HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2013, 05:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
He is better than all of our fourth line centers.. don't get me wrong, he's no Kyle Brodziak, but while he is missing the offensive flair of a Marc-Antoine Pouliot he is almost as good defensively as Toby Petersen. Not quite as fleet of foot, but solid and good on face-offs.
Not a chance. Lander is a drastically better player (not that that's saying much). If CVV was better we would've kept him

Old
09-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Soundwave

Nope. He bad mouthed Edmonton, even jokingly so, and I don't think that sat well with the Oilers brass. That and he's apparently toxic in the locker room, which is strike 2.

Old
09-19-2013, 06:08 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Nope. He bad mouthed Edmonton, even jokingly so, and I don't think that sat well with the Oilers brass. That and he's apparently toxic in the locker room, which is strike 2.
That and he isn't a very good goalie.

Old
09-19-2013, 06:09 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
There was a time I would have said yes, but he has fallen apart since going to Philly, hard pass

09-19-2013, 06:50 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
and Strike 3 he not good at all under any pressure . Meaning no Canadian teams should sign him

Old
09-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Arpeggio

Don't really understand why the Oil didn't grab Raymond. Would've fit nicely in the bottom 6.

Old
09-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Don't really understand why the Oil didn't grab Raymond. Would've fit nicely in the bottom 6.
Where? Hemsky is a better player at every single facet of the game than Raymond. And that is the only guy in the bottom six he would replace given his size.

Old
09-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
no he wouldnt have. We have plenty of small speed and skill forwards. Great that he is doing great in TOR but he isnt what we need in bottom 6.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Because he's another small, soft winger and unlike someone like Jordan Eberle he's a ***tty hockey player.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
I guess if this deal doesn't wrap up quickly you should apply to be his agent.
That would've been nice, I'd be getting $600K a year for the next 7 years.

09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
There was a time I would have said yes, but he has fallen apart since going to Philly, hard pass
He was actually terrible in Phoenix as well

Old
09-19-2013, 10:46 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Not a chance. Lander is a drastically better player (not that that's saying much). If CVV was better we would've kept him
Yee have plenty of faith... Realistically if you look at our bottom six, and you look at the players that have slipped through our bottom 6 since, oh, lets say Glencross was here...

How can you type that with a straight face? "If X was better, we would have kept them" -- that just sounds ridiculous. We have nobody in the bottom 6, and lots of teams have our players in their bottom 6 courtesy of our poor decision making. CVV is a reliable player, big body - he can play NHL hockey. He isn't going to shoot out the lights, but I think he has a higher GPG average than Lander does. Lander needs to be a lot better.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:47 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

I suppose we miss Yann Denis too.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:50 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I suppose we miss Yann Denis too.
He wasn't bad in his role, but Bachman doesn't look like a slouch either -- and we have a reliable non-senior citizen back-up goalie so the odds that we have to draw on that depth in the NHL is reduced admirably.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
no he wouldnt have. We have plenty of small speed and skill forwards. Great that he is doing great in TOR but he isnt what we need in bottom 6.
Sure he would have. Raymond's a fast solid two way player, the Oilers could use that. They aren't going to play L.A's game, they need to play like a Detroit. They don't worry about size, they worry about ability. I can see the rational on passing but this idea that he couldn't be useful despite his size is nonsense IMO. I agree a big solid two way player is an ideal fit, but a guy like Raymond for cheap doesn't hurt. NHL ability in the bottom 6 is something we can use.

As it stands i think the Oilers have had all of Jones, Joensuu, Smyth, and Hemsky (obviously) looking like solid options to start the year. As i see it Hamilton, Omark, Arcobello are in a tight battle up front for one roster spot with Brown, and Eager trying to lock down the "enforcer" spot. The way i see it none of the guys above have been all that great, and the 4th line center spot is looking pretty weak too. A guy like Raymond could push Smyth to the PB on a lot of nights and provide some spark for the bottom of the lineup. You could even keep Hall at center and use him to ice 3 scoring lines. You need guys who can step up in the lineup.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
Raymond-Lander-Jones
Smyth-Brown

Raymond-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Hopkins-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Brown

In other words Raymond is far more valuable than a Hamilton or an Omark. He's been a solid complementary player in the top 9 for a President winning team. He's Cogliano basically, and that's not a terrible thing to have kicking around. If i was the Oilers i'd consider offering him a contract at 1.5m, Toronto might have a tough time with that. I'd start the year with Joensuu-Gordon-Raymond as my 3rd line, i think it's a nice combination.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
What is so frustrating about Lander is when he plays in OKC he is assertive confident drives the play ,soon as he laces up for the Oilers he plays not to make a mistake passes off to soon takes no chances jekyl Hyde player

Old
09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
What is so frustrating about Lander is when he plays in OKC he is assertive confident drives the play ,soon as he laces up for the Oilers he plays not to make a mistake passes off to soon takes no chances jekyl Hyde player
Young players tend to be nervous when they first start playing. This isn't a surprise. Time and experience can fix a lot.

Old
09-20-2013, 10:04 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Young players tend to be nervous when they first start playing. This isn't a surprise. Time and experience can fix a lot.
This.

Lander is developing slowly, but he is developing. He'll get a lot of ice time in OKC this year and take on more of a leadership role (which he has done in the past in Sweden).

I'm not liking Acton or Lander right now as a 4th line option in Edmonton and I hope that MacT sees this. Lander needs to stay in OKC and develop.

Old
09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Exactly. They need more Joensuu types in the bottom 6. God, I hope he carries his preseason play into the regular season. I've been impressed.

They also need to keep grooming Pitlick to be a tough 3rd line winger who can provide a bit of offense.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Lander has more NHL games than AHl games he has 67 NHL games under his belt how in the hell can he still be nervous? I think he gets into a different mind set that he tries not to make the mistakes and get sent back which renders him ineffective .

Old
09-20-2013, 11:30 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 213
I saw John Mitchell on waivers and got excited, turns out there is another John Mitchell.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:31 AM
backhandsauce

Waivers is going to be interesting here in the next little while.

I noticed John Mitchell on waivers. (Colorado)

4C?

Nevermind. Wrong John Mitchell. Who knew there was 2? haha

Old
09-20-2013, 11:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Waivers is going to be interesting here in the next little while.

I noticed John Mitchell on waivers. (Colorado)

4C?

Nevermind. Wrong John Mitchell. Who knew there was 2? haha
Come on man, how didn't you know this

Old
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
He was actually terrible in Phoenix as well
No he wasn't.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
itll be nice to watch the oilers play against ryan wh....i mean a pylon this year
If he is in good ryan whitney mode he'll kill us. People forget he was simply one of the best D men in the whole league before he got hurt for us a few years back. Such a shame about this guy because he is exactly the type of Dman this team needs badly (if he is right).

Closed Thread