HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

MD: Developmental Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2005, 03:28 AM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
I'd also like to note that Winger98 has quietly put up some new work, one of which is human, which looks really interesting. Its pretty shocking how fast people grasped onto the television concept.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:48 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
If we get a full summary per episode I A) will be forced to declare you insane B) am going to have a lot of stuff to go through.
nah, not ever episode. It is just setting it up and explaining the characters and the setting for the first episode is necessary.

some of you guys are really good at setting these things up so that it is clear to people reading it. I tend to get a little wordy.

Old
07-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Has-Been needs a new title, and seems a bit cliche itn its plot, however I find it pretty promising. Looking over the cast at first I was a tad surprised but as I dug deeper into the plot my doubts grew less. I'm not sold on Estevez here, mostly becuase I've only seen his work in Mighty Ducks 1, which is something which nags me. For myself, I think I'll be stuck on a rental for this one (I never really get to the theatre for sports movies), but one thing which I would strongly suggest, that would make the movie both a more solid pick in my opinion, and might draw some theatre showings, would be to add a thicker more serious sub-plot involving his family. HAving his daughter arrested might do the trick, but I'm still not sure on that.

Also the ending doesn't completely sell me just because it lets you down a bit, though I do like it more then a simple "he wins" finale. I think perhaps having him get injured for Game Seven and forcing the team to start Jackson's character might be abit more original and would add some more drama to the movie, and also allows you to have him win without feeling like its too cliched. Other notes would be to find a replacement for Hillary Duff because I don't think she's near ready for this sort of a film, and provide a better explanation for why he's able to return to form so easily. I.e. he's cut do to injury problems and spends months in therapy to work out the kinks.

I know I went on a bit of a rant there, and it may sound like I don't like the film, but unlike some of your work last season, I really do feel that there's a solid foundation to work off of for this one, it just needs some tweaks to the plot, and in the case of Duff, cast for it to turn into a great movie, rather than a good one.
I truly considered alot of those things, and many may change. The ending, well, I didn't want it to be the predicatable "he wins" ending, and I don't like this one alot as well, but I am truly afraid of putting in an ending no one sees coming, and it ruining the enitre movie. You may say it can't happen, but when I saw a decent movie in "Bringing Down the House(some may not like it, but I thought it wasn't bad), and with it's ending, it made the movie significantly worse. I didn't originally intend to post the ending, and I still have no idea what I'll use.

As for Duff, I originally intended to have a family member, like Cindy Walker's grandfather, or something, die, but I didn't want to turn the hero into a guy who doesn't care for family. I'm thinking his daughter getting arrested may be along those lines, as it involves the authorities, but something like getting caught with drugs may be implemented.

As for the casting of Duff, it's mainly because she's my youngest cast member, and I believe that she may be able to play and sell the "bad girl" role. I see this mainly because a girl I know who is almost an exact replica of Hillary Duff in every way, shape and form is one of those girls, but I guess that could be a bad gamble. It's not a huge role as it is, so I may keep her in there, but it of course could change.

Estevez, well, I see him as a likeable guy who people can see as their hero, and he has that kind of charisma IMO to make it all work. And as for why his character resurges so quickly, I should probably include that the atmosphere in New York wasn't great, and that his bad play was caused not by physical handicaps, like lack of strength, but mental handicaps, like being in a bad environment and having tons of pressure put on you. LA might not be the best place to get out of the spotlight, but the Yankees are one team where pressure is most. Team chemistry is also something that increased greatly in La, especially with a great relationship with his new catcher.

Old
07-08-2005, 09:35 PM
GoM

Thoughts :

Batman : Return of the Knight

To be honest, change the title...sounds too StarWars-ey/cliche, trying to sound noble and striking, yet it doesn't, to me. I don't like the idea of having Gordon seeing revenge on Joker, and Batman calming him down, as you said it seems too cliche.

Human

I like the title, and the whole Bourne Identity/Manchurian Candidate approach to it...however, who are 'The Fallen?' Maybe it comes out in the episodes, but I feel you have to explain that better.

Sick City 2

Don't know/remember the first one, so it doesn't make sense to me. Not a bad thing, just something I don't get

Exposure

You're good with titles, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for her father to photograph her naked and doing stuff..maybe that's part of the movie. Any reason why she's a junkie and shoplifts, if she makes lots of money? Or is that part of her unbalanced persona?

SoShopSafe

One of my favourites so far....already posted my thoughts.

Conspiracy

Don't like the 'copying' of one-episode-is-an-hour, I feel it's too limiting. You've adjusted the story to fit in a one-day timeframe, but I feel it could either be a very strong miniseries, or a strong movie, or heck even a strong series. I never saw any of the episodes of 24, and I haven't read any of Brown's novels, so I don't know how well the format works, but to me it seems limiting, though you seem to have done a decent job fitting it in. Just don't want it to seem rushed. Another idea could be to focus on a different main character each season, maybe including the same basic company and villians, in an attempt to showcase their global reach, and not have the same character all the time (maybe also freeing him up for other roles).

The Eternal Warrior

could be either really good, or really bad, to be honest...see if you can add more plot and background to the basic description, and maybe not summarize each episode

Archie

Haven't read any of the comics or anything, so I can't really comment.

Has-Been

Sports movies generally aren't my thing, especially because they almost always feature someone switching teams, and then winning...I like the fact that they lose here, and that he snubs the Yankees at the end...it could work, and I like the home-front twist. It might be worth it to play that up more, and have it maybe affect his concentration.

Old
07-09-2005, 07:50 AM
discostu

Republic

You've put a lot of work into the background world here. I'll be honest, epic-style mini-series are usually not my thing. In fact, I can't remember ever watching a whole one. A good example was my lack of interest in the recent Roman style mini-series Empire, even though I'm usually a fan of anything from the Greek and Roman era.

Still, the level of detail that you've put in the background makes it intriguing for me. The biggest problem for me is that there is no real details on the main characters personalities and styles. I think if I was going to watch something like this, it would be because there are a couple of very unique and relatable characters. Even though it's a very different world, it's possible to have characters that the average viewer can relate to. That is the hook that is needed to get me onto a series.

That's just some of my initial thoughts. Even if I didn't watch it, I think the effort put into the story is extremely impressive. I would have provided comments earlier, but it is a lot of information to go through.

Last edited by discostu: 07-09-2005 at 09:27 AM. Reason: I kinda left the second paragraph hanging there, didn't I.
Old
07-09-2005, 08:10 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM

Conspiracy

Don't like the 'copying' of one-episode-is-an-hour, I feel it's too limiting. You've adjusted the story to fit in a one-day timeframe, but I feel it could either be a very strong miniseries, or a strong movie, or heck even a strong series. I never saw any of the episodes of 24, and I haven't read any of Brown's novels, so I don't know how well the format works, but to me it seems limiting, though you seem to have done a decent job fitting it in. Just don't want it to seem rushed. Another idea could be to focus on a different main character each season, maybe including the same basic company and villians, in an attempt to showcase their global reach, and not have the same character all the time (maybe also freeing him up for other roles).
I appreciate the feedback.

My worry was pitching this idea to people that don't watch 24, and haven't read the Da Vinci Code. Before I saw 24, I thought the concept of real-time television series was a just a gimmicky idea that would be hard to execute. However, once I got into it, you realize that it adds a huge level of excitement to the show, because the writers do an excellent job of building the story.

As for Dan Brown, I've now read all of his books. All of them seem to fit into a a rough 24 hour timeline, and with multiple character arcs going at one time, there was always something happening. Dan Brown seems to thrive on the "rushed" storyline telling method. Things move at a quick pace, preventing the characters to step back and evaluate the information they have, making the emphasis on intellectual characters (Dan Brown protagonists have focused on cryptologists, codebreakers and NASA researchers), who's ability to analyze information quickly becomes a valuable characteristic.

