Notices

Flames name Brian Burke president of hockey operations

Old
09-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I really don't think this is any indication that Feaster is out. If it was, I feel they would have gotten rid of him much sooner. Personally I'd like to keep JF around and believe he is severely mistreated by fans of all teams. Three options in my mind:

A) Burke is not hired, nothing happens
B) Burke is hired as President of Hockey Operations
C) Burke is hired as General Manager and Feaster is "promoted" to President of Hockey Operations
There's no way Burke accepts a position where Feaster is ahead of him on the food chain - I just don't think he has the ego to allow it.

If Burke is hired Feaster moves into a funny place where anything can happen with his job.

If I'm Flames' ownership I grant one thing in order to get his signature and that's the ability to bring in his own people (IE: Dudley). Are Feaster and Hartley Burke-type people? I think Hartley might be - not sure about Feaster.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Dio666

As I stated earlier in this thread. I was sad to see Burke leave Toronto. Just prepare for some of the negatives.

The things that drove most Leaf fans (including myself) nuts, was Burke's ridiculous deadlines and other ways he operates.

The one I hated the most, and might have cost us some good trades, was Burke's self imposed trade deadline during Christmas. A few weeks before every other NHL team. He was vocal about it. Other GM's probably didn't call Brian during that time because of it. Who really knows?

Also going overseas, and attending the Pride Parade the day Free Agency opens.

I know those are good causes, but things like that drove the fans and the media crazy.

Dio666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
Pride Parade is important to Burke and with a gazillion GM wannabes (I mean that in a good way) holding down the fort in Toronto I don't think it was an operational problem. Burke and his peeps probably war gamed the free agency situation to a point where even the arena janitor could have gotten it right.

That being said, I think your point about distractions is a valid one. Maybe moving to a smaller city will be a helpful change.

Besides, Nenshi is the big man on campus here so Burke can focus on hockey without any worries.

BTW - Speaking of Burke's people, what's Claude Loiselle doing these days? Is he someone the Flames could use if there is a new person at the helm?

Old
09-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
As I stated earlier in this thread. I was sad to see Burke leave Toronto. Just prepare for some of the negatives.

The things that drove most Leaf fans (including myself) nuts, was Burke's ridiculous deadlines and other ways he operates.

The one I hated the most, and might have cost us some good trades, was Burke's self imposed trade deadline during Christmas. A few weeks before every other NHL team. He was vocal about it. Other GM's probably didn't call Brian during that time because of it. Who really knows?

I know those are good causes, but things like that drove the fans and the media crazy.
Do you know what else Christmas trade deadline does? It provides HIS players with a sense of security, so that they know they can just go play and not worry about whether or not they are being traded, so while every other team in the league's player are playing distracted by the trade hysteria, his players are playing focused. Sounds pretty ok to me.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:16 AM
DBU
All You Can Do

Sportsnet 960 The FAN
The Calgary #Flames have called a 10am media conference @ the Saddledome.

Who wants to make a bet?

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:18 AM
BVicious

Press conference at 10:00.

I hope he replaces ken kings role on the hockey side. Jay Feaster is solid and I don't want him to be replaced.

As other people said in this thread, you now have a guy for drafting, for contracts and now trading. I'm happy with this, and I'm happy the Flames are continuing to rebuild this franchise.

BVicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:29 AM

I like the idea of a Feaster-Weisbrod-Burke three headed monster. Lots of good hockey experience. Lets just hope it's not too much of a cluster ****.

12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Hockey Ninja
Go Flames Go!

Round two coming up?

Hockey Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:38 AM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Ninja View Post

Round two coming up?
Hockey Gods must be loving this.

I call Flames rebuild faster than Oilers.

Burke is a great man, he deserved better in Toronto.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Do you know what else Christmas trade deadline does? It provides HIS players with a sense of security, so that they know they can just go play and not worry about whether or not they are being traded, so while every other team in the league's player are playing distracted by the trade hysteria, his players are playing focused. Sounds pretty ok to me.
Yes, I realize that. I just think it throws away whatever opportunity of a trade away for him because other GM's know he wont trade during that time. I can guarantee it will be talked about by the media and some fans when Christmas roles around.

As I said in a previous post. Burkes loyalty is second to none.

Personally, I don't think there is anyone better than Burke when it comes to rebuilding Calgary at this time. Just as it was for the Leafs when he was hired.

