HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2013, 08:47 AM
TennisMenace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
anyone watching walking dead season 4?

looks good so far. mixed drama with some cool zombie action. a lot better than the awful world war z.
I'm almost there. I have two more episodes of season 3 to finish and then onto 4. Governor v Rick. Should be fun.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:49 AM
TennisMenace

As for movies- just viewed Gravity on 3D IMAX. Pretty cool stuff. Outer space intrigues me so its easy to please me. Even though a wee bit unrealistic, it was still highly entertaining.

Old
10-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Andy

Agnostic, I took your advice and watched There Will Be Blood, wow. One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Old
10-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Agnostic, I took your advice and watched There Will Be Blood, wow. One of the best movies I have ever seen.
Yeah, I think if I had to re-do my best movie list from part 1 of the thread, I'd have to include this one. Great story, writing, acting, memorable scenes. Has it all.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:15 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Drainage, Andy!

Loved the scene where the oil rig thingy exploded. Just nuts.

" your son cool?"

"No not rly."

Old
10-27-2013, 11:34 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
anyone watching walking dead season 4?

looks good so far. mixed drama with some cool zombie action. a lot better than the awful world war z.
Yeah I'm in on the Walking Dead. Can't say I actually like the show but something keeps me watching. I guess it's just the horror allure. I really enjoyed the graphic novels and I think that's why I'm disappointed with the show. It could have been so much more violent and intense. The show has lacked an intensity since season 1.

World War Z was great.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yeah, I think if I had to re-do my best movie list from part 1 of the thread, I'd have to include this one. Great story, writing, acting, memorable scenes. Has it all.
Some of the visuals were really stunning. The score was really incredible, really matched the mood and tone of the story.

"I'm finished."

@overlords

That drainage speech was amazing!

Old
10-27-2013, 11:36 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Yeah I'm in on the Walking Dead. Can't say I actually like the show but something keeps me watching. I guess it's just the horror allure. I really enjoyed the graphic novels and I think that's why I'm disappointed with the show. It could have been so much more violent and intense. The show has lacked an intensity since season 1.

World War Z was great.
I compared most of season one to a camping trip. they're washing their clothes in the lake, la-dee-daa. The comics have way more tension, as you say, which is the entire point of the story. Love the books, can't stand the show. The guy who plays Rick bugs me, too.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Some of the visuals were really stunning. The score was really incredible, really matched the mood and tone of the story.

"I'm finished."

@overlords

That drainage speech was amazing!
If you liked There Will Be Blood then you'd probably like No Country for Old Men. They both came out around the same time and I saw them within a week of each other.

I needed therapy afterwards.

"What's the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?"

Old
10-27-2013, 11:44 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post

World War Z was great.
To be fair, reproducing the comics accurately would be a colossal task. TWD is a study on human nature, and the **** that happens in the paper novel is just way too... intense. I've gotten great enjoyment of reading the comments section after every issue and how readers were, for the most part, very disturbed (esp during the Governor vs. Machone part where the TV show failed miserably at). Yes the gore is awesome, but it's a means to an end. You're right in that they could have gotten right is the tension and the feeling of absolute helplessness and that's a matter of production, they failed to capture that and this is the ESSENCE of TWD. I was really depressed going through them, like I was in an other world.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:49 AM
JPGoHabsGo

Im really enjoying the walking dead, although I feel like some of you in that at times it really lacks the intensity that the world really has gone to ****. Part of the problem is the beginning of the second season was paced so horribly. However I find it still has its moments, their just far between. Such as when Rick Hershel and Glenn are in the bar with those other 2 survivors, but now its just getting a little slow. I feel like halfway through this season something will probably happen thats a bit more exciting.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:56 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post
Im really enjoying the walking dead, although I feel like some of you in that at times it really lacks the intensity that the world really has gone to ****. Part of the problem is the beginning of the second season was paced so horribly. However I find it still has its moments, their just far between. Such as when Rick Hershel and Glenn are in the bar with those other 2 survivors, but now its just getting a little slow. I feel like halfway through this season something will probably happen thats a bit more exciting.
Yes, something will happen, and something quite dramatic at that.

SPOILER:

In the comic this is the part where the Governor returns with an army and kills Hershel, Lori, his newborn child (Rick's) and almost everyone else. That's when Rick and Carl have to leave the prison grounds and meet up with a new community. Rick should be far more insane by this point, as all the prior events lay a heavy toll on his conscience. I think this is season's 4 ending.

And THAT IS WHERE THE PHANTOM PHONE CALL FROM LORI HAPPENS, not at the Prison. They bust into a random house, and the phone rings. This random woman tells him that they found a new settlement, but that they don't trust Rick and Carl. turns out in the woman he was talking to was Lori and he tries to reason with her about her death, completely losing it at this point. Then he checks the cord and the phone was never hooked up to begin with... the despair I got from reading that part was almost genuine.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:57 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Yes, something will happen, and something quite dramatic at that.

SPOILER:
You know what haunted me more than the michonne thing in the comics? The negan thing. You know the one. Scarred me for life

Old
10-27-2013, 12:02 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You know what haunted me more than the michonne thing in the comics? The negan thing. You know the one. Scarred me for life
He's introduced in issue #100 right? I stopped reading a couple of issues prior to that, now I'm curious.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:04 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
He's introduced in issue #100 right? I stopped reading a couple of issues prior to that, now I'm curious.
It's pretty ****ing intense. Governor on steroids.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:32 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
bypassing the filters?

and for whoever cares about radiohead which im pretty sure is everyone: johnny greenwood scored there will be blood which makes the movie even more awesome-er.

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 10-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old
10-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Andy

I got through one whole Arrow episode and 8 minutes of another before I couldn't take it any more. Crap dialogue, crap acting and cheesy as hell.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:26 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
House of Cards is fantastic. I've been spending my entire hangover Sunday watching it - episode 8 now.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
It's pretty ****ing intense. Governor on steroids.
I hope they'll do a better job with Negan than they did with the Governor in the TV show. If they manage to do him even just half as crazy as he his in the comics it'll be great.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:33 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Homeland anyone?

Old
10-28-2013, 03:04 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
House of Cards is fantastic. I've been spending my entire hangover Sunday watching it - episode 8 now.
pft house of cards is so last week. were doing zombies now

Old
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yep. I was reading HF in my living room, my girlfriend read your post and said ' that whiskey guy knows what he's talking about'.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
sventington

I am watching an old miniseries called I, Claudius right now. I keep looking up names and events, expecting some of the details from the show to have been made up, but it looks like a lot of it happened. John Hurt is also creepy as **** as Caligula. Brian Blessed plays Augustus, and his voice is as satisfying as ever!

Old
10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Homeland anyone?
big fan here... The writing on The Walking Dead has become pretty horrid and redundant so I consider homeland to be the best show out there.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Movies I have seen in the past few years that I was most wowed by:
[Hollywood]
Rush
Gravity
The Fighter
Star Trek
The Dark Knight
X-Men: First Class
The Runaways
The Hunger Games
The Social Network
Rise of the Planet of the Apes ?
[Non-Hollywood]
City of Life and Death (China)
Infernal Affairs (Hong Kong)
C.R.A.Z.Y. (Quebec)
La Haine (France)
Pan's Labyrinth (Spain)
I am trying to catch up on some classics I missed out on over the years. Last week was Zombie week. This week is Foreign films. Just got done watching The Man from Nowhere and it was great. C.R.A.Z.Y. and Pan's Labyrinth were also great. We seem to have similar tastes in movies based on your list so I'll be working through it as time permits.

Incendies (Quebec) was awesome and won best foreign film of 2010, Oldboy comes highly recommended and Battle Royale was undoubtedly the inspiration for The Hunger Games. Curious if you missed them or if you didn't enjoy them enough to make your list.

For more contemporary recommendations:

I really enjoyed Warm Bodies. It's a dark romantic comedy about zombies if that makes and sense. Also, Perks of being a Wallflower seems to be a hit or miss based on consensus but I found it very touching.

Closed Thread