HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYR Dan Girardi

Old
09-05-2013, 04:38 PM
SupremeTeam16

vCash: 500
NYR Dan Girardi

He is the exact type of player the Oilers could use. I know rangers fans value him high but just wondering what sort of return rangers fans would expect.

Personally the pieces I would attempt to package to get him would be:

Nick Schultz
Laddy Smid
Ales Hemsky
Linus Omark
Martin Marincin
'14 1st rd/15' 1st rd

Schultz is a 2nd pairing defensive D man. 3.5 left on his final year

Smid is a warrior in his own zone a very competent top 4 guy and signed to a nice contract for the next 4 years.

I know Hemsky doesnt have alot of value because of his cap hit this year but he is a top 6 winger when healthy.

Omark is a very cheap top 6 option, killed it in swiss elite league but no room in oilers top 6 for him. Logged 27 points in 51 games in 2010-11 playing bottom 6 minutes on a weak oil team. He is back from Europe and focused on being an nhl player. Personally I think he surprises if he gets a chance at top 6 time.

Marincin is considered our 2nd most nhl ready defensive prospect behind klefbom.

And of course everyone knows an Edmonton 1st rounder is a pretty good asset.

Let me know if you guys think any of these parts could be used to make a deal happen.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Crosbylsmalkin

most of the time Edmonton seems to draft 1st overall so that 2015 pick looks mighty fine.

in all seriousness i think there isn't any piece that could get the ball rolling. despite a pretty average season I think Rangers value Girardi pretty highly.

Crosbylsmalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
SupremeTeam16

Haha yeah those Oilers 1st rounders are like prospect gold. If I were another team I would rather the 1st overall in next years draft then 2015 just because I think the oilers will be better in 2015 then they will be this year. On the flip side we already gave up our 2nd rd in 14 so not picking in the first two rounds of next years draft is a bit scary.

Girardi is a guy I really like so if there was a way to get him for the line up this year I'd love that but it looks like next years free agent crop could be pretty deep and there are a few high profile defenseman I think could test free agency. With big contracts like Hemsky and Nick schultz Ryan smyth coming off the books at the end of the year and only having to re up schultz and RNH on their already maxed out ELC's and with the cap most likely going up Edmonton could have a good chunk of change to over spend to lure a free agent defenseman to town.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:56 PM
eco's bones

Not this again.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:56 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Absolutely not, gonna take more than a combo of those pieces.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 989
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
You're saying Smid and a 1st wouldn't get it done? Wow, okay then.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:08 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
You're saying Smid and a 1st wouldn't get it done? Wow, okay then.
You can't ice a 1st round pick, so yes.

The Rangers aren't going to be making any trades that make their team worse.

A trade would have to make sense for us both in the short and long term.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:13 PM
dethomas07

justin shultz or Eberle...

NYR value Girardi way to high, as being the only NHL ready top 4 rhd on the roster and noone immediately ready..

just for fun..

Girardi
Miller/Lindberg
MDZ
2nd

for
J. Shultz
Eberle

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Crosbylsmalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post

NYR value Girardi way to high, as being the only NHL ready top 4 rhd on the roster and noone immediately ready..

just for fun..

Girardi
Miller/Lindberg
MDZ
2nd

for
J. Shultz
Eberle
i have to wonder how the rangers D would look after this and if Staal wasn't 100%. would Eberle be worth downgrading your D.

Crosbylsmalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:22 PM
mrhockey193195

Rangers value Girardi a lot higher than his trade value to other teams for a couple reasons.

1) He's considered a heart and soul leader of the team, who's been there for over five years (not many Rangers have). Teammates love him, he's a big part of the locker-room.

2) Rangers are much thinner on RD than on LD.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post

just for fun..

Girardi
Miller/Lindberg
MDZ
2nd

for
J. Shultz
Eberle

Don't hate the value of this trade based on players but I dont think it would work based solely on the fact that you guys would be adding 6 mil for eberle and i'm not sure exactly how ELC's count against the cap but Schultz is on a maxed out ELC so it's like 3.775 mil, again im not saying all that counts to cap but if it does all count thats another almost 4 mil, while only removing 3.2 for girardi and 2.9 for MDZ. So you guys are adding 10 mil and removing just over 6. I dont know if you guys have cap space.

