HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 News & Notes

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Staying the course can be hard. Being patient even harder. You are equating those things with coasting which is a favorite word for lack of effort.

Again, it may well be Leonsis is wrong in his staying the course, but I doubt seriously that he's coasting.

Leonsis has gone the big splash route before and the failure was far worse than this mess. Maybe you have forgotten about that. I doubt that he has.
When your big splash was bringing in the most hated player from your franchise's most hated rival, you have to wonder....

A more well thought out big splash could have been made and could still be made.

Old
02-12-2014, 06:20 PM
SDBondra

I hate Jagr as much as anyone but at the time, I thought bringing him to Washington meant we were going to win it all. I bet a lot of us did. Not saying it was a smart move, but it was ballsy and it seemed reasonable.

Old
02-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Brian23

I'm still confused, as has been said in here, why were still talking about a move that was made over a decade ago as if it's something recently. Its insane.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I'm still confused, as has been said in here, why were still talking about a move that was made over a decade ago as if it's something recently. Its insane.
It's being presented repeatedly as a cautionary tale to forever ward off all active owners. I personally don't buy it.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:14 PM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
It's being presented repeatedly as a cautionary tale to forever ward off all active owners. I personally don't buy it.
Neither does every team who has won a Cup.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Neither does every team who has won a Cup.
The "Sitting on your hands" strategy only goes so far.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:43 PM
txpd

there is no middle ground between sitting on your hands and the big splash?
yes, leonsis went big on jagr and then on lang. it failed. he has decided that's not the way to go now. so, if you ask why the caps don't trade backstrom and green like the flyers did carter and Richards, that's probably why.

McPhee has signed the big ufa. Lang was fine but part of the failure. Nylander looked good and then was responsible for them not being able to get Guerin. So maybe they don't want to go that route anymore. They seem to have said as much.

Seems to me you all would be happier had McPhee sat on his hands at the last trade deadline.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:46 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
yes, leonsis went big on jagr and then on lang. it failed. he has decided that's not the way to go now. so, if you ask why the caps don't trade backstrom and green like the flyers did carter and Richards, that's probably why.

McPhee has signed the big ufa. Lang was fine but part of the failure. Nylander looked good and then was responsible for them not being able to get Guerin. So maybe they don't want to go that route anymore. They seem to have said as much.

Seems to me you all would be happier had McPhee sat on his hands at the last trade deadline.

You begin with a middle ground plea and end with a false dilemma of extremes. Well done.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
So I guess that counts as a big move for the Flyers but not the Kings?

Old
02-12-2014, 08:50 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Seems to me we may be happier having Ted as our GM, at least when we pick our coaches. Even he after 15 years would have figured out to try someone with NHL coaching experience.

Blind squirrel, he likely would have hit on one of his big acquisitions. At least he tried.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Liberati0n*

It's not a question of finding a middle ground. It's a question of making the right moves regardless of what kind of moves they are. Actually, a GM believing that a couple of bad UFA experiences means he should withdraw from pursuing major UFAs altogether, rather than reassess how he chooses which to pursue, is pretty significant grounds for him to be fired.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
When your big splash was bringing in the most hated player from your franchise's most hated rival, you have to wonder....

A more well thought out big splash could have been made and could still be made.
I thought that at the time Jagr was the best player in the league. further the team he was being added to was a team highly respected for its work ethic and its defense. all the things this current team is criticized for. they should couldn't get the offense they needed to get over the hump. enter the best offensive player in the game.

who them immediately took a big contract and then laid down because he hated living and working where he was not a star.

I heard it mentioned today. There is nothing educational about the second kick from a mule.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:10 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
It's not a question of finding a middle ground. It's a question of making the right moves regardless of what kind of moves they are. Actually, a GM believing that a couple of bad UFA experiences means he should withdraw from pursuing major UFAs altogether, rather than reassess how he chooses which to pursue, is pretty significant grounds for him to be fired.
this is an area where I look forward to McPhee leaving. I am fairly convinced that these things are leonsis driven. so...if McPhee gets canned and the new gm is strangely acting like McPhee, then we will know.

for instance. McPhee gone. Who does Leonsis hire? Rookie gm or experienced gm? McPhee was a rookie gm. If Leonsis hires a rookie gm, then bet ya that his first coaching hire is....a rookie coach.

I know this. I will be full on shocked if after McPhee goes to Calgary, Leonsis brings in some gunslinger gm. I just don't see it.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
So I guess that counts as a big move for the Flyers but not the Kings?
I guess half of that. right? Carter and Richards going out was a big change, but only one guy went to the Kings directly and Richards was easily the biggest player involved

Old
02-12-2014, 09:17 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
this is an area where I look forward to McPhee leaving. I am fairly convinced that these things are leonsis driven. so...if McPhee gets canned and the new gm is strangely acting like McPhee, then we will know.
We already know. Remember "the market has spoken" following the low Easter weekend attendance during the playoff debacle vs TB in the year before the firesale?

Unless you think over all these years Ted and GMGM haven't had any plan or collaboration regarding Ted's budget and expectations? The only question in my mind is whether GMGM is stringing Ted along with promises an excuses, or Ted has GMGM walking that "middle ground" that balances marketing and playoff appearances.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
You begin with a middle ground plea and end with a false dilemma of extremes. Well done.
yea? all I know is that I see whining about sitting on his hands after hearing whining about him making a move at the most recent trade deadline. maybe its just me, but sitting on your hands means doing nothing. taking a shot at a fairly risky deal is the opposite of doing nothing. had erat had a real impact in the rangers series rather than getting put in the hospital by his own captain, it might have been received better.

what is for sure is that Forsberg for Erat and Latta was neither sitting on his hands nor risk averse.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:

for instance. McPhee gone. Who does Leonsis hire? Rookie gm or experienced gm? McPhee was a rookie gm. If Leonsis hires a rookie gm, then bet ya that his first coaching hire is....a rookie coach.

I know this. I will be full on shocked if after McPhee goes to Calgary, Leonsis brings in some gunslinger gm. I just don't see it.
Maybe you're right; someone as stupid as Ted Leonsis would probably only be able to comprehend a very black-and-white approach to the UFA market.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Brian23

My only thought is I think Leonsis needs to bring in a Veteran GM. Someone who's been around the block a few times. If he just promotes from within you know we've got a problem.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
yea? all I know is that I see whining about sitting on his hands after hearing whining about him making a move at the most recent trade deadline. maybe its just me, but sitting on your hands means doing nothing. taking a shot at a fairly risky deal is the opposite of doing nothing. had erat had a real impact in the rangers series rather than getting put in the hospital by his own captain, it might have been received better.

what is for sure is that Forsberg for Erat and Latta was neither sitting on his hands nor risk averse.
Just because a deal carries some risk (they all do) doesn't mean it's good or that it erases all other moves and needs. It's also not top talent for top money.

If you're citing a handful of moves over a 15 year span you're not really making much of a case. Especially if the recent big move is a non-roster prospect for a 2nd tier guy like Erat. A questionable move that could be very bad and has debatable upside is not the good kind of risk.

And if you have to continually nitpick words and phrases for semantics while throwing out logical fallacies then you're not really on very solid ground to begin with.

Anything else?

Old
02-13-2014, 01:07 AM
SDBondra

I think it was probably the right thing to do to let this current generation run it's course for a few years. They are talented enough to compete. So I don't have much blame to pass around. But now is a different time and changes need to be made. Kuznetsov isn't enough to single-handedly turn this team into a Cup contender.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:16 AM
txpd

The caps havent been hands off the us market. They have grabs this season. Ward recently among others.
they just have not gone for a backstrom sized u fa contract.

And like I said. Lets get McPhee out and see what lenses does. Many here if I recall are interested in specific rookie Gmail candidates

Old
02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:

Sitting on his hands was the wrong term, but sure keep running hard with that. How about we say middling/mediocre/poor moves that have us further from a Cup than we've been in 5 seasons?

Old
02-25-2014, 11:29 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

reCAPS (haha)

Hillen to Hershey for reconditioning.

Erskine with Carrick on the third pair.

MoJo ain't here yet.

Erat on 1LW.

Ovechkin back with no medal.

Backstrom back with no medal although incoming?

Guess where Brouwer is.

Guess where Laich is.

Old
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
reCAPS (haha)

Hillen to Hershey for reconditioning.

Erskine with Carrick on the third pair.

MoJo ain't here yet.

Erat on 1LW.

Ovechkin back with no medal.

Backstrom back with no medal although incoming?

Guess where Brouwer is.

Guess where Laich is.
There's a rumor going around that once MOJO received his silver medal he started to skate off the ice but as he approached the boards he lost possession of his medal and he still has not been able to retrieve it.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Im not sure how alone on this I am but to me the team isnt nearly as far away as some think. There are many things to like about the roster and in the system. I am of the opinion that new eyes are needed and some re-tooling is in order....but certainly not a blow up and start over

Ive said since the TB sweep that im fine with a full-on house cleaning....and I still am of course. GMGM is not stupid, like some seem to think.....its just time for him to go. The biggest mistakes have been hiring rookie coach after rookie coach. In at least one case (BB) it made sense but going back to Butch....what kind of success are they looking for with rookie coaches?

I dont care if a new GM is a first time GM (as long as he seems qualified and one of the usual suspects that you hear is ready to take the big office).....id be more worried about yet another rookie head coach

Closed Thread