HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark Stuart Jets at trade deadline

Old
09-01-2013, 03:33 AM
robertguess2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Mark Stuart Jets at trade deadline

Have been interested for awhile in making a move for Mark Stuart alternate captain and shut down lh d for the jets. Reason is I am Tampa fan. He was a roommate at one point with Nate Thompson and now is brother in law. Know he has been in Tampa so assume he likes it here.

This is last year of contract what would it cost at/around the deadline to pick him up if you were not resigning him to another contract during the season?

Thank you.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 04:13 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Have been interested for awhile in making a move for Mark Stuart alternate captain and shut down lh d for the jets. Reason is I am Tampa fan. He was a roommate at one point with Nate Thompson and now is brother in law. Know he has been in Tampa so assume he likes it here.

This is last year of contract what would it cost at/around the deadline to pick him up if you were not resigning him to another contract during the season?

Thank you.
Not a lot. The guy is a decent bottom pairing guy, but you do not want to send him up the depth chart what so ever. He can hit and stuff, but outside of that he's pretty crappy.

I don't see him being re-signed by the jets regardless. Maybe a third rounder in value? Maybe?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 04:13 AM
nmbr_24

He's a bottom pairing defender who is a stay at home type. The Jets seem to be filled with offensive guys and they may want to keep him because he is a stay at home type and he provides leadership. Wasn't he captain of a gold medal team USA juniors?

I really have no idea but it may cost more than he is a actually worth.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 04:40 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Not a lot. The guy is a decent bottom pairing guy, but you do not want to send him up the depth chart what so ever. He can hit and stuff, but outside of that he's pretty crappy.

I don't see him being re-signed by the jets regardless. Maybe a third rounder in value? Maybe?
We have Gudas I would like someone to pair with him on Penalty kill. We have plenty of prospects with high end potential to be even top 3-4 guys but no real shut downs besides korobov who I think needs another year at least of seasoning and thought mark was better as an agitator and still has a few more good years in his role.

We have salo playing top line and injuries are likely. We have brewer in bottom and unless rebounds even though hits like mark he was useless and bad last year. He is not good on pk at all and cant seem to find right mixture of another guy for him where he doesnt hurt the other guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
He's a bottom pairing defender who is a stay at home type. The Jets seem to be filled with offensive guys and they may want to keep him because he is a stay at home type and he provides leadership. Wasn't he captain of a gold medal team USA juniors?

I really have no idea but it may cost more than he is a actually worth.
Dont see Stevie paying too much. Even though is a need for us in my opinion. I think we have like 2.5 in cap space after a couple of moves after camp. Meaning is going to be some kids who get waived on other teams who have played 5-6 roles but look close to ready to move up to top 4 we could get on cheap. I really believe that happens. So if stay injury free we basically have 7 defenders already for at least some limited minutes and until we decide have enough offensive fire power with the kids growing up we are not going to trade a teddy purcell and a prospect for a top four and have to overpay for anyone right now. We have Dmitry Korobov Andrej Sustr and Matt Taormina and Slater Koekkoek who could spell limited time in case of injuries and the three behind Korobov all have offensive upside. Slater is overall best prospect but is coming off shoulder injury which put his development down for a year. 8th pick overall 2 years ago I think it was. Matt Taormina besides being undersized has played almost a full year in New Jersey.

We are better off defensively honestly than I give us credit for I just like going slow route with D guys.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 09-01-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old
09-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Would love mark back on the Bs, but we simply don't need him. Him and McQuaid are basically the same player but McQuaid is younger and cheaper..and definitely can't have both in your top three pairs at the start of a season.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Benji Frank

i'm not sure he'd be much more then a throw in.

He's a guy who gives everything he's got. I think Chipman, Chevy, Thompsen and zinger really like him. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave him a couple of years at $1-$1.5M per to be a 6-7 d-man and then started nudging him towards an assistant coaching role or scouting role somewhere in the organization.....

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Seanahue

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank View Post
i'm not sure he'd be much more then a throw in.

He's a guy who gives everything he's got. I think Chipman, Chevy, Thompsen and zinger really like him. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave him a couple of years at $1-$1.5M per to be a 6-7 d-man and then started nudging him towards an assistant coaching role or scouting role somewhere in the organization.....
That would be my ideal situation. Love the guy. He really isn't more than a 5-6 role but he blocks shots, gives his all every shift, and is a leader in the dressing room (from what I hear).

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:25 PM
hockey-brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
That would be my ideal situation. Love the guy. He really isn't more than a 5-6 role but he blocks shots, gives his all every shift, and is a leader in the dressing room (from what I hear).
He's 29 now, would be 32 after this season and 2 more. I think that's much too young for him to hang them up and coach.

He'd get on elsewhere past 32 I'm sure, has too much heart, soul and grit for someone to everyone to pass him up. I'd love to see him stick around but with the depth on D, can't see him fitting in. Although he does serve a role that others waiting in the wings cannot.

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post
He's 29 now, would be 32 after this season and 2 more. I think that's much too young for him to hang them up and coach.

He'd get on elsewhere past 32 I'm sure, has too much heart, soul and grit for someone to everyone to pass him up. I'd love to see him stick around but with the depth on D, can't see him fitting in. Although he does serve a role that others waiting in the wings cannot.
Trouba and Bogo are both great at shut down with offensive upside.

Stuart isn't needed. What so ever. He fights a bit and he hits, but he is not a good defenseman.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Yup he's no longer needed, we should be in the market for a more talented guy, or better yet find a 2nd pairing LHD and move Clitsome to the #5 spot. No longer need his fighting with Peluso around. He shouldn't be more than a #6 on any team. I wouldn't want him near the 2nd pairing.

That being said he is a character guy and is a fan favorite. If he's going to stick around after this year he'll need a big time pay cut. Only reason he would stick around is because of our lack of LHD in the system. One other thing he's pretty decent at is drawing penalties in scrums. He usually doesn't step over the line, but causes his opponents to.

Some teams do need his physical play, we'd probably give him up for a 3rd or even a 4th. Or package him up as part of something bigger.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 03:08 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 947
I think they could get a second for him depending on the market. Dominic Moore got a second on four occasions iirc, so depth pieces or role players can get that type of return easily.

I'd be happy with him on the bottom pairing again beyond this year. As someone said, you just don't want him on the second pairing - as his minutes go up you really start to see the game get too fast for him and his inability to move the puck causes a lot of trouble. His hitting and overall intensity level is perfect for the bottom pairing though.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
LotteryForLife*

A conditional 7th round pick and a bag of used pucks

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Why do we need another bottom pairing defenceman?

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:19 AM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Why do we need another bottom pairing defenceman?
Physical good pk man to play with gudas. We need another hitter whether is forward or d for playoffs if are in the mix.

We are going to have injuries and I dont feel the kids are going to be ready.

He is alt captain on jets was captain of us team. He is a leader great guy in the clubhouse. Warrior will block shots will hit a ton etc.. is not bad at anything but has no scoring upside unlike a lot of our guys. We have plenty of scorers we are missing another physical d man and a forward who is just a beast a shanahan unless labrie steps up which I really have high hopes for.

He is better than brewer who showed up last year. So what is our penalty killers this year?

I know someone you are going to name who I think will get injured and is not idea for him to be playing any amount of time at it

If you think a guy like sustr can come in and be useful in this regards I have a lot to say about that lol.

Carle Aulie and last years brewer are not good pk guys. Not playoff calibre if you debate that all I can say is wow. Salo if is used to much is likely going to get injured.

Barberio is not ready for that roll. So we have gudas and hedman wheres the second team? Yep can go carle aulie or brewer but only one of them. None are good at it to be honest or acceptable to me. Not the brewer I saw last year. Not the Carle I have ever watched. I have hopes for aulie but he needs a lot more time imo.

So get a guy who can step into that roll and perform and carry another that would be a good move.

You can say Korobov who is more physical but not ready for those minutes either.

Is not about having a lower pairing guy is about our atrociousness of d in regards to penalty killing.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
To me... it's very Dennis Seidenberg-like. I could see that type of return that DS got when he was going UFA.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
To me... it's very Dennis Seidenberg-like. I could see that type of return that DS got when he was going UFA.
Seidenberg is twice the d man Stuart is right now, so I don't see that at all.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Physical good pk man to play with gudas. We need another hitter whether is forward or d for playoffs if are in the mix.

He is alt captain on jets was captain of us team. He is a leader great guy in the clubhouse. Warrior will block shots will hit a ton etc.. is not bad at anything but has no scoring upside unlike a lot of our guys. We have plenty of scorers we are missing another physical d man and a forward who is just a beast a shanahan unless labrie steps up which I really have high hopes for.

He is better than brewer who showed up last year. So what is our penalty killers this year?

I know someone you are going to name who I think will get injured and is not idea for him to be playing any amount of time at it

If you think a guy like sustr can come in and be useful in this regards I have a lot to say about that lol.

Carle Aulie and last years brewer are not good pk guys. Not playoff calibre if you debate that all I can say is wow. Salo if is used to much is likely going to get injured.

Barberio is not ready for that roll. So we have gudas and hedman wheres the second team? Yep can go carle aulie or brewer but only one of them. None are good at it to be honest or acceptable to me. Not the brewer I saw last year. Not the Carle I have ever watched. I have hopes for aulie but he needs a lot more time imo.

So get a guy who can step into that roll and perform and carry another that would be a good move.

You can say Korobov who is more physical but not ready for those minutes either.

Is not about having a lower pairing guy is about our atrociousness of d in regards to penalty killing.
I dont think you're getting it...

You can't play Mark Stuart out of the bottom pairing because he sucks at it. He's not even that good at the bottom pairing. Any player that you currently have...is an upgrade on Stuart.

Old
09-02-2013, 12:16 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

IAW sully, there's a reason Stuart was a healthy scratch in Boston.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:

Carle and Brewer improved under Cooper. Give them some time under Cooper before throwing them under the bus. There are many defencemen available who can hit, but have poor hockey IQ/slow. Murray and Fistric were available as FA this offseason but we passed on them, why would we now pay with assets?

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Jeff Gorton former Bruins GM now Rangers Assistant GM had him on the Bruins..

Stuart to Rangers
Boyle and conditional 4th to Jets. the condition is if Boyle doesnt resign with Jets

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:42 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Jeff Gorton former Bruins GM now Rangers Assistant GM had him on the Bruins..

Stuart to Rangers
Boyle and conditional 4th to Jets. the condition is if Boyle doesnt resign with Jets
Boyle was -13, worst on the Rangers. Jets current 4th-line center, Jim Slater, was -3 despite taking a lot of face-offs in the D zone. He is very good at faceoffs. At centre, the Jets already have...
  • Jokinen
  • Little
  • Scheifele
  • Slater
  • Wright
And O'Dell had an impressive 2012-2013 season in the AHL, and could be competing for a slot during training camp. If nothing else, he's probably a competent injury callup. Executive summary... Jets do not need another 4th-line centre.

knorthern knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:45 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Pretty sure Boyle is more of a 3rd line center, but I still don't think we need him.

Old
09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Carle and Brewer improved under Cooper. Give them some time under Cooper before throwing them under the bus. There are many defencemen available who can hit, but have poor hockey IQ/slow. Murray and Fistric were available as FA this offseason but we passed on them, why would we now pay with assets?
That is why the trade deadline thing. I havent seen a ton of Stuart. Why brought this up I can basically go on a few games and his stats. I know he is ex roommate and now brother in law to thompson. I was not sure if he is a warrior or his worth.

This is why the whole thing and put this out there

Guess he is less of player than I had knowledge of.

I pray on brewer and malone having come backs lol. Is a true hope that was a lot to do with the long lay off etc.. and both bounce back to be similar to three years ago when I thought that had a lot more worth