HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray a Hab - 1 year/$1.5 million (The Advanced Stats Edition)

Old
08-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 500
Awards:
Douglas Murray a Hab - 1 year/$1.5 million (The Advanced Stats Edition)

Last one was close to hitting 1,000.

Since we all love Douglas Murray, here's part two!

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:30 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
We love to discuss Douglas Murray more

I can't wait for training camp and eventually the start of the season to see what Murray really brings to the team.

Also EA Sports better have him on the habs roster right away!

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Mr. Hab

Great/smart signing

Pens gave TWO 2nd Rnd Picks for Murray a few months ago!!
We got Murray for 1.5mil (smart and cheap).
Great for the toughness/grit/size/height factor and great for the #5-6-7 D-depth

Gorges - PK Subban
Markov - Diaz/Murray
Murray - Diaz/Bouillon
------------ -----------
Emelin (injured)
Tinordi
Drewiskie
Beaulieu

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 06:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
We love to discuss Douglas Murray more

I can't wait for training camp and eventually the start of the season to see what Murray really brings to the team.

Also EA Sports better have him on the habs roster right away!
I think rosters are set for now, it takes a few weeks after puck drop for them to release their first update.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin
Season / Corsi / Relative Corsi (relative to teammates) / On-ice SV% / PDO (anyone above 1000 is considered "lucky", and expected to regress toward 1000 over time, btw) / Team Rank (Corsi Rel. Qual. Comp. among defensemen)

07-08 / +2.19 / -4.1 / 0.933 (next highest teammate 0.920) / 1041 / 4/9
08-09 / +5.62 / -3 / 0.925 / 1002 / 3/9
09-10 / +1.8 / -1.5 / 0.920 / 1005 / 1/10
10-11 / +4.29 / -5.9 / 0.929 / 1000 / 2/9
11-12 / -7.93 / -16.2 / 0.944 / 1008 / 3/8
12-13 / -12.6 / -14.3 / 0.927 / 986 / *

* - Combined numbers put him 6/10 on Pittsburgh, but would have been 4/12 if listed on San Jose.

Not as far back as 2009, but there's evidence of a steep decline going back more than just last season.
I think others have explained some ways how Corsi fails stay at home defensemen, so I inserted some other stats that I have brought up (in bold) which exhibit less "decline" in "effectiveness" than the doomsayers are suggesting (last year aside, obviously). Goalies continue to save a high number of shots while he's on the ice, and he was near/at the top of each defense squad over those years in Corsi Relative Qual. Comp. (just to jam another advanced stat in there, which means little year to year, but is interesting when compared among teammates in a given year).

Thought I'd also list his offensive zone start % over the same time frame that might show that Murray has helped tilt the ice juuuust a bit in his teams' favour each regular season except '10/11:

Season / Off. Zone Start (%) / Off. Zone Finish (%) / Difference (one interpretation might be that a positive difference somewhat implies overall flow of play biased toward the opponents' end)

07-08 / 51.6 / 53.1 / +1.5
08-09 / 55.7 / 58.1 / +2.4
09-10 / 51.1 / 52.3 / +1.2
10-11 / 52.2 / 50.2 / -2.0
11-12 / 47.3 / 47.5 / +0.2
12-13 / 46.5 / 47.3 / +0.8

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Tyson

At 1.5 DM is an absolute steal. He will become a fan favorite with his rugged play. Those who think he is over the hill are crazy. Underrated fighter

Tyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It will be fun to watch the whining and complaining about Parros and Murray by the anti-tough guys all season.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 08:58 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Great/smart signing

Great for the toughness/grit/size/height factor and great for the #5-6-7 D-depth

Gorges - PK Subban
Markov - Diaz/Murray
Murray - Diaz/Bouillon
------------ -----------
Emelin (injured)
Tinordi
Drewiskie
Beaulieu
As a rental nonetheless.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:02 PM
SouthernHab

From the now closed thread......

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah

Doug is definitely a good presence in the dressing room, very calming and happy.
Followed by a reply from my dear friend Andy.......

Quote:
You deciphered that from a 3 minute video?
S Bah. Spot on regarding what Murray will bring to the dressing room. This is called an intangible that a player brings to a team.
There is no measurement of what a player like Murray will do to motivate and encourage the younger players on the team.

So.......stats people/NHL13 players like Andy will make light of that intangible and dismiss it.

Hockey is about talent and skill. Hockey is also about emotion and momentum.

One without the other is not successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It will be fun to watch the whining and complaining about Parros and Murray by the anti-tough guys all season.

I am looking forward to it as well.

Prust quickly became a fan favorite despite all of the complaining about "the cost" etc and so on.

So will Parros and Murray!!

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
S Bah. Spot on regarding what Murray will bring to the dressing room. This is called an intangible that a player brings to a team.
There is no measurement of what a player like Murray will do to motivate and encourage the younger players on the team.

So.......stats people/NHL13 players like Andy will make light of that intangible and dismiss it.

Hockey is about talent and skill. Hockey is also about emotion and momentum.

One without the other is not successful.
I care very little about what he brings in the dressing room. Hal Gill and Scott Gomez were amazing in the room, but both needed to be moved. Doesn't mean jack crap.
What matters will always be what happens on the ice. If he can deliver bone crushing hits, if he can lay Lucic on his fat ass, if he can clear the net for Price, if he can stick up for his teammates and beat some stupid opponents, if he can defend well, then good. Otherwise move him at the deadline.

Quote:
I am looking forward to it as well.

Prust quickly became a fan favorite despite all of the complaining about "the cost" etc and so on.

So will Parros and Murray!!
Except Prust is actually good, and we finished at the top this year.
If we're a PO bubble team next year and Parros/Murray often get caught making dumb mistakes, they won't be fan favorites.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Great/smart signing

Gorges - PK Subban
Markov - Diaz/Murray
Murray - Diaz/Bouillon
------------ -----------
Emelin (injured)
Tinordi
Drewiskie
Beaulieu
Murray can't play RD, so a Markov Murray pairing is very unlikely, also a big reason why I think Tinordi is a lock to make the team to play RD with Markvo unless another dmen is brought in

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
As a rental nonetheless.
There you go...even more positive! (Pens gave TWO 2nd Rnd picks and it was a rental deal... we have Murray as a 5th-6th-7th DMAN and for 1.5mil for the year...we keep all our prospects/picks/players,etc... no risk at all and pretty cheap imo).

Also, Murray will want to play well since he'll be probably looking for an extension. It's not like he'll be sitting on a 2mil-2.5mil per year 3-4 years' contract. It's a one year contract.

Love how we are more able to defend ourselves now (about time!) and protect the net (tired of being pushovers):
<Parros
<Prust
<Murray
<White
<Moen (hopefully he makes a comeback and becomes a gritty warrior again)
<Bouillon (small but a pitbull sometimes...hopefully he can have a good year for us)
<PK Subban (I don't want to see him fighting, but his huge hits can attract trouble/retaliation! let Parros and White take care of the fighting/protection...if need be).
<Tarnasky...will he get his cup of coffee (2 or 3 games this year?) against the Bruins? Leaves?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 08-26-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:12 AM
marvelousmotion

Great signing, Murray is a beast and he'll quickly become a fan favorite. It's been a while since the last time Montreal had a player of this type.

He is strong, big, clears the crease, willing to sacrifice his body to block shots, good on the PK and plays a physical game. What is there not to like? He's exactly what this team has been lacking.

Haters will say that he is slow... The same has been said about Hal Gill and he turned out to be pretty effective during his two years stint with the Habs. As a defensive stay-at-home defenceman, you don't need to skate like Bobby Orr to be effective. You know your limitations and work to compensate with good positioning. Plus, at 1.5M, you will not find a better player and fit than Murray.

He was not at his best last year, but he's certainly got the right set of mind to bounce back.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/p...ifier-1.652386

Based on that phone interview, he seems ready and motivated to prove that he is not on the decline. Looking forward to see him on the ice.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Habs13

Quote:
<Tarnasky...will he get his cup of coffee (2 or 3 games this year?) against the Bruins? Leaves?
I do believe Tarnasky signed an AHL contract, not a 2-way NHL contract. Could be wrong, though.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I do believe Tarnasky signed an AHL contract, not a 2-way NHL contract. Could be wrong, though.
Either way, the season would have to go some kind of downhill before we saw as much as one NHL game for Tarnasky.

Old
08-26-2013, 01:04 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

since i can make puns with his name, like crapnasky, or cantskatesky, i believe tarnaksy is nowhere near good enough for the nhl

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:34 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
since i can make puns with his name, like crapnasky, or cantskatesky, i believe tarnaksy is nowhere near good enough for the nhl
What about scrapnasty? Souns like he could take on Lucic and Chara in the same game.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Bieber fever

so this kid has some patent for a device that can make you drink beer faster ?

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:36 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Two-way: 125K AHL, 550K NHL.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
so, there's no way of knowing really... but YOU know it will be good ? woah! talk about wisdom!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Peter The Great

The Wall? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp57rDcYLh4

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:50 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I care very little about what he brings in the dressing room. Hal Gill and Scott Gomez were amazing in the room, but both needed to be moved. Doesn't mean jack crap.
What matters will always be what happens on the ice. If he can deliver bone crushing hits, if he can lay Lucic on his fat ass, if he can clear the net for Price, if he can stick up for his teammates and beat some stupid opponents, if he can defend well, then good. Otherwise move him at the deadline.
Pretty much...

I mean, doesnt Cab Driver Kane have 2 cup rings already at the age of 24, and didnt Prima Donna Cammy gave us one of the best P.O. performances in a very long while only a few years ago...

Great if Murray is a nice person and al, but at the end of the day, you only help the team if you do what you're supposed to do ON THE ICE.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 08:37 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Douglas Murray - DM. Similar to Dextromethorphan (also DM), he has similar side effects:

At normal doses:
nausea
drowsiness
dizziness
Closed-eye hallucination
Difficulty breathing

This year, come get your dose of DM at the bell center. You'll sleep good. Real good.

JusticeBeaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Grant McCagg

I don't profess to know Murray that well, but I get the impression he's put on a few unwanted pounds in the past couple of years. i'm not sure his fitness level was where it needed to be, and when you are a player who struggles a bit with weight issues..let's just say I don't think the lockout helped Murray in that regard last season.

Most players don't slow down in their early 30's because of age - might his "slowing down" simply be the result of having some extra beef?

Anyway - hopefully he shows up at camp in good shape, and regains that "half step" many contend he has lost.

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I don't profess to know Murray that well, but I get the impression he's put on a few unwanted pounds in the past couple of years. i'm not sure his fitness level was where it needed to be, and when you are a player who struggles a bit with weight issues..let's just say I don't think the lockout helped Murray in that regard last season.

Most players don't slow down in their early 30's because of age - might his "slowing down" simply be the result of having some extra beef?

Anyway - hopefully he shows up at camp in good shape, and regains that "half step" many contend he has lost.
Going 6 months without "the routine" instead of 3 certainly hit Murray in the waistline, and it really caught up with him by the end of the playoffs. Having been admittedly disappointed with the value of the contract he was able to sign, I fully expect a rebound in his commitment to conditioning. Not a full rebound in his conditioning (to, say, the 2009 level we keep coming back to), but enough to quell fears over whether he'll be able to contribute his worth over the length of his one year contract, at least. He already professes to a bit of re-invigoration coming to a hockey city like Montreal, so here's hoping.