HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another spot on the blueline just opened up

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Another spot on the blueline just opened up

According to Brooks' column today, Rachunek has signed a binding contract with a Russian team for this coming season.

Old
07-03-2005, 02:32 AM
NYRangers

Good. Not a fan here.

Old
07-03-2005, 02:41 AM
NYRangers

Nevermind this.

Last edited by NYRangers: 07-03-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old
07-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Balej20*

hmm, i kinda wanted to see what he could do with a full year here...and he was young.

Old
07-03-2005, 03:32 AM
BwayBshirt

probably just one of a few upcoming examples of a european believing he'll make more $$$(at least for the next pro hockey season) staying over there instead of in the nhl.

Old
07-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Fletch

This is a non-event...

I wasn't a huge fan of Rachunek anyways. Of course, it opens the door for a free agent signing, which too may not be the worst thing to happen to the blue line that now lists Kaspar and Poti as vets.

Old
07-03-2005, 09:19 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

lets make it a good dman that can help develop our youth like Tyutin. Chris Pronger, Adam Foote....a big physical defensemen who can mentor tyutin.

Old
07-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I think we, meaning the NHL, is going to start seeing more of this. With NHL salaries down and coming more into line with European salaries, European players are going to start thinking longer and harder about just staying home. Already, marginal players were thinking that it was better to have guaranteed money at home than to toil around the AHL hoping for a shot at the NHL.

I have a feeling that except for top notch Europeans who come over here to be 1st or 2nd line players, Europeans will start becoming fairly rare in the NHL in the next five years.

Old
07-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I have a feeling that except for top notch Europeans who come over here to be 1st or 2nd line players, Europeans will start becoming fairly rare in the NHL in the next five years.
Might not be the worst thing in the world for the NHL either

Old
07-03-2005, 11:44 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Good. Not a fan here.
Because of his 12 game stint? He went from a team with a very organized defense to a disorganized sloppy mess on the ice. At 24 he was already a top-4 defensman on the Sens. I'd take Karl over more then half our defensman prospects. Hes proved himself that he can be a top 4 man...

Old
07-03-2005, 11:49 AM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Because of his 12 game stint? He went from a team with a very organized defense to a disorganized sloppy mess on the ice. At 24 he was already a top-4 defensman on the Sens. I'd take Karl over more then half our defensman prospects. Hes proved himself that he can be a top 4 man...
I have seen him a lot before he came to the Rangers, don't assume.

As I said. If he was a top 4 D Man on a great team and was only 24 why would the Sens give him up plus a prospect for friggin Greg DeVries?

Old
07-03-2005, 11:56 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
I have seen him a lot before he came to the Rangers, don't assume.

As I said. If he was a top 4 D Man on a great team and was only 24 why would the Sens give him up plus a prospect for friggin Greg DeVries?

Why would they give him up for "friggin" DeVries... a vet on the blueline who has won stanley cups before, a +12 player on the Rangers, a stay at home dman who rarely makes a mistake in his own zone. That was a great trade for them gearing up for a playoff run. DeVries had like 3 years left on his contract also.

Also if you asked Sen fans on there board (like i did a few months ago), pretty much 75/25 of them hated that trade and wish they could get Karl back.

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 07-03-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old
07-03-2005, 12:16 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Yeah, because having a bunch of minor league players is good for the on ice product as long as their names dont end with a v or a k.

Old
07-03-2005, 12:39 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Yeah, because having a bunch of minor league players is good for the on ice product as long as their names dont end with a v or a k.
I suspect that even if many of the 2nd/3rd tier Euros opt to stay in Europe (and this still remains to be seen), all that will happen is that the AHL-caliber callups will play on the 4th line. That will quickly be followed by every team in the league dropping to what is essentially 3-line play with the scrubs getting 5 minutes or so a game.

Old
07-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I suspect that even if many of the 2nd/3rd tier Euros opt to stay in Europe (and this still remains to be seen), all that will happen is that the AHL-caliber callups will play on the 4th line. That will quickly be followed by every team in the league dropping to what is essentially 3-line play with the scrubs getting 5 minutes or so a game.
You could have a point, it also depends on where the minimum salary lands. If its at 400k it will probably not be too hard to get a decent 4th line. If its lower I wouldn't be suprised if some teams went with 3 lines completly and used the 3 players left out as "injury reserve"(dressed but not playing at unless someone goes down).

Old
07-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Talents spread pretty thin as it is...

Old
07-03-2005, 02:54 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

when did Rachunek's contract with the Rangers expire?

Old
07-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Fletch

dedalus...

perhaps fourth liners become third liners and AHLers become fourth liners...and then, yes, the bench is shortened a bit and fourth liners will be even more of a commodity and be making far less as a percentage of total payroll than before.

Old
07-03-2005, 06:33 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
when did Rachunek's contract with the Rangers expire?
if 04-05 contracts expire, he'll be a RFA when the lockout ends

and according to hockey rodent, he has an out clause so we could still resign him.

Old
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
lets make it a good dman that can help develop our youth like Tyutin. Chris Pronger, Adam Foote....a big physical defensemen who can mentor tyutin.
and what makes you think either of those guys, or anyone like them would consider coming to the rangers in the current mess under any circumstances??

we can't offer more $$ so those guys have absolutely ZERO reason to sign here, they will get the same $$ from a contender

we aren't getting any of the top free agents

Old
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
perhaps fourth liners become third liners and AHLers become fourth liners...
Isn't that what we already have becuase of overexpansion? Watered down talent playing in a league that 10 years ago would not have allowed them anywhere near the ice. Which, in turn, is one of the many things that lead to a rise in obstruction. The more things change......

Old
07-03-2005, 08:12 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
That's how it works now. The 4th line gets 8 minutes if they're lucky.

Personally, I'm glad that Canadians and Americans will get those jobs. I like the rough stuff, maybe we'll see some more of that with North American players.

Old
07-03-2005, 10:24 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Isn't that what we already have becuase of overexpansion? Watered down talent playing in a league that 10 years ago would not have allowed them anywhere near the ice. Which, in turn, is one of the many things that lead to a rise in obstruction. The more things change......
yes but now it can be made even worse....all thank the great gary bettman

Old
07-03-2005, 10:37 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I guess James Black won't be making a comeback either.

Seriously, one of the reasons Rachunek was moved was because he had held out on his last contract and he was due for RFA status. Muckler could see another holdout on the horizon.

Also, the Rangers were asking for either (1) a prospect and a pick, or (2) a prospect and a player - for any of the players they traded away before the last deadline. It was neccessary from an Ottawa standpoint to get the deal done. It didn't work out for Ottawa but de Vries will be much better ina full season.

Old
07-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Fletch

Perhaps if the Sens...

paid Greg deVries money for Rachunek, there would not be a hold-out. In other words, they were willing to trade for deVries and pay his contract, which called for an amount a bit higher than Rachunek - so why not keep the 24 year old instead of the 32 year old who was have a mediocre season? deVries was being paid $3.25 million per year - wasn't Rachunek around $1.5 million? Someone in the middle a deal could be made for Rachunek if he was really worth it in the Sens' minds as the money was obviously there to be spent. deVries also had 3 more years left on that contract.

Funny quote from the Winnepeg Sun on July 6, 2003: 'Someone will pay too much to sign Greg deVries and realize he's a decent NHL defenceman, just not worth $3 million a season'

Closed Thread