HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk: Would you accept him back? (Mod Note Post 293)

Old
11-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Wingman77

vCash: 500
Kovy and Parise were players that created space and played not just on the perimeters, but in the middle as well

That space they created by playing in the middle allowed for opponents to draw to them, leaving other guys on our lines open and allowed them to become more creative

Now, like last season, we have nobody that creates space or wants to play in the middle and we don't have a Kovy or Parise player that causes panic or attention to other teams when they're on the ice

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
I admit I agreed with Jim. I thought he was pretty persuasive. He noted how our on ice production post Kovy trade was actually worse as far as goals are concerned. Which I didn't know.

Honestly I jumped the gun in agreeing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jim is eventually proven right.
How so? We had 25 goals in the 13 games Kovy missed last year. We had 85 goals in the 35 games he played. That's 1.92 a game without him, 2.43 with him.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Wingman77

The main stat that was causing people to get up in arms was that he had like 4 ES goals

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
How so? We had 25 goals in the 13 games Kovy missed last year. We had 85 goals in the 35 games he played. That's 1.92 a game without him, 2.43 with him.
I think Jim used team goals pre Kovy era and post Kovy trade. For the season.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:23 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
The team was so dramatically different from 2008 to the end of last year it's a ridiculous comparison. Elias was younger, you had a healthy Parise for the most part, Langs wasn't a total waste pre-Kovy and Zajac was actually producing offensively with a healthy Parise/Langs. Before that you had guys like Gomez, Rafalski, the non-offensively challenged Gionta, etc. It's not Kovy that prevented us from replacing them it was bad FA decisions and bad drafting/development.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
wow...just wow. do you actually believe any of that?
Sure.
How many goals has Kovalchuk scored for us this season? None.
How many goals is Kovalchuk going to score for us next season? Zero.
How many goals is Kovalchuk going to score for us the season after that? Zip.
and so forth.

So I think it's fair to say that his contact wasnt recipe for success, highlighted by the fact that we are not currently very successful.
If by some twist of fate he came back in 5 years or something and said "Hay guys, I want to make up for that whole thing and play for ya at a reasonable contract"..ok. Frankly though that's not very likely, and by then we have no idea what this team will look like or if he'd even fit into it. I sure hope in a few years we arent desperately in need of a 35+ year old Kovalchuk to come back and save the day.Frankly, I hope by then this team is at a point where we could tell future Kovy to suck it

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:25 AM
captainscott

that signing was black cloud for this organization... we have to free ourselves of its baggage it has literally ruined this franchise in the short term and would have ruined it long term if not for his early retirement... no I would not take him back as much has the team needs him and relied on him long term noooool.

captainscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Take Notes

Lolll at people saying Kovy's contract ruined the organisation

Take Notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:49 AM
BadFella
"$8M Goalie My Ass!"

Doc knew what was going down. That's why he called him Kovalsuck in 11-12 ECF.

BadFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:55 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Re: how is Kovy doing in KHL
Well, he missed complete training camp, he missed 25% of games so far. He'll miss National team tournament that's happening soon.
That's a man that rarely, if ever, missed optionals in 11/12 now he's having "personal reasons" for missing Nat.Team camp three months before Olympics ...

Yeah, he's pumping well over 1PPG. He'll still snap it faster than you can blink. But let me add some perspective - we have Jonathan Cheechoo playing for us in Zagreb. Yeah, that one. He's pretty much on pair with Kovy, when goal-scoring is concerned. So, take what you will out of that.

I was at the game in Zagreb vs. SKA. One game, 2 goals. Both when left alone in the slot. Shootouts - no goal, and not a trace of Kovy we once knew. I've made a point in watching him closely - and could have had easy comparison, as we sport small, cca NHL-sized rink. That burst he had, was not there any more. Yeah you could see him stand out vs. our 4th line, and lesser Dmen, but all in all - given the team they iced, plus Kovy - they should have blown us away. And we won in the shootout, after Kovy brought them even couple minutes before game ended.
Another game, played in St.Peter. -> Kovy did not play.

Watched only two more full games that he played, and they were pretty much more of the same.

My take is still as it was weeks ago - he is damaged goods, and we are lucky that he "retired"

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:30 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Everyone was agreeing with him and patting him on the back
false

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:36 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
Sure.
this is what I took exception with:

Quote:
I mean, does it really need to be said again that he demanded a massive contract (for 17 years....because 17, ya know, his number) that turned into a boondoggle costing a 1st even, then played 'Meh' for about 1/3rd of it, and walked out to go home after 3 years, because he wanted to.
Not exactly like we kicked him to the curve. The last 3 years have been the Kovy show, and after all is said and done what do we have to show for it? one SFC appearance (nothing to sneeze at) and a pretty broken franchise that fell apart after all its stars walked (except Patty, because he's cool, and that's why Patty is better)
kovy did everything he could to conform to devils hockey, even when the results weren’t pretty. I cant think of another recent devil that has worn his emotions on his sleeve, and who wanted to win more than he did. to paint the picture of ‘he came here, got paid, and lazily did nothing for our franchise, then bolted’ is so far off base I cant decide what to pick apart first.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
SeidoN
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSpasm Kovy View Post
Lolll at people saying Kovy's contract ruined the organisation
traded a 1st + to get him, lost a 1st and 3rd trying to sign him, potentially lost Parise for him, lost Kovy in the end for nothing anyway

yes, it did.

SeidoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Take Notes

When was the last time a devil player had a dominant seasons and playoffs? With back problems no less in the playoffs.

We had a lot of overachievers during the season but it was the first devil to sustain his play come playoff time.

He probably did breakdown with injuries and stuff but to say the man came here and people act like he did nothing to this organisation other then harm are seriously either blind or have no knowledge.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Take Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
traded a 1st and prospects to get him, lost a 1st and 3rd trying to sign him, potentially lost Parise for him, lost Kovy in the end for nothing anyway

yes, it did.
Not his fault, blame Lou. Or the ownership back then.

He didn't pull a gun to anyone's head for an offer. Don't put it all on the guys shoulder when he delivered with his play,passion and leadership.

People just don't know what happened behind the scene with Lou, yet they quickly attribute Kovy as lazy. If that man is something, lazy isn't in the options at all.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
this is what I took exception with:

kovy did everything he could to conform to devils hockey, even when the results weren’t pretty. I cant think of another recent devil that has worn his emotions on his sleeve, and who wanted to win more than he did. to paint the picture of ‘he came here, got paid, and lazily did nothing for our franchise, then bolted’ is so far off base I cant decide what to pick apart first.
I didnt say that though.
I said he came here, got us to give him the moon, gave us two good years, and then bolted. I didnt say he was lazy either, I said he had issues. Dont see how any of that is off base.

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Take Notes

Quote:
I didnt say that though.
I said he came here, got us to give him the moon, gave us one really good year, and then bolted. I didnt say he was lazy either, I said he had issues. Dont see how any of that is off base.
He had issues because the man was playing 30 minutes a game.

How many forwards can play 30 minutes a game for almost a full season? You just can't blame him for the contract he got, he is not the one to blame for that.

Old
09-24-2014, 12:03 PM
tycobb

The Kovy hate is funny. The Russian ruble has been crashing. He is probably making less money there then he would be making in the NHL. I wish him the best. He tried his best when he was with the club and nearly got us another cup.

I also find it funny that people think Kovy injury was so serious that he wasn't going to be the player that we signed him to be. Looks to be on pace for a solid season and seems undeniable that he will come back to the NHL by the time he is 35. Sooner if the NHL/KHL agree to a transfer policy.

Guy made a personal decision. Why are people so upset?

Devils most popular player today was hated by his ex clubs. People claiming he gave up on the team. He went to the KHL, came back, and is beloved.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

...........because he quit the team.

QUIT.

thats all you need to know about him. He had a contract. If he was a free agent and decided to run to mommy in Russia, fine whatever.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
...........because he quit the team.

QUIT.

thats all you need to know about him. He had a contract. If he was a free agent and decided to run to mommy in Russia, fine whatever.
And when the owners locked out did they not quit on the players? Or when the players had their payouts changed because the league wanted to make more money?

Old
09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I would welcome Kovy back with open arms when he's 35, so long as the contract is short and the money reasonable.

You people are obsessed with holding grudges.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
And when the owners locked out did they not quit on the players? Or when the players had their payouts changed because the league wanted to make more money?
yes, the situations are completely comparable, my mistake, youre right.

Old
09-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I would welcome Kovy back with open arms when he's 35, so long as the contract is short and the money reasonable.

You people are obsessed with holding grudges.
that is a completely different argument as far as I am concerned.

Old
09-24-2014, 12:17 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
yes, the situations are completely comparable, my mistake, youre right.

I would consider the Lock outs to be way worse than what Kovy did. The last one never needed to happen. Owners did it to show power knowing the fans would come back .

Old
09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
These are totally different situations.

The owners signed a contract and when it ended they wanted to renegotiate, that's not quitting. Kovalchuk was at the beginning of a 15 year commitment when he signed the dotted line. Completely different.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote