HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Mogilny and Domi be back ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
timlap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
No Brain is if we take Domi back. ...I say lose them all unless Mogilny is cleared 100% ...the rest of them no longer have the leggs to play or the bodies to sustain play when it matters most (playoffs)
It's time to retool, and go youth, or at least put a new face on the team.
People often say "go youth" but seldom explain what they mean. How should we go about doing that, and why can't it include these guys as part of the whole package?

And are you suggesting that Roberts, Nieuwendyk, and Domi can't compete in the playoffs?

Old
07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
People often say "go youth" but seldom explain what they mean. How should we go about doing that, and why can't it include these guys as part of the whole package?
if he's suggesting we cut them all and fill the gaps with Marlies...then he's off his rocker

Old
07-06-2005, 03:35 PM
mydnyte

I've always wanted to see the younger players get a chance and sadly I think that Roberts, and Nieuwendyk are done
...Roberts faded big time last playoffs similar to the way Derek King just lost it, and Nieuwendyk may have been the best player when he wasnt hurt, but that was 40% of the time at best ...and I havent been a Domi fan for a few years now.
Marlies have enough players to fill the holes ...Steen/Wellwood/Wilm(or anyone else to fill Domi's spot) should replace Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Domi.

Old
07-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've always wanted to see the younger players get a chance and sadly I think that Roberts, and Nieuwendyk are done
...Roberts faded big time last playoffs similar to the way Derek King just lost it, and Nieuwendyk may have been the best player when he wasnt hurt, but that was 40% of the time at best ...and I havent been a Domi fan for a few years now.
Marlies have enough players to fill the holes ...Steen/Wellwood/Wilm(or anyone else to fill Domi's spot) should replace Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Domi.
the marlies have enough players to fill the holes, but so does my beer league team.

are there enough quality players on the marlies to fill the holes and not lose 60 games, thats another question.

sundin, stajan, wellwood, steen down the middle?
hello draft lottery

Old
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo
the marlies have enough players to fill the holes, but so does my beer league team.

are there enough quality players on the marlies to fill the holes and not lose 60 games, thats another question.

sundin, stajan, wellwood, steen down the middle?
hello draft lottery
I'm hoping the Leafs go after Allison to fill the 2 slot, but, stajan/wellwood/steen is not terrible either. ...and Antropov is also a center, and Tucker can play Center too.
Leaf's weakness is LW with only Earl in the system, but a center can easily play LW if needed.

...everyone here is saying Wellwood and Steen will be on the team, who do you think they will be replacing??

Old
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
timlap

Quote:
...Roberts faded big time last playoffs similar to the way Derek King just lost it, and Nieuwendyk may have been the best player when he wasnt hurt, but that was 40% of the time at best
Nieuwy played 64 games last season (getting 50 points) and 9 playoff games. Definitely a lot better than 40%.

You think roberts faded? He had 8 points in 13 playoff games and played well, as I recall.

Quote:
...and I havent been a Domi fan for a few years now.
Fine. Domi is a minor issue.

Quote:
I'm happy to see these guys playing next season, if they are capable. But I feel sure none will be able to replace Roberts or Nieuwendyk.

Why not have all 5 of them on the team????

Old
07-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
You know, I didn't think this merited a new thread. And I didnt want to be the kinda guy that goes on other teams boards and criticizes their thoughts on their own team.

But..

They have a thread on Gary Roberts. Saying basically that they would love him. And love the possibility of Nieuwendyk joining up too.

Weren't these the same people that bluntly made fun of the Leafs (at least tried too) for having an aged goaltender (Belfour), and an aged lineup?

Since they've been eliminated by our 2004 edition Leafs, they've signed an aged goaltender (Hasek) and now praise Roberts and Nieuwendyk and would love for them to go there..

This is kind of a mini-rant, I know..

I just felt I should bring this up, for some reason

Old
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
and the fact that JF wants back Beflour for one more yr indicates he probably won't go on a youth movement this year.
What do you expect JFJ to say? Belfour's old and expensive I want someone younger and cheaper? He has to say he'll keep him, doesn't mean he isn't checking out the options.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm hoping the Leafs go after Allison to fill the 2 slot, but, stajan/wellwood/steen is not terrible either. ...and Antropov is also a center, and Tucker can play Center too.
Leaf's weakness is LW with only Earl in the system, but a center can easily play LW if needed.

