HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

OT: Polar Ice Facilities

Old
01-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyLebowski View Post
Ooh, I would love a third sheet in Peoria! And to see it upgraded.
If it's as terrible as the first two I'd rather see them fix them instead of make a third.

01-14-2014, 01:50 PM
twominutes

vCash: 500
appears peoria polar sale closing soon

http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...s-say-den.html

twominutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:10 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:32 PM
azcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCYMOM View Post
Now if they can just get Gilbert.
Sale is pending with rogers from Arcadia on the gilbert polar ice. It's more complicated because of the lease agreement with the city of Gilbert. i heard it's pretty close though.
Now chandler and gilbert will not be affliliated so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out with the hockey leagues.

azcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Desert Ice 11

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Is the room on the right still a karate studio?

Desert Ice 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:00 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ice 11 View Post
Is the room on the right still a karate studio?
For the time being, yes. Rumor has it the currently closed-up room between it and the front, that used to be a small pro shop, will once again be a small pro shop.

Old
01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Desert Ice 11

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
For the time being, yes. Rumor has it the currently closed-up room between it and the front, that used to be a small pro shop, will once again be a small pro shop.
Yea, it used to be the rinks pro shop. Then Behind the mask moved in. Then the rink wouldn't cut them a break on lease so they moved out and the ninjas moved in.

Desert Ice 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Rbenj

This Friday Peoria will be officially owned by Jim Roger's group.
Which I also heard, the Burke's are part of.

So I heard, but, who really knows at this point.

Rbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 06:31 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

the paper did run an article on it saying the deal was to be closed by 1/21 for Peoria. So Friday would be reasonable.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...s-say-den.html

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:41 AM
HCYMOM

It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out. I know Gilbert is still up in the air. Hopefully it gets settled soon and that our programs can stay the same. We currently have 90 in kids first and well over 60 mini mites. If anybody comes in and changes our programs so my 4 year old has to go DOWN a level instead of up I (and many other parents) WILL NOT be happy and words will be had. As it is now my kid will be 5 and a mite in the fall. If he has to go back down to learn to play or something equivalent it will not be pretty and they will ruin the game for many young hockey players.

HCYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:16 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

He is still planning to buy Gilbert, it's just taking longer because that rink was built as part of an arrangement with the city.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:59 AM
azcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCYMOM View Post
It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out. I know Gilbert is still up in the air. Hopefully it gets settled soon and that our programs can stay the same. We currently have 90 in kids first and well over 60 mini mites. If anybody comes in and changes our programs so my 4 year old has to go DOWN a level instead of up I (and many other parents) WILL NOT be happy and words will be had. As it is now my kid will be 5 and a mite in the fall. If he has to go back down to learn to play or something equivalent it will not be pretty and they will ruin the game for many young hockey players.
Kids dont care as much as adults. I doubt very much it would "ruin" the game. Kids just love to play. Adults need to stay out of the way.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:52 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcanuck View Post
Kids dont care as much as adults. I doubt very much it would "ruin" the game. Kids just love to play. Adults need to stay out of the way.

This ^

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:18 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

It looks like the sale was finalized. Per Randy Exelby"

Quote:
BTM would like to congratulate AZ Ice Peoria on acquiring Polar Ice Peoria. Great news for West Valley hockey, figure skating and public skating.

Old
01-20-2014, 07:23 AM
HCYMOM

My son is a die hard hockey player. He comes home from practice to play more hockey. If he has to go back down a level or so (from mini mites) to basically learn to play instead of moving up to mites next year it will ruin his progression and he will be bored and not want to play.

HCYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:01 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

He's 4? He likely won't be disappointed and angry or bored unless you tell him to be. 4 yr olds have fun on the ice because it's fun to play, they aren't concerned with the administrative BS. And he's very unlikely to be concerned about his progression.

An ice rink with an owner and ADM >>>>>>> an ice rink with no owner that could close at any time.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:18 AM
azcanuck

Quote:
He's 4? He likely won't be disappointed and angry or bored unless you tell him to be. 4 yr olds have fun on the ice because it's fun to play, they aren't concerned with the administrative BS. And he's very unlikely to be concerned about his progression.

An ice rink with an owner and ADM >>>>>>> an ice rink with no owner that could close at any time.
your 100 percent right. at that age they dont process that way. It's an adult projecting their feelings.

I grew up playing in the minors of Canada and remember just how much I loved to play and how fun it was. Didnt care about anything else.

As a coach here it's mostly the adults I need to educate and get them realistic. The only thing we can do as parents is build the passion for the game if the kid has it. We more likely will ruin it by worrying about how much "progress" the kid is making and being overly technical. On the whole I really like the parents on my team. On some of the travel teams it's obnoxious how the parents are . they think what happens now will determine if their kids makes the NHL.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:31 AM
azcanuck

The nice thing about the sales is the different organizations owning the facilities.

I'm sure the ice den folks will improve the chandler ice facility. Already they are going to put in a restaurant and will open a pro shop. they will offer a first class youth hockey program. That's exciting as an option.

The rogers team will probably take over the gilbert polar ice and I'm less enthused about the prospects of improvement. just look at arcadia ice. It's a crap hole.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:31 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

To be fair, Arcadia has had some improvements in the past year.
And I will say that no matter what the shape of the building, the ice is nicely maintained. I don't care how pretty the building or the snack bar or the locker rooms are - if the ice is crap, it's not good. Peoria has had some ice issues for years.

And from what I've heard, their leagues are well-run. So when it comes down to it, the stuff that really matters should be OK.

Old
01-20-2014, 02:02 PM
azcanuck

Quote:
To be fair, Arcadia has had some improvements in the past year.
And I will say that no matter what the shape of the building, the ice is nicely maintained. I don't care how pretty the building or the snack bar or the locker rooms are - if the ice is crap, it's not good. Peoria has had some ice issues for years.

And from what I've heard, their leagues are well-run. So when it comes down to it, the stuff that really matters should be OK.
Yes I agree, most important is how the leagues are run. I've known Jim since I've moved to the valley and played hockey at arcadia. I remember how dark it was in there and it was great when they added lights.

But at the same time when you spend a lot of time at the rink it's nice to have clean warm dressing rooms and a nice place to grab a snack and a proper pro shop. I like how the ice den does business.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:02 PM
kihekah19

Quote:

As a coach here it's mostly the adults I need to educate and get them realistic. The only thing we can do as parents is build the passion for the game if the kid has it. We more likely will ruin it by worrying about how much "progress" the kid is making and being overly technical. On the whole I really like the parents on my team. On some of the travel teams it's obnoxious how the parents are . they think what happens now will determine if their kids makes the NHL.

As a former coach I couldn't agree more, parents are the biggest problem in the athletes development. Most seem to have the delusion that their kids are going to make the big show and it does nothing but detract from a great experience. Having said that.... a LOT, perhaps most coaches suffer from a similar albeit different problem, in that they are so afraid of losing that don't bother to find suitable roles for lesser developed players.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:05 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Yes I agree, most important is how the leagues are run. I've known Jim since I've moved to the valley and played hockey at arcadia. I remember how dark it was in there and it was great when they added lights.

But at the same time when you spend a lot of time at the rink it's nice to have clean warm dressing rooms and a nice place to grab a snack and a proper pro shop. I like how the ice den does business.

Give me a ratty ass old barn with good ice, vending machines for concessions - hell some places even had 'em for (tape back in the day) and I'm happy.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:47 PM
azcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
As a former coach I couldn't agree more, parents are the biggest problem in the athletes development. Most seem to have the delusion that their kids are going to make the big show and it does nothing but detract from a great experience. Having said that.... a LOT, perhaps most coaches suffer from a similar albeit different problem, in that they are so afraid of losing that don't bother to find suitable roles for lesser developed players.
We're all competitive and want to win. So do the kids to a lesser extent. Some parents really get wrapped up in that. I like the fact we play to win and lose so the kids can learn both. That being said I cant imagine at the youth hockey level playing some of the better kids more. I play everyone equally and get no complaints.

Old
01-29-2014, 01:36 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Came across my Twitter feed yesterday....

Polar Ice - Peoria has been renamed "AZ Ice"

https://twitter.com/BTMhockey/status.../photo/1/large

TheLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Came across my Twitter feed yesterday....

Polar Ice - Peoria has been renamed "AZ Ice"

https://twitter.com/BTMhockey/status.../photo/1/large
Someone mentioned it was the Arcadia guy that submitted the winning bid - which makes sense as the logo in that photo resembles this:

http://www.arcadiaice.com/

At any rate, good luck up there.