HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Central Hockey League - The Slow Spin Down the Bowl Continues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2014, 12:50 PM
  #276
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
You gotta be kidding me.

All he's trying to do is put a patchwork team in the CHL in hopes to keep the league around. If you're Casper, wouldn't the ECHL be a better choice? Yes, there's Denver and Rapid City, but in the ECHL, you got Colorado, Idaho, and Utah... and even Alaska if you want to think that hard about it.

If Casper doesn't agree to this, the CHL is kaput.
Would the ECHL want Casper?

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:35 PM
  #277
mk80
Registered User
 
mk80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
I think the ECHL would take Casper. However at this point it wouldn't be for next season. The ECHL like to have that year of preparation befor begining play, even though it doesn't always help (SF, and Chicago). But I think they would take them if they had a year to set up the team and prepare, especially with the ECHL needing to add to its western conference. Its why I see the Arizona Sundogs making a go in the ECHL for a few years after the CHL collapses.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  #278
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
I think the ECHL would take Casper. However at this point it wouldn't be for next season. The ECHL like to have that year of preparation befor begining play, even though it doesn't always help (SF, and Chicago). But I think they would take them if they had a year to set up the team and prepare, especially with the ECHL needing to add to its western conference. Its why I see the Arizona Sundogs making a go in the ECHL for a few years after the CHL collapses.
Prescott is about double the market size if you add the nearby populated parts of Yavapai County. Not that too many people there want to be indoors during the winter.

Of course I thought Prescott was even bigger than that already. Why the frack does Prescott have a team, Casper have an arena, and Bend OR squat?

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 10:20 PM
  #279
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83
 
Gearhead82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Any bets on if there'll be a 14-15 CHL season?

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 11:16 PM
  #280
tvboy11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
How big is Casper, 60,000 people? I think they'd get decent corporate support (it seems there's some oil money there). But how would they draw attendance-wise?

tvboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 11:46 AM
  #281
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvboy11 View Post
How big is Casper, 60,000 people? I think they'd get decent corporate support (it seems there's some oil money there). But how would they draw attendance-wise?
According to the 2010 census, 55,316.

The corporate support is there, but the attendance might be an issue.

The arena itself can hold 8,200, or about 17% of the population, but most CHL games are lucky to break the 2,500 mark. Also, you're dealing with an area, not just the city, that would love to see any kind of pro sport, considering all Wyoming has is one Division 1 school (and not a good one at that) and an indoor football team.

He's gonna be selling this long and hard, and it kinda has a Lyle Lanley feel to it where he's pushing a bad product to a town of yokels, knowing they'll lap it up.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 11:47 AM
  #282
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Any bets on if there'll be a 14-15 CHL season?
If Casper is approved, 100%.

If Casper declines, 50%.

If Casper declines and another team, most likely Brampton, folds, 0%.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 03:01 PM
  #283
Artie Fufkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvboy11 View Post
How big is Casper, 60,000 people? I think they'd get decent corporate support (it seems there's some oil money there). But how would they draw attendance-wise?
Some people like to compare Casper to Rapid City. Both are small cities (56,000 and 65,000) with no Division I college or other professional sports in direct competition. But there's a big difference when you get outside the city limits. The population in the Rapid City metro is around 140,000. The metro population in Casper is around 80,000. Much less room for error.

Elmira, in the ECHL, has a metro population of around 90,000, but has larger metro areas adjacent to it. Casper doesn't have that luxury.

Artie Fufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 03:40 PM
  #284
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
The arena itself can hold 8,200, or about 17% of the population, but most CHL games are lucky to break the 2,500 mark. Also, you're dealing with an area, not just the city, that would love to see any kind of pro sport, considering all Wyoming has is one Division 1 school (and not a good one at that) and an indoor football team.
You'd think the indoor football team would sell out their games, no? Nothing doing there.

Cattle with disposable income would greatly improve their prospects. I don't think they've bred such an animal yet.

(The real answer to that "pro sports-starved" region is simply the lack of density throughout the state, and I'm decent with boring answers, but when the fruit hangs THAT low...)

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 04:53 PM
  #285
JB51Hockey
51Hockey
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
You'd think it would work but for some reason teams in the middle of nowhere rarely succeed.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:11 PM
  #286
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
You'd think the indoor football team would sell out their games, no? Nothing doing there.

Cattle with disposable income would greatly improve their prospects. I don't think they've bred such an animal yet.

(The real answer to that "pro sports-starved" region is simply the lack of density throughout the state, and I'm decent with boring answers, but when the fruit hangs THAT low...)
I'm trying to be nice... and exploring the mind of the CHL commissioner as to why he'd put a team in a sparsely populated region in America's least populated state.

In truth, all this screams "desperation", and as I said, this is the plot of "Marge vs. the Monorail" with a hockey team instead of a cheap train. This is not gonna end well if the CHL succeeds.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 01:05 AM
  #287
Thunderfan23
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
... but most CHL games are lucky to break the 2,500 mark...
The CHL averaged over 3,700 per game last year. Do your research next time.
http://pointstreak.com/prostats/atte...seasonid=11255

Thunderfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 03:01 PM
  #288
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfan23 View Post
The CHL averaged over 3,700 per game last year. Do your research next time.
http://pointstreak.com/prostats/atte...seasonid=11255
Hey, I wasn't the first guy who guesstimated a sum and I certainly won't be the last. Besides, I didn't know they actually tracked those figures.

Those figures work in the Rapid City example, but if they did it in Casper, wouldn't it be just like Brampton's?

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:22 PM
  #289
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
http://k2radio.com/city-of-casper-we...key-franchise/

Add this to the already difficult (unpopulated) market for the CHL to enter: The Casper Coyotes will begin play in the Western States Hockey League (Tier III Jr.)

