HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Liles for futures

Old
09-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Kitsy

vCash: 500
Liles for futures

TO Calgary: JM Liles, 3rd
To Toronto: Future Considerations

I'm a fan of both teams and I see this as a positive for both. Toronto rids the cap hit and signs Kadri, Franson, Raymond and looks pretty solid in my estimation. Calgary gets another pick and a player who can man the point when Wideman isn't, and more importantly, provide him with enough minutes to re-discover his point getting potential then move him for assets at the deadline. The future considerations can be as simple as the return of the 3rd pick if Liles is dealt prior to the start of the 2014/2015 season.

I know Liles has been discussed here quite a bit so if the Mods are sick of it I understand merging or deleting or whatnot.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:08 PM
AuraSphere

I don't think Liles value is that bad that we'd have to add a 3rd. I know he's a huge liability for some teams because of his cap, but honestly, he got that cap for a reason just last season. He's a good player, and a great puck mover. Calgary could really use someone like him and I don't think that we''d have to add if we're just getting "future considerations". I think he'd be picked up by waivers if he was ever to be waived.

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

I applaud you for not asking for anything, but I can't see a team taking on that contract even if they paid to rid themselves of it.

Maybe in a cap dump move where both players fill a need, but I dunno.

I know Leaf fans want the guy gone, and I completely understand why, but look at it from the other teams view.

How PO'd would Toronto fans be if THEY aquired Liles?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:18 PM
HighLifeMan

No thanks.
Calgary has no need for Liles, and a third round pick is hardly enough to warrant taking on three more years off a completely unnecessary and bloated contract..

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:25 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

We need to keep our draft pick.

Liles, Blacker, Ryan for Jones, Nemisz.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:25 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
I don't think Liles value is that bad that we'd have to add a 3rd. I know he's a huge liability for some teams because of his cap, but honestly, he got that cap for a reason just last season. He's a good player, and a great puck mover. Calgary could really use someone like him and I don't think that we''d have to add if we're just getting "future considerations". I think he'd be picked up by waivers if he was ever to be waived.
I would agree with that I don't think they could get anything (of value) for him in a trade but I think someone would pluck him off waivers.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:27 PM
sansabri
RIP Pete Burns

i don't think a 3rd is enough to entice a team into taking a risk with Liles' horrible contract.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Kitsy

I think a lot of Leaf fans were wondering how Liles lost his spot in the first place. I thought he was serviceable when he played and showed spurts of his old self when he would rush the lanes with confidence. He gets 30 games with the Flames and pots some points, gets some minutes and Liles value could rocket back up to a 2nd round pick I would say. Maybe the 3rd isn't enough to entice but as a Flames fan as well I would love to take a flyer on Liles. Wideman, Gio, and Brodie are a fairly weak foundation right now. Any injuries and that D is rough.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
Wideman, Gio, and Brodie are a fairly weak foundation right now. Any injuries and that D is rough.
And that's ok. It's not like Calgary is going to contend this year. They get injuries, then they just bring up players or pluck a plug off waivers.

There is no need for them to take on a contract like that.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:10 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
I would agree with that I don't think they could get anything (of value) for him in a trade but I think someone would pluck him off waivers.
With His contract I seriously don't see anyone taking him off waivers.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:16 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Calgary doesn't need him. Chances are Calgary's going to want to give a player like Breen a shot instead of bringing in Liles and his contract.

There is probably less then 0 interest in him from a Calgary perspective.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:28 AM
BK201

Maybe Tampa could use him.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:35 AM
HockeyNymphomaniac*

Wow.. just Wow. How is JML not a capable NHL O-Dman I dunno?.. and for Calgary of all teams to say they don't need him when I could probably make the team is insane. Your D prospects are a few years out, and you can use a guy like him while your D matures is beyond me. With Burke there im sure you will win the trade. Especially with us needing to lose some cap. I have a feeling it will be like the Gardiner/Lupul with Anaheim.. where a team needs to cut some fat, and the other takes advantage. But a trade will be done imo

And tbh Calgary is my second favorite team, so im ok with it

HockeyNymphomaniac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:59 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

The Calgary Flames from 2 years ago might have jumped on this deal: a veteran reclamation guy who might help propel an aging team into the playoffs? It's very much in line with the "We still have Iggy, let's vet this joint up, and squeak into the playoffs - where anything can happen" philosophy that held up the Flames' inevitable rebuild for so long.

The 2013-14 Flames are probably just content to hand those minutes out to an assortment of younger bucks in the hopes that one of them catches on and can turn into a long-term asset. And they can save money. Maybe if Liles only had one more year left on his deal, they could hope he turns his game around and could move him as a deadline rental for another pick, but 3 years is just Liles taking up some kid's developmental time. They'd be better to save that $3.9mil (Liles's salary) for the 2014 deadline, and go after a young UFA with long-term upside for Calgary.

And even then, even if Calgary had interest (which is debatable, at best), Liles has a modified NTC (a separate thread could be dedicated to how he got that in the first place, but that's for another time), so you have to hope he'd waive to go to Calgary and/or have the Flames on his list of teams he'd accept a move to.

There are a lot of great assets on the Leafs roster. A lot. Liles is not one of them. If the Leafs want to move him, maybe they need to look for the 2013-14 version of the 2011-12 Flames?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:05 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyNymphomaniac View Post
Wow.. just Wow. How is JML not a capable NHL O-Dman I dunno?.. and for Calgary of all teams to say they don't need him when I could probably make the team is insane. Your D prospects are a few years out, and you can use a guy like him while your D matures is beyond me. With Burke there im sure you will win the trade. Especially with us needing to lose some cap. I have a feeling it will be like the Gardiner/Lupul with Anaheim.. where a team needs to cut some fat, and the other takes advantage. But a trade will be done imo

And tbh Calgary is my second favorite team, so im ok with it
It's the contract, nobody wants it straight up. Liles is basically a buyout candidate that didn't get bought out - most of those guys found NHL work but at reduced salary. How much TO is willing to retain is going to be offset by the picks they are prepared to pay to make him go away.

As for Calgary they are gunning for Reinhart or some other top 5 pick. They'd have to be paid pretty well to take on Liles since he doesn't help with that.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

vCash: 50
The Flames are not interested in Liles. Here are some reasons why.

The Flames are rebuilding and have 9 guys fighting for jobs on the blueline of their NHL roster. Of those 9 bodies the oldest turns 31 near the end of the season, 5 of them are 26 and younger. Liles on the otherhand would instantly become the oldest blueliner on the team and has never been a player that has stood out in a leadership capacity. With 3 years and over 11.5 million left on his contract it will take much more than a 3rd round pick to entice the Flames to acquire him.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:13 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
It's the contract, nobody wants it straight up. Liles is basically a buyout candidate that didn't get bought out - most of those guys found NHL work but at reduced salary. How much TO is willing to retain is going to be offset by the picks they are prepared to pay to make him go away.

As for Calgary they are gunning for Reinhart or some other top 5 pick. They'd have to be paid pretty well to take on Liles since he doesn't help with that.
I still think Toronto could probably get a 3rd round pick back for Liles (from a "non-Calgary" team) if they were willing to eat ~50% of his contract. Someone would probably bite for a sub-$2mil Liles.

Sort of goes against the reason why the Leafs want to move him, though (to free up cap space for Kadri & Frattin).

Old
09-09-2013, 03:15 AM
HockeyNymphomaniac*

Still gonna need to fill the arena for a couple seasons.. Unless gonna go the Edmonton/Pittsburgh route, and ice the worst possible team to get the highest pick. Which means paying for tickets to watch your team tank.... I don't think Burke took the job for that reason. Can see a rebuild, but still wanna watch some hockey, with a vet mentoring the young guys.... or end up like Edmonton. All the talent and no heart.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:17 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Still gonna need to fill the arena for a couple seasons.. Unless gonna go the Edmonton/Pittsburgh route, and ice the worst possible team to get the highest pick. Which means paying for tickets to watch your team tank.... I don't think Burke took the job for that reason. Can see a rebuild, but still wanna watch some hockey, with a vet mentoring the young guys.... or end up like Edmonton. All the talent and no heart.
You bring up paying for tickets to watch your team tank, and then bring up Edmonton, which has sold out pretty much all off it's games over the past half-decade to watch their team tank.

I'm just saying. I don't disagree with you in principle (it sucks to pay to watch a rebuilding team), but Edmonton is not the example to cite in this case, lol. That city would sell out Oilers games if they played in the KHL. Great STH base.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:31 AM
HockeyNymphomaniac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You bring up paying for tickets to watch your team tank, and then bring up Edmonton, which has sold out pretty much all off it's games over the past half-decade to watch their team tank.

I'm just saying. I don't disagree with you in principle (it sucks to pay to watch a rebuilding team), but Edmonton is not the example to cite in this case, lol. That city would sell out Oilers games if they played in the KHL. Great STH base.
I do agree with you. Edmonton is a hockey market regardless, but my point was more towards how they tanked, and the after effects. Sure they tanked to a great 1st line, but also didn't add vet guys to mentor them/protect them. Kinda went the trial by fire route.

My point was adding a vet O-Dman to help with your up and coming D-men considering your in a rebuild, and 2 years from now im sure you can trade Liles at the trade deadline for pick im sure... He's really not bad and would be sought after if not for his contract, plus you could get him on the cheap now/ with a pick aswell

Old
09-09-2013, 03:35 AM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Clearly clueless about Edmonton and its players not surprised though considering the amount of people who think having "rivals" means you should be disrespectful of a teams players and fans.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:45 AM
Paper

With 11M+ left on his deal I'm not sure if a 3rd round pick is incentive enough, however, with Burke being the one to sign him to that contract maybe he'd still put in a good word.

Although, because Burke is here now they might as well trade for a prospect he's high on that he knows Nonis isn't as much.

So Liles + Prospect that Burke considers ~2nd round pick equivalent and Nonis considers ~3rd round pick. Not an exact science obviously but would make some sense they would disagree a bit on prospects' worth and could make sense from both sides.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:46 AM
HockeyNymphomaniac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
Clearly clueless about Edmonton and its players not surprised though considering the amount of people who think having "rivals" means you should be disrespectful of a teams players and fans.
Ohh please, im a Leaf fan.. most hated and disrespected.

Evaluation was accurate. Team tanked, and didn't add role players, which is why your team got pushed around. Not hating on the star players, but they weren't mentored/protected

Old
09-09-2013, 03:52 AM
HockeyNymphomaniac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
With 11M+ left on his deal I'm not sure if a 3rd round pick is incentive enough, however, with Burke being the one to sign him to that contract maybe he'd still put in a good word.

Although, because Burke is here now they might as well trade for a prospect he's high on that he knows Nonis isn't as much.

So Liles + Prospect that Burke considers ~2nd round pick equivalent and Nonis considers ~3rd round pick. Not an exact science obviously but would make some sense they would disagree a bit on prospects' worth and could make sense from both sides.
Exactly. Im sure Calgary will come out ahead in the trade... probably Liles and a decent prospect, and he'll get a pick 2 years from now when he trades Liles when the cap is higher and not much left on his contract... point is Burke isn't stupid, im sure he's looking ahead.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:27 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Exactly. Im sure Calgary will come out ahead in the trade... probably Liles and a decent prospect, and he'll get a pick 2 years from now when he trades Liles when the cap is higher and not much left on his contract... point is Burke isn't stupid, im sure he's looking ahead.
Burke got a 2nd to take on Wayne Primeau and him 1.4 million cap hit for 1 year.

You better believe to take on nearly 4 million a season for 3 years it will take alot more than what Leafs fans want to give. The one big advantage Calgary has is they can buy Liles out next summer if they so choose. Even then it would cost the Flames over $9 million to pay Liles for 1 season and then buy him out.

IMO that is 1st round pick kind of money. This is reaching Malakhov territory.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote