HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (9/11-10/3)

Old
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
I'm not counting Nathan Horton at this point since we have 2 months until he returns. Injuries can working things out a ton by that time. I'm strictly looking at opening night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Horton's return is probably 2 months off. Odds are at least one of the forwards will be injured by that point. There probably won't be an odd man out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Indeed. It's more likely we'll see additional forwards than only need the minimum.
All good points.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Porty posted his projected club on opening night, no surprises.

Locks (12): Artem Anisimov, Cam Atkinson, Jared Boll, Matt Calvert, Blake Comeau, Brandon Dubinsky, Nick Foligno, Marian Gaborik, Ryan Johansen, Mark Letestu, Derek MacKenzie, R.J. Umberger.

Looking good (2): Boone Jenner, Jack Skille.

Bubble (3): Cody Bass, Sean Collins.

Out (12): Alex Aleardi, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Michael Chaput, Ryan Craig, Jake Hansen, Andrew Joudrey, Jeremy Langlois, Broc Little, Spencer Machacek, Kerby Rychel, Lukas Sedlak, Dalton Smith, Trent Vogelhuber.

Injured (1): Nathan Horton.

DEFENSEMEN

Locks (5): Jack Johnson, Nikita Nikitin, Dalton Prout, Fedor Tyutin, James Wisniewski.

Looking good (2): Tim Erixon, Ryan Murray.

Bubble (3): Cody Goloubef, Ilari Melart, David Savard.

Out (7): Thomas Larkin, Joe Lavin, Austin Madaisky, Patrick McNeill, Blake Parlett, Frederic St. Denis, Will Weber.

GOALTENDERS

Locks (2): Sergei Bobrovsky, Curtis McElhinney.

Out (2): Mike McKenna, Jeremy Smith.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Dystopian Nightmare

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Full list of cuts

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...own-to-33.html

Quote:
Headed to Springfield for the start of AHL camp next week are forwards Alex Aleardi, Sean Collins, Jake Hansen, Andrew Joudrey, Jeremy Langlois, Broc Little, Spencer Machacek, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Lukas Sedlak, Dalton Smith and Trent Vogelhuber and defensemen Thomas Larkin, Joe Lavin, Austin Madaisky, Patrick McNeill, Blake Barlett and Frederic St. Denis. Machacek, McNeill and St. Denis must clear waivers to remain with the Falcons.
Surprised JAM didn't even last past the first cut.

09-19-2013, 03:59 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

I'll pose a question for discussion: How many goals does everyone think the team is capable of scoring this year? I think it's a good sign that scoring hasn't really been an issue in the preseason so far. And not only that, but the scoring is coming from all of the expected "scoring forwards". Umberger looks faster, Boone looks great, and scoring more than I expected, same with Joey. Cam is great, and even Letestu had picked up where he left off it seems. Even getting some quality goals from the defense too. And we've played against, and scored on, all of the teams NHL starting goalies.

So my question remains, how many goals are we capable of scoring? More than the rest of the league expects? Also has everyone been pleased with what they've seen so far? Disappointed with anything?

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 05:26 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
I'll pose a question for discussion: How many goals does everyone think the team is capable of scoring this year? I think it's a good sign that scoring hasn't really been an issue in the preseason so far. And not only that, but the scoring is coming from all of the expected "scoring forwards". Umberger looks faster, Boone looks great, and scoring more than I expected, same with Joey. Cam is great, and even Letestu had picked up where he left off it seems. Even getting some quality goals from the defense too. And we've played against, and scored on, all of the teams NHL starting goalies.

So my question remains, how many goals are we capable of scoring? More than the rest of the league expects? Also has everyone been pleased with what they've seen so far? Disappointed with anything?
The biggest factor is having a full year of a healthy Gaborik. If Gabby stays healthy, we could be middle of the pack in scoring this year.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 05:27 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Full list of cuts

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...own-to-33.html

Surprised JAM didn't even last past the first cut.
Not me. Not even a little bit. He's a career AHLer.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 05:46 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I propose we call him "JamAhl."

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:54 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Yup. Had this discussion on here a few months ago and was shocked at the number of people who still consider him a legit prospect.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:08 PM
CalBuckeyeRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post

The team scored 198 the last full season in 2011-12 which put them 26th. The mid-point was about 217. Not sure why the team couldn't get into that range as they appear to have much more depth of scoring options.

CalBuckeyeRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:06 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Yup. Had this discussion on here a few months ago and was shocked at the number of people who still consider him a legit prospect.
Because honestly the only reason i feel he hasn't gotten more games in the NHL (besides discipline) is Calvert clearly beat him out and hasn't looked back. It would be tough to have that many small guys on the ice. I feel as though JAM has the potential to be another PA Parenteau. Not that extreme but I think he could go to a place where he gets a chance and goes with it. That won't be here but that doesn't mean he's just some guy that has no chance in the NHL. Savard is a pretty similar situation

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

I've never been terribly high on Audy-Marchessault, and for the life of me could not figure out some people's obsession with him. It's not often that top prospects are left as free agents at age 21 ... there's a reason we were able to sign him uncontested. Have to look at it from a logical perspective, in that sense.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:01 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I've never been terribly high on Audy-Marchessault, and for the life of me could not figure out some people's obsession with him. It's not often that top prospects are left as free agents at age 21 ... there's a reason we were able to sign him uncontested. Have to look at it from a logical perspective, in that sense.
That's more circular logic than anything else

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:44 AM
EDM

When JAM was here for his cup of coffee last year, he looked terrible. Floated on the outside looking for loose pucks, afraid to mix it up with real NHL'ers. When he actually got a puck on his stick, he got rid of it as soon as he could. No attempt to make a pass that would actually help out. I thought he was just what he is a smallish, rather skilled career AHL'er.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
That's more circular logic than anything else
Say what you want, but feel free to look back on any of my posts and see if I ever mention Audy-Marchessault as anything more than an AHL player.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Gordonx11
#CatsAreComing

Hey guys Panther fan coming in piece here. Just wondering how Jack Skille is doing? I was a big fan of him when he was with FLA, its too bad we let him go.

Gordonx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:03 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonx11 View Post
Hey guys Panther fan coming in piece here. Just wondering how Jack Skille is doing? I was a big fan of him when he was with FLA, its too bad we let him go.
He's big and fast, but looks like he lacks hockey sense. He looks like he'd be about the 15th or so best forward in the organization, so he won't be starting the year in Columbus.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Gordonx11
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
He's big and fast, but looks like he lacks hockey sense. He looks like he'd be about the 15th or so best forward in the organization, so he won't be starting the year in Columbus.
Thanks for the report

Gordonx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:10 PM
major major

At this point I'm comfortable starting the season with Jenner at top line LW. He has better scoring touch than all the other candidates, perhaps excepting Letestu, and looks like a real power-forward winger out there.

Also I'm hoping we find a way to keep Savard off waivers. He looks so much better. He won a lot of puck battles tonight and put the puck in really good areas for breakouts. Combine that with his powerplay prowess that's a player you want to keep. Two weeks ago I was hoping we would keep him off waivers by trading him for a pick, now I want him on our roster.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Doug19

Savards power play prowess has to be one of the larger exaggerations I've consistently seen around here for some time.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:30 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Savards power play prowess has to be one of the larger exaggerations I've consistently seen around here for some time.
He hasn't shown it off lately, but that was his main skill in juniors, and he piled up the points in the AHL as well.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Doug19

Juniors was a long time ago. Heck in the AHL I'm sure Savard is even considered an average skater, but we see how well that skating looks in the NHL. Just my opinion, but I'm 100% fine losing Savard to waivers, and I'm 95% sure no NHL team would put in a claim for him if he made it past the Flames.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Just listened to the Puck Rakers Cannon Fodder podcast. In the most recent on (Thursday) they said they both think Murray, Jenner, and Erixon have cemented their spots on the team, and that Golo, Savard, Melart, go to waivers/AHL. Porty also assumed they would carry two extra F's and only one extra D (Swapping Murray/Erixon on some nights)

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
You guys are going to have a very good team this year and I mean very.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:14 AM
thebus2288*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Just listened to the Puck Rakers Cannon Fodder podcast. In the most recent on (Thursday) they said they both think Murray, Jenner, and Erixon have cemented their spots on the team, and that Golo, Savard, Melart, go to waivers/AHL. Porty also assumed they would carry two extra F's and only one extra D (Swapping Murray/Erixon on some nights)
Sounds right.

thebus2288* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 02:45 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Not sure how Jenner doesn't make the team. He doesn't look "good for a youngster", he's the best or 2nd best forward on the ice when he's played.
Rookie of the Year.

I'm not sayin'

I'm just sayin'