HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 02:43 PM
SchultzSquared

vCash: 500
Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Eberle-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
R. Hamilton-Arcobello-Pitlick
Lander Brown

Smid-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Belov
Grebeshkov

Is ideal? No... but saves us signing a scrub like Wellwood Connolly...

Old
09-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Soundwave

I like signing Wellwood actually.

Gives us more depth and some flexibility in being able to have a center that can play with Hemsky in a different role even when everyone is healthy.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakupov
Jonesuu Wellwood Hemsky
Smyth Gordon Jones

Old
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Would the BJ's be open to trading a Letestu?

09-22-2013, 02:55 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Would the BJ's be open to trading a Letestu?
If the trade route... Wings are desperate to cut cap space
... Drew Miller probably would go for a 3rd or 4th... Cory Emmerton for less probably waivers... they are all we need really right now

Old
09-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Ladra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
If the trade route... Wings are desperate to cut cap space
... Drew Miller probably would go for a 3rd or 4th... Cory Emmerton for less probably waivers... they are all we need really right now
Corey Potter for Drew Miller?

Old
09-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Eberle-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
R. Hamilton-Arcobello-Pitlick
Lander Brown

Smid-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Belov
Grebeshkov

Is ideal? No... but saves us signing a scrub like Wellwood Connolly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Just go with Smyth-Hall-Hemsky and Perron-Eberle-Yakupov until we get Nuge back. Gordon stays at third line C and one of Arco, Acton or Lander as the 4th line C. If we're going to be a top team in the league in the future we will need the center depth that having Hall and Eberle can provide in an emergency.
Lemme go grab my barf bag.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:57 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladra View Post
Corey Potter for Drew Miller?
Miller will be that cheap because the Wings do NOT want cap space back... even 600K of it... fair value wise yes but then they would still need to lose an asset for free on waivers (or at least hope that happens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Lemme go grab my barf bag.
It's gross yes... but 94 is enough of a pro to max out his meager skills for 5-10 games in that role... he won't win any awards and we are a worse team definitely with him there... but it can and will have to make do...

However it brings up the question... yes we **** about center depth... and it's crap don't get me wrong... but most teams would be in a bad bad place with their #1 and #2 both out at the same time... for me the worse hole is at LW... even before any of this we did not have a bona fide third line guy... we had to hope Jones could make it work and his pre season play to date shows that is not likely... so of course now we do the natural thing that slide a LW over to C and we are pooched

If MacT makes another move and puts the 2014 1st in play... I think it has to be a quality LW

Let's say something like...

TO CBJ- 2014 1st, Musil/Gernat, C. Hamilton
To EDM- N. Foligno

Now-

Foligno-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Eberle-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
Smyth-Arcobello-Pitlick
Brown Lander

Nov. 1-

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Foligno-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Jones
Smyth Brown

Columbus can do it today they have lots of forwards...

Horton-Anisimov-Gaborik
Umberger-Johansen-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Letestu
Comeau-MacKenzie-Calvert
Boll Skille

Old
09-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Miller will be that cheap because the Wings do NOT want cap space back... even 600K of it... fair value wise yes but then they would still need to lose an asset for free on waivers (or at least hope that happens)

It's gross yes... but 94 is enough of a pro to max out his meager skills for 5-10 games in that role... he won't win any awards and we are a worse team definitely with him there... but it can and will have to make do...

However it brings up the question... yes we **** about center depth... and it's crap don't get me wrong... but most teams would be in a bad bad place with their #1 and #2 both out at the same time... for me the worse hole is at LW... even before any of this we did not have a bona fide third line guy... we had to hope Jones could make it work and his pre season play to date shows that is not likely... so of course now we do the natural thing that slide a LW over to C and we are pooched

If MacT makes another move and puts the 2014 1st in play... I think it has to be a quality LW

To EDM- N. Foligno

Now-

Foligno-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Eberle-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
Smyth-Arcobello-Pitlick
Brown Lander

Nov. 1-

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Foligno-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Jones
Smyth Brown

Columbus can do it today they have lots of forwards...

Horton-Anisimov-Gaborik
Umberger-Johansen-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Letestu
Comeau-MacKenzie-Calvert
Boll Skille
Why would we trade our 1st for someone who will be eventually on the 3rd line?

Old
09-22-2013, 05:02 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Why would we trade our 1st for someone who will be eventually on the 3rd line?
Our 1st we hope will be in the 11-15 range... that player is 2-3 years away from making an impact... odds are we use it to draft a big PF anyway... so why not just speed the process up... get a finished product who we know is gritty and serviceable to play anywhere in top nine (he can play RW too) while still being young

Eventually this team must grow up... we need more NHL bodies today not more magic beans

Old
09-22-2013, 05:09 PM
SchultzSquared

This just in... Toby Petersen on waivers... I think I know an Oilers ex coach who really liked that guy...

Old
09-22-2013, 05:11 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
And this is why the Oilers should have signed a guy like Grabovski instead of a bunch of marginals. Grabovski even with his flaws (which I think are overblown) would have looked damn nice in the lineup... and been able to play on the wing or at centre when injuries happen.

Honestly what are the chances of all 12 of the starting forward roster ever being healthy at once. They already have RNH and Gagner gone and no dubt all season long someone will be on the IR... a guy like Grabovski would have been solid insurance to play a top 9 role and would have slotted into the top 6 nicely.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:14 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

To EDM- N. Foligno

Old
09-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
And this is why the Oilers should have signed a guy like Grabovski instead of a bunch of marginals. Grabovski even with his flaws (which I think are overblown) would have looked damn nice in the lineup... and been able to play on the wing or at centre when injuries happen.

Honestly what are the chances of all 12 of the starting forward roster ever being healthy at once. They already have RNH and Gagner gone and no dubt all season long someone will be on the IR... a guy like Grabovski would have been solid insurance to play a top 9 role and would have slotted into the top 6 nicely.
They don't even have the cap space for Grabovski. Also he wouldn't sign here if he knows that he's playing on the third line if everyone's healthy. That's why he was pissed in Toronto.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:18 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Our 1st we hope will be in the 11-15 range... that player is 2-3 years away from making an impact... odds are we use it to draft a big PF anyway... so why not just speed the process up... get a finished product who we know is gritty and serviceable to play anywhere in top nine (he can play RW too) while still being young

Eventually this team must grow up... we need more NHL bodies today not more magic beans

I'd like a guy like Foligno as well... I think the Oilers will draft right around 8th though... and depending on injuries that could even be a little optimistic.

I'm basically opposed to trading their 1st rounder away when this team hasn't even really shown that they can sniff the playoffs yet.

It all depends on the deal of course but "magic beans" have netted this team Hall, Yak, RNH and Nurse these last few years... some pretty nice beans... and this team would be nowhere without the 1st 3.

So in short... trade anything but the 1st rounder until this team shows it can legitimately contend for a playoff spot.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:19 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
They don't even have the cap space for Grabovski. Also he wouldn't sign here if he knows that he's playing on the third line if everyone's healthy. That's why he was pissed in Toronto.
Obviously they don't have space NOW... they went and filled up on a bunch of other marginals... and didn't use their compliance buyouts properly. Will it come back to bite them on the ass... we'll see.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:23 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
This just in... Toby Petersen on waivers... I think I know an Oilers ex coach who really liked that guy...

he's better than all our doods

Old
09-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Obviously they don't have space NOW... they went and filled up on a bunch of other marginals... and didn't use their compliance buyouts properly. Will it come back to bite them on the ass... we'll see.
I don't know, I guess if the bought out Hemsky or Nick Schultz they'd have the room (Hemsky actually looking really good so far though). Grabovski probably still sign in Washington to possibly play with Ovechkin rather than here to play with Joensuu and Jones.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Arcobello is going to have to fill in for Gagner imo:

Yak?/Hall/Hemsky
Perron/Arcobello/Eberle
Joenssu/Gordon/Jones
Hamilton/Smyth/Brown

Dat C depth...

Old
09-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Paralyzer008

Am I the only one who thinks that Arcobello sucks?

I'd rather see what's on the waiver wire and pick a guy up.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
To EDM- N. Foligno
That package is closer to Ryan Johansen than Nick Foglino. Awful

Old
09-22-2013, 06:13 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
That package is closer to Ryan Johansen than Nick Foglino. Awful
Yes you are right we should want no part of a 15-20 goal 35-40 point winger who can get 100+ PIM... how silly of me what was I thinking... Oilers should continue dress Ryan Jones instead as third line LW... hold onto our magic bean pick that will not help us until Hall RNH Ebs are halfway through their deals...

Some folks I swear wish we would have kept 1st we traded for Roli in '06... because it was a draft pick could have been a superstar...

Old
09-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Yes you are right we should want no part of a 15-20 goal 35-40 point winger who can get 100+ PIM... how silly of me what was I thinking... Oilers should continue dress Ryan Jones instead as third line LW... hold onto our magic bean pick that will not help us until Hall RNH Ebs are halfway through their deals...

Some folks I swear wish we would have kept 1st we traded for Roli in '06... because it was a draft pick could have been a superstar...
Funny part about this, if we would have kept the first round pick in 06, we'd have got Nick Foligno anyways So, yeah, we COULD have got a superstar if we kept it

Old
09-22-2013, 06:40 PM
skorf

I'd offer 1.5 million to Prospal... if he says no. Offer it to Mason Raymond (he can't play C, but Eberle or even Perron can), and Raymond could fill in top 2 lines and he's solid enough defensively to be a 3rd line guy.

Other than that, I'd say maybe Khaira for 9 games...

but if we want a guy like Wellwood... I'd rather just run with Lander or Arcobello there.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:57 PM
skorf

IF Gagner and Nuge both aren't ready to go at the beginning of the year... do we give Omark a chance in the top 6?

Omark/Hall/Hemsky
Perron/Eberle/Yakupov

Since if Omark ever would crack the squad... good chance it may have to be a top 6 role. There may not be a better time then the first 5 games of the season to see if he can do it.

I know he hasn't looked that well, but giving him some linemates could help him; plus we'd see if there's anything left

Joensuu/Gordon/Smyth
Hamilton/Acton/Brown
Jones

-as our bottom 2 lines

Old
09-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
IF Gagner and Nuge both aren't ready to go at the beginning of the year... do we give Omark a chance in the top 6?

Omark/Hall/Hemsky
Perron/Eberle/Yakupov

Since if Omark ever would crack the squad... good chance it may have to be a top 6 role. There may not be a better time then the first 5 games of the season to see if he can do it.

I know he hasn't looked that well, but giving him some linemates could help him; plus we'd see if there's anything left

Joensuu/Gordon/Smyth
Hamilton/Acton/Brown
Jones

-as our bottom 2 lines
Looks good to me
Would give Omark a legit chance to prove himself in the top 6

Closed Thread