HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CHI] Corey Crawford Signs Extension (6 years, $6M AAV)

Old
09-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Rask: 8 years at 7.0 per
Rinne: 7 years at 7.0 per
Price: 6 years at 6.5 per
Quick: 10 years at 5.8 per (old CBA contract, first seven years pay him 7.0)
Smith: 6 years at 5.666 per
Howard: 6 years at 5.3 per

Recent UFA goalie contracts.
All of those guys except for Smith are better than Crawford.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

vCash: 500
This is a good contract...for the Kings.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just to get it all together.

Hawks need stability in net, that's why they should go with unproven Raanta in 1 year and washed up UFA signing.
Crawford just won the Cup while winning the Jennings in the RS and he had POs that should have ended with the Conn Smythe (thanks to no clear cut winner).
This year, he may end up with another Jennings season, could get Vezina consideration (if he plays like last year again) could have another great POs and could win Gold as Team Canadas starter.

Don't you think this is possible?

What would he get/want if he wins Gold, another Jennings and plays good POs again on the same team that has won the Cup and only really lost 2 4th Liners?
We've seen a Cup winning goalie leave before, had luck to find another one (who was available without trade and gutting our roster) and should hope this again while being contenders and favorites as long as this contract runs?
Hawks have to keep him and he played like a 6 mio Goalie last year. He didn't in 11/12 for sure but he did in 10/11 and 12/13 when he carried us more than once...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Paul4587

Crawford was solid in the Hawks cup run but did have some questionable moments (a few soft goals against Detroit come to mind) and I think you could have replaced him with a dozen other goalies in the league and the Hawks still win the cup.

Overall it's a slight overpayment in terms of cap hit and a definite overpayment in terms of length IMO.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:23 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Holy **** that is a steep cap hit, was expecting more around 4-4.5. Hopefully he keeps up his good play.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:24 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
He just won the cup and won the Jennings with Emery.

Don't see how this is a bad deal. Yet when Rask signed his major deal without winning the cup everyone thought it was amazing.
Lol what? Definitely not. People were pretty critical of that contract too, not as much as Crawford but it still got its fair share.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:30 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Absolutely terrible contract.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:15 AM
aguynamedjoe

I can see this seeming like overpayment (by about 1m give or take) right now, even though I don't think it's terrible. The goalie position is a mental game, and regardless of the team in front of them, a guy either has the mentality to thrive or crash in clutch time. Crow had an outstanding playoffs and won the cup. There's a value to that. The 'hawks are poised to have a very good team for another couple years (at least) which will continue to help him look good, gain more confidence, and keep sustaining the elevated play we saw in the POs.

The big thing I'm not seeing anyone note is that it's pretty much a given that the cap will be going up. Which means goalie contracts are going to be going up. If Crow puts up another solid few years (and, dare I say, make another cup run or two?) 6 mil in 2016-2020 is going to look like an absolute stroke of genius by Bowman.

Then again, if he craps the bed ala 2011, it's gonna hurt. But it sounds like everyone here agrees a ham sandwich in net behind this D core could still post a .900, so I don't expect to see that at all.

Last edited by PG Canuck: 09-03-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Fixed wording that can be taken out of context
aguynamedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 03:33 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Ok, I try to not be the person to shoud overpayment on every contract. Hell, I am a Pens fan who tried to be reasonable ebout my comments on the Streit and Lecavalier deals even. That said: This looks like a horrible, horrible contract. I give it two years before the Hawks regret this.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:32 AM
TT1

lotsa moola for a system goalie

TT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:32 AM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Wait for it... wait for it...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...09&postcount=2

And I got laughed at LOL...
Nicely played, how long have you been Crawford's agent? Nice negotiating !

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 05:06 AM
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski

vCash: 50
I think its an overpayment, but I also don't think it's an issue. He was just a major part of a stanley cup win. Even if the next 6 years don't go good, you do have to reward for that, and the Hawks have two cups in the last few years. If any team can give out the bad contract and suffer a few years potentially, it's the Hawks. But if they don't reward a key contributer ot the cup win, it's going to send a bad message to free agents potentially signing there. It would give the organization a bad rep

FlamesFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 05:08 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
lotsa moola for a system goalie
I agree, yet if my team just won the Cup with this guy in net, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:04 AM
SufferingCatFan

It looks like the Hawks are expecting the cap to exceed $80 million fairly soon. If so, $6 million per year wil be fairly standard for a solid goalie. If not, looks like an over payment.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:34 AM
slappipappi

I'm sure all Hawks fans would rather this contract be for less money and less years.

Every time a long term contract is signed, most people here (myself included) say the same.

But the fact of the matter is, Chicago really had two choices, being (1) sign this contract; or (2) let him go UFA at the end of the season and search for a cheaper replacement.

As a UFA Crawford would be able to get this or likely a greater contract. If the cap goes up as projected, all teams will have plenty of money to throw around chasing a dwindling number of UFA's. We saw what happened this year, when the few UFA"s even lab led "just average" received huge contracts. Available money always gets spent, regardless of the quality of UFA's. Look what Smith got based on one good season and he's 3 years older coming off a middling season.

IMO, I'd have let him go rather than sign this contract. But Bowman has done a masterful job managing the cap and the roster for Chicago, so I'll defer to him. If he has inside knowledge the cap is going up quite a bit and fairly quickly (over the next 2 years), this contract starts to look much better.

Bowman is also trying to win more cups. This contract does nothing but help Chicago over the next 2 years.

Chicago has always been very high on Crawford, ever since they drafted him. They likely expect his level of play to remain high, and didn't want to risk what an expected (to them) good season this year would do to his contract if they waited. They were then looking at a Rask type contract.

Chicago also has tons of cheaper prospect options coming up over the next 3 years, as Bowman has continually moved more expensive complimentary players out for extra picks along the way as he continually turns over the roster each year. So Chicago will not be forced to pay aging veterans UFA money to man the 3-4 lines. That's a good place to save money for an elite team.

Last edited by slappipappi: 09-03-2013 at 06:41 AM.
slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:54 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good for Crawford, the length is alright too if you ask me but 6 million is a million to much a season for this guy.

09-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Sakic19Duchene9

A little too much. But at least he's shown he won't break down on the way to the Stanley Cup.

Sakic19Duchene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:29 AM
nycbruins*

The contract I was hoping Tuukka would get. Seems like the goalie market is inflating in front of our eyes

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:40 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Lol at "slightly high".

Also, you are probably not aware, but fans of all 29 teams are laughing at this contract.

You know you're insecure about a bad move your team just made when you have to try to take shots at your two rivals.
You also know that you're a jealous Blues fan when you have to take shots at the Stanley Cup winning Chicago Blackhawks for said bad move. So go ahead, laugh all you want.

Last edited by PG Canuck: 09-03-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Removed unneeded comment
CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:41 AM
eliostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
I think its an overpayment, but I also don't think it's an issue. He was just a major part of a stanley cup win. Even if the next 6 years don't go good, you do have to reward for that, and the Hawks have two cups in the last few years. If any team can give out the bad contract and suffer a few years potentially, it's the Hawks. But if they don't reward a key contributer ot the cup win, it's going to send a bad message to free agents potentially signing there. It would give the organization a bad rep
Do you even follow hockey? they didn't reward major contributors the last time they won the cup. I though the Hawks were smarter than this.

eliostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:42 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

o_O

Wow... that's a whole whack of money for an okay goalie.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Rask: 8 years at 7.0 per
Rinne: 7 years at 7.0 per
Price: 6 years at 6.5 per
Quick: 10 years at 5.8 per (old CBA contract, first seven years pay him 7.0)
Smith: 6 years at 5.666 per
Howard: 6 years at 5.3 per

Recent UFA goalie contracts.
Price was RFA.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:26 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberg Snipes View Post
Why? They won the Cup with friggin Niemi of all goalies in net! What would entice them to a sign an average to above average goalie to a SIX YEAR contract? Quite baffling really.
Because they can. Cap space isn't an issue so I like that we are keeping all of our good players. That's how you have a dynasty in the cap era, get an amazing team and resign them all. Hawks are well on their way.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:58 AM
NYVanfan

i was a doubter, but i don't think you can argue he's earned and is worth this

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 09:00 AM
topnotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Good year (or half year actually) but the year year before was at 2.72 GAA and 0.903 save % over far more games (even more games than this whole season and his playoff run).
And his rookie year was good, with a good showing in the playoffs.

Crawford has had one good rookie year, one poor sophomore year, and a great follow-up 3rd year.

He got paid, and yes it is probably more than he is actually worth by ~1 million. But that's the price of winning the Cup.

As long as this contract doesn't prevent signing Hjalmarsson, it's fine.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote