HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Halak ever stay healthy and claim the #1 job?

Old
09-05-2013, 01:01 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 500
Will Halak ever stay healthy and claim the #1 job?

Seems like the Habs definitely made the right decision with Price, given all these durability issues with Halak. Could they have known at the time this would plague his career? Or were they just lucky? Can Halak finally get healthy and become the elite goaltender he's shown flashes of?

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Bluesman91

Just lucky and he better hope he can this season or he is not getting re-signed.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:23 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

1) just lucky
2) we made the right decision too. you need a goalie, you go for a goalie. Halak was the best option out there IMO.
3) Price is still not much better. has issues aswell.
4) most important point: do we really need another bash Jaro thread? because thats exactly what this thread will become.

let this guy do his job. its a win-win situation anyway. if he continues to struggle we still have an ok tandem and save alot of money next year and if he's good its just good for the team. consistant whining about a trade we may have lost and bashing or questioning his attitude and health won't make it better for anyone here.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:58 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Yeah sorry, I didn't notice the thread about the Halak article - only the helmet thread.

I guess what I'm most curious about is whether fans have much faith in his fortunes changing.

Old
09-05-2013, 02:06 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Yeah sorry, I didn't notice the thread about the Halak article - only the helmet thread.

I guess what I'm most curious about is whether fans have much faith in his fortunes changing.
I do. I think he's been scapegoated a lot. Folks like to ignore the Jennings-winning season when re-writing his history with the Blues.

He's not and never was billed as an 80% starter type workhorse. But he can do something more like 60/40 or more, stay healthy, and it wouldn't shock me at all if he's statistically in the Top 10 in the league this season.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Seems like the Habs definitely made the right decision with Price, given all these durability issues with Halak. Could they have known at the time this would plague his career? Or were they just lucky? Can Halak finally get healthy and become the elite goaltender he's shown flashes of?
How can he be an ELITE goalie, when he has been shown to have a glaring weakness in his game of being beaten high? He is, at best(when healthy), a solid, NHL starter, who plays well when hot, but also has poor down periods. He can be a solid starter for a team with a strong defence. But, his overall game has too big a weakness to allow him to be an elite NHL goaltender (unless he gets rid of that weakness). That isn;t too likely at his stage of development (and also because it is partly a size issue).

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:02 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Halak has never been a A #1 goalie dating back to his Montreal days, why should now be any different over 3 years later?

For the Blues sake he'd better stay healthy this season, we will see.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I do. I think he's been scapegoated a lot. Folks like to ignore the Jennings-winning season when re-writing his history with the Blues.

He's not and never was billed as an 80% starter type workhorse. But he can do something more like 60/40 or more, stay healthy, and it wouldn't shock me at all if he's statistically in the Top 10 in the league this season.
I'd agree with this. He hasn't performed as we'd have hoped in St. Louis, but he isn't anything close to as bad as some love to make out. The only thing that really annoyed me was his antics during the playoffs a few months back. Wanting to play is one thing, but being an ignorant distraction is another.

I expect he'll solidify himself as the #1 goalie this season, and put us in an awkward position in the process. We can laugh at the Crawford, Howard, Smith or even Bobrovsky contracts all we want, but they have set the market. If Halák has a good year then it is going to cost $5m for a number of years to keep him around.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:38 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
How can he be an ELITE goalie, when he has been shown to have a glaring weakness in his game of being beaten high? He is, at best(when healthy), a solid, NHL starter, who plays well when hot, but also has poor down periods. He can be a solid starter for a team with a strong defence. But, his overall game has too big a weakness to allow him to be an elite NHL goaltender (unless he gets rid of that weakness). That isn;t too likely at his stage of development (and also because it is partly a size issue).
Fair, though he has shown dominance in the playoffs, during parts of the season before last, and the Olympics. I guess I've never noticed "glaring" weaknesses in his game - moreso weaknesses in durability.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Yoko Ono*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
OMG this coming from the guy who said Halak was the best goalie in the world when the trade went down I wish I could pull some quotes from the OBF lol.

Yoko Ono* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:29 AM
BlueDream

He won the Jennings when he literally basically split time with Brian Elliott behind one of the best defensive teams ever. It really is not that impressive.

His career here has been average, period.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:33 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
He won the Jennings when he literally basically split time with Brian Elliott behind one of the best defensive teams ever. It really is not that impressive.

His career here has been average, period.
This, and thank you.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
fcpremix88

I wasn't a fan of his "crazy" play-off run before we traded for him. Jaro got pulled in every series. His consistency has always been called into question.

However...

I like him. I don't want to see him traded or leave this summer. But if Elliott outplays him this season, he's gotta go.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:39 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
I wasn't a fan of his "crazy" play-off run before we traded for him. Jaro got pulled in every series. His consistency has always been called into question.

However...

I like him. I don't want to see him traded or leave this summer. But if Elliott outplays him this season, he's gotta go.
He has never been pulled in the playoffs for the Blues. He got injured. and he never started last season. We really havent seen if he can elevate his game in the playoffs yet.

topshelf331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:35 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331 View Post
He has never been pulled in the playoffs for the Blues. He got injured. and he never started last season. We really havent seen if he can elevate his game in the playoffs yet.
He's talking about his playoff run in Montreal, and he's right. Everyone wants to act like Halak was absolutely flawless, which is just not true. Yes he did have some amazing games and overall played well, but like that guy said, he also had some terrible games and did get pulled in every series.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
BLONG7

Consistency issues, and durability issues his entire career...the sign were there guys...still a good goalie in stretches of games, but doesn't seem to be able to handle the load of a # 1 guy...

If his agent finds out we are saying this, we are all toast...Walsh is a crazy man...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
OMG this coming from the guy who said Halak was the best goalie in the world when the trade went down I wish I could pull some quotes from the OBF lol.
I NEVER stated that he was "The best goalie in the World". I was glad that The Blues picked up a solid starting NHL goalie, and said that he was a GOOD, solid goaltender. I also stated that I felt bad that they had to give up Eller (whose development I had followed in Denmark and Sweden) to get him. I'm still ambivalent about that trade, but I knew, at the time, that The Blues had to get a competent starting NHL goalie.

He has not, however played like an ELITE (Top 3-5 NHL goaltender), for The Blues - especially in The Playoffs. He Does have a glaring weakness. He can be beaten high, especially on the right side. True, that when he's on his best game, he make some extraordinary reflex saves. But, he still gives up high corner shots, even during his hot streaks. He (like Elliott) has benefited from The Blues' smothering team defence in Hitch's system. He's an above average NHL starter (maybe Top 11-15). But ELITE is Top 3-5. Right now, he is FAR from that.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
some of the halak hate is a little over the top. so here's my admittedly haphazard rebuttal. look at all the cup winners and runners-up since the 04-05 lockout. none of those goalies, except for tim thomas and brodeur, could be said to be an elite goaltender, let alone elite for multiple seasons. then you have guys like osgood, corey crawford, fleury, giguere, etc who've been either inconsistent in their careers or contemporaries of halak who are just now hitting their prime. halak is 28 and is just entering his prime years. corey crawford is 29, jimmy howard is 29, fleury is 28, mike smith is 31, not to mention cam ward, antti niemi, and a whole slew of starting goalies who are basically in the same mold as halak(late 20s/early 30s, inconsistent to varying degrees, but competent).

what robb_k says here while attempting to denigrate halak basically describes the majority of goalies in the league, especially those i mentioned above: "a solid, NHL starter, who plays well when hot, but also has poor down periods. He can be a solid starter for a team with a strong defence." show me a goalie who never goes into a slump and i'll show you a backup who probably only played 5 or 6 games the entire season.

my point is, he deserves criticism definitely. but let's keep some perspective, he's plenty good enough to take this team all the way, especially when you consider the other goalies who've gone to the finals recently.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
some of the halak hate is a little over the top. so here's my admittedly haphazard rebuttal. look at all the cup winners and runners-up since the 04-05 lockout. none of those goalies, except for tim thomas and brodeur, could be said to be an elite goaltender, let alone elite for multiple seasons. then you have guys like osgood, corey crawford, fleury, giguere, etc who've been either inconsistent in their careers or contemporaries of halak who are just now hitting their prime. halak is 28 and is just entering his prime years. corey crawford is 29, jimmy howard is 29, fleury is 28, mike smith is 31, not to mention cam ward, antti niemi, and a whole slew of starting goalies who are basically in the same mold as halak(late 20s/early 30s, inconsistent to varying degrees, but competent).

what robb_k says here while attempting to denigrate halak basically describes the majority of goalies in the league, especially those i mentioned above: "a solid, NHL starter, who plays well when hot, but also has poor down periods. He can be a solid starter for a team with a strong defence." show me a goalie who never goes into a slump and i'll show you a backup who probably only played 5 or 6 games the entire season.

my point is, he deserves criticism definitely. but let's keep some perspective, he's plenty good enough to take this team all the way, especially when you consider the other goalies who've gone to the finals recently.
I stated above that Halak is an above-average NHL Number 1 goaltender (Top 11-15) and that ELITE is top 3-5. How is that denegrating Halak?

I NEVER said that he couldn't lead The Blues to The Stanley Cup. If The Wings could make it with Osgood, a strong Blues team (like the current roster-with natural improvement of their young players this year and next) could well win it all. How am I denegrating Halak by saying that he's NOT ELITE? I'd bet 95 % of posters on this forum would say he's NOT an elite NHL goalie. That doesn't imply that he's not a valuable goaltender. Elite wouldn't mean "elite" if it included 40% of NHL starters.

Did I say that The Blues should trade him? Did I say that they should start Elliott over him? No! I think there is less "Halak hate" on this forum than you think.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:32 AM
DeuceNine
Wall of Shame

Quote:
Seems like the Habs definitely made the right decision with Price, given all these durability issues with Halak.
I'd rather have a goalie that's less durable physically than mentally. One you can fix much more easily.

DeuceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:02 AM
BlueBeard

I'm far from Halak's biggest fan but can you fairly say that breaking a hand/finger(forget what it was) on a shot his glove hand, and getting bowled over by Jackman is really an injury or durability problem with Halak? Those are injuries that you just can't prepare for and could happen to any goalie at any time. The groin pulls? I can see a case for questioning that. Again just to be fair, he didn't play overseas during the lockout, and there wasn't much of a camp to get back into game shape. I was prepared for a multitude of players to go out to injuries like that last year due to that.

Consistency is all I want to see out of Halak this year. I will take the highs being a bit lower if the lows are much higher.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Harley83

Ol' Glass Groin Jaroslav Colaiacovo didn't want to show his commitment to St. Louis until he realized that Elliott and Allen were sniffing for his job. Hopefully Hitch checking his ego brings out the Montreal-era Halak we all have been wishing for since he has came along. The guy has loads of natural talent and potential no doubt about it.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:55 PM
the

vCash: 50
Jaroslav Halak thrives under pressure, he knows damn well he's about to lose his job...he will come out strong this season and won't let himself get defeated that easily.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Thallis
#FREERATTIE

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
He's talking about his playoff run in Montreal, and he's right. Everyone wants to act like Halak was absolutely flawless, which is just not true. Yes he did have some amazing games and overall played well, but like that guy said, he also had some terrible games and did get pulled in every series.
The big difference is that Montreal defense wasn't anything to write home about. That run was so incredible because he was doing most of that on his own. Halak has always been better when he sees a ton of shots(he had an absurd record when facing 50 or more shots that year), which he's never gotten here. We'll see about this year, but that may be the biggest problem he's had in St. Louis, other than the obvious injury problem.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:29 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Halak has never been a A #1 goalie dating back to his Montreal days, why should now be any different over 3 years later?

For the Blues sake he'd better stay healthy this season, we will see.
By your logic, every #1 goalie has been and always was a #1 goalie. That just simply isnt true.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote