HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If Galchenyuk puts back to back 80 point seasons it will be hard to justify giving him a 2.5 million two year bridge contract. Hell the standard wasn't even applied to Desharnais who cashed out without proving anything.
Deshanrais' deal wasn't a "bridge" contract beacuse he had only one RFA year left. Bridge contracts are usually cheap because they only buy RFA years.

Plus DD proving "nothing " is pretty comical after he put up 60 points in 11-12. You can argue it was a career year and he won't duplicate it, but you can't say he's proven "nothing" when he showed he could put up 60 points.

Anybody saying Desharnais' 4 year 14 mil going into UFA(would be in July 2014) is overpayment for a top 2 center is out of touch with the real world, especially when RFA guys like Kadri get 2 years almost 6 mil and Hodgson 6 years and 25.5 mil, mostly for RFA years.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Love to see my boy Émile Poirier impressive at the Flames camp. Great pick to say the least. Can't wait to see who from Mantha, Gauthier or Poirier will have a greater career.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:52 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Deshanrais' deal wasn't a "bridge" contract beacuse he had only one RFA year left. Bridge contracts are usually cheap because they only buy RFA years.

Plus DD proving "nothing " is pretty comical after he put up 60 points in 11-12. You can argue it was a career year and he won't duplicate it, but you can't say he's proven "nothing" when he showed he could put up 60 points.

Anybody saying Desharnais' 4 year 14 mil going into UFA(would be in July 2014) is overpayment for a top 2 center is out of touch with the real world, especially when RFA guys like Kadri get 2 years almost 6 mil and Hodgson 6 years and 25.5 mil, mostly for RFA years.
For 4 year 14 million to be overpayment for a top 2 center, would imply that Desharnais is a top 2 center. Just because our coach is stupid enough to play him as a number 1 center doesn't mean he is one.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I'd say its you...
Yeah same here.

Plus they just named Spezza captain.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
For 4 year 14 million to be overpayment for a top 2 center, would imply that Desharnais is a top 2 center. Just because our coach is stupid enough to play him as a number 1 center doesn't mean he is one.
When has Therien ever used DD as a #1 center?

Bottom line, DD's production since Oct 2011 is up to the low end #1 center to high end #2. Saying he isn't a top 2 NHL center is simply arguing against facts.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:00 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Bottom line, DD's production since Oct 2011 is up to the low end #1 center to high end #2. Saying he isn't a top 2 NHL center is simply arguing against facts.
Regardless of which side of the argument you're on, just using points is as shallow an argument you can make.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:03 AM
macavoy

I live in Texas, should I get center ice or should I try that hockeystreams thing?

Old
09-15-2013, 09:43 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I live in Texas, should I get center ice or should I try that hockeystreams thing?
if hockeystream.com was a woman, i'd marry her

Old
09-15-2013, 09:43 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Regardless of which side of the argument you're on, just using points is as shallow an argument you can make.
If your going to argue that he gets sheltered minutes it was the Eller line that got them last year ir more the Galchenyuk line to protect the kid. But we all know is the second coming of god !

Old
09-15-2013, 09:44 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
If your going to argue that he gets sheltered minutes it was the Eller line that got them last year ir more the Galchenyuk line to protect the kid. But we all know is the second coming of god !
zone starts, quality of competition, PP time, quality of linemates

ie: context

You seem quite insecure about something.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Andy

Quote:

If all it takes from a player is to put up 60 points in one season to be called proven, then you would make a terrible GM. You'd be the type to throw money at Ville Leino for one good season.

Desharnais is not proven. He had one good season on a last place team playing with the team's two best wingers getting soft minutes. He was borderline awful for the majority of last season and got a hefty raise for it.

Subban has been the team's number 1 d-man since the 09-10 playoffs. Desharnais has been a burden.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:52 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
zone starts, quality of competition, PP time, quality of linemates

ie: context

You seem quite insecure about something.
Believe it or not I actually prefer Eller to Desharnais.

But, I don't hate Desharnais and I can give him credit for what he did. Plus, i've seen the Eller Desharnais a thousand time.

For the offensive zone start, he did get the offensive line minutes but probably was always put against other teams best shutdown line.

Plekanec got the defensive line minutes and it only makes sense because he's our best center for that kind of job.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Tyson

Desharnais is exactly what is wrong in Montreal. Make no mistake he is a good little offensive player BUT you will never win a championship with this type of player eating minutes on the PP and top two lines. He is way to small and is one dimensional. Guys like Pleks and Eller can kill penalties and line up against the top offensive players of other teams. DD signing to a 4 year extension was Bergevins in's first major mistake as GM.

Old
09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Desharnais is exactly what is wrong in Montreal. Make no mistake he is a good little offensive player BUT you will never win a championship with this type of player eating minutes on the PP and top two lines. He is way to small and is one dimensional. Guys like Pleks and Eller can kill penalties and line up against the top offensive players of other teams. DD signing to a 4 year extension was Bergevins in's first major mistake as GM.
I'm fine with Desharnais on the team. What I'm not fine with is having 5 smurfs.

It's fine to have a small guy here and there and Desharnais is a creative little center. He should be used on the 3rd line for scoring depth. We shouldn't be tying Paccioretty to this guy. I don't mind DD at all, I'm just not happy with how we're likely going to be using him and Briere.

Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher... those guys should be getting easier minutes and PP time.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:13 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

When he's put him with the best wingers on the team..
Puts him on the first PP-wave
Always on the 5-on-3..

He's played DD as a top 2 line center and outside of DD being fortunate to be on the ice with great talent, he's done nothing beneficial for the team.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:38 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
When he's put him with the best wingers on the team..
Puts him on the first PP-wave
Always on the 5-on-3..

He's played DD as a top 2 line center and outside of DD being fortunate to be on the ice with great talent, he's done nothing beneficial for the team.
I think it's too soon to say that because even in his 60 points season a lot of this forum were in his back because they rooted more for Eller while Desharnais gave the obsolutely no reason to complain.

I hate to complain about Gorges but he also had an off year last year he also is smallish but he gets the preferencial treatment because he's not stealing the place of a young favorite and also is more the warrior type than the finesse guy.

I think in Desharnais's case this year is more important because if he's going back to his 60 points form he becomes a bargain. People judging him on a 48 game season were just waiting for him to fail and now are proud to say he's finish when in fact they never gave him a chance to come back from his first real slump in the nhl.

I guess what I want to say is that only time will tell but I'm all for giving him a chance and putting him with offensive guys because that's in those situation that he can be really helpful for the team. This year will tell us more than last year on the player he's going to be for the rest of his career.

Plekanec had a 39 point season in his third year also it's not like he's never had that kind of slump.

Gorges was injured for a long stretch 3 years ago and he was easily replacable in fact his absence was nearly unnoticed.

People forget amd people are impatient, that's the 2 things I'm sure of. As for the future of certain players... I have a tendencie to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
jwolf

Is this not the "out of town" thread? Oh yeah... I forgot: DD can be bashed and defended in any and all threads.
Carry on...

Old
09-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

Um last year?

Saying DD was not used as our 1st line center last year is like saying Pacioretty played on the 2nd line last season.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Is this not the "out of town" thread? Oh yeah... I forgot: DD can be bashed and defended in any and all threads.
Carry on...
DD's transgressions know no bounds.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Carry on...
Out of Town is exactly where people would like DD to get to, hence completely on topic...

Old
09-15-2013, 12:42 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
DD's transgressions know no bounds.
Reminds me of the scene in Family Guy when Peter fights the Chicken and the brawl knows no boundaries.

Who shall prevail!? Guess we'll find out this season.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Carry on...
Oops, you're right sorry.

Let's bash Carey Price now...

Old
09-15-2013, 05:30 PM
jedimyrmidon

Ha, it's happening again: watching the Leafs pre-season game and they're up 3-0 10min into the first period over the Flyers. Granted, the Flyers D must be in shambles, but the Leafs convert a large number of their chances.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
if hockeystream.com was a woman, i'd marry her
If Obama had a son, he would look like hockeystreams.com.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:35 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Ha, it's happening again: watching the Leafs pre-season game and they're up 3-0 10min into the first period over the Flyers. Granted, the Flyers D must be in shambles, but the Leafs convert a large number of their chances.
It has to do with the system I believe, we were the same under Martin.

Closed Thread