It's not the USHL or major Jr. level, but Casper seems like a decent market for a lower level Jr. team. The WSHL has also had an uptick in talent and sending players to College over the past few seasons so it will compete with a CHL team for affordable family sport entertainment.

I think Jr. hockey in Casper has a much higher chance of success than minor pro. If ice does go in at the Casper Events Center and the WSHL Coyotes have success at the gate, the team could even look to the NAHL or USHL as options down the road.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 05:39 PM
  #290
Avsrule2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
http://k2radio.com/city-of-casper-we...key-franchise/

Add this to the already difficult (unpopulated) market for the CHL to enter: The Casper Coyotes will begin play in the Western States Hockey League (Tier III Jr.)

It's not the USHL or major Jr. level, but Casper seems like a decent market for a lower level Jr. team. The WSHL has also had an uptick in talent and sending players to College over the past few seasons so it will compete with a CHL team for affordable family sport entertainment.

I think Jr. hockey in Casper has a much higher chance of success than minor pro. If ice does go in at the Casper Events Center and the WSHL Coyotes have success at the gate, the team could even look to the NAHL or USHL as options down the road.
I totally agree with this. A WSHL team has a chance there. Add in the fact that there will be teams in Cheyenne, Ft. Collins, CO, Boulder CO, and Denver next year and you have a nice division with easy travel.
It will be interesting to see how the team does at the gate this year. Cheyenne was like 2nd or 3rd in league attendance last year. But I don't see the CHL working there.

Avsrule2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 05:43 PM
  #291
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Just so you know, WSHL games won't be at the Events Center. Seems like someone (or a couple someones) are making the wrong inference. There's a local ice arena hosting WSHL.

On that note, check out McCall, ID some time. Nice place to take in a sunny day and an evening of home-cooked refereeing... well, the Junior Steelheads actually do have the talent level to smash opponents anyway.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:11 PM
  #292
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Just so you know, WSHL games won't be at the Events Center. Seems like someone (or a couple someones) are making the wrong inference. There's a local ice arena hosting WSHL...
I do know, and the Casper Ice Arena is a nice fit for a WSHL team. My earlier point was that IF the WSHL team did well on the ice and has solid attendance, Casper could be a nice fit for the NAHL or USHL level of Jr. Hky. The NAHL could probably do okay staying in the current rink but a USHL team would need the Casper Events Center with ice making equipment.

But it doesn't really matter if the Coyotes' owners have any high level Jr. aspirations. The WSHL is going to take a chunk of attendance out of the CHL and combined with other problems, plus a small market, that leads me to give the CHL Casper team a season of existence. A CHL departure would leave the CEC with ice equipment and be an opportunity for the Coyotes to move in and move up.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:13 PM
  #293
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
The report says the Casper Ice Arena. Not as big as the Events Center, but it's a good start, and better for the city, it's a safe alternative to some guy promising the idea of playing one or two local teams. 5 clubs are nearby, and if Cheyenne is doing good, then Casper has a chance.

So, they clearly can't support TWO franchises, and they already have the Coyotes finalized, so I think the CHL won't be playing there next season.

Which now begs the question... will there be a next season? I said that if Casper failed, and for intensive purposes, it has, I gave them a 50% chance.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:35 AM
  #294
change on the fly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: midwest
Country: United States
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
That would be surprising to me that a very low level, pay to play, jr A (really a jr b league compared to the eastern tier III) playing out of a youth hockey rink would take a big chunk of attendance out of a AA pro hockey team. If that's true, they have no chance of success.

change on the fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:15 PM
  #295
paul-laus
Registered User
 
paul-laus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
So is the CHL going ahead with nine teams with the loss of the Chill? This becomes even more laughable with the now infamous presser "CHL to expand by a maximum of 2 teams" that was put out in the fall by the league. The way that this can be construed and is open to interpretation is just right in line with what we expect from the league. People have believed for two years that the league would not drop below the ten mark......if they do, they will hit a new rock bottom this coming season....

paul-laus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
  #296
Thunderfan23
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Hey, I wasn't the first guy who guesstimated a sum and I certainly won't be the last. Besides, I didn't know they actually tracked those figures.
Why wouldn't they track those numbers in this day and age? Do some research before you make a comment about a certain subject you might not know about.

Thunderfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 08:37 AM
  #297
spazway49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
A bit random, but would the Allen Americans be able to compete in the ECHL?

spazway49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:49 PM
  #298
Yog S'loth
Registered User
 
Yog S'loth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazway49 View Post
A bit random, but would the Allen Americans be able to compete in the ECHL?
I bet they could. They are clearly the class of the CHL, and players like Colton Yellow Horn and Jim McKenize have shown the ability to excel in the ECHL. It's only a matter of time before Allen makes the jump.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 11:11 PM
  #299
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
I bet they could. They are clearly the class of the CHL, and players like Colton Yellow Horn and Jim McKenize have shown the ability to excel in the ECHL. It's only a matter of time before Allen makes the jump.
Allen is now under a 3 team ownership, so it's unlikely

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:10 PM
  #300
ripham23232
Registered User
 
ripham23232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas Area
Country: United States
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfan23 View Post
Why wouldn't they track those numbers in this day and age? Do some research before you make a comment about a certain subject you might not know about.
Before you kill the guy for making an estimated guess, perhaps you should purchase a few grains of salt before thinking the CHL published attendance numbers are the end all be all gospel...

If you're looking to discuss attendance, go back a few pages in the discussion. Quite a lengthy back and forth is there on how much fluff is pumped into those.

ripham23232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.