HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pardy and Ellerby

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2013, 03:50 AM
  #1
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Pardy and Ellerby

Since coming in, they both did a very nice job taking the third pairing role. They play simple and clean. IMO, they are the best third pairing of the season for us up until now.

Have we seen a brain-fart from them, yet? I don't think so.

I'd like to talk about them a little. What are your opinions about them? Am I just imagining this because it's easy to look good after what Stuart and Postma showed at the beginning of the season?


Garret may have some stats we could look at and react astonished

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:41 AM
  #2
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,772
vCash: 2252
I've actually liked Pardy more than Stuart. Neither are defensive stalwarts, but while Stuart brings heart and grit I prefer Pardy who isn't quite the same offensive black hole that Stuart is. It's not like Pardy is lighting the world on fire, but he seems to understand how to pinch and keep a forecheck going. Often when the play rotates to Stuart it immediately dies as he either gives it away or shoots it straight at an opposing player.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:51 AM
  #3
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,707
vCash: 511
I agree Pardy and Ellerby are a step up as our 3rd pairing from Stuart and Postma. I think long term Ellerby can settle in and be a very solid 3rd pairing guy for this team.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:59 AM
  #4
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,753
vCash: 500
Jets record with Ellerby in the lineup is 4-1.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:18 AM
  #5
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 50
I've never felt scared when Ellerby and Pardy was on the ice. Postma and Stuart? Yes.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:28 AM
  #6
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!
 
maximus tacitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Home Plate Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I've never felt scared when Ellerby and Pardy was on the ice. Postma and Stuart? Yes.
I was a little scared vs the Sharks when Pardy decided to go into full-on Orr mode

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:33 AM
  #7
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!
 
Crosby87Bennett19fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Locust Grove,VA
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
I have yet to see a game and im baised about ellerby anyway but from what ive heard from other people theyre a pretty safe pair.

Crosby87Bennett19fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:37 AM
  #8
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
I was a little scared vs the Sharks when Pardy decided to go into full-on Orr mode
I laughed when that happened. Yes, he might be feeling a little confident about his game right now, but it wasn't as if he left the entire left dot uncovered. The team is used to dealing with Buff and other D pair going deep into the Ozone. XD

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:45 AM
  #9
BZed
Eternal Optimist
 
BZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 339
vCash: 551
It was a bit of a WTF?? moment for me too but nice to see he had the confidence to do that and as you say our team is used to dealing with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I laughed when that happened. Yes, he might be feeling a little confident about his game right now, but it wasn't as if he left the entire left dot uncovered. The team is used to dealing with Buff and other D pair going deep into the Ozone. XD

BZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:47 AM
  #10
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
I was a little scared vs the Sharks when Pardy decided to go into full-on Orr mode
Was that the play at the blue line? That little back and forth between Ellerby and Pardy had me a bit worried.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:49 AM
  #11
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Was that the play at the blue line? That little back and forth between Ellerby and Pardy had me a bit worried.
I think he's talking about the one where Pardy walked up past a couple of Sharks players and tried to feed someone behind the net or tuck it in behind Neimi.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:51 AM
  #12
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!
 
Crosby87Bennett19fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Locust Grove,VA
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I think he's talking about the one where Pardy walked up past a couple of Sharks players and tried to feed someone behind the net or tuck it in behind Neimi.
thats a pretty ballsy move against SJ imo. He should probably leave that kind of stuff to the forwards tho....

Crosby87Bennett19fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:53 AM
  #13
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I think he's talking about the one where Pardy walked up past a couple of Sharks players and tried to feed someone behind the net or tuck it in behind Neimi.
Ah yes: well, that's two that had me a bit worried. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with their play - fairly low "OMIGOD" factor so far.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:02 AM
  #14
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,753
vCash: 500
The play of E + P has made it easier not to rush Trouba back.

BTW do you think Pardy will bring his helmut to the skills competition? Would love to get a picture with his lid on me.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:04 AM
  #15
No Czeck Pucks
Registered User
 
No Czeck Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
They appear to be "defence"men. The first "defensive" pairing I've seen since the Jets came to town. What a concept.

No Czeck Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:05 AM
  #16
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
The play of E + P has made it easier not to rush Trouba back.

BTW do you think Pardy will bring his helmut to the skills competition? Would love to get a picture with his lid on me.


Maybe they should collect for charity - donate, and get a pic with Pardy's helmet. Turn it into something positive.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:07 AM
  #17
meedle
Registered User
 
meedle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
I also think they have been very solid. Its going to be interesting whats going to happen when stuart is ready or when trouba is back. I'd assume Redmond goes back down and they just keep 8d up.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:19 AM
  #18
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,105
vCash: 500
Having two players who are not Stuart on the 3rd pairing makes the 3rd pairing better?

No big shock there.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:41 AM
  #19
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Having two players who are not Stuart on the 3rd pairing makes the 3rd pairing better?

No big shock there.


Small sample for Pardy and even smaller for Ellerby, but they're current around +10% FF% over Stuart (57% vs. 47%). If they can continue that, I'm happy with their contribution on the 3rd pairing as it's positive in comparison to Stuart.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:42 AM
  #20
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Having two players who are not Stuart on the 3rd pairing makes the 3rd pairing better?

No big shock there.
Lol. I think it's true.

I'd take Ellerbe-Trouba or Pardy-Trouba over Stuart when the time comes. Stu is all heart but he should be like our 9th D if you include Redmond.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:55 AM
  #21
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Lol. I think it's true.

I'd take Ellerbe-Trouba or Pardy-Trouba over Stuart when the time comes. Stu is all heart but he should be like our 9th D if you include Redmond.
I think Trouba should replace Clitsome. I actually thought he made a case for being one of our best D in that short period. He should be top 4 imo.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:07 AM
  #22
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
I think Trouba should replace Clitsome. I actually thought he made a case for being one of our best D in that short period. He should be top 4 imo.
Trouba shows a gargantuan amount of promise for a young blueliner and I really like his game, but by almost all most metrics, Clitsome is currently outperforming him. Not surprising: Clitsome has a ton more experience at this level, and has mostly rid himself of his Clitnone moments.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  #23
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Just a comment on Pardy. I lived in Calgary when he was with the Flames, and he played like a serviceable d-man during that time. Seemed like a good team guy, big, had a little edge, one of those guys not too noticeable (can be a really good thing).

When the Jets grabbed him, I really didn't comment, as I had not seen much of him in the last few years. Although I would not consider him a defensive stalwart, in my opinion he is far from what some of the posters described him to be. I saw "absolute pylon", "barely AHL caliber", "bag of pucks is better"...and on and on. My eyes judge that he is certainly NHL capable.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
  #24
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Just a comment on Pardy. I lived in Calgary when he was with the Flames, and he played like a serviceable d-man during that time. Seemed like a good team guy, big, had a little edge, one of those guys not too noticeable (can be a really good thing).

When the Jets grabbed him, I really didn't comment, as I had not seen much of him in the last few years. Although I would not consider him a defensive stalwart, in my opinion he is far from what some of the posters described him to be. I saw "absolute pylon", "barely AHL caliber", "bag of pucks is better"...and on and on. My eyes judge that he is certainly NHL capable.
So... Do you like him or hate him? Are those comments from the Flames board in the past?

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
  #25
civic204
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
So when Trouba and Stu are healthy, who gets put on Waivers? Redmond for sure.

If we send Pardy down, he must clear, right?

civic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.