...everyone here is saying Wellwood and Steen will be on the team, who do you think they will be replacing??
it is terrible, 2 of those guys have never played an NHL game, im all for going with some youth, but when 3 of your centres have a combined less than 100 games experience, thats just asking for losing.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

you could easily break in wellwood and steen as 4th liners
wellwood for pp's
steen for pk's

Old
07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
you could easily break in wellwood and steen as 4th liners
wellwood for pp's
steen for pk's
Rumors have smaller roster sizes, so, i doubt that will be an option, although it could be used to get thier feet wet.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:02 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo
it is terrible, 2 of those guys have never played an NHL game, im all for going with some youth, but when 3 of your centres have a combined less than 100 games experience, thats just asking for losing.
If this is true then we are overrating our prospects as people like to always tell us.
If Toronto loses, I doubt it will be because of playing youth like Steen/Wellwood.

Old
07-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Calorissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
You know, I didn't think this merited a new thread. And I didnt want to be the kinda guy that goes on other teams boards and criticizes their thoughts on their own team.

But..

They have a thread on Gary Roberts. Saying basically that they would love him. And love the possibility of Nieuwendyk joining up too.

Weren't these the same people that bluntly made fun of the Leafs (at least tried too) for having an aged goaltender (Belfour), and an aged lineup?

Since they've been eliminated by our 2004 edition Leafs, they've signed an aged goaltender (Hasek) and now praise Roberts and Nieuwendyk and would love for them to go there..

This is kind of a mini-rant, I know..

I just felt I should bring this up, for some reason

Scugs:

I thought I would elaborate on your comments (as a Sens fan):

Signing Roberts and Nieuwie - They would provide more vet leadership and determination. Due to the young guns the Sens have they would not be called on to provide as much in the regular season so they may have more left for the playoffs. It is a crap shoot, but I would take that bet.

Laughing at Belfour last year - it did happen and who is laughing now. Lesson learned. He played great and proved he still had it. My hat is off to him. I think people hope Hasek can regain some of his old form too, but if you go on that board you will see that not everyone is thrilled at having Hasek (some are even annoyed that they got rid of Lalime ).

I hope this sheds light on the comments.

As far as the Leafs go this year. I would do what I could to keep Belfour and Domi. If Belfour can stay healthy he is elite, and Domi is the heart of the Leafs. If Almo is healthy he is a force, so keep him if healthy. Roberts and Nieuwie I can't see you guys being able to keep them, but if you can find a way to inject other UFAs in to take the pressure off these guys, you would continue to have one hell of a team.

Old
07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi
and Domi is the heart of the Leafs.
he's not now, never has been, and never will be the heart of the Leafs
...he may love the team, and the city, and many of the fans adore him, but, he is nothing more than a 7 minute a game player (okay, he may range anyplace from 6 mins to 12 mins not including penalty box time).

Old
07-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Calorissi, where's your avatar? Was it a Jeff Dee drawing, by the way?

Old
07-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Mike1

It all depends on what they are willing to play for. It's a very different market place now. A franchise player, who used to get 8 or 9 million now is in the 5-6 million range. I would imagine that has a trickle down effect. Now thats not going to stop players from asking for whatever they think they can get BUT in this market place potentially coming up, if for example Gary Roberts asks for 3 million. If your the Leafs you have to see with the huge amount of players available(if the contracts are not rolled back) if this is really the best player you can get for this amount of money. I would not be surprised if they go in a different direction & they end up saying for 3 million dollars now i can get Player X, who is 31 & could give me 50-60 points, lets do this deal instead.

Old
07-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

One thing's for sure, the Leafs WILL be a much younger team than last year, particularly the bottom half of the lineup. More speed and fresher legs can only help us.

I think Colaiacovo and Steen have a better shot than Wellwood this year, but all will be given a chance to make the big team in a couple months. Guys like Leetch, Mogilny and Roberts will likely be replaced with players around 30 who are still in their prime.

