HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Updated Jan 27

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2013, 12:44 PM
  #776
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Don't let games against garbage teams blindfold you. If you think the oilers are playing fine, you haven't been watching or you have a loose understanding of fine.

I think Petry's play without Smid speaks dividends.
The Oilers have had their best stretch of the season without Smid so i'm not sure what you're saying here. Against lesser competition for sure, but it's not like they've gone in the tank without Smid.
It was a bad trade in the short term only because of the poor return (or what looks to be a poor return now) but the D hasn't been much worse without Smid.
Also, Petry was struggling even before Smid was dealt. He has been pretty subpar all year IMO.


Last edited by CupofOil: 12-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
CupofOil is offline  
Old
12-10-2013, 04:24 PM
  #777
Tw0Shoes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Don't let games against garbage teams blindfold you. If you think the oilers are playing fine, you haven't been watching or you have a loose understanding of fine.

I think Petry's play without Smid speaks dividends.
We were playing garbage teams before he got traded and losing. We certainly weren't winning games 8-0 and 8-2 with him.

Tw0Shoes is offline  
Old
12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
  #778
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
We were playing garbage teams before he got traded and losing. We certainly weren't winning games 8-0 and 8-2 with him.
Surely you aren't insinuating that trading Smid has led to the team winning games ***7-0 and 8-2. I sure hope not.

Mr Forever is online now  
Old
12-10-2013, 05:53 PM
  #779
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Am I in the prospects thread?

40oz is offline  
Old
12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
  #780
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,557
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Am I in the prospects thread?
pretty good philosophical question I think

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
  #781
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Surely you aren't insinuating that trading Smid has led to the team winning games ***7-0 and 8-2. I sure hope not.
His defensive style was holding the team back. Always "block this, hit that." Not enough goals, man.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
  #782
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
pretty good philosophical question I think
How can I be in the prospects thread and at home at the same time?

40oz is offline  
Old
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM
  #783
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Khaira with a goal
Chase with an assist on an empty netter
Moroz with 2 goals


buuuut, Nurse pointless and -3.

40oz is offline  
Old
12-12-2013, 12:20 AM
  #784
I3ig13ig
Registered User
 
I3ig13ig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Khaira with a goal
Chase with an assist on an empty netter
Moroz with 2 goals


buuuut, Nurse pointless and -3.
Annnnnndddddd this is why he didn't make team Canada for the WJC

Trade him and the first for Gardiner

I3ig13ig is offline  
Old
12-12-2013, 10:53 PM
  #785
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
If you're interested, you can watch Greg Chase and and the Hitmen take on Red Deer tomorrow night on Sportsnet One (7:30 MST).


This post is brought to you by Rogers Communications Inc ™
"Bling Bling, money aint a thang"

40oz is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 02:55 AM
  #786
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 10,147
vCash: 210
So Erik Gustafsson has seemingly had a great season so far in the SHL. 13 assists in 30 games. Not really sure about much more than his point totals, so it would be great if anyone could fill me in?

ohheyhemsky is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 05:02 AM
  #787
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
So Erik Gustafsson has seemingly had a great season so far in the SHL. 13 assists in 30 games. Not really sure about much more than his point totals, so it would be great if anyone could fill me in?
He's looked really good for the last couple of games. I still doubt he'll ever be an NHLer but he's on the perfect team and I have higher hopes now than 6 months ago.

OiledUp is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 06:30 AM
  #788
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,419
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
Annnnnndddddd this is why he didn't make team Canada for the WJC

Trade him and the first for Gardiner
Nichushkin.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
  #789
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,419
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
If you're interested, you can watch Greg Chase and and the Hitmen take on Red Deer tomorrow night on Sportsnet One (7:30 MST).


This post is brought to you by Rogers Communications Inc ™
"Bling Bling, money aint a thang"
I believe its Medicine Hat vs the Hitmen. Two of the top teams in the eastern conference. Should be a good game.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 09:04 PM
  #790
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I believe its Medicine Hat vs the Hitmen. Two of the top teams in the eastern conference. Should be a good game.
You're right! I should've checked that before I posted it.



Oil Kings are playing on shaw right now too. Moroz with a goal, assist, and rang one off the post short side.



edit:
Chase with 2 great set ups for Brady Brassart's 2 goals. 2-0 Hitmen halfway through the game.


