HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dan Cleary PTO with Detroit Red Wings

Old
09-05-2013, 02:40 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Dan Cleary PTO with Detroit Red Wings

Despite the pleas of most of the fan-base and 16 forwards under contract it appears Cleary's desire to stay in Detroit and maybe lack of opportunities he likes elsewhere will see him in Traverse City, MI for Red Wings camp.

Quote:
For now, Cleary will skate with the Wings at the Joe. General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press Cleary is welcome in Traverse City on a PTO. Players, meanwhile, are banking that Cleary soon will be a teammate again.
http://www.freep.com/article/2013090...S05/309050103/

I really thought he would wind up somewhere else, surprised he is willing to just do a PTO. There would have to be depth movement in trades likely to accommodate him in terms of the Wings should he make a strong case, or perhaps another team will step in with a permanent deal for him at some point through camp.

Follows the trend of some of these guys now beginning to see the writing on the wall and the limited rosters and cap space around the league.

Any other fan-bases have interest in this guy on something more permanent?

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Crymson

vCash: 500
He'll get a contract only if there are numerous injuries in training camp, as there's simply going to be no space on the roster otherwise. Even then he'll stand no chance of permanently supplanting anyone, barring an amazing performance.

Crymson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:45 PM
caley

I wonder if they kinda have a wink-wink nudge-nudge deal with Cleary, then in camp they'll put some guys on waivers like Cory Emmerton, maybe Jordin Tootoo, even Mikael Samuelsson and see if anyone bites and if they do, then they'll have the roster space to add another player.

09-05-2013, 02:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I wonder if they kinda have a wink-wink nudge-nudge deal with Cleary, then in camp they'll put some guys on waivers like Cory Emmerton, maybe Jordin Tootoo, even Mikael Samuelsson and see if anyone bites and if they do, then they'll have the roster space to add another player.
I don't think Emmerton will be waived. His status would have to be greatly impacted by a terrific camp from one of Sheahan, Ferraro, and Glendening. This would be coupled with a strong camp from Helm and a firm bill of health from out trainers.

Emmerton makes almost the league minimum and he provides center cover with the status of Helm up in the air. He also isn't a bad press box extra forward. I don't think he is the guy they are looking to move. Eaves, Tootoo and Sammy are guys they would probably like to push out. Some have even suggested they could use a regular buyout on Samuelsson if they are okay with where the cap projections are going next year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:01 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I don't think Emmerton will be waived. His status would have to be greatly impacted by a terrific camp from one of Sheahan, Ferraro, and Glendening. This would be coupled with a strong camp from Helm and a firm bill of health from out trainers.

Emmerton makes almost the league minimum and he provides center cover with the status of Helm up in the air. He also isn't a bad press box extra forward. I don't think he is the guy they are looking to move. Eaves, Tootoo and Sammy are guys they would probably like to push out. Some have even suggested they could use a regular buyout on Samuelsson if they are okay with where the cap projections are going next year.
Sammy is 3 million for this his last year.

Says is fully healthy so if can play at just under half a point a game he is a good addition for that to me. Tootoo has a good contract too.

Helm think takes a couple months off still and can put him ltir and use his cap if we like.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 09-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.
robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:02 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
the problem with this scenario is

every name you listed would not start on the wings Opening day 18 if everybody is healthy after training camp. And you still have Todd Bertuzzi on the outside looking in. Infact, the only name on that list with a chance of playing every day is Sameulsson, and thats a stretch.

They need to clear 2 bodies just to get to the NHL mandated 23. They would have to clear 3 to add Cleary. Nevermind making a room on the roster to play him. Hes not going to sign here and be a depth forward for 750k.

His time has come and gone in Detroit.

X8oD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Giving him a PTO at this point is more professional courtesy than anything.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan

So this means the Wings will waive one player, send Nyquist and Dekeyser to Grand Rapids. And that waived player will also be in Grand Rapids, I'll go with Tootoo.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:18 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

if he makes the team who gets number 11?

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Crosbylsmalkin

but they already gave his number to Alfie.

Crosbylsmalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:21 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
So this means the Wings will waive one player, send Nyquist and Dekeyser to Grand Rapids. And that waived player will also be in Grand Rapids, I'll go with Tootoo.
They won't send Dekeyser down, that makes no sense because they would only have 6 d-men.

Don't think cleary will be back, don't think he even has accepted the invite yet.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:10 PM
WTFMAN99

I'd do Liles for Eaves and Tootoo.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
EbonyRaptor

I would love for the Hawks to pick up Cleary - I'm a big fan. But he would have to sign for cheap and for 1 year so the odds are slim and none. Would love to have his gritty game to replace that kind of character we lost in Bolland. Always played the thorn in the side role pretty well against the Hawks.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Despite the pleas of most of the fan-base and 16 forwards under contract it appears Cleary's desire to stay in Detroit and maybe lack of opportunities he likes elsewhere will see him in Traverse City, MI for Red Wings camp.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013090...S05/309050103/

I really thought he would wind up somewhere else, surprised he is willing to just do a PTO. There would have to be depth movement in trades likely to accommodate him in terms of the Wings should he make a strong case, or perhaps another team will step in with a permanent deal for him at some point through camp.

Follows the trend of some of these guys now beginning to see the writing on the wall and the limited rosters and cap space around the league.

Any other fan-bases have interest in this guy on something more permanent?
It's one of the worst kept secrets in the league. The PTO part of it is just a way around a few things. Cleary will be in Detroit and we'll have all the people whining about it. He wants to be there and the team wants him. Just have to move a few bodies.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Osgood As It Gets
23 Straight Years

vCash: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I'd do Liles for Eaves and Tootoo.
You would, the Red Wings wouldn't

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:23 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I would love for the Hawks to pick up Cleary - I'm a big fan. But he would have to sign for cheap and for 1 year so the odds are slim and none. Would love to have his gritty game to replace that kind of character we lost in Bolland. Always played the thorn in the side role pretty well against the Hawks.
Right now, I don't think he has a choice if he wants to play in the NHL this year.

SoupNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Jurky
I heart Tats

From the Wings board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 52 s
Daniel Cleary said he has offers from some teams. Will make decision by Sunday. Wants to sign with Wings but they don't have room.

https://twitter.com/wingsfrontman/st...05912886251520

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1 min
Cleary said he is not going to Wings camp on a tryout. Would only go with signed contract. That's not likely to happen.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:25 PM
THW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
From the Wings board:
YAY!

THW is offline   Reply With Quote