Still, I appreciate the feedback. BTW, I'm trying to get around to review some of the other projects I've yet to get to.

Old
07-09-2005, 09:21 AM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Republic

You've put a lot of work into the background world here. I'll be honest, epic-style mini-series are usually not my thing. In fact, I can't remember ever watching a whole one. A good example was my lack of interest in the recent Roman style mini-series Empire, even though I'm usually a fan of anything from the Greek and Roman era.

Still, the level of detail that you've put in the background makes it intriguing for me. The biggest problem for me is that there is no real details on the main characters personalities and styles. I think if I was going to watch something like this, it would be because there are a couple of very unique and relatable characters. Even though it's a very different world, it's possible to have character.

That's just some of my initial thoughts. Even if I didn't watch it, I think the effort put into the story is extremely impressive. I would have provided comments earlier, but it is a lot of information to go through.
Thanks for the feedback...I did most of that between 2 and 4 in the morning, and the ideas for the world itself kept flowing, so I don't think I really had enough focus on the actual story....I've been refining most of this in my head over the past 2 days, and I know most of how it works in my head, it's just a matter of condensing it all into a paragraph or two during the release

Old
07-09-2005, 10:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Just so everyone knows I'm not being inacitve, I just happened to have an insane case of writer's block. I probably spend more time in work trying to think of what to put together than concentrating on my work...

Old
07-10-2005, 09:23 AM
discostu

Human - Looks interesting. It's tough to know how much I'd watch it as a series. It sounds very interesting, but it's probably a hard concept to grasp, and it would take a few episodes to watch, to get a sense of what it's about. It looks like you've crewed it with the X-files gang, which will be a big hook for people. I never got into that show, but, it may have been more that it wasn't a convenient time for me. This would probably be the same. It probably wouldn't be a series I would go out of my way to watch, but, if I got caught up into it, I could be a religous follower of it.

Sick City 2 - I liked the first one that you did, and this one follows that lead very well.

Exposure - It's interesting, but this is very dark. I can see myself leaning towards a rental on this one. It's a strong concept, and the cast and crew all look capable, but there isn't any "must-see" draw in it for me.

It looks like we'll see another strong season out of you Winger98. Good job.

The Eternal Warrior - I don't think I've ever really got into a real sci-fi action series, so this is going to be a tough sell. It's got a strong cast, particularly Jackman. He alone in a TV series would probably get me to check it out once.

The set-up is interesting. It'll be interesting to see what the major plot line is that you're planning. It looks like a well built project, but the challenge to get my vote will be if it is strong enough for me to be brought into a new genre.

Has-Been - I'm not a baseball fan, but there are a few baseball movies out there that I enjoy, so this has got a shot.

I think it's an interesting story. You've avoided the Hollywood ending, which automatically puts it apart from so many other movies. The big question I have is the casting. Having a guys like Bernie Mac, Will Smith and Adam Sandler really will undermine some of the dramatic elements. Emilio Estevez is also an interesting choice for the lead. I think he may have the ability in him, but with the supporting cast he has around him in this one, too many scenes will fall into comedy very quickly. I think, what this film needs, is one or two really good dramatic actors to help give it a more serious feel. Looking over your studio though, I can see the difficulties you'd have in doing that, as you're built more for comedy vehicles.

I just put up a bunch of projects on the first page.

Last edited by discostu: 07-10-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old
07-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:

Has-Been - I'm not a baseball fan, but there are a few baseball movies out there that I enjoy, so this has got a shot.

I think it's an interesting story. You've avoided the Hollywood ending, which automatically puts it apart from so many other movies. The big question I have is the casting. Having a guys like Bernie Mac, Will Smith and Adam Sandler really will undermine some of the dramatic elements. Emilio Estevez is also an interesting choice for the lead. I think he may have the ability in him, but with the supporting cast he has around him in this one, too many scenes will fall into comedy very quickly. I think, what this film needs, is one or two really good dramatic actors to help give it a more serious feel. Looking over your studio though, I can see the difficulties you'd have in doing that, as you're built more for comedy vehicles.

I just put up a bunch of projects on the first page.
I agree with the other two, especially Bernie Mac, as he's there for comedic relief, but Sandler can act in a dramatic sense. Smith can too, and hasn't really been comedic for a long time.

Old
07-10-2005, 06:49 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I agree with the other two, especially Bernie Mac, as he's there for comedic relief, but Sandler can act in a dramatic sense. Smith can too, and hasn't really been comedic for a long time.
Sandler's only real dramatic forray (that I've seen him in) has been Punch-Drunk Love, which was an okay effort for him, but it required a strong, strong dramatic director keeping him in check. If you have him in scenes with other comedic actors, he's going to fall to his usual tricks. To be fair, I haven't seen Spanglish, so I'm not sure how he performed in that one.

Smith is versatile, but again, his natural personality shines through in nearly all of his roles, which is that of the charismatic joker. In most of his recent films, he may be in drama or action vehicles, but he's relying on his comedic timing more than anything else. Ali was his only real, pure dramatic role, and again, it took a great degree of focus to make it that way.

I don't think you need to necessarily replace these actors, but giving them someone to compliment them, that you know is going to keep a dramatic tone in the scene, may be a big help. An actor that keeps popping up in my head that may be a good fit is Phillip Baker Hall, maybe as an assistant coach or something. I don't even know if he's available or not, but for some reason, I see him as a good fit in a movie like this. Take my advice with a grain of salt though.

Last edited by discostu: 07-10-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old
07-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Also, I've updated my projects, with "In The Prime Of Our Lives". Only two projects left for me.

Old
07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
GoM

Mr. Abuse = Sounds like a light-hearted comedy with the good guy coming through in the end, etc....nothing wholly special (beyond seeing Steve Buscemi getting beat up...that nearly makes me want to see this in theatres every day of the week), but not wholly unbad either.

The Incumbent = The West Wing's a favourite of mine, obviously including Sorkin, and I see what you mean about the subtle humour, so the movie should have decent writing, it just doesn't appeal to me so much. Nothing to do with the setup or cast or whatnot, just that the story doesn't grab me and make me want to see it..dunno how anyone else feels. I do vaguely remember the news story from last year though.

In The Prime of Our Lives = I'd like to hear how it ends..not the strongest movie idea ever in my mind, but not the worst either. Could use a bit more development in some way, emphasizing the comedy part more.

Old
07-12-2005, 11:28 AM
GoM

Updated with Clash of Kings, sequel to Game of Thrones...I'll have 2-3 more projects up this week, which should do it for this season for me.

Old
07-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
In The Prime of Our Lives = I'd like to hear how it ends..not the strongest movie idea ever in my mind, but not the worst either. Could use a bit more development in some way, emphasizing the comedy part more.
I gotta work on it a fair bit more. I had a totally different idea, with more drama(much more), and then I realized that had no plot, and decided to create one.

That's something different I'm doing from last season. Last season, I'd just keep projects out there, even if I couldn't think of anything to develop them right. I didn't throw out one idea, and made 4 really bad movies. This season, I've thrown out about 4 ideas in my head, and untill I came up with the plot, I would've thrown out that one. Hopefully the change reaps rewards.

Old
07-13-2005, 01:02 AM
GoM

Updated two projects and took out the Republic outline, to be condensed later...now c'mon folks, let's get more people replying than me, Discostu and Hercules, and get some critiques going

Old
07-22-2005, 12:51 AM
GoM

Put up my fifth project...come on folks, let's get some crits, of everyone's stuff, we got the time

Old
07-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Verbal Kint*

Just browsed over the most recent work and of them all, thoguh I see some great ones Gulch loooks possibly the best. I started reading, and was thinking that it might be dissapointing, until I realised which studio made it and suddenly it clickd who was directing. Pitch perfect for Tarantino.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I have my first project up.

Old
08-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Verbal Kint*

Okay, just got back from the trip and I'm kind of wiped and I probably won't be able to get some projects out there until season two. Specificly Padded Walls (which'll likely be scrapped). I'm also taking down Happy Thoughts and delaying its release until Season 4 (which looks like its a sure thing) just because I'm too damn high on Charlie, to not let HBW follow up with the Glass Elevator by stealing Highmore.

Also to note: Batman Begins has a few script changes to go through, the biggest being Sophie Marceau getting the role of Barbara Gordon and making her wife instead of child, as a second viewing of the movie would indicate. I'm also considering bringing in Selina Kyle but might just go love interest-less if other posters support the idea or if I can;t find a good actress to play her.

Old
08-05-2005, 09:10 AM
discostu

Just put up a next project, the Harvester (a Fincher movie, starring Russell Crowe).

Old
08-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Just put up a next project, the Harvester (a Fincher movie, starring Russell Crowe).
I really like it, though the whole plot twist involving the detective's kid is certainly a bit, well, I guess cheap coming from you. I'll see it in theatres most likely but the whole coincidence thing seems a bit beyond suspension of disbelief.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

sorry I have not been around much, been very busy..and well, it is hockey armegeddon out there.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:27 PM
discostu

Quote:
I really like it, though the whole plot twist involving the detective's kid is certainly a bit, well, I guess cheap coming from you. I'll see it in theatres most likely but the whole coincidence thing seems a bit beyond suspension of disbelief.
Maybe because I'm not that good of a writer. That's why I keep good writers like Walker on staff. Any poorly written plotlines I construct, I can point to them, and say, they'll make it work.

Old
08-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
My first two projects are officially announced. One made just because I had to(looking back on it...a MST3k project was stupid in this thing...but it's so cheap to make even if I fail miserably who cares?) and another one that I've been working on for a while. 40 Whacks... isn't finished yet, but I think I have casting right where I want it.

40 Whacks With A Wet Noodle

Based On
Real Events

Director
Roman Polanski

Writer
Brian Helgeland

Cast
Winona Ryder…Lizzie Borden
James Caan…George Robinson
Johnny Depp…William Moody
Jeremy Irons…Hosea Knowlton
Kiefer Sutherland…Andrew Jennings
Mark Ruffalo…John Morse
Dennis Hopper…Andrew Borden
Annette Bening…Abby Borden
Helena Bonham Carter…Emma Borden
Rosamund Pike…Bridget Sullivan
Rene Russo…Adelaide Churchill
Linda Fiorentino…Alice Russell
Donald Sutherland…Dr. Seabury Bowen

Music
James Horner

Budget
TBA

Genres
Drama, Mystery

Length
134 minutes

Rating
PG-13

Synopsis
Work In Progress

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Second Movie!

Based On
Mystery Science Theater 3000 TV show & Plan 9 From Outer Space movie

Director
Jim Mallon

Writer
Joel Hodgson

Cast
Joel Hodgson…Joel Robinson
Trace Beaulieu…Crow T. Robot/Dr. Clayton Forrester
Kevin Murphy…Tom Servo
Jim Mallon…Gypsy

Music
Joel Hodgson

Budget
$1 million

Genres
Comedy, Sci-Fi

Length
90 minutes

Rating
PG

Synopsis
A marriage of two things that were meant for each other from the beginning, but, for some reason, never realized. ‘Plan 9 From Outer Space,’ Ed Wood’s magnum opus, often considered the worst movie of all time was never given the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment. Until now. The “original” MST3k cast returns to give ‘Plan 9 From Outer Space’ the treatment it so rightly deserves.
There really isn’t much to be said about this besides it’s a glorified MST3k episode, just like the first movie with a movie that was so obvious to make fun of that it never was made fun of. Limited release.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Closed Thread