HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to Carolina

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 02:02 AM
aemoreira1981

vCash: 500
Marc Staal to Carolina

Of course, both teams are in the Metropolitan Division now. Presuming that Marc Staal is healthy and suffers no setbacks from his eye injuries this season, and given that many presume that he will want to join his brothers in Carolina, the Rangers would probably want value back for him. What would it take for the Canes to get Staal prior to 2015?

Given that Jordan Staal fetched a first, might the Hurricanes have to part with a 1st to get Staal, who almost certainly signs an extension to finish his career with his brothers? I do realize that the best time for this deal is probably the 2014 NHL draft, and players are likely going to the Rangers.

Make your best offer.

Old
09-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Dactyl
💙NASH💙

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Staal, who almost certainly signs an extension to finish his career with his brothers?
what?

Old
09-01-2013, 02:10 AM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Maybe start with Faulk or Murphy headed the other way? Idk if Ny would be looking for immediate help or futures though.

Value wise something like Faulk+2nd/B prospect or Murphy+1st?

Old
09-01-2013, 02:15 AM
mrhockey193195

I think Staal's value to the Rangers far exceeds what most other teams would value him in a trade...as in, Carolina fans won't be happy by what Ranger fans would want in return, and Ranger fans won't be happy with what Carolina fans offer.

Old
09-01-2013, 02:27 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Didn't you learn from the last 10 billion times Staal has been proposed to Carolina?

Old
09-01-2013, 02:34 AM
smoneil

I honestly don't get the obsession.

Two key facts here:

1- Marc Staal is NOT like Jordan. Jordan already had his ring. Marc will make a decision based on what will be the best situation for him to get what his brothers already have--a Stanley Cup.

2- The Staal brothers are not Voltron. They don't all have to unite in one place for the world to be at peace.

Old
09-01-2013, 02:34 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 783
Ruutu + 1st

Old
09-01-2013, 02:35 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I think Staal's value to the Rangers far exceeds what most other teams would value him in a trade...as in, Carolina fans won't be happy by what Ranger fans would want in return, and Ranger fans won't be happy with what Carolina fans offer.
Exactly this.

Want Staal? The Rangers want Faulk or Skinner.

Old
09-01-2013, 05:48 AM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

No. Absolutely not.

Good luck Lee Stempniak!
Old
09-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

M. Staal + Pyatt

for

Ruutu + Gleason + 1st

Old
09-01-2013, 07:16 AM
penguins2946*

The return for Marc will be very similar to what Jordan got. He would probably get a young top-4 D, a B level prospect and a 1st. So, assuming after next season, I think the return would be something like Murphy, Rask and a 1st. The Canes don't really have a young top-4 D other than Faulk, who won't be traded for Staal.

Rangers aren't going to get a piece like Skinner or Faulk for Staal. How often are players of that calibre are traded for each other? Almost never. In literally every deal with a big-name player, it was always quality for quantity. Nash, Gaborik, Ryan, Staal and Pomonville all got quantity instead of quality. You won't be getting an equally as good piece as Staal.

Old
09-01-2013, 08:00 AM
KevinChurch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Exactly this.

There is no way NY is getting Skinner
And I think it's a very good possibility that Staal would look to sign with Carolina

Old
09-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinChurch View Post
And I think it's a very good possibility that Staal would look to sign with Carolina
Theres no way the Rangers will get Faulk either the kids a stud

Old
09-01-2013, 08:51 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Justin Faulk plus a 2014 1st.

09-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Joe McGrath

Haven't Rangers and Canes fans agreed that this isn't happening? 100 times? Stop trying to make this happen.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Of course, both teams are in the Metropolitan Division now. Presuming that Marc Staal is healthy and suffers no setbacks from his eye injuries this season, and given that many presume that he will want to join his brothers in Carolina, the Rangers would probably want value back for him. What would it take for the Canes to get Staal prior to 2015?

Given that Jordan Staal fetched a first, might the Hurricanes have to part with a 1st to get Staal, who almost certainly signs an extension to finish his career with his brothers? I do realize that the best time for this deal is probably the 2014 NHL draft, and players are likely going to the Rangers.

Make your best offer.
Two major issues with your proposal.

1) If Marc Staal is fully healthy, his value is massive to the Rangers. He is easily their best D-Man, yes, even above McDonagh. I think Rangers fans and others around the league tend to forget just how good he is, since he hasn't had a full year in the past 2 seasons.

2) If you don't think a 1st would be coming back for the Rangers #1 D-Man, then you clearly have no understanding of his value. The only way a first doesn't come back is if a stud player like Skinner is involved.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post

Two key facts here:

1- Marc Staal is NOT like Jordan. Jordan already had his ring. Marc will make a decision based on what will be the best situation for him to get what his brothers already have--a Stanley Cup.

2- The Staal brothers are not Voltron. They don't all have to unite in one place for the world to be at peace.

Pretty good one.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:15 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:

Two key facts here:

legitimately lol'd

I shudder to think of what the trade board would be like if something like HF was around back when the Sutter's were in their primes.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Sensation

Quote:

Two key facts here:

You don't know that.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:02 AM
eco's bones

Very leery of Skinner's concussion history at such a young age. Not that interested in Ruuttu. I don't see this working without Faulk + coming back.

Staal IMO is more valuable than his brother Jordan. I think Marc is going to be fine by the way and truth be told he's not miles above Ryan McDonagh. Marc is slightly better defensively. McDonagh is younger, a better skater and has a better two way game.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
M. Staal + Pyatt

for

Ruutu + Gleason + 1st
Does nothing for us. It's straight up terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post

Rangers aren't going to get a piece like Skinner or Faulk for Staal.
Which is why Carolina will have to wait 2 more season's, and hope they can sign him as an UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinChurch View Post
I don't think NY is even interested in moving Staal for Skinner, so you're absolutely correct. NY is not getting Skinner.

Isn't it funny how practically every single Rangers fan isn't interested in a Staal/Skinner swap? Value wise, it's the fairest straight up proposal between the two teams, but value isn't the reason we would move Staal.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:41 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Exactly this.

Skinner makes the most sense. Sends a big caphit the other way, trades from a position of strength (E. Staal, J. Staal, Semin, Lindholm, etc) to fill a position of weakness on the blueline.

Also trades from a position of strength for NYR to fill a position of weakness (Rangers would definitely have to resign Girardi though).

The value of the two players is also pretty comparable. If Staal were healthy, id probably value him higher than Skinner actually.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Reading this thread, it's obvious that some Rangers' fans try to downplay the idea that Marc Staal would want to play with his brothers. When Jordan was in Pittsburgh, I would have agreed but now that three out of four are on one team, I think that it would be a huge mistake, almost delusional to think that it's not in the back of his mind. I'm almost convinced that by the time he's ready to become a UFA (at the latest), he'll wear a Hurricane's uniform.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

At this point, neither team should do anything.

From Carolina's perspective, they're going to want to see a full year from Marc to see how his eye injury will effect him (if at all).

And after that year, it's a real simple choice: Has Marc given any indication he wants to play with his brothers? If not, no reason to trade for him, since he could very well go back to New York once he hits FA, same as any other UFA. If so, it'll be a return similar to Jordan's when he had a year left.

From New York's perspective, they have no reason to move Staal unless he gives some indication that he won't resign there. Until that happens, they're perfectly happy to keep him.

Now lets see how long we can go without another Staal to Carolina thread.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:24 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Reading this thread, it's obvious that some Rangers' fans try to downplay the idea that Marc Staal would want to play with his brothers. When Jordan was in Pittsburgh, I would have agreed but now that three out of four are on one team, I think that it would be a huge mistake, almost delusional to think that it's not in the back of his mind. I'm almost convinced that by the time he's ready to become a UFA (at the latest), he'll wear a Hurricane's uniform.
Do you live where all your family lives? Have your uncles and aunts all moved to be with each other? Marc plays his best, most competitive games against Ovechkin and against his brothers. He loves the competition. Maybe he would like to play there, but pretending that he's a big baby and NEEDS to be next to his brothers just to be happy is ridiculous. He's been in this organization his entire career. He's one of the most popular players in the locker room. It's not a given that he's going to leave and, even if it were, he's signed on for two more years. Not going to move him just because a bunch of armchair GM's think it would be cute if he played with his brothers.

Closed Thread