HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Halak ever stay healthy and claim the #1 job?

Old
09-23-2013, 08:42 AM
ComplianceBuyout

vCash: 500
Fantasy question : is he still scheduled to be the #1 though? Starting in ~50 games,

ComplianceBuyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:50 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Yes, but I'd guess he gets around 45. We'll play whoever is hot, so it could be 55 if he's healthy and Elliott is bad, but it could be 41 if both are playing great.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:10 AM
ComplianceBuyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Yes, but I'd guess he gets around 45. We'll play whoever is hot, so it could be 55 if he's healthy and Elliott is bad, but it could be 41 if both are playing great.
Thanks! Im debating who to keep between Halak, Hiller, Varlamov and Backstrom. Odds are Halak might not start as much as the others but should get more shutouts, hence my dilema..

In any case, i appreciate the insight!

Old
09-23-2013, 11:14 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplianceBuyout View Post
Thanks! Im debating who to keep between Halak, Hiller, Varlamov and Backstrom. Odds are Halak might not start as much as the others but should get more shutouts, hence my dilema..

I personally go with Halak because at a minimum I know I will get good wins and a good gaa and that's worst case scenario assuming he is mostly healthy. Best case scenario he ends up being one of the best fantasy goalies like he was in 11-12. If you are happy with 45 games, then I'd go with him. You just need to make sure you have other goalies to give you starts.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplianceBuyout View Post

I think I like Backstrom and Hiller a tiny bit more, personally. Hiller has Fasth nipping at his heels and has had his own injury problems, but not to the same extent as Halak. Backstrom is behind a very much improved Wild team, and with Harding's health issues and Kuemper's lack of experience, his job is pretty secure.

It depends on your stat categories, I guess. If you're looking for wins, I think Backstrom is a much safer bet. He'll have good percentages too. Halak might have more upside, but definitely not as sure a thing.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:38 AM
ComplianceBuyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I think I like Backstrom and Hiller a tiny bit more, personally. Hiller has Fasth nipping at his heels and has had his own injury problems, but not to the same extent as Halak. Backstrom is behind a very much improved Wild team, and with Harding's health issues and Kuemper's lack of experience, his job is pretty secure.

It depends on your stat categories, I guess. If you're looking for wins, I think Backstrom is a much safer bet. He'll have good percentages too. Halak might have more upside, but definitely not as sure a thing.
Yeah i know what you mean. For this pool, we're only looking at wins and shutouts. Like you said, Halak might have a bigger upside, but i need more of a sure thing, and he has two guys ready to take his place here St Louis.

Thanks again

Old
09-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

I really see Halak playing 50 games at least. it seems like this team is sort of moving away from the old and is starting to form like a true cup contender. It's hard to explain, but signing Morrow instead of Cracknell wouldn't have happened 2 years ago. The old blues would have kept cracknell because he's on a 1 way deal. Now, this team doesn't care about last years playing time, they don't care about the contract a player is on, the only thing that is cared about is getting the best roster possible. I say that in terms of goaltending as well. Not many playoff teams go far with 2 40 game goalies. They realize it's time to give one an advantage.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Renard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Sometimes (oftentimes) 1 soft goal or questionable goal in a playoff game can be all it takes to cost the team a victory.
I hope you watched the Los Angeles-Chicago series this spring. The defending cup champs had Jonathon Quick in goal. The Kings were at home and the home crowd was roaring. Quick allowed a "soft" goal by Brian Bickell. He went on to allow a couple more and was pulled. His save percentage for the game was probably under 80%. The Kings went on to lose the series.

Quick is a terrific goalie, but even he makes mistakes. So does Elliott.

If you think we can find a perfect goalie, tell us how.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:46 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I remember a certain goalie giving up soft goals in overtime of the playoffs...Twice. He won a cup the next year.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:58 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Any word or guesses on who is starting the season opener?

Who has looked best in preseason?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 04:13 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Any word or guesses on who is starting the season opener?

Who has looked best in preseason?
Halak is our #1. He will be starting and playing majority of games unless his play starts to drop.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Halak is our #1. He will be starting and playing majority of games unless his play starts to drop.
Or injures his groin/ego.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Gutchecktime

Any idea who get the start in your second game? I'm doing a fantasy pool which requires I get three goalie starts per week out of my goalies or else I lose all my goaltending points for the week. Hoping to get two starts out of Halak this week. Wasn't aware of the rule when I drafted.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

It all depends on how Jaro plays tonight. If he ends up playing well, and isn't overworked, there's a chance he'll play Saturday night. If he gets shelled or just plays meh, then it'll be Ells.

Our goaltending picture will be a lot clearer come the end of the month, when we get some games under our belt.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:00 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Any idea who get the start in your second game? I'm doing a fantasy pool which requires I get three goalie starts per week out of my goalies or else I lose all my goaltending points for the week. Hoping to get two starts out of Halak this week. Wasn't aware of the rule when I drafted.
Hitchcock plays the hot hand, Halak has to lose his starts to Elliott unless its a back-to-back game. So its a bit convenient for fantasy guys to predict who's going to show up based on their last outing.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:11 AM
91reasonsYouLose
NHL refs are morons

vCash: 50
You know I just watched the Sharks game again, and Halak really did a great job keeping the relentless SJ offense at bay. He made some fantastic saves, and really did all you can ask of anybody to keep his team in the game. His teammates let him down with stupid penalties, and being unable to clear the puck from their own end, leaving Halak always under duress. Our offense is what let down in that game, not the goalie, who did show up to play, and was still playing hard when the LaPierre hit on Boyle took the wind out of the rest of the teams sails. They just didn't offer him much support against a fired up Sharks team that didn't let up anywhere on the ice.

I haven't seen the stats yet, but I'd be interested to see our number of turnovers in the neutral zone, and total puck possession time for the Sharks. I bet both are staggering.

91reasonsYouLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:48 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNoteAndCupDreams View Post
You know I just watched the Sharks game again, and Halak really did a great job keeping the relentless SJ offense at bay. He made some fantastic saves, and really did all you can ask of anybody to keep his team in the game. His teammates let him down with stupid penalties, and being unable to clear the puck from their own end, leaving Halak always under duress. Our offense is what let down in that game, not the goalie, who did show up to play, and was still playing hard when the LaPierre hit on Boyle took the wind out of the rest of the teams sails. They just didn't offer him much support against a fired up Sharks team that didn't let up anywhere on the ice.

I haven't seen the stats yet, but I'd be interested to see our number of turnovers in the neutral zone, and total puck possession time for the Sharks. I bet both are staggering.
Fast forwards that win on the boards seem to really fluster our team, we almost never cover the points directly and just try to block the shot down low, and any puck that comes out from behind the net has room to get through because half the players are looking for the shooter not the pass squeezing through their sticks and skates.

Once they force the goalies to start making those big lateral moves the defense scrambles and gives up shooting lanes trying to catch up to the play.

That's usually when they send the puck around the points and get a really hard shot towards the net or can getting a good rebound / one timer down low on the weak side.

There's certainly not a lot you can do when a team has a good cycle going except create a mistake on their end. However we rarely seem to take away the shot while its still on the shooter's stick which leads to some really good odd-man rushes on other teams that do it against us. I'd like to see us attack the points more, but maybe that just adds to the chaos and gives up more ice in front of the net rather than result in takeaways.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:15 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Yeah, when Halak proves he can start 60+ regular season games then wins a Stanley Cup will I consider Halak a #1 goalie. Until then, I'm skeptical and I'm not alone in that assessment since Halak has done neither.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
halaktarasenkofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Yeah, when Halak proves he can start 60+ regular season games then wins a Stanley Cup will I consider Halak a #1 goalie. Until then, I'm skeptical and I'm not alone in that assessment since Halak has done neither.
he is your # 1 and u will deal

halaktarasenkofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:16 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
He has to start 60 games AND win the Cup to be a number 1? Lundqvist, Rinne, Schneider, Price, Lehtonen, Anderson, Rask, Miller, Howard, Smith, Crawford, Luongo, Bobrovsky etc. are not number 1 goalies? There aren't many guys in the league that fit your description of a number 1. You have unrealistic expectations.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
If winning a cup is one of the deciding factors if a goalie is a number one then there's a ton of goalies that aren't number a one. It takes more than just a goalie to win the cup. A number 1 is a number 1, regardless of the quality of team they play on.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:56 PM
mtxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
If winning a cup is one of the deciding factors if a goalie is a number one then there's a ton of goalies that aren't number a one. It takes more than just a goalie to win the cup. A number 1 is a number 1, regardless of the quality of team they play on.
Halak plays against good teams and Elliott gets bottom dwellers like Calgary.

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:21 PM
halaktarasenkofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
Halak plays against good teams and Elliott gets bottom dwellers like Calgary.
....oh !! well .....

Old
11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
LightSoundGeometry*
Light,Sound,Geometry

already feels like I am seeing way TOO MUCH of elliott in goal this year

we can argue back and forth all day, but I am not comfortable with the goalie situation in saint louis

LightSoundGeometry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
halaktarasenkofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSoundGeometry View Post
already feels like I am seeing way TOO MUCH of elliott in goal this year

we can argue back and forth all day, but I am not comfortable with the goalie situation in saint louis
elliott only play 3 games!!
Halak 11