HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

sabres needs vs. Sabres assets....

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 03:50 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
sabres needs vs. Sabres assets....

First off, lets just assume Satan gets resigned, simply because he will do them alot more good signed that trading him. Now, IMHO, here are Buffalo's biggests needs:

#1. Toughness up front- A capable, physical 2 way foward who can chip in 20-30 goals from the 2nd line and has a great work ethic and some decent wheels. Preferably somewhat young (under 26) with upside.
#2. Toughness on the blueline- If Mckee resigns it would fix the problem immensly, however, i think a tough as nails blueliner who could fit in the 6th/7th spot would do this team a world of good.
#3. Leadership- I'm hoping Buffalo picks up Steve Thomas, because i think he would fill alot of the void on this team. However, a veteran leader who can fill any of the above creditials would be welcome

Assets:

Tim Connolly, Brian Campbell, Curtis Brown, Afinogenov or Dumont. Any draft pick in next years draft. Also, any 2nd tier prospect (i.e Not Vanek, Miller, Roy).

Feel free to make proposals!

Edit: Took McKee out now that he is resigned.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:54 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

John Erskine and Manny Malhotra for Maxim Afinogenov and a 2004 5th.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Reports from camp are that the "old Max" is back after having last year wasted due to the concussion. I have a feeling that the Sabres won't be moving Max, although I like the thought of the Sabres adding Erskine.

But, they already have a log jam on the blueline. Adding Erskine without dealing a defenseman, or even two, would just make that situation worse.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:06 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Reports from camp are that the "old Max" is back after having last year wasted due to the concussion. I have a feeling that the Sabres won't be moving Max, although I like the thought of the Sabres adding Erskine.

But, they already have a log jam on the blueline. Adding Erskine without dealing a defenseman, or even two, would just make that situation worse.
I see.. well what would he cost from the Stars? Or Dumont if you can't trade Af..?

Old
09-24-2003, 04:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I see.. well what would he cost from the Stars? Or Dumont if you can't trade Af..?
With the chemistry of the Hecht-Briere-Dumont line last year I'd be surprised if the Sabres moved Dumont.

And Afinogenov is looking to be getting back to his pre-concussion form so I don't see him getting shopped either.

I could see the Sabres being interested in players like Erskine, Morrow, and Ott. But I don't know if they'd be interested enough to trade Dumont or Afinogenov to get them.

Moving Max or JP certainly won't happen while Satan is still holding out.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:15 AM
FacelessButcher

[QUOTE=mdoak]
#1. Toughness up front- A capable, physical 2 way foward who can chip in 20-30 goals from the 2nd line and has a great work ethic and some decent wheels. Preferably somewhat young (under 26) with upside.
QUOTE]
I think u should of grabbed Todd Marchant when Edmonton put him up for free agency if u needed this kind of player he can score about 20goals a year(depending on his role) and he is not that physical but he has extremely good wheels and work ethic I am sure he would of loved to play in his hometown.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

The Sabres went after Marchant but Columbus gave him more money and guaranteed him a spot on one of their top 2 lines.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:46 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
John Erskine and Manny Malhotra for Maxim Afinogenov and a 2004 5th.
Value wise, not a bad proposal. However, I don't see how Malholtra fits in in Buffalo's picture. They already have Mair and Begin. What would it take to pry Morrow out of Dallas?

How about:

To Dallas: McKee
To Buffalo: Morrow, Erskine

Help fill the void left by Hatcher, even if just a little.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Value wise, not a bad proposal. However, I don't see how Malholtra fits in in Buffalo's picture. They already have Mair and Begin. What would it take to pry Morrow out of Dallas?

How about:

To Dallas: McKee
To Buffalo: Morrow, Erskine

Help fill the void left by Hatcher, even if just a little.
Morrow is the Stars future on offense, you would not get him for a defenseman, disregarding his talents.

Not only that, but I feel Morrow is quite a bit more valueble then McKee, adding in Erskine only makes it worse.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
First off, lets just assume Satan gets resigned, simply because he will do them alot more good signed that trading him. Now, IMHO, here are Buffalo's biggests needs:

Parrish +2nd for Mckee

or

Parrish+Papineau for McKee

Sabres get Parrish a 25/26 yr old, who's scored 24,25,17,30 and 23 goals in his first 5 seasons and cheap,soft, skilled prospect in Papineau.

Isles get a Mckee a quality young blueliner,who let's them move Aucoin (or Jonsson) and 1-2 of the forward prospects for a more established 1st line winger.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

I wouldn't call Parrish a tough two way forward though.

Parrish seems redundant when the Sabres already have guys like Kotalik, Dumont, and Afinogenov in the mix.

What about a deal that centers around McKee for Scatchard?

Old
09-24-2003, 05:32 AM
messy_eh

Maybe a potential 3 way deal by trading with 2 teams that wouldn't normally trade with each other. Of course Buffalo wouldn't let them in on it. here is what i am thinking

Buf - Mike Comrie, Brad Isbister
Edm - Tim Connolly, Brian Campbell, Mika Noorenen

then buffalo flips Comrie

Buf - Denis Gauthier, 2nd rd pick
Cal - Mike Comrie

there is no way edmonton and Calgary trade with each other but Calgary could use a guy like comrie, and edmonton needs some defense this is probably to complex to work or happen but just an idea

Old
09-24-2003, 05:38 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander
Maybe a potential 3 way deal by trading with 2 teams that wouldn't normally trade with each other. Of course Buffalo wouldn't let them in on it. here is what i am thinking

Cal - Mike Comrie

there is no way edmonton and Calgary trade with each other but Calgary could use a guy like comrie, and edmonton needs some defense this is probably to complex to work or happen but just an idea
The Edmonton-Calgary rivalry has cooled down a lot(we hate Dallas and Vancouver a whole lot more) I would not completely rule out a trade straight across if the offer was good enough

Old
09-24-2003, 05:54 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

well you would have to look around the NHL to find a player that matches the skillset and age you require. Lets see,

well the oilers probably do make a good fit as they have a plethora of young wingers. I am sure the sabres could make a deal to land Jani Rita (granted he is unproven but with upside) Edmonton needs a puck carrying defensemen to round out its top 6.

Philly has Radovan Somik

Tampa has Ruslan Fedotenko

the canes jaroslav svoboda

the panthers have a few guys, but the one I like the most is Mikael Samuelsson. But perhaps hard to pry away as he was part of Fluery deal with pitt.

Nashville's Adam Hall has a nice game.

So there are a few wingers with decent size and age to fit the sabres needs. They aren't going to land an all star, but if they give one of these guys the ice time, perhaps they can make one.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

plenty of teams are trying to pickup defensemen.....You could easily do separate trades.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:32 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I wouldn't call Parrish a tough two way forward though.

Parrish seems redundant when the Sabres already have guys like Kotalik, Dumont, and Afinogenov in the mix.

What about a deal that centers around McKee for Scatchard?

Almost all of Parrish's goals come from standing in front of the opposing net,taking a physical beating, looking for rebounds and deflections.

Neither Dumont or Mad Max play the physical game Parrish does.I don't know enough about Kotalik's style of play to comment on him.

and I thought about Scatchard for Mckee before offering Parrish but Parrish is a more established scorer,which is what I thought the Sabres would want.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:20 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
and I thought about Scatchard for Mckee before offering Parrish but Parrish is a more established scorer,which is what I thought the Sabres would want.
I'm pretty sure that once Satan signs the Sabres will be quite happy to start the year with a top 6 of:

Kotalik-Drury-Satan
Hecht-Briere-Dumont

Scatchard fits everything they would be looking for to upgrade their 3rd line as he has a solid size, grit, leadership, and skill mix and a reasonable salary to boot.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:40 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that once Satan signs the Sabres will be quite happy to start the year with a top 6 of:

Kotalik-Drury-Satan
Hecht-Briere-Dumont

Scatchard fits everything they would be looking for to upgrade their 3rd line as he has a solid size, grit, leadership, and skill mix and a reasonable salary to boot.
But Buffalo already has Brown and Mair who can fill the third line center slot, not to mention Connolly who, in theory, could be a decent 2nd line center. I like Scatchard, but I don't think he really addresses any pressing needs, espically enough to trade McKee for.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Mizral

Quote:

#2. Toughness on the blueline- If Mckee resigns it would fix the problem immensly, however, i think a tough as nails blueliner who could fit in the 6th/7th spot would do this team a world of good.
#3. Leadership- I'm hoping Buffalo picks up Steve Thomas, because i think he would fill alot of the void on this team. However, a veteran leader who can fill any of the above creditials would be welcome

Assets:

Tim Connolly, Brian Campbell, Jay McKee (must bring tough #3-#4 blueliner back) Curtis Brown, Afinogenov or Dumont. Any draft pick in next years draft. Also, any 2nd tier prospect (i.e Not Vanek, Miller, Roy).

Why are the Sabres, if they need Leadership, looking to trade Curtis Brown..? Isn't he their captain?

Here's a couple proposals:

Bryan Allen for Jay McKee (RFA). An unsigned McKee is worth less than he should be, and I don't think his value is off the charts. The Canucks are 'going for it', and Allen, whom is coveted by Regeir, would add instant toughness to the Sabres blueline. Allen is 6'5, 225 or so, and is quite punishing physically. The Canucks risk getting softer on the blueline here, but with Sami Salo really playing tough in camp, perhaps they can afford to move Allen for some help *now* to win the cup.

Problems with the above: Buffalo fans might not feel enough is coming back, but that's up to debate. Can the Canucks afford McKee's contract demands?

JP Dumont for RJ Umberger (RFA). Umberger, #16 overall pick in the '01 draft class can't seem to ink a contract, and Burke is sounding like he is really PO'd with his demands. When Burke gets like this, he often stays very stubborn. Rather than see Umberger wilt away another year in the NCAA & not play pro hockey, perhaps a trade? Dumont would add instant scoring punch to the Canucks and create a happy dilemna for Crawford - every night he'd have to choose to scratch Ruutu or May.

Problems with the above: Regeir may not like Umberger, Umberger is big but is by no means aggresive with his size (he gets the Daze comparison). Can the Sabres continue to wait for young players to develop? Does Burke want to add an underacheiving forward?

(The below is just for fun, don't get too uppity!)

Matt Cooke, Kirill Koltsov, and the Canucks' 1st round pick for Miro Satan. Cooker adds toughness, leadership, and a whole wack of other abilities that the Sabres desperatly need. He's ULTRA cheap too. Koltsov is the Canucks' highest potential prospect, put up great numbers in the RSL. Satan instantly brings a ton of credibility to the Canucks 2nd line.

Problems: Sabres lose top scorer (albiet an unsigned one). Canucks would likely have to add $4 million in salary. Burke no likey salary raises.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
But Buffalo already has Brown and Mair who can fill the third line center slot, not to mention Connolly who, in theory, could be a decent 2nd line center. I like Scatchard, but I don't think he really addresses any pressing needs, espically enough to trade McKee for.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=13912

Maybe we should stop talking about dealing McKee........

But I still think Scatchard would address the needs that Regier has expressed for the teams 3rd/4th lines.

They want to get grittier in that area and Scatchard would certainly bring that to the table in spades along with leadership abilities.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:58 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander

Cal - Mike Comrie
Not a bad idea, However, i think there are some flaws here. #1. If Buffalo trades Noronen, my bet is that they will want a veteran goalie to back up Biron and let Miller develop in the minors, because i really don't think he's ready for his coming out party yet. Maybe a better idea is a Salo for Biron swap.

To Edmonton: Salo, Isbister
To Buffalo: McKee, Biron.

Too much? Not enough? Thoughts?

Old
09-24-2003, 08:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Bryan Allen for Jay McKee (RFA). An unsigned McKee is worth less than he should be, and I don't think his value is off the charts.
Does McKee's trade value go up now that he's signed?

Old
09-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Does McKee's trade value go up now that he's signed?
Yep, it does. I would offer more for him now. But first I"d like to see the terms of the contract!

Old
09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
I want Afin to play with Balmochnykh in the future, man were they good at the WJC.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:13 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Why are the Sabres, if they need Leadership, looking to trade Curtis Brown..? Isn't he their captain?

Here's a couple proposals:

Bryan Allen for Jay McKee (RFA).

JP Dumont for RJ Umberger (RFA). Umberger, #16 overall pick in the '01

Matt Cooke, Kirill Koltsov, and the Canucks' 1st round pick for Miro
Satan.
Some decent ideas. I for one would do Dumont for Umberger, simply because it would make room for either Gaustaud or Roy on the roster. As far as Brown goes, no, he's not a team captain, and no, he's not a team leader. Mair could fill his role and add alot more snarl to the checking line, though I don't think he'd be as productive on offense. Don't tempt us by offering up Cooke, he's the type of player Buffalo NEEDS desperatly on their roster. He could easily fill Dumont's slot on the 2nd line add some bang to the Hecht-Briere line and add a large degree of nastiness, though, i think Buffalo would be in alot of trouble this year if they lost Satan. As for the McKee deal, he is signed now How about....

To Vancouver: Zhitnik, Brown, Dumont
To Buffalo: Allen, Umberger, and Cooke

My thought process:

Zhitnik = Allen+Umberger
Brown+Dumont =Cooke

Buffalo gets Warrener's replacement and toughens up their 2nd line. Vancouver adds another #2 D-man who can log lots of ice time and some scoring depth, and a good checking foward.

Closed Thread