Last edited by 40oz: 12-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
40oz is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 09:55 PM
  #791
LTIR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Interesting how Omark has twice as many points as the next best Baron..

LTIR is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:20 PM
  #792
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Omark has been far and away the best OKC Baron this year. Not even close.

Groucho is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:26 PM
  #793
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,226
vCash: 500
Call Omark up. maybe he'll care about playing hockey.

nofool6110 is online now  
Old
12-13-2013, 11:37 PM
  #794
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
How the **** did we get Greg Chase in the 7th round?

All three of his assists tonight were gorgeous set ups.

All the commentators on Sportsnet were talking about was how great Brassart was, but failed to mention the fact that all 3 goals were because of Chase.

He was more than impressive tonight.

Mozesmadness is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 11:39 PM
  #795
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
You're right! I should've checked that before I posted it.



Oil Kings are playing on shaw right now too. Moroz with a goal, assist, and rang one off the post short side.



edit:
Chase with 2 great set ups for Brady Brassart's 2 goals. 2-0 Hitmen halfway through the game.
Hitmen end up blowing off the doors in this one, 7-0 final in favour of Calgary.

Moroz finished with the aforementioned two points in a 7-3 Kings win over Lethbridge. 8 wins in a row!

Brewster is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:23 AM
  #796
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Chase was really impressive


Also, Houck had a goal in his first game back from suspension.
It feel's odd having so many good WHL prospects...

40oz is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 02:27 AM
  #797
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Chase was really impressive


Also, Houck had a goal in his first game back from suspension.
It feel's odd having so many good WHL prospects...
I'm afraid of how it translates to the AHL though.
Just look at our 2010 draft. The year after their draft all of these guys were looking like amazing picks.

Tyler Pitlick goes 62 points in 56 games in the WHL after his draft year. Goes pro and his production just hits the skids. Looking like a 4th liner at best.

Curtis Hamilton put up 82 points in 62 games year after his draft in the WHL. Three years into his pro career and he's pretty much busted flat out.

Ryan Martindale 83 points in 65 games. Then can't even stick in the AHL in his first pro year and like Hamilton is pretty much a bust.

This team has had too many prospects make it the OKC only to fall off the map completely. It's happening to Klefbom this year. So is it just that we are making bad pick after bad pick? Or is there the wrong coaching staff there to properly develop these players?

I imagine it is a combination of both.

Spawn is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  #798
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Klefbom too early to call bust, he sat out basically his whole post draft year with an injury.

Martindale was busting, but showed up to camp this year in the best shape he's ever been and Nelson has said he did an attitude 180, realized how hard he needed to work to be a pro. Then he got injured.

Hamilton can't stay healthy either.

Pitlick is starting to turn the page.

Groucho is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:11 PM
  #799
VayaConDios
Registered User
 
VayaConDios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Ty Rimmer with a 48 save shut out in his first game back with the Quad City Mallards

VayaConDios is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  #800
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I'm afraid of how it translates to the AHL though.
Just look at our 2010 draft. The year after their draft all of these guys were looking like amazing picks.

Tyler Pitlick goes 62 points in 56 games in the WHL after his draft year. Goes pro and his production just hits the skids. Looking like a 4th liner at best.

Curtis Hamilton put up 82 points in 62 games year after his draft in the WHL. Three years into his pro career and he's pretty much busted flat out.

Ryan Martindale 83 points in 65 games. Then can't even stick in the AHL in his first pro year and like Hamilton is pretty much a bust.

This team has had too many prospects make it the OKC only to fall off the map completely. It's happening to Klefbom this year. So is it just that we are making bad pick after bad pick? Or is there the wrong coaching staff there to properly develop these players?

I imagine it is a combination of both.
Oh, that's definitely the main concern.
But to be honest, I had higher offensive expectations of all of those players.

What I like about the current WHL crop is they have a pretty wide range of skills and they're aggresive. Chase is a real pest, Moroz is a wrecking ball on every shift, Houck is power forward who throws hard checks, and Khaira is a tank.
Pitlick, Hamilton, and Martindale all have size, but Martindale was somewhat 1-dimensional and really benefiting from his linemates. Pitlick was big and fast, but inconsistent physically (something they've worked on a ton in OKC). Hamilton was a great 2-way guy in the WHL, but not a power forward, he wasn't looking for fights or big hits.

I don't know if this means anything in terms of their development going forward to their transition to pro, it's just different than anything I've seen from the Oil in a while.

40oz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.