying that his effort level and how he "never takes a night off", his continued improvement in every aspect of his game, his great leadership qualities, his standing up for teammates is all greatly exaggerated.

Sure he a lot of try on most nights. Gagner is an above average 2nd line centre in terms of the points he puts up every season. He just can't play defense. Part of the reason for that is that he hasn't the strength to win puck battles. The rest is that he doesn't seem to know where to go in his own end. Gagner is gritty - just that he has the grit of a mosquito. He battles. He just always loses.
but for the topic on hand. I don't hate the idea of him as captain. I don't think it's the best choice, but I also don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he has the makings of a captain.

I think it should be, and will be Hall. But we'll see, I suppose.

(I also don't think that what a player does in his personal life should make a difference in the selection, like some people think. If a guy likes a couple of beers and chases girls, I don't care)

Gord is offline  
Old
09-02-2013, 11:59 PM
  #454
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,443
vCash: 50
I dont know what is more embarrassing.

The fact the Oilers might actually do this.

Or the fact that so many are supporting it.


Last edited by I am the Liquor: 09-03-2013 at 12:27 AM.
I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:42 AM
  #455
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
What in the flying **** is this?

What is your point? I don't think you have one.

This is the pinnacle of Sam Gagner posts here folks.
that hes overrated BRO TOWN. and making fun of all the love for second rate / "B" tier players in this fan base. it's kind of embarrassing that after this long of "rebuilding" and putting up with crap teams, theyd make this move.
also, laughing at the people trying to talk about "THE DRESSING ROOM" as some main argument.

dude doesnt deserve to be the captain of an NHL team when he shows up so ******* inconsistently.

CorpseFX is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:57 AM
  #456
XxSnipEzZ93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Edmonton AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Just my personal opinion, not that it matters but if I was Eakins I'd have; Captain: Andrew Ference, Assistant: Taylor Hall, Assistant: Ryan Smyth

XxSnipEzZ93 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 02:04 AM
  #457
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,744
vCash: 500
Garbagekov will be captain this season

Mr Forever is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 02:05 AM
  #458
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,866
vCash: 687
I'm not a big Gagner fan, but man is he ever taking a beating in this thread.

Puritania is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 02:33 AM
  #459
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,215
vCash: 500
^^^ it's a bit much. I'm not a huge Gagner fan either but he's a true pro and great individual, as a person I mean. Really hoping for a good, consistent year out of him, team needs it.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 08:53 AM
  #460
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont know what is more embarrassing.

The fact the Oilers might actually do this.

Or the fact that so many are supporting it.
It's neither. The most embarrassing thing is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
that hes overrated BRO TOWN. and making fun of all the love for second rate / "B" tier players in this fan base. it's kind of embarrassing that after this long of "rebuilding" and putting up with crap teams, theyd make this move.
also, laughing at the people trying to talk about "THE DRESSING ROOM" as some main argument.

dude doesnt deserve to be the captain of an NHL team when he shows up so ******* inconsistently.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 09:23 AM
  #461
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
that hes overrated BRO TOWN. and making fun of all the love for second rate / "B" tier players in this fan base. it's kind of embarrassing that after this long of "rebuilding" and putting up with crap teams, theyd make this move.
also, laughing at the people trying to talk about "THE DRESSING ROOM" as some main argument.

dude doesnt deserve to be the captain of an NHL team when he shows up so ******* inconsistently.
Whats embarrasing is posts like this that have no clue.

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
  #462
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,829
vCash: 500
This thread should serve for some to be a truly cathartic moment. It should the moment you realize you Honestly and Truly don't like the team and/or sport, and maybe it's best to invest this energy elsewhere.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 09:50 AM
  #463
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
This thread demonstrates how disgusting much of Oiler fandom is.

doulos is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
  #464
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
It's neither. The most embarrassing thing is this:
Nailed it.

I don't understand the Gagner haters arguments, because they are so poorly constructed.

Yeah, this is a great example how crappy this fanbase can be. Always the same people too.

