HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Burnt Biscuits

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That offensive production two years ago in the AHL hasn't translated to the NHL though. A couple of 15ish prorated seasons since.

You don't sign a guy to a two year deal and then claim someone off waivers to replace him who will more than likely provide the exact same thing.
As a betting man I would much rather gamble on O'Brien than Acton, very few people with Actons stat line ever cut out a decent NHL career for themselves. O'Brien has a better pedigree all down the line, and he improved his PPG every year aside from last year. Regardless of anything else we should be carrying a 5th center with the team, IMO an acquisition is 100% necessary. We're no longer running the Tambellini 3 ring circus, let's start acting like it by atleast trying to address glaring needs.

Old
09-27-2013, 03:49 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
As a betting man I would much rather gamble on O'Brien than Acton, very few people with Actons stat line ever cut out a decent NHL career for themselves. O'Brien has a better pedigree all down the line, and he improved his PPG every year aside from last year. Regardless of anything else we should be carrying a 5th center with the team, IMO an acquisition is 100% necessary. We're no longer running the Tambellini 3 ring circus, let's start acting like it by atleast trying to address glaring needs.
The thing is MacT stated he wasn't going to pick up someone on waivers unless they were a clear improvement over what they already have. My feeling is that Eakins/MacT are reasonably happy with Acton and I don't think they'd view O'Brien as a clearly superior upgrade even if most of us might see it differently.

Colborne on the other hand, I'd be disappointed if they didn't take a swing at if he becomes available.

Old
09-27-2013, 04:42 AM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Brule's done. Let's give one of the kids a chance to play 4C instead of a guy who's had multiple opportunities to become an NHL regular on two different teams, and has failed to do so each time.
Problem being we don't have any kids worth trying there. Not even remotely. If Lander didn't bomb I'd be happy letting him have another sniff, but Acton isn't going to develop into a screaming hellfire. When Brodziak made the team, he was 1000x the player that Acton is now (and I firmly believe Acton earned his slot vs. the available competition, to be fair).

Colborne would be worth shaking a stick at despite him being fairly mediocre (he has some potential and size and we have no reasonable centers: if you're going to take a gamble why not do it when you have the most to gain?)

I would be much more comfortable with our center depth if we had Brule. I would be shocked if Arcobello or Acton could make half the impact that he could. HELL, Brule had 37 points for us in 2009-10. If Acton and Arcobello wind up with 3 and 7 points respectively, we should be THRILLED. Even Colborne would be lucky to get 30 (although I do believe it would be in the realm of possibility).

Old
09-27-2013, 04:59 AM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Penner had his best year with us imo. I'll keep saying it, I want the guy back. Now that we won't have to lean on him I think he'd fit in much better. He just isn't a 1st line player like we were trying to force him to be.
You like Penner and you have almost Lazy in your name!
Penner isnt a good fit with Eakins as captain on the ship.

Penner hasnt the right work ethic and didnt showed up to often. He enjoys the sunny side of Na and his wife would divorce him if he even mention a town north of LA.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:30 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Penner hasnt the right work ethic and didnt showed up to often.
Yet he managed to lead the team in scoring in 2009 I believe, and scored at a 0.6 PPG pace for four seasons. Never injured and rarely missed a game (except when he got benched for being "fat" or "lazy"). Don't kid yourself Penner would help this team a lot. I'd welcome him on this roster.

Quote:
He enjoys the sunny side of Na and his wife would divorce him if he even mention a town north of LA.
He already got a divorce. Somehow I don't think the California dream went according to plan for Penner.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:59 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

curious to know what the leafs want for colborne?

Old
09-27-2013, 06:04 AM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yet he managed to lead the team in scoring in 2009 I believe, and scored at a 0.6 PPG pace for four seasons. Never injured and rarely missed a game (except when he got benched for being "fat" or "lazy"). Don't kid yourself Penner would help this team a lot. I'd welcome him on this roster.

He already got a divorce. Somehow I don't think the California dream went according to plan for Penner.
2009 Its soon 2014 and he has never even been close to that number he put up in the rest of his career! . He had/has some talent but he takes way to many days/years off.

17p and 14 p his last 2 seasons playing 2-line in a great team,30 years old and Eakins the new coach, dont kid yourself!

Old
09-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Oilers4life1987

I read on the Trade forum that the Leafs are looking to deal Colbourne. Would the Oilers be interested in him and what would it take in order to get him here?

Also, read somewhere that if the Oilers struggle that Ebs or Yak are likely to be traded for D help which is something I'd be totally against. Why trade a player like Ebs who, if healthy, can get 70-80pts and Yak is star in the making. His one-timer is incredible plus he works hard. Easily 70-80pts.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
manningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
JOB has had success at the NHL level, which Colbourne (and Acton) haven't. He's even felt the playoffs, which a lot of our roster hasn't. I think if we don't claim him then it shows management still doesn't get it.

It's possible that he could play himself into a trade asset in the two months Gagner is out. Getting cut from the Sens is not comparable to the Oilers roster. We don't even know if Acton will be able to win face-offs in the NHL.
I think they know what they're doing, it's going to be ooooo....kkkkk......

Old
09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If they'd do that swap, I'd hope MacT is already on the phone
The things is they have to him him in the NHL. I am not sure if Colbourne is an upgrade on Lander and Pitlick, TBH.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:29 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
I read on the Trade forum that the Leafs are looking to deal Colbourne. Would the Oilers be interested in him and what would it take in order to get him here?

Also, read somewhere that if the Oilers struggle that Ebs or Yak are likely to be traded for D help which is something I'd be totally against. Why trade a player like Ebs who, if healthy, can get 70-80pts and Yak is star in the making. His one-timer is incredible plus he works hard. Easily 70-80pts.
Most likely just a made up rumour. I see Gagner, Smid, Klefbom and our 2014 first being traded before Ebs or Yak.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Either someone to take Liles with Colborne or the best pick they can get.

Been thinking. Toronto has had issues finding good centers and they are willing to move Colborne who really doesn't effect their cap? Something doesn't look right.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Oilers4life1987

i wouldn't trade Klefbom just yet or our 1st of this year cause that would mean that the Oilers would only have till the 3rd round to pick. Too early to write off Klefbom just yet. The guy hasn't played in a year so give him time to adjust to NA style of game.

Gagner or Smid I wouldn't mind.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That offensive production two years ago in the AHL hasn't translated to the NHL though. A couple of 15ish prorated seasons since.

You don't sign a guy to a two year deal and then claim someone off waivers to replace him who will more than likely provide the exact same thing.
Jim O'Brien at least shows he has some offence to translate. Acton can't even get it done in the AHL. Think about it this way, you can have a box that you know for sure is empty, or you can have a mystery box. In this case, you take the mystery box every time because at least there's a possibility you might get something good.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Jim O'Brien at least shows he has some offence to translate. Acton can't even get it done in the AHL. Think about it this way, you can have a box that you know for sure is empty, or you can have a mystery box. In this case, you take the mystery box every time because at least there's a possibility you might get something good.
Yeah I guess, O'Brien was a 1st round pick so he likely got more of a benefit of the doubt. Plus, you just hate Acton by virtue of him having the name Acton.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Highlander23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Maybe a 2 nd or a 3 rd+ a prospect (waiver exempt)

Fedun+3rd round pick ??

Old
09-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander23 View Post
Maybe a 2 nd or a 3 rd+ a prospect (waiver exempt)

Fedun+3rd round pick ??
No chance

More like Curtis Hamilton and a 4th, and that's alot. Colborne would have to go on waivers, so the Oilers could wait it out.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:24 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Would Brule even come back to the Oiler organization?
Is Brule in any position to be turning down NHL employment? If the Oilers were interested in signing him, he would sign.

09-27-2013, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Is Brule in any position to be turning down NHL employment? If the Oilers were interested in signing him, he would sign.
Considering that he thought we dealt with him in the wrong with his illness I'd say he could very well turn it down.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Highlander23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No chance

More like Curtis Hamilton and a 4th, and that's alot. Colborne would have to go on waivers, so the Oilers could wait it out.
Why laughing exactly ? you are the ones who need a Center, and th leafs will NEVER waive someone with colbourne salary, 600k

When you make a trade proposal, always ask yourself why the other team would make that deal, curtis hamilton is a nobody while colbourne is (or at least was) somebody

Old
09-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Why laughing exactly ? you are the ones who need a Center, and th leafs will NEVER waive someone with colbourne salary, 600k

When you make a trade proposal, always ask yourself why the other team would make that deal, curtis hamilton is a nobody while colbourne is (or at least was) somebody
If you don't like it, then leave. Why post something on an OILERS fan's opinion in an OILERS Rumor Thread if you don't agree with it? You don't see me going to the Leafs forum and post stuff like this. Jimmi has a point. If Colbourne was going to be waived, you'd be lucky to be getting Hamilton and a 4th. You could just lose him for nothing.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Petro Points

Quote:

Leafs will have to waive someone to get down to 23 man roster. Colbourne is the weakest link and they trying to fetch any return before they are forced to waive him.

Edmonton needs a stop gap 4th line Center who would be an upgrade over Acton. Acton is as big but wins faceoffs and kills penalties. If Colbourne hits waivers EDM would be interested but they wont be giving up a good asset for him.

Curtis Hamilton + 4th sounds about right.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
belair

Quote:

Prepare to be supremely disappointed.

As much as it pains you to hear, GMs have a knack of hearing about waiver-bound prospects. The idea of trading him would be to secure any type of value in return for a player you're about to lose for nothing.

The Leafs would waive someone if it meant freeing up a roster spot for a guy who has earned him job in training camp. IE. Carter Ashton

Old
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:

Because you're not getting an extremely near NHL ready defenseman AND a 3rd round pick for a Suspect who isn't earning a spot and the Leafs are in a bad spot.

I don't care what Leafs fans WANT, this is what I consider this Suspect worth at this point, especially when you consider he's the odd man out.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
manningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
i wouldn't trade Klefbom just yet or our 1st of this year cause that would mean that the Oilers would only have till the 3rd round to pick. Too early to write off Klefbom just yet. The guy hasn't played in a year so give him time to adjust to NA style of game.

Gagner or Smid I wouldn't mind.
If I heard that someone had already given up on Klefbom... The area of my brain that processes other people's stupidity would 'literally' explode.

There would just be blood and matter everywhere.

Closed Thread