I agree with above post. Watch the Flames get better than the Oilers a lot quicker.

I have a hate all other Canadian teams, except for the Flames and Ottawa. I hope this helps. Flames fans deserve it!

Dio666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
Wherever he lands, it'll be the first time in a while where I feel like we have most pieces in place that actually know what they're doing.

We have an experienced coach who knows what system to run
Weisbrod is doing a great job with scouting
Feaster is able to negotiate with players better than most (haven't seen a contract I have hated out of him yet)
Burke has a strong hockey knowledge and can bully GMs in trade negotiations
King... well we'll see where he ends up in all this.

I just want 3 things if Burke signs here:
1) No Ron Wilson... EVER
2) Don't rush the rebuild. If somehow we can draft McDavid, then let Burke loose and build a juggernaut
3) Dave Nonis can stay away. We don't need this place becoming an old boys on the bus situation like Edmonton.

Last edited by Rangediddy: 09-05-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Rangediddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:26 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I'm very happy that a change is coming. This organization needed some accountability for its previous failures. King needs to step aside, and then we can finally move on from that chapter

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:41 AM
tfong

Burke as Hockey Ops President?

Is that what the 10am news conference is for?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Burke as Hockey Ops President?

Is that what the 10am news conference is for?
Probably. I just hope he leaves his "Truculence, testosterone and hostility" talking points at home.

It'll probably be a simple announcement of his new title, votes of confidence for existing staff (Which means many will be gone by Christmas) and Eric Francis will open his mouth and begin the instant-hate-in with Burke.

Budda-bing!

(Mind you, the Francis thing will be too one-sided to be any fun.)

Old
09-05-2013, 09:50 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I'm downright giddy. My money is announcing King moving on to overseeing the stadium ect and Burke as President.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

**** yes!!

No more getting fleeced in trades. I do agree with the 3 headed monster analogy. Maybe our team will be managed kind of like the Avs. We instantly have just added a ton of credibility to the Flames. Love this move!

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:29 AM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
**** yes!!

No more getting fleeced in trades. I do agree with the 3 headed monster analogy. Maybe our team will be managed kind of like the Avs. We instantly have just added a ton of credibility to the Flames. Love this move!
Ya until he trades our 1st overall pick to the leafs for ******* kessel. I have never been so frightened for the org in my life. Rebuilding finally and Burke is going to offer sheet Kadri for way to much... I really have no faith in this guy. I really hope he proves me wring and doesn't screw us over

Last edited by Stewie Griffin: 09-05-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Filter
AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Noori

Burke is going to be a different guy than what we've come to see. He's going to take note of some of his short comings as Toronto's GM and make sure he doesn't make the same mistakes. He's a different guy now, after the passing of his son, the circus in Toronto, and the (false) rumours of an affair.

He's still going to be a tough son of a *****, but without the arrogance and hopefully the sideshow.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:38 AM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Burke is going to be a different guy than what we've come to see. He's going to take note of some of his short comings as Toronto's GM and make sure he doesn't make the same mistakes. He's a different guy now, after the passing of his son, the circus in Toronto, and the (false) rumours of an affair.

He's still going to be a tough son of a *****, but without the arrogance and hopefully the sideshow.
I hope so but if kessel Kadri or dion is traded here I may puke. I fear for the rebuild

Old
09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post

Exactly. He learned from his mistakes, I feel he is the perfect guy for the job at this point in time.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Noori

Maybe Dion comes back as a FA? Iginla is gone, Regehr is gone, Warrener is gone, and Phaneuf is much older and mature. I wouldn't want to trade for him though. With the trouble Nonis is habing locking up Kadri, it may be a possibility.

The thing with adding Burke, is it gives us a chance at all the top FAs. If Brian Burke comes calling, you bet the player is going to give the Flames a long and hard consideration.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:42 AM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
Exactly. He learned from his mistakes, I feel he is the perfect guy for the job at this point in time.
He's not the GM right he's just replacing king?

Old
09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanHerbsman View Post
He's not the GM right he's just replacing king?
I'm guessing he will the be president of hockey Ops. Which means he will be overseeing everything the GM does.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:56 AM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
I'm guessing he will the be president of hockey Ops. Which means he will be overseeing everything the GM does.
Bummer

Old
09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanHerbsman View Post
Bummer
Don't worry - Feaster will be well supervised.