HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers Trades

Old
09-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Jesse Joensuu

vCash: 530
Oilers Trades

Oilers:

Max Talbot

Flyers:

Ryan Jones
Corey Potter
(Possibly add Curtis Hamilton or Dillon Simpson)

Oilers get a 3rd line center who has more of an offensive touch than Boyd Gordon. He will fit in well with Hemsky on the right side.

Flyers get a natural winger as well as a depth defenceman. Jones brings a scoring touch to a rather weak left side. Would fit in well with Matt Read.

Oilers:

Michael Del Zotto

Rangers:

Nick Schultz
Martin Marincin
Rights to Antti Tyrvainen
2016 2nd round pick

Oilers get a mobile puck moving defenceman, who is a bit of a project, but he is still young.

Rangers get a steady defensive defenceman, who can pay top 4. They also get an undervalued left handed defence prospect in Marincin.

Jesse Joensuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
That's really bad for the Rangers. Why would they do that?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
A bunch of junk does not equal quality

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
They need a solid defensive defenceman that can actually stay in the lineup, and Marincin is a young up and coming defenceman who is projected to be a top 4 guy within 1-2 years.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLDraftGuru View Post
Oilers:

Michael Del Zotto

Rangers:

Nick Schultz
Martin Marincin
2016 2nd round pick

Oilers get a mobile puck moving defenceman, who is a bit of a project, but he is still young.

Rangers get a steady defensive defenceman, who can pay top 4. They also get an undervalued left handed defence prospect in Marincin.
When you can only bring yourself to include a 2nd round pick, and that one is 3 years away, you know you're half-***ing it.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
A bunch of junk does not equal quality
If Marincin is considered junk then I have no idea what world you're living in sir.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
They need a solid defensive defenceman that can actually stay in the lineup, and Marincin is a young up and coming defenceman who is projected to be a top 4 guy within 1-2 years.
Uh, you mean like Ryan McDonagh?

Dude, these are brutal.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
If Marincin is considered junk then I have no idea what world you're living in sir.
He wasn't a first round pick, so he's junk to a lot of people here unfortunately, even though I see him being a very, very good NHL'er in short order. MDZ seems to get a ton of love here as well. He's not exactly what the Oilers need anyway, with Justin Schultz, as our top puck mover. We need a guy to compliment Schultz, and I don't think that MDZ is the answer simply based on styles of play.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:05 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Oilers:

Max Talbot

Flyers:

Ryan Jones
Corey Potter
(Possibly add Curtis Hamilton or Dillon Simpson)

Oilers get a 3rd line center who has more of an offensive touch than Boyd Gordon. He will fit in well with Hemsky on the right side.

Flyers get a natural winger as well as a depth defenceman. Jones brings a scoring touch to a rather weak left side. Would fit in well with Matt Read.

Oilers:

Michael Del Zotto

Rangers:

Nick Schultz
Martin Marincin
2016 2nd round pick

Rangers get bent over bad with no lube. That trade is insulting to Ranger fans. Not a ranger fan by the way. Marincin is the only valuable part in that trade. A 2nd round in 16 is worthless for a team competing now, Schultz is horrible, Tyrvainen is...well I don't know but I know this, Him and Marincin will not get you Del Zotto.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
When you can only bring yourself to include a 2nd round pick, and that one is 3 years away, you know you're half-***ing it.
Well good sir, thank you for providing an alternative trade, it is much appreciated. A second round pick in three years could be very valuable to the Rangers. They will likely be at a point where they are either faced with rebuilding or pushing for a cup. In the case they had to rebuild, a second rounder could mean Zach Fucale, Robert Hagg, or Madison Bowey. Don't undervalue a second round pick.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Jesse Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
He wasn't a first round pick, so he's junk to a lot of people here unfortunately, even though I see him being a very, very good NHL'er in short order. MDZ seems to get a ton of love here as well. He's not exactly what the Oilers need anyway, with Justin Schultz, as our top puck mover. We need a guy to compliment Schultz, and I don't think that MDZ is the answer simply based on styles of play.
PK Subban wasn't a first rounder either. Is he junk?

Old
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Well good sir, thank you for providing an alternative trade, it is much appreciated. A second round pick in three years could be very valuable to the Rangers. They will likely be at a point where they are either faced with rebuilding or pushing for a cup. In the case they had to rebuild, a second rounder could mean Zach Fucale, Robert Hagg, or Madison Bowey. Don't undervalue a second round pick.
Rangers won't actually be in bad cap trouble in 3 years actually...

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I don't see why either the Rangers or Flyers would do these trades.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
MessierII

First trade is kind of an overpayment and the second one is just insane.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Well good sir, thank you for providing an alternative trade, it is much appreciated.
I'm very much free to choose in which form I offer my opinion. I don't see the basis of a MDZ trade to Edmonton for futures as something that works.

