HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Updated Jan 27

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2014, 03:13 AM
BarDownMcBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Adam Musil seems to be an interesting prospect to watch out next year. 6'3 and he's a lot faster than his brother David.
And he's a C. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Oil pick him up in the '15 draft. Seems like he's trending towards being a second rounder right now.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
ok city have used 8 goalies this season so far

Old
01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
^
And have had 100 roster transactions...

Old
01-22-2014, 02:05 AM
saska sault

Someone mentioned in another thread I should come to this board and chime in on Nurse.

While his offensive stats have cooled off (2nd in OHL d-scoring), his overall game is far ahead of where he was last year. Still a very raw prospect, but you can see a lot of Subban in his game (with more size). He has the swagger, is developing some great moves in the O-zone, throws his weight when needed to get momentum. He has toned down the Pronger type plays where he is running around trying to take everyones head off, dropping gloves for no reason and become a smart player realizing he is more valuable on the ice then off. He truly is the leader of the Hounds, and the standings show that... He has one of the youngest teams in the OHL ahead of the Memorial Cup hosts and contending for the conference championship. He still needs to put on weight and develop a little more in his own end, hopefully the Oilers dont rush him and allow him to play for another contender next year. No need to rush a 19 year old, raw d-man on a non playoff team.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:08 AM
RisingSun
Feels good man.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Someone mentioned in another thread I should come to this board and chime in on Nurse.

While his offensive stats have cooled off (2nd in OHL d-scoring), his overall game is far ahead of where he was last year. Still a very raw prospect, but you can see a lot of Subban in his game (with more size). He has the swagger, is developing some great moves in the O-zone, throws his weight when needed to get momentum. He has toned down the Pronger type plays where he is running around trying to take everyones head off, dropping gloves for no reason and become a smart player realizing he is more valuable on the ice then off. He truly is the leader of the Hounds, and the standings show that... He has one of the youngest teams in the OHL ahead of the Memorial Cup hosts and contending for the conference championship. He still needs to put on weight and develop a little more in his own end, hopefully the Oilers dont rush him and allow him to play for another contender next year. No need to rush a 19 year old, raw d-man on a non playoff team.
Thanks for dropping by.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to play Nurse for 9 gms in the NHL, then send him back down. I feel that would be the best course of action.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:09 AM
Bangalter

why didnt greg chase play

Old
01-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post

Thanks for this!

Old
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Thanks for the input saska sault. I think if he has a good summer in the gym adding some muscle so he has better command of his big frame it'll really help his game. Then he can go back to the Hounds and take his game to another level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Thanks for dropping by.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to play Nurse for 9 gms in the NHL, then send him back down. I feel that would be the best course of action.
I agree. Let him know he's getting 9 games and tell him to make the most of it. Gives him a taste and he can likely earn a spot for the WJC too after he gets sent down. Seemed to work well for Pietrangelo. If they get Ekblad I'd send him back to junior too.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Thanks for the input saska sault. I think if he has a good summer in the gym adding some muscle so he has better command of his big frame it'll really help his game. Then he can go back to the Hounds and take his game to another level.

I agree. Let him know he's getting 9 games and tell him to make the most of it. Gives him a taste and he can likely earn a spot for the WJC too after he gets sent down. Seemed to work well for Pietrangelo. If they get Ekblad I'd send him back to junior too.
I totally agree with this. Would love to have Nurse and Ekblad as our future pairing. I know it would be 3 yrs down the road if we develop them properly but dmen are so difficult to get. To have a left and right natural pairing dmen pairing would be fantastic. I really hope we get to draft Ekblad but let them both go back to junior next year. Give Nurse 9 games though but let Ekblad go back down.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:36 PM
rockinghockey

What do you guys think will happen to Dillan Simpson? I just do see him signing an ELC with EDM. Even his father stated that EDM is not a good place for young dmen to go and sign with because of all the dmen prospects they have.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I totally agree with this. Would love to have Nurse and Ekblad as our future pairing. I know it would be 3 yrs down the road if we develop them properly but dmen are so difficult to get. To have a left and right natural pairing dmen pairing would be fantastic. I really hope we get to draft Ekblad but let them both go back to junior next year. Give Nurse 9 games though but let Ekblad go back down.
I'd give them both 9 games to prove themselves. If they outplay every other dman on the team, then as far as I'm concerned they've earned their stay in the NHL. If they look off, then they go back to junior and continue to build chemistry at the WJC.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
What do you guys think will happen to Dillan Simpson? I just do see him signing an ELC with EDM. Even his father stated that EDM is not a good place for young dmen to go and sign with because of all the dmen prospects they have.
I think theres a good chance one of Marincin/Klefbom/Gernat are traded for an established D.

That will free up a roster spot in the AHL for him. Hopefully he signs as I think he is ahead of Musil.

But if he signed elsewhere thatd be karma for us stealing Schultz

Old
01-23-2014, 12:12 PM
McDeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd give them both 9 games to prove themselves. If they outplay every other dman on the team, then as far as I'm concerned they've earned their stay in the NHL. If they look off, then they go back to junior and continue to build chemistry at the WJC.
I disagree. If they out play every d we have here then their development stagnates because they are in a hard league with no good defenceman to show them the way and will have to be relied upon to fast. Back in the juniors they can still play at a high level and work on the things they need to while growing into their frames

Old
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
He is one defensive prospect that never gets much ink or talked about here for some reason, despite putting up pretty impressive numbers at North Dakota and having pretty good size (6'2 and over 200 lbs) and hockey pedigree. I really hope he sticks around for a good look with the Oilers.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Paralyzer008

The Oilers are just trolling when they say the ECHL matters

It's great that we bought the Condors, but we aren't going to develop almost anything there, it's such a lowly league for development.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Shizuka

I don't know, there have been a couple of players that have managed to get from the ECHL to the NHL (Burrows and Roussel? from Dallas, off the top of my head). Odds aren't great, of course. I'm wondering why they did this to be honest, unless it's to align development through each step -- Oil Kings(for those we draft) right up through to the Oilers.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:31 PM
RebuildTheRebuild

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
He is one defensive prospect that never gets much ink or talked about here for some reason, despite putting up pretty impressive numbers at North Dakota and having pretty good size (6'2 and over 200 lbs) and hockey pedigree. I really hope he sticks around for a good look with the Oilers.
How physical is he when playing? There is quite the log jam of LHD in our system though. I wonder if he feels that he will get a good opportunity to get a crack at the NHL. I think he could potentially leave the team as Schultz did to Anahiem. I do hope that he does get a good look as you said his stats are pretty good.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:34 PM
40oz

Having control of your own ECHL affiliate benefits AHL players who never get sent down as well. Having that type of say in your minor league teams means you can avoid crowding at the AHL level, implement your development and systems play at another level and direct access to player reporting. That being said, the effects of all that may be negligible if your team is poorly run.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:05 PM
rockinghockey

I wonder if they would tell Simpson that if he signs he can play the rest of the year in the NHL to prove himself.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:42 PM
40oz

Dillon Simpson and the Jones bro's are nominated for the Hobey Baker. You can vote here.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
The Oilers are just trolling when they say the ECHL matters

It's great that we bought the Condors, but we aren't going to develop almost anything there, it's such a lowly league for development.
It's a good place to put players that are too good for Jr but not ready for the AHL.

Old
01-24-2014, 03:39 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's a good place to put players that are too good for Jr but not ready for the AHL.
Agree..
Maybe this is where we should be starting our too good for Jr players since we seem to have a lot of issues developing them..
Pitlick and Hamilton seemed overwhelmed.

Next year we can load up OKC with AHL vets and start guys like Yakimov, Moroz, Khaira, Chase etc in ECHL.

Old
01-24-2014, 03:50 PM
MisterD

vCash: 50
Does the ECHL have the same agreement with the CHL as the AHL has?

Old
01-24-2014, 06:27 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
Does the ECHL have the same agreement with the CHL as the AHL has?
I don't think the AHL and CHL have a deal, it's the NHL-CHL agreement that dictates the age of when a player can be sent to the AHL. So the ECHL would probably fall under the same category.

Old
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Agree..
Maybe this is where we should be starting our too good for Jr players since we seem to have a lot of issues developing them..
Pitlick and Hamilton seemed overwhelmed.

Next year we can load up OKC with AHL vets and start guys like Yakimov, Moroz, Khaira, Chase etc in ECHL.
The problem with OKC was we had too many vets and didn't play the prospects this year it has been much different. In the AHL you can win by loading up on vets but you have to balance that with developing prospects.

Closed Thread