HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How is Chris Higgins doing so far ?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 04:45 PM
GOB

vCash: 500
How is Chris Higgins doing so far ?

I'm relatively new to the board and woud like to know how Chris Higgins has been doing so far in the preseason games. Does he look like he will make the team ?? Thanks in advance.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Habs4ever

Higgins won't make team!!!

as we already have our top twele forwards set, and hamilton will need more help after they split off from edmenton so its not too bad for him condsidering he'll get top ice time there and may be progress more there then sticking to big club.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Habber

Hard to get a good read as he hasn't been getting a lot of icetime and hasn't had quality linemates. I would have liked to see him centre one of the top two lines for a game or two.

Looks like he is pegged for Hamilton and it wouldn't surprise me if he is sent down on Wed, although they might keep him around till Kilger or Koivu comes back.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB
I'm relatively new to the board and woud like to know how Chris Higgins has been doing so far in the preseason games. Does he look like he will make the team ?? Thanks in advance.
Higgins has been playing well so far, being a bit conservative since he's just starting his pro career but he impressed me in the sense that he seems more mature than a 20yo kid coming from College and his game seems pretty complete.

What can make him stand out occasionally is his great and relentless work on the ice for every single shift. He'll probably spend some time adapting to the faster pace in Hamilton while it's not excluded he could get an early call up like Komo did last year if he plays well. His future looks bright.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Corey

All he was able to demonstrate so far is his defensive ability, including penalty killing. As has already been pointed out, he was not given ice time on the top two lines. In fact, he spent most of his shifts with players who surely won't get ice time with the Habs this season, such as Blouin and Ferland. He was also assigned Dwyer, who has even less scoring potential than those two.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Hab-a-maniac

New here, from habsworld and ESPN as well, the Hab-a-maniac. Anyway, I think we'll see this as a starting lineup (well, when Koivu, Gratton and Kilger come back, it'lll be veeerry confusing what to do with Yanic because that 2nd line is smokin')
Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa (it's a good offensive mix)
Ryder-Perreault-Audette (bad for defense)
Sundstrom-Bulis-Ward (grinding, defensive line that can shut 'em down)
Dwyer/Higgins (if needed due to injury, etc.)-Juneau-Dackell/Dwyer (to put higgins on LW in case)

Markov-Rivet (very good pairing)
Souray-Komisarek (rough duo, huh?)
Quintal-Brisebois (well, Q offsets Breezy's softness, but a good vet duo)
7th man possibilities: Hainsey, Dykhuis, Beauchemin, Traverse (4th option!)

Then, when they get back!
Ryder/Bulis-Koivu-Perreault/Audette (it's the only real place to put him where he gets the right ice time without setting up a bad defensive line)
Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa
Sundstrom-Bulis/Juneau-Ward
Dwyer/Higgins-Juneau/Gratton-Kilger/Dackell (when the sit. calls for one of them)
Dagenais will have to tear up the AHL to get a shot cause his pre-season has been crud.
Defense stays the same
All optional stuff I know, but a good lineup to settle on but there is 1 or 2 too many forwards.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
New here, from habsworld and ESPN as well, the Hab-a-maniac. Anyway, I think we'll see this as a starting lineup (well, when Koivu, Gratton and Kilger come back, it'lll be veeerry confusing what to do with Yanic because that 2nd line is smokin')
Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa (it's a good offensive mix)
Ryder-Perreault-Audette (bad for defense)
Sundstrom-Bulis-Ward (grinding, defensive line that can shut 'em down)
Dwyer/Higgins (if needed due to injury, etc.)-Juneau-Dackell/Dwyer (to put higgins on LW in case)

Markov-Rivet (very good pairing)
Souray-Komisarek (rough duo, huh?)
Quintal-Brisebois (well, Q offsets Breezy's softness, but a good vet duo)
7th man possibilities: Hainsey, Dykhuis, Beauchemin, Traverse (4th option!)