Stajan-Nieuwendyk-Steen could be an interesting line, though. I still like the idea of Joe on our 3rd line.

Old
07-10-2005, 10:16 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Stajan-Nieuwendyk-Steen could be an interesting line, though. I still like the idea of Joe on our 3rd line.[/QUOTE]

not enough size or toughness on the wing with that trio

Old
07-10-2005, 10:48 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Stajan-Nieuwendyk-Steen could be an interesting line, though. I still like the idea of Joe on our 3rd line.

not enough size or toughness on the wing with that trio[/QUOTE]

Three good Canadian kids.

Steen and Niewy will take care of Stajan.

Old
07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

not enough size or toughness on the wing with that trio
How so ??

Our 4th line is Domi .. Perrott .... Belak

Old
07-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
How so ??

Our 4th line is Domi .. Perrott .... Belak
Ugh. Let's hope not.

Old
07-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Ugh. Let's hope not.
Speaking of Ugh ..

Are you aware that Chris Pronger will not even be a UFA this off season .. Pronger is born Oct 1974 .. All reports suggest that in year 1 that the age will not drop and remain at 31 ..

The only hope would be the 2006-07 season or for the blues not to Qualify him as a RFA thus making him a UFA in the process ..

Old
07-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Speaking of Ugh ..

Are you aware that Chris Pronger will not even be a UFA this off season .. Pronger is born Oct 1974 .. All reports suggest that in year 1 that the age will not drop and remain at 31 ..

The only hope would be the 2006-07 season or for the blues not to Qualify him as a RFA thus making him a UFA in the process ..
I don't know about "all" reports. Maybe a couple recently, yes. I'm not convinced there won't be a luxury tax because Nick Kypreos says so, either.

If Pronger stays in St. Louis, then we go after Niedermeyer. There's a guy who Pat Quinn would love, and he just won the Norris Trophy. He may have no interest in the Leafs, I guess we'll find out shortly.

Leetch would be a last resort at that position, only because of age. He's getting older and I don't think he can do the 28 minutes every other night in the playoffs anymore.

Old
07-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I don't know about "all" reports. Maybe a couple recently, yes. I'm not convinced there won't be a luxury tax because Nick Kypreos says so, either.

If Pronger stays in St. Louis, then we go after Niedermeyer. There's a guy who Pat Quinn would love, and he just won the Norris Trophy. He may have no interest in the Leafs, I guess we'll find out shortly.

Leetch would be a last resort at that position, only because of age. He's getting older and I don't think he can do the 28 minutes every other night in the playoffs anymore.
Well we will not know all the rules of the CBA until the vote is complete so you are correct on that .. However the luxury is no longer just a Kypreos thing .. TSN and LA times and NY post etc etc are all reporting that now ..

Niedermayer will be the perfect player in a NHL that is attempting to open up the game and a Quinn player not doubt .. However as you probably read my post .. Scott was out here golfing in the Grant Fuhr charity tourney and when interviewed about the possibility of coming to TO, you could feel the hostilitly in his answer as he still is holding a grudge and fired back ."Domi still plays there .."No better yet Domi still lives there?? ". Not sure one can take the intent of that quote any differently then he said it ..

I actually do not mind the idea of Leetch in fact .. I think because this is Fergy's first big deal he may want to get more out of it then just that little playoff run .. He can use this years entry draft and the 2nd he still owes NY as motivation to remind him .. I think Leetch is a real classy player and I think Carlo and Kabs and maybe even the younger Leafs like White can learn a thing or two from him .. I agree he is slowing down a little and should not be overused until perhaps playoff time..

Mind you , you know what I believe a remote possibility might be .. Rob Blake .. He is still under contract for next year however If I was GM you might consider a buyout to be able to afford Forsberg .. That might Colorado into the similar situation as we have with Nolan. That the team would prefer to keep him, yet might not have any choice in the process adjusting the team to the new cap .. Once bought out Blake could come fairly cheap..

Old
07-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Toronto wanted to trade for Blake, but was informed he would not re-sign with them when his contract ran up...he doesn't want to play here. I'd be happy to get Leetch back, after that Foote would be my choice.

Closed Thread