Also Eberle is locked up for 6 more years and Schultz is a RFA with no arbitration rights. Girardi is a Ufa at the end of the year and MDZ is a RFA with arb rights. That's alot of risk for us.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

Girardi can only be had for a top 6 winger. I'm not sure Edmonton's pieces tempt me enough in that regard. Of course Hall and Eberle are cool, but I doubt they're available.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
SupremeTeam16

And you guys are making very valid points as to why he's worth more then what league trade value would suggest. Like I said I like him for the very reasons you guys all put up. Would love a guy like that on the Oilers, hopefully one of our young D prospects can turn into that down the road but a player like that sure would help immediately.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:38 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Girardi can only be had for a top 6 winger. I'm not sure Edmonton's pieces tempt me enough in that regard. Of course Hall and Eberle are cool, but I doubt they're available.
That is understandable.

Let me ask you this. It's kind of a different topic but what about

Omark for Boyle straight across

Like I said Omark put up 27 pts in 51 games playing bottom 6 minutes on a terrible oilers team. He is commited to being a solid top 6 NHL'er and he has the skill and potential to do it. I think could fit well in your top 6 and he's dirt cheap.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:00 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
That is understandable.

Let me ask you this. It's kind of a different topic but what about

Omark for Boyle straight across

Like I said Omark put up 27 pts in 51 games playing bottom 6 minutes on a terrible oilers team. He is commited to being a solid top 6 NHL'er and he has the skill and potential to do it. I think could fit well in your top 6 and he's dirt cheap.
Omark isn't a bad player, but he won't knock anyone out of our top-6, especially with AV wanting to give Richards another chance.

Plus, we value a guy like Boyle more than Omark.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Top 6 LW or GTFO

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 06:14 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Top 6 LW or GTFO
More like Big-4 or GTFO.

I'd add onto Girardi for RNH or Hall.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Years past I would have advocated moving Girardi for a hefty return, even one proposing the idea of Hemsky. Since the decision to keep him, they've moved out Kundratek & Erixon then been hurt by injuries to McIlrath, Sauer, and Staal.

Now, the Rangers are looking to take serious runs at the Cup and moving a guy like Girardi, coupled with the changes they've seen to their blueline depth, you don't move DG. After he's resigned, in a couple years if McIlrath and Skje are NHL blueliners, maybe, not now. Now he's pretty much untouchable.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:35 AM
AvsGuy

I'd love Girardi on the Avs, what about a package centered around Ryan O'Reilly? I won't even try the Stastny route at this point.

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:28 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
I'd love Girardi on the Avs, what about a package centered around Ryan O'Reilly? I won't even try the Stastny route at this point.
We need Girardi a lot more than we need O'Reilly. Girardi and Stralman are our only right-handed dmen. Staal expects to return to form, but it remains to be seen how effective he will be. Meanwhile, we've got Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Boyle and Moore at center. If O'Reilly can play LW, that would help, but we can't afford to take that big of a hit on defense to upgrade our LW.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Yeah Id take that package. Smid could be a half decent replacement in the interim and that 2014 1st will still most likely be a top 12 pick is (Smid or Shultz a RHD? Kind of a breaking point). Doesn't help us now but Girardi could walk for free next year.

09-06-2013, 07:21 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We need Girardi a lot more than we need O'Reilly. Girardi and Stralman are our only right-handed dmen. Staal expects to return to form, but it remains to be seen how effective he will be. Meanwhile, we've got Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Boyle and Moore at center. If O'Reilly can play LW, that would help, but we can't afford to take that big of a hit on defense to upgrade our LW.
Uh, I'd take O'Reilly+ for Girardi.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Uh, I'd take O'Reilly+ for Girardi.
+ what? And why would the Avs be willing to add anything?

If we had someone who could replace Girardi, that would be a different story, but we don't. And don't forget that O'Reilly's cap hit is almost 1.7 mil more than Girardi's. Unless we are sending Pyatt or Boyle the other way, I don't see how it would work.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:27 AM
eco's bones

Whatever we got back for Girardi would have to be big because losing Girardi leaves a huge hole on our right side D and if you think your team has a chance of being a real contender you don't create holes in your defense. That's part of the story here. It's not just about fair value or even getting better value for the player--it's about how that effects this season--because the Rangers rightly or wrongly think they'll be a main player--maybe even the Stanley Cup winner this year if everything breaks right. Losing Dan is not going to increase our chances--it's mostly likely to decrease them--not something you do if you're in a we can win this--this year mode.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:32 AM
roboninja
EYG

Guys like Girardi, Gorges, Bieksa are hard to gauge value for. Their current teams love them for the grit and their willingness to walk through fire for the team. But those qualities also mean they are eligible for physical breakdown at a fairly early age. Does not happen to everyone that plays that way, but it does happen to plenty of them. This means that the team trading for them is setting themselves up for the very real possibility of acquiring a diminishing asset. Makes the valuations very difficult.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote