HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Worst contract this summer?

Old
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

vCash: 50
Tuuka Rask,,,,

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:24 PM
leafswallace93*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
I'm optimistic about Clarkson for a couple reasons..

(1) Team toughness on Toronto with Carlyle behind the bench will give Clarkson a lot of confidence. When he's not producing he will only be asked to finish his checks, stick up for his team mates and crash the net. With Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Kadri, Phaneuf, etc putting up the points, Toronto doesn't need him to score a lot of goals. When they're not going in, just play a simple game and be the sandpaper in the top 6.

(2) NJD play a very defensive minded game, and Clarkson still managed to pot some goals. I am hoping that he will be able to score 20-25 goals a year and throw in a couple of assists just because he will be playing in a more offensively orientated system with very offensively talented players.

(3) He's a heart and soul player and he's from Toronto. Being able to play in front of your friends and family on a nightly basis and really identifying with the crest on your sweater should provide him with the motivation he needs to improve as a player.

(4) I think by the time we get around to the last few years of his contract the salary cap will be much higher and his 5.25 cap hit will be like a 3.5 cap hit of today. It will hurt like Liles is hurting us now, but it won't be a contract that completely handcuffs us. In the meantime if he can punch some faces, score some goals and provide some toughness to the team culture over the next 3-4 years, it will have made the contract worthwhile.

What scares me about the Clarkson contract is reading these threads. I know HF Boards is wrong sometimes, but when every other person mentions his contract as one of the worst... sheesh. Scary.
I wonder if Clarkson gets an ounce of respect if he scores 30 goals again, probably not.

He plays a perfect game for a long term contract, by year five his body will breakout down and he'll finish his contract on LTIR.

leafswallace93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:34 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
I think it's Clowe. Came off what was it a 2 or 3 goal season?
No goals before the trade deadline.

Just a sickening contract. I wasn't sure he would be in the NHL in 2 years

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:23 PM
FerrisRox

David Clarkson has the worst contract of the summer. Signing him to seven years is just plain stupid. Giving him seven years, and that term, borders on moronic.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 05:41 PM
captainpaxil

streit is gonna look pretty bad towards the end of the deal. I can almost promise hell be rathjed

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Stopping Pucks
I like goalies.

vCash: 14000
Clarkson.

Stopping Pucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafswallace93* View Post
I wonder if Clarkson gets an ounce of respect if he scores 30 goals again, probably not.

He plays a perfect game for a long term contract, by year five his body will breakout down and he'll finish his contract on LTIR.

You know that it's a bad contract when a fan of the team is counting on LTIR by year 6...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Mickey Mouse

Toronto fans, do yourselves a favor and stop pumping Clarkson's tires so much before he even plays a single game for you. It's a very strong possibility that you may end up eating quite a lot of crow. Just some friendly advice.

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Clarkson is the worst. Clowe, Crawford and Bozak are all pretty bad too.
I find it hilarious that all the Habs and Sens fans come on here simply to bash the Leafs. You guys really need to get a team of your own to root for instead of having ours to root against. Believe me, it's more fun that way.

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:28 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafswallace93* View Post

Isn't there a problem when a 29 going on 30 year old that needs to match or surpass his career high consistently for at least a couple of years to justify his contract?

I mean I love Clarkson but you know his career high is 46 points. And that was a team that made it to the Finals.

What happens if you get the 2010-11 Clarkson?

2010-11 NJ 82 12 6 18 -20

Imagine if you get 18 points in 82 games with a -20 for a 5.25 cap hit? What will the Toronto Media say?

In two years the Leafs will be paying him 7 Million in real dollars going on 32 years old. What happens in 3 years when you have a 33 year player making 7 Million and scoring 25-30 points?

You'll have an immovable contract and a player that you can't justify taking up the cap space....There is no question this is going to happen. I would bet large sums of money within the next 3 years Clarkson has a low 30 point season...You might not even have to wait very long to see it.

I don't know, but it seems like a no win situation for Clarkson. You're essentially asking for career highs for at least a few years. And if he does that it will only be expected, if he doesn't I'm sure there will be a firestorm. You didn't get Wendel Clark, trust me.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:38 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1976 View Post
I find it hilarious that all the Habs and Sens fans come on here simply to bash the Leafs. You guys really need to get a team of your own to root for instead of having ours to root against. Believe me, it's more fun that way.
Perhaps you missed the point of the thread, it's simply asking what were the worst contracts dished out...alot of people, including many Leaf fans and media-types, think the Leafs went overboard with Clarkson & Bozak's contracts...that's not team-hate, just facts...if you have a hard time with people speaking ill of your beloved Leafs, perhaps you shouldn't venture out of the Leafs boards, cuz every team gets it out here.

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Isn't there a problem when a 29 going on 30 year old that needs to match or surpass his career high consistently for at least a couple of years to justify his contract?

I mean I love Clarkson but you know his career high is 46 points. And that was a team that made it to the Finals.

Imagine if you get 18 points in 82 games with a -20 for a 5.25 cap hit? What will the Toronto Media say?

In two years the Leafs will be paying him 7 Million in real dollars going on 32 years old. What happens in 3 years when you have a 33 year player making 7 Million and scoring 25-30 points?

You'll have an immovable contract and a player that you can't justify taking up the cap space....There is no question this is going to happen. I would bet large sums of money within the next 3 years Clarkson has a low 30 point season...You might not even have to wait very long to see it.

I don't know, but it seems like a no win situation for Clarkson. You're essentially asking for career highs for at least a few years. And if he does that it will only be expected, if he doesn't I'm sure there will be a firestorm. You didn't get Wendel Clark, trust me.
Reality strikes

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Devonator

I am a Flyer fan and I say the Streit contract is up there as the worse...one year to long and a million to much per season...luckily with the cap going up, this should not effect us to badly but still....much to much for this player!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
SensBruins4Ever

vCash: 5640
Quote:
They are not bashing the leafs. They are just answering the thread question. Clarkson is in fact one of the worst contracts this summer. A lot of fans of other teams think so as well.

SensBruins4Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:

Well written sir (or madam). He might be on fire next year, he might be a controlled burn, or he might not even smoke. Either way it will be interesting, does Toronto have a complacent buyout left just in case?

stryfe604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Gamerz

Send a message via MSN to Gamerz Send a message via Yahoo to Gamerz
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Well written sir (or madam). He might be on fire next year, he might be a controlled burn, or he might not even smoke. Either way it will be interesting, does Toronto have a complacent buyout left just in case?
They won't be able to use the complaince buyout on him. Compliance buyouts can only be for contracts that were signed before the lockout. And seeing as how we won't have another lockout for quite a while, teams that have signed a player to a long contract this year could be in big trouble.

Gamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Complacent? I'm not sure if they would be contented to a fault to buy him out.

Compliance? No, for two reasons.

1. They used both on Grabovski and Komisarek

2. Compliance buyouts are only applicable to contracts signed prior to the last CBA

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:29 PM
bottompairingdman

Since this thread is still going thought I could as well throw mine into the mix:

David Clarkson. There has been so much discussion about him that I'd prefer not to get too deep into this, let's just say that it's a really bad contract. Too much money per year imo and the term is WAY too long. Pension plan puppets made quite a good article on what to expect from him.

Ryane Clowe. His legs are pretty much gone, as is his scoring touch (based on last season at least). I could kinda understand this if he was a one-year replacement for Clarkson but the AAV and that term... Buyout material.

Mark Streit. Yes, he fills a need for the Flyers, but his even strength play has been pretty bad plus he's getting up there in age. Bit of an overpayment and again, the term is way too long.

Those are the tree that immediately come to mind.

bottompairingdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Bieber fever

with gomez , bryz , redden and other suspect contract gone , clarkson is the worst contract in the league

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Totti

Quote:
To be fair, if the Habs or Sens signed Clarkson to that awful contract, Leaf fans would be relentless. They have every right to bash that contract. It's terrible.

Totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Whatever team signs Daniel Cleary.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:27 PM
spOiler

The players who have names beginning in C all got bad contracts apparently.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Joannie9

Clarkson no doubt

Joannie9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Castle1*

Quote:

I for one am VERY happy with the Clarkson signing and contract

Although I am a Canucks fan

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Sparksrus3

For Toronto would you pay that much for Darcy tucker? And tucker had quite a few 20 goal seasons along with almost 500 points. Just my opinion on this comparison.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote