HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
NugeFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
IF Gagner and Nuge both aren't ready to go at the beginning of the year... do we give Omark a chance in the top 6?

Omark/Hall/Hemsky
Perron/Eberle/Yakupov

Since if Omark ever would crack the squad... good chance it may have to be a top 6 role. There may not be a better time then the first 5 games of the season to see if he can do it.

I know he hasn't looked that well, but giving him some linemates could help him; plus we'd see if there's anything left

Joensuu/Gordon/Smyth
Hamilton/Acton/Brown
Jones

-as our bottom 2 lines
IMO Acton should not be in the NHL. He is terrible!

Old
09-22-2013, 07:39 PM
oilers4cup
Col. Klink

vCash: 163
With only 18 healthy forwards left in camp

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

4 or 5 of Acton , Arcobello , Eager, R.Hamilton , Jones ,Lander & Omark will make the team to start the season mdepending on whether the Oilers keep 13 or 14 forwards

9 healthy Defencemen fighting for 7-8 spots assuming Nurse goes back to junior

Goaltending is set

Some interesting decisions for sure

Old
09-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Well I would say Potter is easily the odd man out, as he hasn't played and no one misses him.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

So many "NO" gifs. You can tell things are getting bad.

Considering the cap space situation I think MacT needs to look at trading a D for a C. We could sign Wellwood for cheap and fit him under the cap, he's good on the dot and has some skill. Doesn't bring much of anything else, but once everyone's healthy he'd be on the 4th line or gone on waivers. But trading a guy like Nick Schultz would free up plenty of space, gives us some wiggle room and I'm sure Schultz is worth a decent 3rd or 4th line center.

Just sitting here and shaking my head at the whole situation. Fans address these glaring holes on the roster and management doesn't seem to think it's a problem, then all the sudden we're out Gagner and RNH and we're absolutely screwed. MacT should have done the obvious and hunted for another center months ago. It's mind boggling and I'm starting to question him at this point. I'm assuming he really wanted to have competition for the 4th line spot, and that's nice, but the guys competing for that spot just aren't that good.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:11 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

vCash: 50
It's a good wake up call to those who said... "What's it matter if Lander/Acton/Smyth/whatever are the 4th line centres... who cares, it's just the 4th line and they only play a few minutes a game.

Well just like last season when the Oilers had several C injuries and they had **** all in the pipeline to replace them with... it's happening yet again. It seems to take some fans AND the Oilers management a LOOONG time to get the point that this org obviously needs more decent centre depth.

Now it's picking through the ashes to find someone to fill the gaps.

Shift Hall to centre... push Gordon who's the best defensive centre and a clear bottom 6 guy into a top 6 role. Bring in Arcobello who has a grand total of 1 game of actual NHL experience... or Acton who has none, or go with Smyth who did such a great job last year... or Lander who is probably the best option.. but obviously is marginal at the NHL level at best and needs more seasoning in OKC.

It's not as simple as saying "who knew they'd be down 2 centres this quick"... because they were already down 1 and you should be prepared for injuries when they seem to happen EVERY YEAR like clockwork.

Maybe things will still turn out ok if Hall/Eberle/Gordon/Arcobello/Lander/Acton/Smyth manage to play above and beyond to fill in until RNH/Gagner come back... but it just seems like once again management is behind the curve in addressing obvious deficiencies and holes in the roster until it's glaringly obvious to even a blind man.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:12 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

If, hypothetically, Gagner is out a couple weeks, do we really need to sign Wellwood/trade for a scrub C to fill a void? I'd rather we not, and roll with one of the young guys.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:13 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
It's a good wake up call to those who said... "What's it matter if Lander/Acton/Smyth/whatever are the 4th line centres... who cares, it's just the 4th line and they only play a few minutes a game.

Well just like last season when the Oilers had several C injuries and they had **** all in the pipeline to replace them with... it's happening yet again. It seems to take some fans AND the Oilers management a LOOONG time to get the point that this org obviously needs more decent centre depth.

Now it's picking through the ashes to find someone to fill the gaps.

Shift Hall to centre... push Gordon who's the best defensive centre and a clear bottom 6 guy into a top 6 role. Bring in Arcobello who has a grand total of 1 game of actual NHL experience... or Acton who has none, or go with Smyth who did such a great job last year... or Lander who is probably the best option.. but obviously is marginal at the NHL level at best and needs more seasoning in OKC.

It's not as simple as saying "who knew they'd be down 2 centres this quick"... because they were already down 1 and you should be prepared for injuries when they seem to happen EVERY YEAR like clockwork.

Maybe things will still turn out ok if Hall/Eberle/Gordon/Arcobello/Lander/Acton/Smyth manage to play above and beyond to fill in until RNH/Gagner come back... but it just seems like once again management is behind the curve in addressing obvious deficiencies and holes in the roster until it's glaringly obvious to even a blind man.
Did you really expect a team coming off a total rebuild to be able to fill the gap when their top two centres go down?

Old
09-22-2013, 10:14 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

my ideal scenario: trade for Brian Boyle and sign Wellwood

need to free up some cap space, but that's not the end of the world

Old
09-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Psychoil

we should get john scott lol, he cant play but he'd sure go loco on the canucks

Old
09-22-2013, 10:26 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
we should get john scott lol, he cant play but he'd sure go loco on the canucks
this lol

Old
09-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Jonathan Harker

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m

Is this good time to note EDM, which was looking for super heavyweight BEFORE last night, is now ramping up that search. G'nite. #trolling

noooooooooooooooooooo!!

Old
09-22-2013, 10:40 PM
backhandsauce

Big Mac coming home?

Old
09-22-2013, 10:41 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

I'm honestly wondering if a guy like MacIntyre isn't on MacT's radar... you want nuclear to deliver some crazy to head hunting opponents who go out of their way to hurt the smallish Oilers roster... Smac is your guy.

I'm not advocating eye for an eye but... well yes I am.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:42 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post

Is this good time to note EDM, which was looking for super heavyweight BEFORE last night, is now ramping up that search. G'nite. #trolling

noooooooooooooooooooo!!
Really? You like guys running our stars night in and night out. We need a sheriff.

Old
40oz

Quote:

noooooooooooooooooooo!!

Bob, that **** disturber.

Old
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Just sitting here and shaking my head at the whole situation. Fans address these glaring holes on the roster and management doesn't seem to think it's a problem, then all the sudden we're out Gagner and RNH and we're absolutely screwed. MacT should have done the obvious and hunted for another center months ago. It's mind boggling and I'm starting to question him at this point. I'm assuming he really wanted to have competition for the 4th line spot, and that's nice, but the guys competing for that spot just aren't that good.
the most frustrating part about all of this, is that literally every single fricken oilers fan in the entire ******* *world* was complaining about our centre depth all off-season.... mact continued to state that it wasn't a problem.... how is it possible that the fans sitting at home all saw this problem, but the GM of the team whose JOB IT IS to know these things was oblivious? incompetence at a staggering level

Old
09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Kovacic
Talbot + Cap Space

vCash: 981
Quote:

noooooooooooooooooooo!!
I've never seen McKenzie use #Trolling as a hashtag, something is up and I don't feel good about it.

I wish the Oilers got Clifford when it was rumored. Would've paid 2 2nd round picks for him.

Last edited by Kovacic: 09-22-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: damn autocorrect
Old
09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Really? You like guys running our stars night in and night out. We need a sheriff.
Sure, but you need a sheriff that players will actually fight. MacIntyre isn't much if a "deterrent" if no one will drop the gloves with him.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:48 PM
MetaOil1993

Quote:

noooooooooooooooooooo!!
Please not Steve MacIntyre, I have a feeling they claimed him.

On the other hand I would love a guy like Ryan Reaves. Too bad he probably isn't available.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
If, hypothetically, Gagner is out a couple weeks, do we really need to sign Wellwood/trade for a scrub C to fill a void? I'd rather we not, and roll with one of the young guys.
gagner is going to be out at least a month, at minimum, and could be much longer if his jaw requires surgery .... 2 weeks is fantasy land

yes, we need to sign or trade an actual NHL centerman.... will we? of course not, because when was the last time the oilers did something to address a need?

Old
09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Sure, but you need a sheriff that players will actually fight. MacIntyre isn't much if a "deterrent" if no one will drop the gloves with him.
MacIntyre went crazy in a game in the AHL... I'm guessing he is probably at that stage of his career where he knows he has to risk a suspension if a situation called for it... in order to stick an NHL job. I believe he could do that for the Oilers.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
gagner is going to be out at least a month, at minimum, and could be much longer if his jaw requires surgery .... 2 weeks is fantasy land
Agreed and I read on here it was broken in 2 places , not looking good.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Paralyzer008

As the Leafs/Sabres proved tonight, you need facepunches

Old
09-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
my ideal scenario: trade for Brian Boyle and sign Wellwoodneed to free up some cap space, but that's not the end of the world
Yes please and meh.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Yes please and meh.
I say Wellwood because he has a similar style to Gagner, so it would be a good replacement and for very cheap.

If there is another potential top six center that you can think of that would be just as good and just as cheap, I'm all ears.

Closed Thread