HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2013, 04:09 PM
DHins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
O'Brien isn't a tough guy by any means, but I hear from Sens fans he's actually pretty good defensively and is proven to work on the PK. That alone makes him more useful than Will Acton. He's also produced offensively in the AHL at least, so there's a much higher chance for him to translate that to the NHL than daddy's boy. Picking up Jim O'Brien and sending Acton down is a no brainer to me.
As someone who follows both the oilers and senators closely, i'd say O'Brien is definitely a serviceable 4th liner. For some reason Sens management lost faith in him last year (most assume it was off ice issues), so i could see why the oilers would be hesitant to bring him in.

The player that the oilers should really be targeting is Stephan Da Costa. He's been called up a few times by the Sens over the past few season. He's not the best 2 way player, but his offensive instincts are incredible. He would be a great stop gap for Nuge and Ganger while they are injured, and a line of Hall- Da Costa- Eberle would not miss a beat. Ottawa had a log jam at center, so i wouldnt be surprised to see edmonton ship a 3rd or something like that out for him.

I think the oilers have a decent shot at making the playoffs this year. I'd hate so see them miss it because they got off to a slow start from missing their top 2 centers.

If you want to read more about Da Costa there is a thread on him on the ottawa board

Old
09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
According to people here, every player who hits the waiver wire should be picked up. They seem to ignore the fact that the player couldn't make their own NHL team.
I don't think its fair to paint it that black and white. There's been a lot of good players on waivers over the years for various reasons. Just look at St Louis' forwards right now. There's going to be some very useful guys not in their lineup

Old
09-26-2013, 04:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't think its fair to paint it that black and white. There's been a lot of good players on waivers over the years for various reasons. Just look at St Louis' forwards right now. There's going to be some very useful guys not in their lineup
There are good guys that go on, but so far it's been borderline NHLers at best.

Old
09-26-2013, 04:42 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
There are good guys that go on, but so far it's been borderline NHLers at best.
Oh for sure. Most teams haven't made their final cuts either though

Old
09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
So if you go to this thread in the OTT page, the sens fans think this guy is a good 4th line center who should get picked up...

But maybe they just don't act like HF Oil posters and run down all of theirs players from the second line down....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1504451
Ottawa fans think everybody they have is an NHL player. Da Costa's a good example, a soft little guy who's alright in the AHL, but will apparently be a good 2nd line center. If he was so good how come his production is so mediocre? Everytime i've seen him in the NHL he looks soft and overwhelmed, and i don't throw the soft label out there often. I take Sens fans with a grain of salt, good coaching has made a lot of their players look a bit better than they are.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:00 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

According to Capgeek... 8 teams are currently over the cap limit... and 9 teams are carrying 24 or more players so you know there is going to be some roster shuffling for every team to get down to the cap and player limit.

There WILL some interesting 4th line (and maybe even 3rd line) options out there so hopefully MacT doesn't have his blinders on and isn't completely satisfied with the current Oilers roster.

edited to add:

My understanding of how the cap limits work is that teams have to get cap compliant first before they can then go over the cap limit with players on LTIR.... so essentially some teams have to make paper transactions to move players down to the minors (through waivers if they are waiver eligible) before they can be called back up as replacements for those LTIR players.

Simple example: if a team is say... 2 million over the cap limit with 23 players and one of those players is on LTIR with a 4 million cap hit... they still have to dump 2 million in cap to become cap compliant before they can then replace the 4 million salary of that LTIR player... taking them over the cap limit again by a max of 4 million (the amount of the cap hit of the injured player).

Someone correct me if I have that wrong.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 09-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old
09-26-2013, 06:17 PM
backhandsauce

Brule released by the Yotes. Pretty sad. I was rooting for him.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:17 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
According to Capgeek... 8 teams are currently over the cap limit... and 9 teams are carrying 24 or more players so you know there is going to be some roster shuffling for every team to get down to the cap and player limit.

There WILL some interesting 4th line (and maybe even 3rd line) options out there so hopefully MacT doesn't have his blinders on and isn't completely satisfied with the current Oilers roster.

edited to add:

My understanding of how the cap limits work is that teams have to get cap compliant first before they can then go over the cap limit with players on LTIR.... so essentially some teams have to make paper transactions to move players down to the minors (through waivers if they are waiver eligible) before they can be called back up as replacements for those LTIR players.

Simple example: if a team is say... 2 million over the cap limit with 23 players and one of those players is on LTIR with a 4 million cap hit... they still have to dump 2 million in cap to become cap compliant before they can then replace the 4 million salary of that LTIR player... taking them over the cap limit again by a max of 4 million (the amount of the cap hit of the injured player).

Someone correct me if I have that wrong.
You're allowed to go over the cap in the offseason by 10%, I believe.

So a team like Philly wouldn't have to get cap compliant because they would have a $6.4M buffer during the offseason and then would be able to put Pronger's $4.5M on LTIR once the season starts and the buffer goes away.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:21 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Brule released by the Yotes. Pretty sad. I was rooting for him.
snap him up, we should

Old
09-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 4m
Bob McKenzie suggests the #Leafs may be trying to move Joe Colborne.
Even if he's struggling we should be all over that.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:24 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
yeah, he would be a good guy for our bottom 6 for sure... could help our C woes for the short term as well... i like him a LOT more than acton or hamilton, thats for sure

Old
09-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
snap him up, we should
I'd like to offer him an AHL contract.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:32 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, he would be a good guy for our bottom 6 for sure... could help our C woes for the short term as well... i like him a LOT more than acton or hamilton, thats for sure
I assume it's just picks?

I still think Liles is going to end up in CGY with Franson/Colborne. Now Colborne makes the most sense.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

You know, I'm not one to be an armchair GM, but I'd be down for Colbourne and Brule.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
You know, I'm not one to be an armchair GM, but I'd be down for Colbourne and Brule.
Would Brule even come back to the Oiler organization?

Old
09-26-2013, 07:17 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I would and I wouldn't. I almost think he's done as a hockey player. I really hope it's not the depression thing again that's getting to him, because that really made me sad to see such a nice kid go through crap like that. Although, I do remember discussing him with a friend who was drafted the year before Brule, who played against Brule a lot, that he wasn't really going to cut it in the NHL, he plays a big mans game in a little mans body. He was dominant in the WHL but that's because he was playing against kids, when he ran into men it became something totally different.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Would Brule even come back to the Oiler organization?
I can't say because I don't know. I don't know if they left on bad terms, I don't have a clue.

I'm more excited at the availability of Colbourne, perfect buy low, high reward type of guy.

He has ties with Eakins obviously and I think that's the biggest factor. But that's just pure speculation on my part.

I don't know how well Colbourne has been, other than he's been struggling, yet the low cost and the size he has is drool worthy.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Tim Thomas signs with Florida. Just a guess but I bet the old crazy man has a petty solid year for the Panthers.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:27 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Tim Thomas signs with Florida. Just a guess but I bet the old crazy man has a petty solid year for the Panthers.
In front of that team? Thomas is good but he also had a very good Bruins team in front of him.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
In front of that team? Thomas is good but he also had a very good Bruins team in front of him.
So who's this new owner that Thomas was waiting for. Sounds like Tallon isn't going to have such a short budget. He might actually get them back into the playoffs.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:31 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Ya I know Florida is crap... and no way they make the playoffs... but I bet Thomas still has a decent season for them. He definitely makes them better in net with him than without him. I think he still has something in the tank.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:35 PM
DHins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Ottawa fans think everybody they have is an NHL player. Da Costa's a good example, a soft little guy who's alright in the AHL, but will apparently be a good 2nd line center. If he was so good how come his production is so mediocre? Everytime i've seen him in the NHL he looks soft and overwhelmed, and i don't throw the soft label out there often. I take Sens fans with a grain of salt, good coaching has made a lot of their players look a bit better than they are.
Maybe Ottawa fans think that because they have only missed the playoffs twice in the last 16 years, or because last season with all the injuries they got to witness a lot of their call ups perform well and help them reach the playoofs

Or maybe you're right, their prospects are only good because of their coach

Old
09-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I would and I wouldn't. I almost think he's done as a hockey player. I really hope it's not the depression thing again that's getting to him, because that really made me sad to see such a nice kid go through crap like that. Although, I do remember discussing him with a friend who was drafted the year before Brule, who played against Brule a lot, that he wasn't really going to cut it in the NHL, he plays a big mans game in a little mans body. He was dominant in the WHL but that's because he was playing against kids, when he ran into men it became something totally different.
He says the depression issues are largely behind him. I think its too early for this young man to fall out of hockey. There's still a player in there. I agree that he was a star in junior because he was able to assert his style of play against kids and its not effective with his frame against men.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:26 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I can't say because I don't know. I don't know if they left on bad terms, I don't have a clue.

I'm more excited at the availability of Colbourne, perfect buy low, high reward type of guy.

He has ties with Eakins obviously and I think that's the biggest factor. But that's just pure speculation on my part.

I don't know how well Colbourne has been, other than he's been struggling, yet the low cost and the size he has is drool worthy.
I believe Brule said things ended on good terms. I could be wrong though

Quote:
I assume it's just picks?

I still think Liles is going to end up in CGY with Franson/Colborne. Now Colborne makes the most sense.
Franson signed this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Agreed. Let him compete with Arcobello for the #2 spot, and then bump him down to the #4 spot when Nuge is back

Old
09-26-2013, 08:28 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Agreed.

I proposed this last year after he was released from his Swiss team. He's a kid who brings a physical game. If all of his personal problems are behind him and he's 100% committed to making the NHL again, it could only mean good things for a guy like Tyler Pitlick to have that kind of competition in the lineup.

Closed Thread