HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Pressure
Tier 1/2 and 3 fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly this team doesn't have a clue what they are doing when it comes to "heavyweights"... they want them... then they don't... then they do... then they don't... on and on.

Smac...Hordi...Brown (middleweight but good fighter).

They dumped a nuclear guy in Smac because he couldn't play hockey only to add a light heavy in Hordi who they also deemed expendable after playing him so little it was ludicrous to have him around... only to add Brown as a middleweight who could actually skate and play hockey (a little). Now they want a heavy again.

Honestly they should have just kept Steve Macintyre to begin with if they wanted a goon. He's the biggest, toughest goon of them all and if you want a guy who'll bust face... well he's the man to have around.. you just accept his "warts" in terms of his hockey ability (or lack thereof) and play him as the 13th forward in 30-40 games per year... less than 5 minutes per game.

He is what he is... toughest fighter in hockey who can't play a lick. Any other so called goons are going to have negligible skills and abilities beyond their fighting as well... not enough to make any real difference beyond their pugilistic abilities so if you want a goon simply get a GOON and not a goon who you think is something else... because they aren't.

Management simply is schizo in what they want/need when it comes to enforcers. They are basically looking for something that doesn't exist.
The absolute mismanagement of Hordichuk really irks me. I hated how Kruegar handled his minutes. Ostracizing him because he made a mistake in the Flames game by being a little too aggressive in the crease and never giving him another chance. Ridiculously unbelievable since that was a trait we needed on this team, toughness.

I still think Hordi has game, he skates very well and finishes all his checks. For the fourth line that's not a bad thing.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:38 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I'd be happy with Tootoo on the Oilers.
Potter to Detroit has been hinted on more than one occasion. Wonder if there is a deal there.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Capgeek says they have just under $2M in capspace. That's also with a 22-man roster. Kulemin remains the interesting target, but with BMac saying we're looking for a heavyweight, and Eakins saying they gotta be able to play, Orr and McLaren look interesting.
Neither of those guys can play though.

It's one thing to look for players who can fight and otehrwise mix it up physically. But if you're starting point is "guy who can fight and maybe also play a bit," you're doing it wrong.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Nikolai Kulemin would be an ideal 3rd liner. He's physical, sound defensively, strong on the puck, and good enough offensively that he can jump into the top 6 when necessary. The Leafs need cap space to sign Franson and will likely take just prospects. Since the Oilers are apparently looking for a goon as well, we might as well trade for both Kulemin and McLaren. Their wing prospects are pretty ***tty, and we really don't need many more wing prospects considering what we have in the NHL, so we can send them some future toughness in Mitchell Moroz. Their defence prospects are pretty much all offensive dmen, so they could probably use a guy like David Musil as well.

Detroit also appears to be bringing back Dan Cleary. We all know they have a logjam up front with their offseason moves and need to make room for Nyqvist and Tatar. I have no interest in Tootoo since we don't really need a middleweight headhunter. Instead we should target Patrick Eaves, who plays fast and physical, isn't a liability on the ice, and gives us another solid PK option. The Wings could use some insurance on defence, as Kyle Quincey is pretty much Ryan Whitney. Potter, while not great, at least gives them some competition for the spot. Corey Potter for Patrick Eaves makes a lot of sense for both teams.

To EDM:
Kulemin
McLaren

To TOR:
Moroz
Musil

To EDM:
Eaves

To DET:
Potter

Waive Smyth

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Kulemin-Gordon-Hemsky
Eaves-Lander-Jones
Joensuu/McLaren/Brown/Eager

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
Belov-N Schultz
Grebeskov/Larsen

Dubnyk
LaBarbara

The top 6 has a lot of offensive talent, but lacks size and toughness. If we could somehow replace Gagner with a big 2-way 2nd line center, it would be perfect. We have 2/3rds of an elite shutdown third line, and no player in the bottom 6 is a liability at even strength. Players like McLaren/Brown can draw in when the opposing team has goons like LA. In a perfect world, we also trade Hemsky for a player like David Moss, but unfortunately we're stuck with him for the start of the year, so we wont be able to complete a full shutdown line until TDD.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Neither of those guys can play though.

It's one thing to look for players who can fight and otehrwise mix it up physically. But if you're starting point is "guy who can fight and maybe also play a bit," you're doing it wrong.
Well, guys who can chuck 'em and play well shift to shift aren't available.
I'm not a big fan of goons who can't play but Orr and McLaren can play, both are good forecheckers and formed an effective 4th line for them. Changed the culture in Toronto from a high paced, skilled team to a high paced, skilled team that won't back down physically. I would welcome either of them here.
Ideally, we get Kulemin out of Toronto (i've been dropping his name here as an Oilers target for over a year now) but i doubt that they part with him. He's a vital part of their 3rd line who is very capable of stepping into the top 6 if need be.

My real hope that is that Eager plays up to his capability because there's an example of a guy who can play some good hockey but also be very tough to play against.
I thought he looked great in the AHL playoffs last season so hopefully, he can carry that play into this season. Shedding some of that weight is a good start.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:19 AM
nhlisajoke

Ansar Khan‏@AnsarKhanMLive6m
Holland said Cleary signed to 1 year deal for $1.75 million.

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Old
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
nhlisajoke

Ansar Khan‏@AnsarKhanMLive16m
Holland said Cleary signed to 1 year deal for $1.75 million.

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Old
09-12-2013, 11:58 AM
tjziel

Should Ty Bilcke get signed by the Oilers??

What are the chances that Ty Bilcke gets an NHL contract based on this years training camp?? I know he is too young at the moment, but the Oilers should get him signed for the future, and put him back in junior for this year.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Well, guys who can chuck 'em and play well shift to shift aren't available.
I know, which is why I prefer they err on the side of getting guys who can play instead of guys who can punch.

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of goons who can't play but Orr and McLaren can play, both are good forecheckers and formed an effective 4th line for them. Changed the culture in Toronto from a high paced, skilled team to a high paced, skilled team that won't back down physically. I would welcome either of them here.
I think you're overstating those guy's value. Neither of them played more than 6 minutes a night so they wouldn't have had much impact. More importantly, when you have two guys who can't play on the roster, it means depriving others of an opportunity to get into the lineup and possibly contribute (like a Hamilton, Acton or Pitlick).

Quote:
Ideally, we get Kulemin out of Toronto (i've been dropping his name here as an Oilers target for over a year now) but i doubt that they part with him. He's a vital part of their 3rd line who is very capable of stepping into the top 6 if need be.
Yeah but they are in some real cap trouble and have some guys coming in that could push them over the brink. It's worth an ask.

Quote:
My real hope that is that Eager plays up to his capability because there's an example of a guy who can play some good hockey but also be very tough to play against.
I thought he looked great in the AHL playoffs last season so hopefully, he can carry that play into this season. Shedding some of that weight is a good start.
That'd be nice to see. He had a couple of good spells for other teams, if he finds his groove here and can play a bit, that gives us a physical element without resorting to playing a useless heavyweight.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Nikolai Kulemin would be an ideal 3rd liner. He's physical, sound defensively, strong on the puck, and good enough offensively that he can jump into the top 6 when necessary. The Leafs need cap space to sign Franson and will likely take just prospects. Since the Oilers are apparently looking for a goon as well, we might as well trade for both Kulemin and McLaren. Their wing prospects are pretty ***tty, and we really don't need many more wing prospects considering what we have in the NHL, so we can send them some future toughness in Mitchell Moroz. Their defence prospects are pretty much all offensive dmen, so they could probably use a guy like David Musil as well.

Detroit also appears to be bringing back Dan Cleary. We all know they have a logjam up front with their offseason moves and need to make room for Nyqvist and Tatar. I have no interest in Tootoo since we don't really need a middleweight headhunter. Instead we should target Patrick Eaves, who plays fast and physical, isn't a liability on the ice, and gives us another solid PK option. The Wings could use some insurance on defence, as Kyle Quincey is pretty much Ryan Whitney. Potter, while not great, at least gives them some competition for the spot. Corey Potter for Patrick Eaves makes a lot of sense for both teams.

To EDM:
Kulemin
McLaren

To TOR:
Moroz
Musil

To EDM:
Eaves

To DET:
Potter

Waive Smyth

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Kulemin-Gordon-Hemsky
Eaves-Lander-Jones
Joensuu/McLaren/Brown/Eager

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
Belov-N Schultz
Grebeskov/Larsen

Dubnyk
LaBarbara

The top 6 has a lot of offensive talent, but lacks size and toughness. If we could somehow replace Gagner with a big 2-way 2nd line center, it would be perfect. We have 2/3rds of an elite shutdown third line, and no player in the bottom 6 is a liability at even strength. Players like McLaren/Brown can draw in when the opposing team has goons like LA. In a perfect world, we also trade Hemsky for a player like David Moss, but unfortunately we're stuck with him for the start of the year, so we wont be able to complete a full shutdown line until TDD.
Pretty sure that group puts you a fair bit over the cap. Smyth is a 35+ contract. Unless someone picks him up you are stuck with his cap hit.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Potter to Detroit has been hinted on more than one occasion. Wonder if there is a deal there.
Potter for Tootoo would be a clear win for us.

09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Renney might think differently.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:05 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Detroit's powerplay was 15th... Always room for improvement.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
I truly hope that he would and that he's in Holland's ear as we speak!

Old
09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not really. It helps both teams

Old
09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
40oz

Irrelevant, but Pajaarvi is starting camp on the Blues top line with Berglund and Tarasenko.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:52 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Irrelevant, but Pajaarvi is starting camp on the Blues top line with Berglund and Tarasenko.
STL is going to have a terrifyingly good top9.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Not really. It helps both teams
Let's hope that Holland thinks so because we could use Tootoo more than Potter right now.

Quote:
Is that really their top line? What would you call the Backes and Roy lines then? They have depth so that they have 4 solid lines.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Isn't that the 3rd line?

Old
09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Let's hope that Holland thinks so because we could use Tootoo more than Potter right now.
Well Potter helps their defense, and saves them cap. I'd definitely make the call if I were MacT

Old
09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
robbiezyg

Quote:
Yeah the top line is whatever line Backes is on

Old
09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Blues beat writer Jeremy Rutherford called it the top line, Backes is playing with Rattie and Steen. Frankly, with their depth it's hard to label the lines.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:22 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
No wonder they were Stanley Cup predicting Champs.....by the Hockey news. What depth!!!!

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Steen Roy Stewart
Paajarvi Berglund Tarasenko
Sobotka Lapierre Reaves
EX: Cracknell/Porter

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Leopold Shattenkirk
Jackman Polak
EX: Cole

Halak
Elliott

Old
09-12-2013, 02:25 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
No wonder they were Stanley Cup predicting Champs.....by the Hockey news. What depth!!!!

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Steen Roy Stewart
Paajarvi Berglund Tarasenko
Sobotka Lapierre Reaves
EX: Cracknell/Porter

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Leopold Shattenkirk
Jackman Polak
EX: Cole

Halak
Elliott

The D might be a little different to start the season.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

As long as goaltending doesn't let them down they could well win it all.

Closed Thread