HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 04:38 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yep. I was reading HF in my living room, my girlfriend read your post and said ' that whiskey guy knows what he's talking about'.
Tell her "Whiskey says 'sup'" and then tell me what she said, especially if she says "sup" back. In that case tell her "not much, you?" and then let me know what she says then as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
The Newsroom
Suits
Vikings
Sons of Anarchy
House of Cards

Is what I'm watching right now, I started Breaking Bad and Homeland, couldn't get with it, dropped both, I may revisitt hem at some point. I also recently got all the Seinfelds, I should watch that too.
My opinion:
Breaking Bad starts off really slow and different than how it ends. I felt like dropping it multiple times in s2 and s3 but it's honestly up to you. It IS a very good show though.
The Newsroom is pretty light fun about political issues. It has its problems but also has an intrinsic quality to it which is endearing.
Suits is just like... popcorn. No value to it whatsoever but it tastes okay if you're not paying attention. I've dropped it but honestly, it's a "who gives a damn" show.
SoA I don't watch (yet).
Homeland is insanely overrated and I dropped it after s1. Boardwalk Empire I abandoned after s2. They're not top-tier shows and it frustrates me to watch them fail or be lazy.
House of Cards is as close to The Wire as I've seen on TV. 9/10 so far, I have three episodes left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventington View Post
The dialogue in The Departed was awful. I have never seen the movie it is based on, but I have to assume it is much much better.
But... how, how could you say that

Old
10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
poetryinmotion

Y'all should watch Rectify it's from the producers of BB. It's brilliant.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hello Ladies is painful, awkward, embarrassing, goofy and infuriating. I just watched the fist four episodes.

It's not haute-television but it's pretty fun.
I have no idea what you just said here, but I love the show. Can't wait to get more of it.

It's witty comedy, which means at best it has a 50-50 chance of getting picked up for another season .

Old
10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I have no idea what you just said here, but I love the show. Can't wait to get more of it.

It's witty comedy, which means at best it has a 50-50 chance of getting picked up for another season .

I love it, it creates just the right amount of sympathy for the awful main character. Eastbound and Down has a similarly arrogant but very different main character, I also love that show

Old
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
I'm firmly in the school of thought that thinks that movies cannot be, and will not be, art. They can be artistic, they can be beautiful and captivating and emotional but they cannot be art so I pretty much disagree with everything our little Bohème has to say about Tarantino.

For instance Terrence Malick is a lot of things but he's NOT giving people new and fresh - no way.

Randomly assorted movies to check out:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le Papillon)
Once Upon a Time in the West
Grosse Pointe Blank
The Maltese Falcon
Touch of Evil
Marathon Man
The Great Escape
Big Trouble in Little China
Get Low (2009)

Totally eclectic list but I'll be watching and rewatching those this week I think.
OK. Why don't you believe that film is an art? I'm asking this seriously because I live because of my art... film. I'm not saying that Tarantino's films aren't art, they are. I just don't happen to like it.

What constitutes art for you? Do you view video art as art? What about VJ work? Video installations? Experimental film? I'm curious.

Calling me a boheme for my passion of film is silly. I love film and I am able to eat/have a roof over my head because of it.

Quote:
I love internet bohemian elitists. Some serious namedropping there.
You've probably seen a lot of their films. We were talking about film and I mentioned filmmakers. Makes sense to talk about the subject we're discussing no? He asked me about who is doing new things in film... And I answered. So...

Old
10-28-2013, 06:41 PM
mitchmagic

Also... relevant. Haha.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
OK. Why don't you believe that film is an art? I'm asking this seriously because I live because of my art... film. I'm not saying that Tarantino's films aren't art, they are. I just don't happen to like it.

What constitutes art for you? Do you view video art as art? What about VJ work? Video installations? Experimental film? I'm curious.

Calling me a boheme for my passion of film is silly. I love film and I am able to eat/have a roof over my head because of it.

You've probably seen a lot of their films. We were talking about film and I mentioned filmmakers. Makes sense to talk about the subject we're discussing no? He asked me about who is doing new things in film... And I answered. So...
I've always considered film to be the perfect art form, because it incorporates all traditional art into one medium. The pure visual beauty of great cinematography and costumes requires the mastery of a Renaissance painter; a soul-stirring film score takes all the composing & arranging chops of the best musicians; and the clever, biting, evocative and satiric lines of dialogue that weave the storyline together can have as deep an impact as the highest forms of literature.

I'm not comparing John Williams to Beethoven, but when every person on the planet can hum the tune to Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Arc as easily as the first four notes of the 5th Symphony, you can't dismiss Williams' work as one thing and Beethoven's as another. They're both artists. Look at Terrence Malick's proto-Americana landscapes or his war-torn Vietnam forests and tell me it's not as breath-taking as any painting. Film isn't just art, it's all art in one.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I really would of enjoyed these movies... If I was a 12-14 years old girl, which is a fine statement and I do not mean to be mean in any ways. I'm stating a fact of my personality, I literally would of enjoyed these two movies I'd I been a 12 to 14 years old little girl when watching it.

In fact I kinda wish I was a thirteen year old girl and to watch both movies tonight.
haha best comment ever! You win this thread! I know what you mean though. I can be pretty jaded myself so I've made a conscious effort to be more light hearted and open minded. Easier to see the beauty in things.

Quote:
Has anyone checked out oldboy yet as a result of this thread? Would love to hear some feedback on that suggestion
So I finally watched Oldboy last night. I figured out the twist halfway through the movie. Not hard to deduce if you know a twist is coming. Either that or I'm just that good. Spoiler: the scene where Woo-jin Lee says,"Do you really think Mido has fallen in love with Oh Dae-Su already?" was pretty much a dead give away.

Can't wait for the remake. Agree with Overlords, american audience is going to flip the **** out lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventington View Post
I saw Oldboy seperately from the thread. It is fantastic. Pretty much a perfect movie. I refuse to see the remake. I am not sure if this has been mentioned because I don't follow this thread all that closely, but was anyone aware that the scene where the main character eats the live octopus is actually real? And in real life the actor that did that is a vegetarian?

Must have been awful.
Spoiler: YA that was a great scene! I was looking for any animations or editing but then I was like damn that's a real octopus! You can tell by his face! He has that same face you would have if someone put a gun to your head and just told you to eat poop. Being portuguese we eat a lot of seafood and I know that a lot of people will even eat the whole head of the fish. I can't even look at the poor fish when I'm about to eat it, I can't imagine taking a bite out of a live one!

Old
10-29-2013, 10:28 AM
sventington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Heard about I, Claudius that it's supposed to be one of the best shows ever. Want to get on that one. It's like late 70s/early 80s or something?
It is sometime in the 70s...I want to say early 70s. The delivery of a lot of the lines is quite theatrical, so in the end it feels more like a soap opera than a look into the ancient Roman world. The way it is put together is neat. The show is basically the Emperor Claudius recalling what had happened to his family as he goes about writing their history. As a youth he was thought to be slow witted as he had a bad stutter and physical defects, but his character had more going on than most realized. You get to see how he came to know what it is he is writing about, and it is nice that the show stays pretty consistent in that regard. I still have a few episodes to go, but I am enjoying it. I wouldn't put it in my top 5, but it is interesting.

Quote:

But... how, how could you say that
I just found myself rolling my eyes at a lot of it. Like the whole "he's a cop" game two of the gangsters were playing, or the scene where Jack Nicholson is with some woman and throwing coke around, or even little wooden lines like where some guy is confirming that he knows another one of the people by saying something like "yes. we were classmates in the academy together.", or the whole period thing...it just seemed super unconvincing. The movie had an interesting premise, but that was about it.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Craig71

I really liked Spartacus, from beginning till end.
2. Shameless, William H Macy show.
3. Walking dead
4. House of lies

Old
10-29-2013, 10:55 AM
mitchmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I've always considered film to be the perfect art form, because it incorporates all traditional art into one medium. The pure visual beauty of great cinematography and costumes requires the mastery of a Renaissance painter; a soul-stirring film score takes all the composing & arranging chops of the best musicians; and the clever, biting, evocative and satiric lines of dialogue that weave the storyline together can have as deep an impact as the highest forms of literature.

I'm not comparing John Williams to Beethoven, but when every person on the planet can hum the tune to Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Arc as easily as the first four notes of the 5th Symphony, you can't dismiss Williams' work as one thing and Beethoven's as another. They're both artists. Look at Terrence Malick's proto-Americana landscapes or his war-torn Vietnam forests and tell me it's not as breath-taking as any painting. Film isn't just art, it's all art in one.
I couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Avengers*

guys check out the new x-men trailer. freakin epic!

Old
10-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Y'all should watch Rectify it's from the producers of BB. It's brilliant.
Watched first episode last night ... looks promising.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:08 PM
mitchmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
Looks pretty good. Can't believe they brought Brian Singer back though. He sucks the fun out of everything.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Here you go:

Old
10-29-2013, 12:13 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Here you go:
Ah.. so no kitty pryde then. That's cool.

The x-men movies are the last major film franchise to seriously piss me off.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:15 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
The Newsroom
Suits
Vikings
Sons of Anarchy
House of Cards

Is what I'm watching right now, I started Breaking Bad and Homeland, couldn't get with it, dropped both, I may revisitt hem at some point. I also recently got all the Seinfelds, I should watch that too.
You CANT drop Breaking Bad. Yes it start a bit slow, but when u get to the ending, you just have the feeling you just watch the best tv show ever made. S1 and 2 are ok, but starting season 3, everything change...for the worst!

As for Homeland, yes, if you were expecting a kaboomabanaza like 24, its not it. Wait more political and serious than 24. Im very hook at season 3 now.

Also starting myself to get hook at SoA. Better than i was expecting.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
You CANT drop Breaking Bad. Yes it start a bit slow, but when u get to the ending, you just have the feeling you just watch the best tv show ever made. S1 and 2 are ok, but starting season 3, everything change...for the worst!

As for Homeland, yes, if you were expecting a kaboomabanaza like 24, its not it. Wait more political and serious than 24. Im very hook at season 3 now.

Also starting myself to get hook at SoA. Better than i was expecting.
I know for Breaking Bad, people keep telling me the same thing, I'll watch it when I have like a week off or something..

As for SoA, I know exactly what you mean, I was really surprised to see that it's that good.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:09 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

i personally like the new direction homeland is taking.

watched this tonight
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1805412/

"SOUND IT OUT is a documentary portrait of the very last surviving vinyl record shop in Teesside, in the North East of England. Starring Tom, Kelly, David, Daniel, 70,000 records and the good people of Teesside. A distinctive, funny and intimate film about men, obsession and the irreplaceable role music plays in our lives. High Fidelity with a Northern Accent. Got any Makina?"

not that highly rated on IMDB but i loved it: i love music and i have many friends from that area, newcastle, manchester and the like, and it really captures the hopelessness of those old industrial cities leaving music as their only escape left

MD approves

Old
10-29-2013, 02:16 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Watched first episode last night ... looks promising.
You can see how production wise it's eerily similar, just a different show. It's short and sweet (6 ep miniseries) but they did announce a season 2.

^^

Thought of this movie I saw a long time ago when reading your post: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's all Gone Pete Tong. The number of awards this movie got speak for themselves.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:31 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
It's all Gone Pete Tong. The number of awards this movie got speak for themselves.
ha this is a brilliant movie

in the same vein: "24 hour party people" is also epic as hell. also: "human traffic"

Old
10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Avengers*

Quote:

What you talking about man? you can clearly see her at 24 seconds in the trailer.

check the 4th cast member: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877832/reference

Ellen Page ... Kitty Pryde / Shadowcat

Old
10-29-2013, 04:33 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

I've only seen the first two but man are they underwhelming. they're not bad but they should be huge event movies that have everybody wanting to see them.

I don't care if the movies are set in the universe where Wolverine doesn't have his mask on...I WANT TO SEE WOLVERINE'S MASK and not Hugh Jackman's stupid mug.

The movies never come close to how awesome the cartoons are. Somebody awesome needs to take over that franchise.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:34 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
What you talking about man? you can clearly see her at 24 seconds in the trailer.

check the 4th cast member: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877832/reference

Ellen Page ... Kitty Pryde / Shadowcat
Oh, didn't read the cast list. Seemed to me from the preview that Wolverine was the one being sent back in time, not Kitty Pryde. Might have just not paid enough attention.

Anything for more Ellen Page. Would do illegal things...

Old
10-29-2013, 05:37 PM
David_99

Quote:
Oh, didn't read the cast list. Seemed to me from the preview that Wolverine was the one being sent back in time, not Kitty Pryde. Might have just not paid enough attention.

Anything for more Ellen Page. Would do illegal things...
Did you hear about the whole Ellen Page video game controversy? haha

As for DoFP, they had to send Wolvie's mind back to his 70s body to fix the past cause Kitty Pryde wouldn't have been born yet.

Closed Thread