Then, when they get back!
Ryder/Bulis-Koivu-Perreault/Audette (it's the only real place to put him where he gets the right ice time without setting up a bad defensive line)
Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa
Sundstrom-Bulis/Juneau-Ward
Dwyer/Higgins-Juneau/Gratton-Kilger/Dackell (when the sit. calls for one of them)
Dagenais will have to tear up the AHL to get a shot cause his pre-season has been crud.
Defense stays the same
All optional stuff I know, but a good lineup to settle on but there is 1 or 2 too many forwards.
Welcome to the board!

And by the way, you forgot Michael Ryder, unless you believe we might lose him on waivers

Edit: sorry, checked. And you've got Ryder on the seond line LW.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:56 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Well, he's on the 2nd line on the pre-Koivu/Kilger return proposal. But if those two were back he'd be on the 1st line with Saku. I just think having Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa as the 1st line in the meantime is better because it's been hot and can give Ribeiro the shot he's wanted while saku is on the way back. Then when Saku is back to playing abilities (a little 4th line to get his feet wet, then some 2nd line centre until he's ready to assume the no. 1 role again barring any more injuries or an aggravation of the old one), Ryder can get a top line chance. But he'll only play that or the 2nd or he's in Hamilton. Maybe Ward can adapt to 3rd line duties this time. I consider a 3rd line of Sundstrom Bulis and Ward to be just as offensive as defensive and that's good!
He'll be alright though, Ryder that is. He's 23 so it's not like he's too young or not ready like Perezhogin or Plekanec.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:31 AM
Medicine Twin

I'm sorry but I don't see Ryder as a top line player. Especially considering he's never played a game in the NHL and there are more talented players like Bulis and Hossa who have. Without Koivu/Kilger...

Zednik - Ribeiro - Audette (CJ's not gonna do it though)
Bulis - Perreault - Sundstrom
Hossa - Juneau - Ward
Ryder - Higgins - Dackell

Dwyer

With Koivu/Kilger

Bulis - Koivu - Audette
Hossa - Ribeiro - Zednik
Sundstrom - Perreault - Ward
Kilger - Juneau - Ryder

Dackell, Dwyer

Old
09-29-2003, 01:57 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
Well, he's on the 2nd line on the pre-Koivu/Kilger return proposal. But if those two were back he'd be on the 1st line with Saku. I just think having Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa as the 1st line in the meantime is better because it's been hot and can give Ribeiro the shot he's wanted while saku is on the way back. Then when Saku is back to playing abilities (a little 4th line to get his feet wet, then some 2nd line centre until he's ready to assume the no. 1 role again barring any more injuries or an aggravation of the old one), Ryder can get a top line chance. But he'll only play that or the 2nd or he's in Hamilton. Maybe Ward can adapt to 3rd line duties this time. I consider a 3rd line of Sundstrom Bulis and Ward to be just as offensive as defensive and that's good!
He'll be alright though, Ryder that is. He's 23 so it's not like he's too young or not ready like Perezhogin or Plekanec.
First off let me join Brisebois and welcome you to the board.

I would have to disagree with you about Ryder. Right now, I beleive he has earned a spot with the big club by the way he played during camp, but when the season starts, Julien's not going to throw him on the 1st 2 lines right away IMO. He'll play on the bottm lines until he shows the confidence and scoring touch are high enough to play in an offensive role.

I also don't understand why you said it's one of the 2 1st lines or Hamilton for him. First of all, Ryder has to be exposed on waivers if we want to send him back to Hamilton. There's no way management takes that chance. Secondly, Ryder is actually a very good checker. He has enough grit and defensive awareness toped with strong play along the boards and sound positioning to play a very valuable role on the bottom 2 lines. I beleive that's where he'll start until he earns more ice time.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Corey

How did this thread become a discussion of Ryder rather than Higgins?

Closed Thread