Quote:
A second round pick in three years could be very valuable to the Rangers.
Just no. A 2nd round pick three years away is not very valuable to anyone. It's why teams all but never accept deals involving otherwise decent picks that far in the future.

Quote:
They will likely be at a point where they are either faced with rebuilding or pushing for a cup. In the case they had to rebuild, a second rounder could mean Zach Fucale, Robert Hagg, or Madison Bowey. Don't undervalue a second round pick.
I don't undervalue 2nd round picks. We see the very real value they have every trading deadline. It's purely about the pick being in 2016. That just isn't any incentive for a GM. It's just not a tangible hockey asset that far away, and the present always is paramount in the business of competing professionally.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Terrible.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Really, rights to Tyrvšinen? Those are worth like conditional 11th round pick, like you can have the pick if there will ever be a 11th round pick.

Kulleroinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is what I'd call a likely case of a younger fan new to prospect watching over hyping his own prospects, every team has a guy like Marincin. He has the upside to be a top 4 guy but he's more than likely starting in the AHL next season as a possible injury call up. Young kids, especially dmen, typically don't go immediately from the AHL to legit top 4 NHL dmen.

So basically what you're offering to New York in exchange for one of their prized young dmen is an immediate downgrade in Nick Schultz who's an UFA next season, paired with a prospect dmen that's 2-3 years away from being a regular with probably a 90% chance he won't be as good as Del Zotto and a 25-50% chance he busts or tops out as a depth defenseman. But hey, at least you added a 2nd round pick in 2016 to balance it out

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Are you just making **** up now?

Michael Del Zotto
2011-12: 77 GP
2012-13: 46 GP

Dan Girardi
2011-12: 82 GP

Ryan McDonagh
2011-12: 82 GP

Marc Staal has said he's healthy. Once Anton Stralman earned his spot, he didn't miss time. Ditto John Moore.

09-06-2013, 03:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
We do? Who says? Besides Staal the last couple years, our dmen have been healthy. And all reports are that Staal is 100% ready to go for training camp and the start of the season.

MDZ still struggles defensively at times, but I'll take him over Nick Schultz any day of the week. You can keep your 31 year old "top 4 only on the oilers" dman, and we'll keep our 23 year old dman.

Marincin is a nice prospect, but we don't need him. We've got McIlrath and Skjei waiting in the wings. We have McDonagh who is 24, Staal who is 26, Moore who is 22, MDZ who is 23.

The rest of what you offered is absolutely worthless to the Rangers.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
SupremeTeam16

As an Oilers fan neither of these trades make sense for any of the teams involved.

MDZ is cut from the same cloth as Justin Schultz so we really don't need him plus he'll be looking for a sizeable pay day at the end of the year since he took a bridge contract last year. AS for what was offered Marincin is one of our best defensive prospects and I think the Oilers should hang onto him another season before just giving him away because league value dictates he's "junk".

I think that with a new coach and system, a year of growth, and a full off season and training camp to prepare alot of Oilers players who are deemed junk will be better this season and could very well have value at the trade deadline. Especially a guy like Nick Schultz, he was a very solid defensive defenseman in minne he's only 30 years old and last season he just sat around during the lockout, didn't play hockey at all. Plus he's on the last year of a deal that pays him 3.5 a year. If he comes in and has a good season I think he's a guy who could net a decent return at the dealine. I mean Douglas Murray was worth 2 2nds.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
CanuckLuck

Ranger's getting ripped.

Can't just add a bunch of parts for a player like Del Zotto. And no, Marincin is not the piece you think he is. Flyers are an afterthought.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
laundryman

Flyers don't need depth d-men.

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Streit
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Meszaros
Lauridsen (bit of a stretch, admittedly)

All guys who could play for the Flyers. Beyond that, Talbot is one of the Flyers best defensive forwards and the Flyers need good defensive forwards.

No dice

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:09 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
both trades are a joke

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:12 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Ranger's getting ripped.

Can't just add a bunch of parts for a player like Del Zotto. And no, Marincin is not the piece you think he is. Flyers are an afterthought.
I think Marincin is a 21 year old defenseman who was drafted in the 2nd in 2010 and had a very solid first year of pro hockey in the AHL last year even while struggling with a language barrier (His English is very rough lol) I also think he has alot of potential to become a very good mid tier NHL defenseman if the Oilers continue to develop him properly.

Unfortunately the Oilers farm system over the last few years looks like it was built to win and not built to develop and eventually graduate talent. The team had lots of AHL veterans and players who's shot at the show was coming to the end. Hopefully this is something the Oilers Organization can address I could care less if the Oil Barons don't go deep in the playoffs every year, I'd rather have our young prospects playing there and getting solid minutes against tough competition so they can develop into professional hockey players.

Calder cups don't matter, Stanley cups do.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote