HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2013, 12:28 PM
McManningite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And tell me why he should take only $200K more than Gagner for long term? He'd be wiser to play the season out and then cash in. If we won't pay him $6 million I'm sure that there are a few teams that'd be more than happy to OS him leaving us with Gagner as our 1C and Gordon as our 2C.
Hmm, would start there and work up. Guaranteed money is always nice.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:33 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
And tell me why he should take only $200K more than Gagner for long term? He'd be wiser to play the season out and then cash in. If we won't pay him $6 million I'm sure that there are a few teams that'd be more than happy to OS him leaving us with Gagner as our 1C and Gordon as our 2C.
That's one way of looking at it, but you're also comparing Gagner's 3rd pro contract that he signed at 24 to RNH's 2nd signed (potentially) as a 19 year old. The 6 years following Gagner's ELC would've added up to $22.15M which is just under $3.7M a season. RNH at $5M per is definitely a home town discount (Tavares' $5.5M might be a better starting point/low end), but it's a lot more than Gagner got (about 35% higher).

And there's no way they would not match an OS.

09-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Well, you're comparing Gagner's 3rd contract to RNH's 2nd, for one. The 6 years following Gagner's ELC would've added up to $22.15M which is just under $3.7M a season. RNH at $5M per is definitely a home town discount (Tavares' $5.5M might be a better starting point/low end), but it's a lot more than Gagner got (about 35% higher).

And there's no way they would not match an OS.
RNH was a better player at 18 than Gagner has ever been. For all of the bellyaching about RNH's poor offensive season last year projected to a full season he would've tied Gagner's career high in points. 2nd and 3rd contracts in this day and age don't mean a whole heck of a lot when talking about the games best players. Unless a player wants to go the UFA route and cash in on the highest dollar amount they will get paid on their 2nd or 3rd contract. Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, Tavares, Duchene's recent extension, Toews, Kane, etc. are all there to see as comps. RNH is and always will be a tier or two above Gagner so there is no reason that he shouldn't be paid like it.

And sure we'd likely match any OS on RNH, but why risk it? Why take a chance that someone tosses $7.5-$8 million at him if he has a big year? There is no reason that he shouldn't be paid $6 million like Hall and Eberle before him.

09-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@tweetneal: Chris VandeVelde apparently has a legit shot at making the Flyers roster. http://t.co/gwvg967zEg

This is what a bad Cap Situation does.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:40 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey

Been told by a member of the St Louis Blues organization that they're very happy with Ryan Whitney. Got the impression he'll make the team.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:42 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post

Been told by a member of the St Louis Blues organization that they're very happy with Ryan Whitney. Got the impression he'll make the team.
Maybe he finally got bionic ankles

Old
09-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:

Ryan Whitney's Notebook

Ryan Whitney's Yearly goals

-Go get signed by X team. If that fails do a PTO. Check

-If on PTO, use 80% of energy to make the team. Check

-Sign 2M for 1 year (2 if you feel lucky). Check

-2-3 games in, fall awkwardly so it affects your ankles and say you tweaked it and need surgery. Pending...

-Enjoy life once more. Pending...

Repeat as many times as needed.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
McManningite

Quote:
RNH was a better player at 18 than Gagner has ever been. For all of the bellyaching about RNH's poor offensive season last year projected to a full season he would've tied Gagner's career high in points. 2nd and 3rd contracts in this day and age don't mean a whole heck of a lot when talking about the games best players. Unless a player wants to go the UFA route and cash in on the highest dollar amount they will get paid on their 2nd or 3rd contract. Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, Tavares, Duchene's recent extension, Toews, Kane, etc. are all there to see as comps. RNH is and always will be a tier or two above Gagner so there is no reason that he shouldn't be paid like it.

And sure we'd likely match any OS on RNH, but why risk it? Why take a chance that someone tosses $7.5-$8 million at him if he has a big year? There is no reason that he shouldn't be paid $6 million like Hall and Eberle before him.
I guess if this deal doesn't wrap up quickly you should apply to be his agent.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:56 PM
MisterD

Quote:

I hope it works out for him. I still think he can be effective with limited minutes, no PK time and 2nd unit PP time.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Good for him, I wish him all of the best there. I'm not sure how much of a downgrade he'd be on a guy like Acton TBH.
I agree to some degree. These potential 4th line centers are so close in talent that it's just about finding a team that likes what you brought to camp. VV was always talked of as a guy that plays the exact same role in the AHL as he does in the NHL, which gets him overlooked by a lot of people.
Quote:
Wow looking more into Mashinter's stats it looks like he really came around last year when playing for the NYR's farm team with 10-9-19 in 35 games! Even more impressive is that their team wasn't a high scoring club. Unless he skates like he has concrete in his skates this should be a no brainer pick-up for us.
I don't think it should matter too much what kind skater he is. If the guy has smarts then I could careless. It's a 4th line role with PB at times. If he can not hurt us while out there and add toughness then there is a spot for him.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

This is what a bad Cap Situation does.
Carchidi is a moron, the spot is basically a battle between Laughton and Raffl, and Flyer fans believe Laughton will win it(it's a debate though, Raffl has looked pretty good playing in both a top 6 role or bottom 6). He realistically doesn't have a chance IMO, but has been quietly good for us. Not good enough to make the team.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
awesomo
HARD!

itll be nice to watch the oilers play against ryan wh....i mean a pylon this year

Old
09-19-2013, 02:38 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Maybe he finally got bionic ankles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I hope it works out for him. I still think he can be effective with limited minutes, no PK time and 2nd unit PP time.
I agree with Meesta, it goes for quite a few players. When you are paid to be a top 4 d-man and you play like a bottom pairing d-man then you look horrid. But if you are being paid less than a mil playing a limited role, people don't get on your back when you make a mistake.

That and STL has a legit defense to help Whitney as well as a legit top 12 that plays two-way hockey.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Carchidi is a moron, the spot is basically a battle between Laughton and Raffl, and Flyer fans believe Laughton will win it(it's a debate though, Raffl has looked pretty good playing in both a top 6 role or bottom 6). He realistically doesn't have a chance IMO, but has been quietly good for us. Not good enough to make the team.
Fair enough, I suspect as much. I just remember how "underwhleming" he was here.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If it seems like he's been good, that's a bad sign. We went through some pretty bad dmen who looked decent at the time. If you're used to a firefly, a civic is going to seem like the greatest car ever, but once you have a BMW, you see the civic for what it really is. CVV is just not an NHL calibre player at all. If he's legitimately in contention for a spot, you need to get another centerman

Last edited by The Nuge: 09-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old
09-19-2013, 03:45 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If it seems like he's been good, that's a bad sign. We went through some pretty bad dmen who looked decent at the time. If you're used to a firefly, a civic is going to seem like the greatest car ever, but once you have a BMW, you see the civic for what it really is. CVV is just not an NHL calibre player at all. If he's legitimately in contention for a spot, you need to get another centerman
He is better than all of our fourth line centers.. don't get me wrong, he's no Kyle Brodziak, but while he is missing the offensive flair of a Marc-Antoine Pouliot he is almost as good defensively as Toby Petersen. Not quite as fleet of foot, but solid and good on face-offs.

Old
09-19-2013, 05:33 PM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
Do you think the Oilers have made a offer to Bryzgalov?

We know the Oilers made a huge offer for Corey Crawford. They are in the hunt for a goalie and signing LaBarbera to a one year deal shows to me they are still in the hunt for a strong goaltender. Do you think the Oilers have made a offer to Ilya Bryzgalov? I know he is picky about the teams he plays for and wants a significant amount of money, but our goaltending is a issue and he is the best free agent available. I wonder if the Oilers ever made him a offer and what they may have offered?

Old
09-19-2013, 05:34 PM
joestevens29

We made an offer for Crawford?

Old
09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
First thing that caught my eye too

Old
09-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethOfDragnz View Post
We know the Oilers made a huge offer for Corey Crawford. They are in the hunt for a goalie and signing LaBarbera to a one year deal shows to me they are still in the hunt for a strong goaltender. Do you think the Oilers have made a offer to Ilya Bryzgalov? I know he is picky about the teams he plays for and wants a significant amount of money, but our goaltending is a issue and he is the best free agent available. I wonder if the Oilers ever made him a offer and what they may have offered?
I don't think so. Honestly, I think Dubnyk is incredibly underrated. His numbers have been pretty good on a bad team, just imagine the upward spike they'll take as this team gets better.

He's a top-10 NHL starter. He just hasn't been on a top 15 team yet.

Old
09-19-2013, 05:41 PM
dangerMcdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe meant Schneider?

Old
09-19-2013, 05:45 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
To put it shortly, no, I don't think we have.

Old
09-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Bryzgalov? The massive media side-show distraction that was predictably exposed behind a defensive system that didn't prop him up?

No chance.

Last edited by Tarus: 09-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdanger View Post
Maybe meant Schneider?
Probably.

And I sure hope they haven't. Anyone who follows the Coyotes can tell you he wasn't very good. Without even knowing his replacement, I was glad to see him go

Old
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Jesus, I hope they haven't lost their minds and offered Breezy anything. Other than being funny with the media, he's a flake that has already said he doesn't like Edmonton (too cold for the Primadonna).

Although I don't agree with Scoobs about Dooby being top 10, he's still a better option than Breezy afaic.

Closed Thread