HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2013, 07:33 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I'd like to offer him an AHL contract.
It makes more sense, imo, to offer him an NHL contract and let him compete for the #2C spot as a stop gap

Old
09-26-2013, 07:44 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
He says the depression issues are largely behind him. I think its too early for this young man to fall out of hockey. There's still a player in there. I agree that he was a star in junior because he was able to assert his style of play against kids and its not effective with his frame against men.
Yup, it's why he always had trouble against the Rockets when he was in junior. Those kids were built like men, and a lot of them made the NHL.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
belair

vCash: 500
A bit more on big Joe....

I know the scouting reports say he's a big guy that doesn't use his size. But NHL.com is showing that he's averaged 2 hits per game in his brief stints in the NHL.

This guy might be worth the gamble of moving a guy like Curtis Hamilton. He could potentially turn out as a poor man's Dustin Penner.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:26 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Would Brule even come back to the Oiler organization?
His options have run out from what it looks like, I think he'd take a shot in the NHL wherever he could find one. A better scenario would be him signing an AHL deal to hold the fort for Arcobello while he does his thing for the first 10 games or so. It'll give Brule a chance to play big minutes against weaker opposition (and hopefully regain confidence) and won't leave as big a gap on the farm?

Old
09-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Well, Colborne would be in a system he understands here, at least. He also played really well for Eakins before he got a freak hand injury, IIRC.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:29 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
A bit more on big Joe....

I know the scouting reports say he's a big guy that doesn't use his size. But NHL.com is showing that he's averaged 2 hits per game in his brief stints in the NHL.

This guy might be worth the gamble of moving a guy like Curtis Hamilton. He could potentially turn out as a poor man's Dustin Penner.
If they'd do that swap, I'd hope MacT is already on the phone

Old
09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It makes more sense, imo, to offer him an NHL contract and let him compete for the #2C spot as a stop gap
Well he just needs to look as early as last season to see what playing in OKC did for Brett Clark. He simply played well and used it as a springboard for an NHL contract. Even though it was only 8 games, he was able to work his way back into the NHL at 35. He also received an invite to Florida's camp one year later.

Brule's still in his 20s. If he wants to get back into the league, that may be a good place to start.

Old
09-26-2013, 09:19 PM
MessierII

If MacT doesn't claim Jim O'Brien I will be choked.

Old
09-26-2013, 09:22 PM
tinfish

I've always liked Brule since his time in Edmonton. I'd welcome him back assuming he's healthy. Don't know a lot about Colborne, but if he's able to help out with our injury situation at center then I'd hope Mact is inquiring as to what it would take to get him.

Old
09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If they'd do that swap, I'd hope MacT is already on the phone
No kidding... Colborne is a player worth taking a shot at. Eakins knows him well and I'd imagine he could get the best out of him.

No idea what the Leafs would want in exchange... but I'd be willing to give up a fairly decent prospect in return. Colborne is something the Oilers really don't have in the pipeline right now.

I guess Yakimov and Khaira are possibilities if they pan out (and if they play centre) but they are still projects as well and Colborne is a player that could theoretically step in and immediately challenge Acton for that 4th line spot.

Old
09-26-2013, 10:38 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
On trade board a couple of Pheonix Fans were down for a Hemsky/Moss swap with uss getting a sweetener (3rd I think?). I think that would balance out our lines damn well...

Smyth-Hall-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Moss
Eager-Gordon-Brown

Old
09-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHins View Post
Maybe Ottawa fans think that because they have only missed the playoffs twice in the last 16 years, or because last season with all the injuries they got to witness a lot of their call ups perform well and help them reach the playoofs

Or maybe you're right, their prospects are only good because of their coach
They have lots of good players, my point is a guy like Da Costa isn't remarkable and neither is Jim O'Brien. Zack Smith isn't one of the best 3rd line center's in the league. Kyle Turris isn't a near elite tough minutes 2 way ace. MacLean puts his players in positions to succeed. I'm not talking anything away from the majority of the roster i'm just saying they overrate their fringe guys. There's lots of coaches that utilize guys in a way that makes them better, Tippet is a good example.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
On trade board a couple of Pheonix Fans were down for a Hemsky/Moss swap with uss getting a sweetener (3rd I think?). I think that would balance out our lines damn well...

Smyth-Hall-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Moss
Eager-Gordon-Brown
I'm definitely a pro-trade Hemsky guy. But right now, we can't afford to do so, as he and Eberle are our only real playmakers in the top 6. I jump all over that deal when RNH and Gagner return and have re-adjusted to playing. On a side note, your lines make me want to puke. You're not only screwing over two of our 3 biggest offensive catalysts by handing them the 20 ton anchor that is Sm(h)ytty. You're also hindering Gagner's offensive creativity and giving up our only chance of forming a true shutdown line in Joensuu-Gordon-Moss.

Ryan Smyth belongs on waivers. Not the first line.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:30 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Brule's done. Let's give one of the kids a chance to play 4C instead of a guy who's had multiple opportunities to become an NHL regular on two different teams, and has failed to do so each time.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I don't have a lot of familiarity with O'Brien but Ottawa has a deep prospect pool, given the number of games he played for Ottawa I have a hard time believing he's not an upgrade on Acton and Lander. I would put in a waiver claim in on him, I still think we need to add another center regardless so having a little more depth with us down to 1 proven healthy NHL center should be a no brainer.

I like Brule and wouldn't mind giving him another chance but I don't think fits the make-up of the 4th line we are trying to make. With us carrying meat heads who do little more than hit and fight, I think it is important to have a good defensive center to mitigate some of the defensive lapses that are going to come from having two guys running around hitting people. Also even on a healthy roster we really have no one other than Gordon capable of taking tough defensive assignments.

Colborne is interesting cause of his size and skill set, but it sounds like a lot of people have been underwhelmed with him along the way. I'd only make a play for him if Eakins really believes in him, I'm not convinced he is an upgrade on either of Acton or Lander.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:53 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Meh, I won't. Lots of teams are going to have to waive guys in the next few days. I'd prefer he wait and see if anyone better becomes available.

I am particularly partial to the Colbourne idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post

Smyth-Hall-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Moss
Eager-Gordon-Brown
Not a huge fan of moving Hemsky at this point. We're down 2 top 6 players and Hemsky is looking like Hemsky of old as of now. I'd prefer we keep him until at least closer to the deadline.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:58 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Brule's done. Let's give one of the kids a chance to play 4C instead of a guy who's had multiple opportunities to become an NHL regular on two different teams, and has failed to do so each time.
I always find it amusing when people want new and fresh faces brought in... and then want to go with people we already tried.

I do hope the best for Brule though.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I always find it amusing when people want new and fresh faces brought in... and then want to go with people we already tried.

I do hope the best for Brule though.
I would have rather had Gilbert over Grebeshkov....

and Penner over Jones....even though Penner is apparently struggling in TC

just saying

Old
09-27-2013, 12:01 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I would have rather had Gilbert over Grebeshkov....

and Penner over Jones....even though Penner is apparently struggling in TC

just saying
The latter maybe, but Penner has had issues ever since he left Edmonton. One good playoff doesn't always make up for lackluster seasons.

And if even the thin-on-Defense Wild don't want Gilbert...

Old
09-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Meh, I won't. Lots of teams are going to have to waive guys in the next few days. I'd prefer he wait and see if anyone better becomes available.

I am particularly partial to the Colbourne idea.

JOB has had success at the NHL level, which Colbourne (and Acton) haven't. He's even felt the playoffs, which a lot of our roster hasn't. I think if we don't claim him then it shows management still doesn't get it.

It's possible that he could play himself into a trade asset in the two months Gagner is out. Getting cut from the Sens is not comparable to the Oilers roster. We don't even know if Acton will be able to win face-offs in the NHL.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:30 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
JOB has had success at the NHL level, which Colbourne (and Acton) haven't. He's even felt the playoffs, which a lot of our roster hasn't. I think if we don't claim him then it shows management still doesn't get it.

It's possible that he could play himself into a trade asset in the two months Gagner is out. Getting cut from the Sens is not comparable to the Oilers roster. We don't even know if Acton will be able to win face-offs in the NHL.
He played some games on an injury riddled team and was basically a non-factor. I wouldn't really call that "success".

I definitely wouldn't use that as a reason to play him over a guy like Acton.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He played some games on an injury riddled team and was basically a non-factor. I wouldn't really call that "success".

I definitely wouldn't use that as a reason to play him over a guy like Acton.
O'Brien's stat line in the AHL looks a lot better than Acton's. Acton didn't really have to outplay any centers of note in our camp, I'd say we only had 3 centers who were supposed to be battle for the 4th line job and he looked to be the 2nd best out of 3 unproven commodities (Arcobello, Acton, and Lander).

Old
09-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The latter maybe, but Penner has had issues ever since he left Edmonton. One good playoff doesn't always make up for lackluster seasons.

And if even the thin-on-Defense Wild don't want Gilbert...
Penner had his best year with us imo. I'll keep saying it, I want the guy back. Now that we won't have to lean on him I think he'd fit in much better. He just isn't a 1st line player like we were trying to force him to be.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:47 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
O'Brien's stat line in the AHL looks a lot better than Acton's. Acton didn't really have to outplay any centers of note in our camp, I'd say we only had 3 centers who were supposed to be battle for the 4th line job and he looked to be the 2nd best out of 3 unproven commodities (Arcobello, Acton, and Lander).
That offensive production two years ago in the AHL hasn't translated to the NHL though. A couple of 15ish prorated seasons since.

You don't sign a guy to a two year deal and then claim someone off waivers to replace him who will more than likely provide the exact same thing.

Old
09-27-2013, 02:02 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

I'd definitely take a shot at Colborne... if you compare him to Acton who's never sniffed an NHL game yet, I'd take my chances with Colborne any day. The guy has size and still has upside to improve. He's shown reasonably well in the AHL and has some offensive skills.

I like Brule but he's now been given chances with several teams and really hasn't cut it. If it was the start of TC I'd be all for giving him a look on a PTO... but as far as signing him up now that the Coyotes have released him... I think his time has probably come and gone with the Oilers and they are better off looking elsewhere.

O'Brien... could be a decent pickup but honestly I'd rather see if there isn't anything a bit better on waivers or in a trade... (like a shot at Colborne)... but ya I think I'd take O'Brien over Lander/Acton for the 4th line.

Closed Thread