HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXI - Baseball...we survived!

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2013, 01:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Welington was much better than Navarro last year, too. That's why he started.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:47 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The 2 hole is for your best hitter. It's not a position to give up a free out, aka part of the reason why Dusty got fired.

Navarro will get more money and a maybe a starting job somewhere else. You can't spend a **** ton of money on a backup catcher. A backup catcher is not a key piece. Being impactful offensively on last year's team is hardly an achievement.
Other than the Rays, nobody does that. I know Baseball prospectus says you should do it, but it isn't happening, period.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:49 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Welington was much better than Navarro last year, too. That's why he started.
Not offensively and it's not even close. He's better on defense. That's why he started.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Also, sounds like one of your 'good guys' is doing the same ****ing now.

http://indiana.247sports.com/Board/1...unt-21885120/1

Groce is scum, you just said it yourself.
I am glad you brought this up.

As it turns out, two recent transfers have conditional scholarships from what I have heard. They are locked in a the program and can stay even if they aren't given the full-ride scholarship. And Groce is still active in recruiting in 2014... for one guy. That's Cliff Alexander, the #2 player in the nation that dropped Indiana like a dirty shirt. Only if Cliff picks U of I over Kansas, the favorite, does Groce have to tell a transfer that he is not getting extended a full-ride scholarship. That is way more ethical and responsible than just cutting guys and going way overboard with promises. Indiana fans can try to slam JFG with potentials that aren't even terrible, and Illini fans can slam Crean for things that have actually happened.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 10-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old
10-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Cullksinikers

"We can count." -John Groce

He knows more about his program than what the general public's would-be insight/knowledge.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:58 PM
GGGHawks18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I am glad you brought this up.

As it turns out, two recent transfers have conditional scholarships from what I have heard. They are locked in a the program and can stay even if they aren't given the full-ride scholarship. And Groce is still active in recruiting in 2014... for one guy. That's Cliff Alexander, the #2 plager in the nation that dropped Indiana like a dirty shirt. Only if Cliff picks U of I over Kansas, the favorite, does Groce have to tell a transfer that he is not getting extended a full-ride. That is way more ethical and responsible than just cutting guys and going way overboard with promise. Indiana fans can try to slam JFG with potentials that aren't even terrible, and Illini fans can slam Crean for things that have actually happened.
Great post. This is so true. I've been really impressed with JFG with last years team and so far in recruiting.

IU, you cannot call JFG scum when Tom Crean is the coach at IU

Old
10-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Cullksinikers

Sorry about all the errors in that post (from my phone).

Thanks, GGGH, for also seeing the light.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:04 PM
RayP

If I didn't know anything about college hoops other than what I see posted here, Cullk would have me convinced that the Illini have been nothing but a top 3 team the last 5 years, and have only set themselves up for an even better future.

Didn't they barely make the tourney last year?

Old
10-04-2013, 02:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Not offensively and it's not even close. He's better on defense. That's why he started.
The fangraphs offensive rating has them at 2.5 and 1.8 with Castillo being the lesser. He wasn't that impactful. And I'd argue that part of the reason why he was so good was because he got to come off the bench and get favorable matchups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Other than the Rays, nobody does that. I know Baseball prospectus says you should do it, but it isn't happening, period.
Oh, a team that is consistently competing with a terrible payroll does it and it's bad?! Oh lord!

The Dodgers, Padres, Angels, A's, and maybe some other teams did it, too. That was somewhat time consuming to look up.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
If I didn't know anything about college hoops other than what I see posted here, Cullk would have me convinced that the Illini have been nothing but a top 3 team the last 5 years, and have only set themselves up for an even better future.

Well they're getting the #2 player in the country because he "wants to play in front of his parents", who I assume live 3 hours away from U of I, so you better get ready to see multiple championships soon.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:

Bruce Weber was an awful coach that had major success one year (2005) off the coat tails of Bill Self, head coach of Kansas with a National Championship to his name (2008). Groce took Weber's team that couldn't make the tournament and barely any previous influence and nearly defeated a top-eight team in the country in the NCAA Tournament.

With Groce's influence, the currently seventh-best recruiting class in the nation for 2014 even without the potential addition of Cliff Alexander, the second best player in the country, added to the equation, the serious potential for an even more potent and dynamite class in 2015, and his philosophy and full influence with ever player on the team for the coming years, Illinois is one of the teams on the rise.

Are they going to make the tournament this year? Yes, but they won't go too far. I'm a realist. Starting next year, the Illini will catch the eyes of many people and be a definite force to be reckoned with in the Big Ten and in the tournament.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
Well they're getting the #2 player in the country because he "wants to play in front of his parents", who I assume live 3 hours away from U of I, so you better get ready to see multiple championships soon.
No, Cliff Alexander is probably going to Kansas. He's actually in Lawrence right now for a scheduled visit. Jerrance Howard and Bill Self will probably get him to go there. Previously, I listed that closer to proximity to home is a positive for Illinois versus Kansas in the recruitment of Cliff.

Groce getting Illinois in the final eight for Jahlil Okafor and the final six (likely final two or three) for Cliff Alexander in his real first full year of being the head of the U of I basketball program is incredibly impressive. Doral Moore, Carlton Bragg, Jalen Brunson, D.J. Williams, Charles Matthews, Diamond Stone, Elijah Thomas, Eric Davis, and Prince Ali are all heavily considering the Illini for 2015. That's a couple years away, but you can be excited at the prospect of Leron Black and Quentin Snider right now. Anyone who thought Groce could do what he's done so quickly is a liar. He has been way better than anyone could have imagined. His next step is to take these recruiting classes he has and will get and turn it into actual success on the court. Based on taking Weber's team to a very respectable height for the talent, er, lack of talent, on that team past the first round of the tournament leads me to believe that with better talent and talent specifically recruited to fit his style of play, which is defensively-sound, hard-working, and up-and-down play, will lead to a lot of success in the coming years. Groce is a bad man. He's the one who had major influence in getting Daequan Cook, David Lighty, Greg Oden, and Mike Conley Jr. to Columbus, Ohio for Thad Matta.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:11 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Not worth getting in a pissing match here, but in the end:
Crean does something - is a tool.
Groce does the same thing to catch up - it's all fine and dandy.

Yeah, that makes a whole lotta sense...

And you're off your rocker if you don't think education is part of Crean's emphasis and recruitment plan. You wanna nitpick one thing you don't like (something basically everyone does) but overlook the parts that don't fit your argument.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Watching the Wolves on the tube.... man, the drop down from HD to SD hockey is a lot more pronounced than the jump up from SD to HD....

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
10-04-2013, 08:59 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Sean Johnson is keeping the Fire in this game single handedly

Old
10-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:

No, they were a 7 seed

Old
10-05-2013, 10:52 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Here's hoping we don't get crushed by Nebraska today. Know it's a bit of a down year for them, but I'd expect more from a down Nebraska than a slightly up Illinois.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Here's hoping we don't get crushed by Nebraska today. Know it's a bit of a down year for them, but I'd expect more from a down Nebraska than a slightly up Illinois.
Nebraska fan here, you never know which Nebraska team shows up. Taylor is a turnover machine i expect a high scoring close game. Good Luck!

Secondly i really hope Northwestern beats Ohio State today! Go Wildcats!

Old
10-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Secondly i really hope Northwestern beats Ohio State today! Go Wildcats!
Yeeeeeeeah! Go U, NU!

Old
10-05-2013, 01:07 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
No, they were a 7 seed
Oh, for some reason I was remembering a bunch of panic in this thread before selection sunday about if they were going to make it, and needing a big B10 Tourney to assure a spot.

Old
10-05-2013, 03:21 PM
KrejciMVP

For some reason I like this video by Miley Cyrus. What would Jordan think? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbEoRnaOIbs

Old
10-05-2013, 04:21 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Hoosiers lay the smack on Penn St. :rock:

NIU up by just 4 at the half on Kent St. Need a better 2nd half to cover the 8.

Old
10-05-2013, 04:45 PM
RayP

Quote:
The Georgia State football team was founded in 2010. This Saturday they will play @ Alabama for the 2nd time in their existence.

Poor souls.
They got smoked, but the Georgia State Panthers covered in Alabama. Spread was 54, final score was 45-3.

That's gotta count for something, right?

Old
10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Ohio State with the miracle cover

Old
10-06-2013, 09:10 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
This Norwich - Chelsea game is a fantastic watch.

Closed Thread