Tad Mikowsky is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:08 AM
  #465
hellacious
Registered User
 
hellacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
that hes overrated BRO TOWN. and making fun of all the love for second rate / "B" tier players in this fan base. it's kind of embarrassing that after this long of "rebuilding" and putting up with crap teams, theyd make this move.
also, laughing at the people trying to talk about "THE DRESSING ROOM" as some main argument.

dude doesnt deserve to be the captain of an NHL team when he shows up so ******* inconsistently.
Its kinda embarrassing that you think making fun is being un-witty and writing like a valley girl dude. Try to at least be funny if you wanna make fun otherwise your doing yourself a disservice!.

hellacious is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:12 AM
  #466
hellacious
Registered User
 
hellacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Nailed it.

I don't understand the Gagner haters arguments, because they are so poorly constructed.

Yeah, this is a great example how crappy this fanbase can be. Always the same people too.
The fan base is fine, we just have a small number of militants hiding in the bushes with worn out keyboards.

hellacious is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
  #467
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This thread should serve for some to be a truly cathartic moment. It should the moment you realize you Honestly and Truly don't like the team and/or sport, and maybe it's best to invest this energy elsewhere.
On the one hand these people you're addressing are so fanatical about the Oilers that they waste huge chunks of their days reading and posting on an internet forum dedicated to the team.

On the other hand they think the team's second line centre is overrated and doesn't deserve to be made captain.

Your conclusion: they hate the team and hockey in general.

With deductive abilities like that it is small wonder that you come away from an Oilers' game thinking Sammy Snowpants is a great hockey player.

worraps is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #468
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
On the one hand these people you're addressing are so fanatical about the Oilers that they waste huge chunks of their days reading and posting on an internet forum dedicated to the team.

On the other hand they think the team's second line centre is overrated and doesn't deserve to be made captain.

Your conclusion: they hate the team and hockey in general.

With deductive abilities like that it is small wonder that you come away from an Oilers' game thinking Sammy Snowpants is a great hockey player.
When you can invest this much pointless vitriol into something that has SUCH a miminal affect on you as a fan, and to something that you have SO LITTLE insight into, maybe it's at the point where, yes, you don't like the team and sport as much as you think you do. Not really complicated when you really look at it.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  #469
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,328
vCash: 500
Not sure how to put this.

I'm a known Gagner fan. Positive about the player, prospects, and what that brings. But this doesn't stop me from acknowledging there can, and should, be other opinions on the player and supporting the right for natural dialogue and discussion on this. Which I sometimes engage in.

But the one thing I ask in this is that the counters be somewhat well thought out, well constructed, and actually say something. Too much of the criticism has been ineffectual noise that barely rises above rabble.

By all means invoke criticism. But make it a good argument. Not one full of holes.

An actual discussion being more respectful because it actually attempts to engage in discussion rather than the obtuse obfuscation of truth...

Replacement is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:48 AM
  #470
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not an elite player.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.

Aerchon is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
  #471
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not an elite player.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.
Good post.

worraps is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:15 AM
  #472
robbiezyg
Registered User
 
robbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not an elite player.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.
I dont think the only real option is Taylor Hall because Ference would be 10x the captain that Hall could be based on how much maturing Taylor Hall still has to do. I would be perfectly fine with not even having a captain this year

robbiezyg is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:23 AM
  #473
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not an elite player.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.
I haven't read much, if any, of this. I have read alot of over the top stupid rage related to the speculation though.

And right at the end you submarine anything you accomplished with the rest of the post.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
  #474
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not an elite player.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.
Is he? Why? Hall is obviously the superior player, but why does that automatically make him the better choice for captain?

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:51 AM
  #475
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,306
vCash: 50
People here are obsessed with making the best player on the team captain.

The capitals have done squat with ovechkin as captain. Meanwhile the Kings have won 6 playoff rounds with Dustin Brown as captain in the last two years.

The players know each other better than anyone on this forum.

For all we know, Taylor Hall may have privately turned down the captaincy or suggested Gagner instead.

The venom in this thread is ridiculous and the people posting without any sort of valid point should be ashamed of themselves.

"Sam Tebow" my behind.

GreatKeith is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.