HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXI - Baseball...we survived!

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
Exactly. It takes the strategy out of the game.
I've always thought it was silly to have pitchers go up to the plate and swing like girls (which they usually do). I prefer the DH myself. To each his own.

Old
09-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
I don't. There is so much in managers decisions based on that pitchers spot. It's much more intriguing
Ooh pinch hit here, incredible strategy. The whole strategy of the game is so over blown. Pitchers bunt when it's after the 6th, usually pinch hit. Occasionally double switch. They aren't in the dugout diagramming plays. No DH just means watching guys that can barely hit better than me up there striking out

Old
09-26-2013, 10:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Exactly. It takes the strategy out of the game.
No it doesn't, that's complete bull ****. I'd rather have a manager need to decide whether or not to pull a pitcher based on performance, fatigue, matchup, etc., and not...oh he's hitting soon, have to pull him!

Old
09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Cullksinikers

That Mariano Rivera moment was really touching. Baseball is a special game. I understand people may not like the farewell tours and the long goodbyes, but that was unbelievable. He is a man's man. What a legend.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No it doesn't, that's complete bull ****. I'd rather have a manager need to decide whether or not to pull a pitcher based on performance, fatigue, matchup, etc., and not...oh he's hitting soon, have to pull him!
Bull****

Having the DH adds zero strategy to making pitcher decisions

Old
09-27-2013, 07:56 AM
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Ooh pinch hit here, incredible strategy. The whole strategy of the game is so over blown. Pitchers bunt when it's after the 6th, usually pinch hit. Occasionally double switch. They aren't in the dugout diagramming plays. No DH just means watching guys that can barely hit better than me up there striking out
There's quite a bit of strategy with matchups. That's pretty obvious.

The whole point of the game is a 9 man roster, adding a DH is stupid. Hey, you're a decrepit piece of **** that can't field so we will extend your career by letting you only hit. When it comes to pitchers batting, It's the way the game was meant to be played. Pinch hitting, double switches, Tony LaRussas decisions to use the pitcher in the 8 spot, and managers deciding to intentionally walk someone to get to the pitchers spot, are all part of the National League style of play.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Wrigley
2016 World Champs

vCash: 3495
Quote:

The whole point of the game is a 9 man roster, adding a DH is stupid. Hey, you're a decrepit piece of **** that can't field so we will extend your career by letting you only hit. When it comes to pitchers batting, It's the way the game was meant to be played. Pinch hitting, double switches, Tony LaRussas decisions to use the pitcher in the 8 spot, and managers deciding to intentionally walk someone to get to the pitchers spot, are all part of the National League style of play.
Exactly. I'm glad someone else gets it.

It's better to burn out than to fade away / My National League: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Tom Seaver, Greg Maddux, Mike Schmidt, Joe Morgan, Albert Pujols, Roberto Clemente, Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson
Old
09-27-2013, 08:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
Bull****

Having the DH adds zero strategy to making pitcher decisions
I'm not saying it adds, I'm saying pitchers hitting makes it so managers have the decision made for them.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
ColdSteel2

I like the strategy involved with not having the DH and would prefer the NL not to have it. However, it must be implemented at this point because of interleague play. Now you have interleague games during the final week of the season and it is just ridiculous that your season could go down the drain because the team in the other league has Ortiz in the lineup and you have a utility OF.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
ColdSteel2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
That Mariano Rivera moment was really touching. Baseball is a special game. I understand people may not like the farewell tours and the long goodbyes, but that was unbelievable. He is a man's man. What a legend.
I don't think I have ever seen anyone embrace and enjoy every second of the attention his farwell tour brought to him like Mariano Rivera. Great pitcher, amazing career, he deserves it, but I'm with Pettitte on this one that maybe it has been a little much. But it is definitely what Mo wanted and he deserves it so let him soak it in.

Speaking of Pettitte, looks like he has been getting haircuts from a veg-o-matic a la Rick Vaughn:

Old
09-27-2013, 08:56 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

The game evolves. Hockey used to play with 6 a side. Football players used to play both sides of the ball. Why do people want baseball to stay in the dark ages?

Old
09-27-2013, 08:59 AM
ColdSteel2

Looks like Rivera is going to play center field in one of the games in Houston.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-play-outfield

Old
09-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:

And football was meant to be played without the forward pass. Tradition does not equal good.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Wrigley
2016 World Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I like the strategy involved with not having the DH and would prefer the NL not to have it. However, it must be implemented at this point because of interleague play. Now you have interleague games during the final week of the season and it is just ridiculous that your season could go down the drain because the team in the other league has Ortiz in the lineup and you have a utility OF.
The final week of the season should be divisional play, not interleague. BoSox vs Yanks etc..

Old
09-27-2013, 09:51 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
The final week of the season should be divisional play, not interleague. BoSox vs Yanks etc..
Explain how you do that with 15 teams in each league.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Wrigley
2016 World Champs

Quote:
Explain how you do that with 15 teams in each league.
You take the 2 worst teams in each league the season before and you have them play each other in consecutive series, not at the same time. This would result in 14 teams in each league not involved in these series during the last week of the season. Next year I would take the Astros and the White Sox in the AL and the Marlins and the Cubs in the NL. First half of the week: Astros vs Marlins. Second half of the week: Our local Crosstown Classic. It would also help boost the Chicago gates at a slow time of the season.

Yes, there is a little bit of interleague play, but it does not involve wild card teams. Have a great weekend, guys!

Old
09-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Illinihockey

Minnesota not doing the Cubs any favors, 2-8 in their last 10, lost 3 in a row. Cubs may have to lose out to get the 4th pick. Indians need every game and Minnesota is in tank mode.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Illinihockey

Interleague play is stupid without unified rules

Old
09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Illinihockey

@dan_bernstein: I'm told the #Cubs have been informed by Joe Girardi's camp that he will listen if they want to talk. Indeed they do.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

Yaya Toure is a beast.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:01 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Going hard on NIU this morning over the Fightin' Murrays of West Lafayette.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:10 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

And Villa are level!

Old
09-28-2013, 10:13 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Well that didn't last long.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

Quote:
Well that didn't last long.
Aston Villa don't deserve to be level anyway. Totally outclassed.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Illinihockey

Terrible goal to concede by west brom

Closed Thread