HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brett Hull to be named Vice President of the Blues

Old
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 500
Brett Hull to be named Vice President of the Blues

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...1e959a0ed.html

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

His twitter mysteriously disappeared as well.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:45 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
His twitter mysteriously disappeared as well.
I didn't notice that. He was a bit....abrasive.... on Twitter Not surprised it's gone.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:59 PM
jarmoismyhero

Did not read the article but I assume this is a figure head job and he will not have anything to do with the hockey operations at least I hope that is what this is.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:04 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Love how ownership is cutting costs and they give Hull a position on the business side.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
VP of being Brett Hull around the corporations so they feel like they're even getting more for their money.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:25 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Love how ownership is cutting costs and they give Hull a position on the business side.
He should be calculated to bring in corporate money. His job will be to schmooze and hobnob with business partners for the Blues, remind people of the glory days.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:27 AM
BlueDream

I like it. I think he still has a lot of passion for this team and city and glad he is part of the organization.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
If he can bring in a lot more business (on the corporate side) than his salary than it's a worthy investment. That's one of the things Stillman is focused on in his quest for revenue growth. Presumably, Hull came to his senses relative to last year (based on the rumors) and agreed upon a reasonable salary.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I know a couple higher-ups in those corporations that left the Blues and the reason they didn't come back was sneaky contracts, especially around the lockout time. For example a law firm would have still had to pay for the entire season, even if games were missed due to the lockout. Ownership has pissed a lot of people off and business people aren't just going to go back because of the chance to meet with Brett Hull.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:17 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Nice to see the Golden Brett back with the Blues in a management position, he should have never left in the first place one of the biggest blunders in the 47 years of this franchise. Welcome back to where you belong Brett Hull!

It still hurts to see Hull winning the Cup with Dallas in '99 and even more pain winning the Cup again in Detroit... After that regime resigned concussion prone Geoff Courtnall instead, only to see Court's playing days end in early '99 from a serious concussion suffered by a cheap shot by the Sharks Owen Nolen. Brett Hull was the face of the Blues for a decade but of course his attitude pissed off the brass so they just let him walk away for nothing in return.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:54 PM
tfriede2

I understand the allure from the business perspective, but doesn't anyone else think Hull may help (just a little bit) in luring free agents to STL? MacInnis has been known to assist in recruiting by giving sales pitches about the city, Blues history, etc. - I would have to imagine that getting a call from Brett Hull (especially if the free agent is a forward) would be a good thing for the Blues.

I certainly don't think Hull would be a significant determining factor for UFA's, but he might have a little bit of sway, perhaps?

Queue the "Hull won't bring in UFA's - winning will"...OR "Being a big city in the East will bring in UFA's - Hull and winning won't" - haha, yes, I understand both of those perspectives.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I don't know if it actually has an impact, but having guys like Big Al and Hully selling the city to free agents certainly can't hurt. They know what the city is like when the Blues are a true powerhouse, and how the city supports their (successful) sports teams. Winning would help quite a bit more, though

Old
09-06-2013, 03:34 PM
BlueDream

Well if the Blues think he can help them then I'm good with that. Us fans really have no idea what goes on.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:23 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
This is very good move for the team and is money well spent trying to recruit corporate support. With Hull's personality and accomplishments he'll give the corporate heads much more for their money, because if I was investing a large amount then I might be inclined to ask or demand as a condition if Hull could make an appearance or two for my corporate outings.

Knowing this would probably be a big part of his job, Hull probably will receive a salary plus commission/appearance fees. The only question is with a personality like Hull's will he get bored easy, I would say probably not as easily if he's making a little money.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Well if the Blues think he can help them then I'm good with that. Us fans really have no idea what goes on.
No kidding

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:49 AM
BrokenFace

Quote:
I know a couple higher-ups in those corporations that left the Blues and the reason they didn't come back was sneaky contracts, especially around the lockout time. For example a law firm would have still had to pay for the entire season, even if games were missed due to the lockout. Ownership has pissed a lot of people off and business people aren't just going to go back because of the chance to meet with Brett Hull.
I hadn't heard anything about this. You mean this recent lockout or the full season one?

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:04 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenFace View Post
I hadn't heard anything about this. You mean this recent lockout or the full season one?
The recent one. It's not news that would come out. To sum it up, it was a law firm that always had a box, but they stopped getting one for a few years, they were going to get one again, but the contract that they Blues made was really sketchy.

Business tip, don't write up a sneaky contract for a law firm since sneaky contracts is kind of their thing. If anyone is going to read the fine-print, it's going to be a law firm.

Old
09-07-2013, 01:26 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

the #16 propaganda machine is already in full force by the Blues

no matter where you watch any Blues stuff, Hull is everywhere!

but I gonna miss his twitter feed. his permanent Buffalo trolling was kinda funny...at times...annoying too but still funny!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Green Star

If this is gonna turn into a Dallas with Niewendyk (sp?) or Sakic with Avs this will be a bad move if Hull is ever gonna get that kind of position/Power within the Blues organisation.

Green Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 02:08 PM
STL Blues Fan

vCash: 50
They just said during the Cardinals game they are going to have a press conference for Hull tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. central live on FSMW!!!

STL Blues Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Yeah, that was utter crap. Also, any advertising (dasherboards, etc.) was to be paid out as if it was a full season. At least at first.

I have been told that was in part due to old contracts that had not been amended...not that they would have likely taken it very well if someone who did sign the contract would refuse to pay afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
I certainly don't think Hull would be a significant determining factor for UFA's, but he might have a little bit of sway, perhaps?
Yes, likely something like this:

"I would have to play for the same organization that employs that loud-mouth? Perhaps staying in the East is not so bad after all..."

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
From the lock-out time?

Different ownership, different management.....I have a hard time believing successful business folks are going to discriminate against the organization after those changes. Its like refusing to go to a restaurant that you know has changed hands and hired a new award-winning chef, because the old owner was a *********.

I think local businesses just need to see value in their association with the Blues. They need to see that their advertising is going to reach a wider audience, and be associated with WINNING. Frankly, winning will take care of everything. Brett Hull's attraction (if there is much) is that he's associated with winning, both a Cup winner and with an era of relative success for the Blues.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
From the lock-out time?

Different ownership, different management.....I have a hard time believing successful business folks are going to discriminate against the organization after those changes. Its like refusing to go to a restaurant that you know has changed hands and hired a new award-winning chef, because the old owner was a *********.

I think local businesses just need to see value in their association with the Blues. They need to see that their advertising is going to reach a wider audience, and be associated with WINNING. Frankly, winning will take care of everything. Brett Hull's attraction (if there is much) is that he's associated with winning, both a Cup winner and with an era of relative success for the Blues.
No, this was the Stillman group. Hell, the Checketts group probably would've given away the arena if it made them a quick $5.

It's also not about the ads, but the law firms and accounting firms and other firms owning luxury boxes or club seats. There's other things these firms want to treat their clients to and they are fed up with the lack of customer service.

Any season ticket holder would agree the customer service has sucked under Stillman and I know one of the ticket reps personally aside from my own rep. They both say that the new ownership doesn't care about the STH's and they just want to cut as much costs as possible.

Checketts made poor revenue decisions and Stillman is making poor cost decisions.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:12 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
No, this was the Stillman group. Hell, the Checketts group probably would've given away the arena if it made them a quick $5.

It's also not about the ads, but the law firms and accounting firms and other firms owning luxury boxes or club seats. There's other things these firms want to treat their clients to and they are fed up with the lack of customer service.

Any season ticket holder would agree the customer service has sucked under Stillman and I know one of the ticket reps personally aside from my own rep. They both say that the new ownership doesn't care about the STH's and they just want to cut as much costs as possible.

Checketts made poor revenue decisions and Stillman is making poor cost decisions.
Its a sad state when you have to specify WHICH lock-out you're talking about.